1979 UE Football or 1985 BHS Football Team?

Guest Guest

How big was King Rice? 5'11" 185 or so? Middlebrooks was huge...at least 6'4" 230. How big was Coleman? 6'4" 190 or so? Weren't they all the same class & year?

For the life of me, I can't find heights and weights and I had them for both the '79 UE football team and '85 BHS team. I had a few programs from the '79 UE football season and all the programs from the '85 BHS season. Probably buried in my parents basement and if I ever come across them, I'll post them. King Rice was 6 feet tall and 190lbs. He was a Junior on that '85 team. Coleman was a senior and a beast at both ends. He was about 6'2" and Middlebrooks was a Sophmore and 6'4" I'll post pics once I get a chance. I have a team pic and some random other pics. The captains on that team were Rick Coleman, Pete Regulski and Dale Spencer. Just from memory, these were the seniors:

Tom Campos

Randy Wimberly

Scott Gerdus

Mark Pompi

Bill Metera

Dale Spencer

Eugene McCants

Peter Regulski

Tony Catleka

Shawn McMahon

Tom DeNinis

Bill Diamantakos

Bob Brown

Tim Walikis

Mark Shattan

Tom Difulvio

Ray Hulbert

Joe Alig

Rick Coleman

Jay Hartman

Tony Marshall

Mark Olmstead

The Coaches were:

Steve Deinhardt

Hank Nanni

Fred Colosi (RIP - What a great guy! Sorely missed)

Doug Stento

• Replies 486
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Coaches were:

Steve Deinhardt

Hank Nanni

Fred Colosi (RIP - What a great guy! Sorely missed)

Doug Stento

Wasn't the father of the Spencer kids from the Forks teams a decade ago also an asst coach on that team? Thought I saw him in the team pic outside the BHS gym a while back.

Wasn't the father of the Spencer kids from the Forks teams a decade ago also an asst coach on that team? Thought I saw him in the team pic outside the BHS gym a while back.

I was going by memory and I know I forgot some people. You're right, Spencer was an assistant coach on that team. Sadly, I can't even find my '85/86 BHS Highschool yearbook.

Also, another assistant coach on that team I just remembered. His last name was Scott. Ralph Muro was the JV coach. He always did a heck of a job and never got any credit. Last I heard, he does a mean Frank Sinatra impersonation.

I also have a great picture of a very young Fred Dienhardt (JC Football Coach) on the shoulders of Rick Coleman. I'm guessing Rick dropped Fred on his head and didn't tell anybody

I'm giving a straight up game to Bing for the win, until the UE lovers post a roster on here. I wanna see a 160 lb. OL for UE go up against Middlebrooks at 240 lb at LB.

If memory serves, Villanti and Tatko were 6-4/240..Hess 6-5, Wesko 6-3(played for Temple)..the two guards were 200+..cannot recall the other lineman. Most athletic line from this area I've ever seen...been watching since 1965.

I don't recall the guy who played basketball with King Rice on that state championship team, but whatever his name was Middlebrooks, Wendell Mack or other... he was huge! Had a little bit of a belly but was at least 6'4" and could run....I'm thinking he was at least 230 prob more.

I don't recall the guy who played basketball with King Rice on that state championship team, but whatever his name was Middlebrooks, Wendell Mack or other... he was huge! Had a little bit of a belly but was at least 6'4" and could run....I'm thinking he was at least 230 prob more.

Chris Tolerson

Guest 87 bhs alum

The main cogs on the basketball team were:

King Rice

Rick Coleman

Robbie Middlebrooks

Chris Tolerson

Wendell Mack

Tony Marshall

All 6 also played football. These 6 guys could play with anybody in the country (either sport) and could match-up with the best the '79 UE team had to offer in football. Guys like the Regulski brothers, Diamantakos, Pompi, McCants were unsung heroes and would have matched up well with '79 UE. Listen, I'm not hating on '79 UE at all. That was a great team, but I really think bhs wins that game more time than they lose it. Basketball wouldn't have been close.

What position did those 6 BHS guys play in both football & basketball?

King Rice was a Point Guard in basketball and Running Back in football. I'm guessing played other positions in Football

Rick Coleman was a Guard/Forward in basketball and did everything but kick/punt in football

Wendell Mack was a Guard/Forward in basketball and running back, wide receiver in football. Again, probably did more.

Robbie Middlebrooks was a Center/Forward in Basketball. No clue what he played in football

Ditto Chris Tolerson. Like the 27x champ said, lots of talent, but a crybaby

Tony Marshall was a guard in basketball and not sure what he did in football. Arguably the best athlete on the team and anybody who knew him knows that's no joke. The guy just wasn't all together there.

King Rice was a Point Guard in basketball and Running Back in football. I'm guessing played other positions in Football

Rick Coleman was a Guard/Forward in basketball and did everything but kick/punt in football

Wendell Mack was a Guard/Forward in basketball and running back, wide receiver in football. Again, probably did more.

Robbie Middlebrooks was a Center/Forward in Basketball. No clue what he played in football

Ditto Chris Tolerson. Like the 27x champ said, lots of talent, but a crybaby

Tony Marshall was a guard in basketball and not sure what he did in football. Arguably the best athlete on the team and anybody who knew him knows that's no joke. The guy just wasn't all together there.

As God is my witness I once saw Tony Marshall as a freshman go up to the Universal Gym in the BHS weight room and military press the entire stack and then leg press the entire stack. No warm-up or anything. The guy was a flat-out freak.

As God is my witness I once saw Tony Marshall as a freshman go up to the Universal Gym in the BHS weight room and military press the entire stack and then leg press the entire stack. No warm-up or anything. The guy was a flat-out freak.

Hey 26.....

I saw you commented on the older women/dating thread about POF, did you see BHS's Class of '85 Lisa Tierno is on there? Oh how the mighty have fallen. I can't believe she had to resort to "internet" dating to meet a guy. Then again she was always a b*tch.

Tony Marshall was the best athlete on those BHS teams by a mile. King and Coleman were tied for second as best all around athlete. Marshall could have played basketball or football anywhere, but he was a gangster, terrible grades, punk kid.

Hey 26.....

I saw you commented on the older women/dating thread about POF, did you see BHS's Class of '85 Lisa Tierno is on there? Oh how the mighty have fallen. I can't believe she had to resort to "internet" dating to meet a guy. Then again she was always a b*tch.

Well, your post made me laugh so hard I woke my wife up. I didn't know Lisa that well, but remember the name. Did she have a sister, Karolyn? She was class of '86 and dressed to kill. Definitely a girl who did the most she could with what she had.

Well, your post made me laugh so hard I woke my wife up. I didn't know Lisa that well, but remember the name. Did she have a sister, Karolyn? She was class of '86 and dressed to kill. Definitely a girl who did the most she could with what she had.

You are correct sir! Lisa loves the local bar scene too!

QUOTE (Guest @ Mar 10 2010, 11:23 PM)

1979 UE played nobody of national prominence and finished the year without any national ranking.

Vestal 1975 played nationally ranked Brockton, MA and beat them handily. Their Top 10 final ranking in the USA Today Rankings [4 or 5 I think] is still the best showing by any Section 4 Football Team ever.

BHS 1985 played the USA Today defending national champion [Ranked #1 at the time] and blew them away. With some of the same skill position players both the Football and Basketball teams finished ranked in the Top 15 USA Today Polls. Something no other school nation wide had done before. They had athletes that neither Vestal or UE could even dream to match.

The 1979 UE team deserves consideration in this conversation without question, but the answer is:

#1 1985 BHS

#2 1975 Vestal

#3 Maybe 1979 UE [ithaca had some teams that may have been better along with Vestal]

That 1975 Vestal team was the best ever from the area. The 73-74-75 Vestal teams ran up a 36 game unbeaten streak that ended against M-E in Dick Hoover's final season (1976)

That 1975 Vestal team was the best ever from the area. The 73-74-75 Vestal teams ran up a 36 game unbeaten streak that ended against M-E in Dick Hoover's final season (1976)

Vestal 74 was tied for first with U.E. U.E. slaughtered Hoover in his final season by something like 49-6 . Vestal 75, Name the D1 players. Unbeaten streaks don't mean a thing when comparing the all time best for one season What year did the infamous Cal Harris QB Vestal?

Vestal 74 was tied for first with U.E. U.E. slaughtered Hoover in his final season by something like 49-6 . Vestal 75, Name the D1 players. Unbeaten streaks don't mean a thing when comparing the all time best for one season What year did the infamous Cal Harris QB Vestal?

Harris was QB the 78 team that went unbeaten.

75 D1 players...Mark Pineiro, Steve Garlock, Mark Selsmeyer

Vestal 1975 played nationally ranked Brockton, MA and beat them handily. Their Top 10 final ranking in the USA Today Rankings [4 or 5 I think] is still the best showing by any Section 4 Football Team ever.

Their Top 10 final ranking in the USA Today Rankings [4 or 5 I think] is still the best showing by any Section 4 Football Team ever.

USA Today rankings are horse manure anyway. They only reward unbeatens. Way too often you see two top unbeaten teams play, say a 3 and a 6 rank, one wins by a point and the loser drops out of the poll.

Other national rankings are horse crap too. 2004 Forks was ranked #16 overall in the nation by CalPreps, #5 by MaxPreps. Yeah..right. (and I played for CF and bleed CF blue).

Oh, and by the way, The USA Today wasn't even around in the 70s, was some other poll you are thinking of.

USA Today rankings are horse manure anyway.

ALL rankings are horse manure. It's hard enough to rank teams in state much less nationally. National rankings are a COMPLETE joke. It's rare that the highest ranked team in NY state in any of the 5 classes at the start of states actually wins the darn thing. Since 1996, I bet the average number of the 5 classes is less than 2.0.

I mean seriously, how the heck can you rank national HIGH schools? LOL.

USA Today rankings are horse manure anyway. They only reward unbeatens. Way too often you see two top unbeaten teams play, say a 3 and a 6 rank, one wins by a point and the loser drops out of the poll.

Other national rankings are horse crap too. 2004 Forks was ranked #16 overall in the nation by CalPreps, #5 by MaxPreps. Yeah..right. (and I played for CF and bleed CF blue).

Oh, and by the way, The USA Today wasn't even around in the 70s, was some other poll you are thinking of.

Rankings can be considered "subjective"...however, they are no more or no less "horse crap" than any of the other subjective measures used in this discussion. Personal recollection of teams and players is, by definition, subjective.

Not quite...when you have a core team of individual players who put played on unbeaten teams in 73, 74 (8-0-1) and 75...culminating in a powerhouse unbeaten team in 75...that unbeaten streak has merit.

Guest John Fox

75 D1 players...Mark Pineiro, Steve Garlock, Mark Selsmeyer

Garlock is best know for his movies for John Solak. Those three guys don't come close to the talent U.E. assembled in 1979. Binghatmon 85 beats vestal and so does U.E. 1989. Vestal 75 is tied with M.E. 2012

Rankings can be considered "subjective"...however, they are no more or no less "horse crap" than any of the other subjective measures used in this discussion. Personal recollection of teams and players is, by definition, subjective.

Strongly disagree. At least people here, biased or not, have SEEN the teams in question, unlike the ultimate ranker in any poll or rankings.

Archived