1979 UE Football or 1985 BHS Football Team?

Guest Guest

1976 Binghamton Central football team was one of the best. A lot of size and a lot of talent. They tied with UE for the STAC championship. UE beat Central but lost to Ithaca. Central beat Ithaca that year. Both teams were very good, but I give the edge to Central.

U-E was upset by a horrible Ithaca team that year. Ithaca had a losing record. Give the edge to Central all you want, but U-E beat Central. Case dismissed.

• Replies 486
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1976 Binghamton Central football team was one of the best. A lot of size and a lot of talent. They tied with UE for the STAC championship. UE beat Central but lost to Ithaca. Central beat Ithaca that year. Both teams were very good, but I give the edge to Central.

Can you be a little more specific about "A lot of size and a lot of talent"? Fran Generelli, a big lineman, comes to mind as one that ended up going to Rutgers on a ride. Not sure about the rest of the team.

Also, I'm sure when you say "I give the edge to Central" you are comparing '76 Central to "76 UE.

Just a clairification.

Can you be a little more specific about "A lot of size and a lot of talent"? Fran Generelli, a big lineman, comes to mind as one that ended up going to Rutgers on a ride. Not sure about the rest of the team.

Also, I'm sure when you say "I give the edge to Central" you are comparing '76 Central to "76 UE.

Just a clairification.

I think 1976 was the last year Hover coached at Vestal. I don't know the exact score but U.E. destroyed Hoover thatr year by something close to 50-0.

• 2 weeks later...

Just a clairification.

You are correct about giving the edge to Central 76 over UE 76. I think both of these 76 teams were very good but didn't get mentioned in the thread. As for size, yes, Genarelli was big, so was Tim Palmer, Kurt Pollak, Mike Talbot and Mark Feeko. I've probably missed a few. The game has changed though so I should qualify that statement. The players were big for that era. Central sent a lot of players to college teams that year...in all divisions. Pessagno to Drake. Genarelli to Rutgers, Palmer to Harvard to name a few D1 schools.

If there were not unbeaten, they do not have a place in the discussion of greates teams of all time from BC or Section 4.

If there were not unbeaten, they do not have a place in the discussion of greates teams of all time from BC or Section 4.

How about the JC teams that were unbeaten for about 3-4 straight years back in the early 80's?

How about the JC teams that were unbeaten for about 3-4 straight years back in the early 80's?

2 straight years, 81 and 82 they were 10-0, but no, not nearly at the same level as 79 U-E nor 85 Binghamton. The 80 and 83 JC teams were 9-1.

Just a little known fact: Rick Coleman who was arguably the best player on that 1985 team didn't start playing football until his junior year.

No experience

Starts as a Junior

Leads the '85 team as a senior to the top spot in NYS

D1 Scholarship

Not bad for just 2 years of football

• 2 weeks later...

There has been many great teams from this area over the years. Ithaca ('late '60s, early '70s, Vestal ('60's and '70's), JC ('40s and early '80s),

M-E (early 70s, '04) S-V (early 70's, Binghamton ('40's & mid 80s), and U-E ('30s, '40s, '79, '89) all have had outstanding teams.

There were great players on all these teams. Many went on to play college ball- at every level.

And anybody who played college football knows- there are some very good football players at Division 2 and Division 3 too.

It is impossible to compare different eras, for obvious reasons.

But it is very funny to hear people attempt to take shots at the '79 U-E team. That team was very good.

The two most highly recruited players, Steve Villanti and Ken Tatko, would have been Division 1 players in any era.

Villanti was a 6'4" 285 lb. starting offensive guard for Syracuse. He helped lead the Orangemen to a major upset in '84-

knocking off powerful Nebraska. Tatko was in training camps of the Cowboys and Raiders in the mid 80's. He did not make

the final cut, but he was an athletic 6'6", 275 lb. defensive lineman who was very good. Villanti and Tatko were football players/track guys who

dominated in high school and did a great job in college. Eddie Koban was a 3 year starting cornerback, and

returned punts for 4 years at Syracuse. Gary Beddoe was a 6'2" receiver (and track star) who broke all the career

receiving records at U-E. He played at Rutgers. Their program was not as strong as it is today, but he played

with and against several future NFL players. He had some injuries, and competed with some very athletic receivers

(including at least 1 who played in the NFL) for playing time. Jim Newfrock was a tough cornerback who was a 3 year starter

for a very good University of Delaware team. He also played with and against several future NFL players. Chuck Wesko played on scholarship

at Temple University. If Carl Norris (U-E's fastest player) didn't blow his knee out, he would have played college ball. We could go on and on.

The Binghamton teams from the mid '80s had slightly more speed at the skill positions than U-E '79.

But there is no question that the U-E front lines (especially the d-line) would have had a major advantage.

That '79 U-E team would have been good in any era, and the players would have been a lot bigger and a little faster if playing today.

Those guys love to watch recent U-E stars like Jordan Thomas, Jerod Veruto, Arthur Jones, and Chandler Jones play.

And when they were young, they looked up to players like Tom Mason, Bob Veruto, Tom Bennett, Dom Pisani, and Monte Cole.

There is a rich tradition in this area, and this is a very interesting topic.

We are all entitled to opinions, but there is no need to knock any of these great teams (U-E or Binghamton).

And proper respect should also be shown to other great teams- especially Ithaca and Vestal from many years ago.

There has been many great teams from this area over the years. Ithaca ('late '60s, early '70s, Vestal ('60's and '70's), JC ('40s and early '80s),

M-E (early 70s, '04) S-V (early 70's, Binghamton ('40's & mid 80s), and U-E ('30s, '40s, '79, '89) all have had outstanding teams.

04 M-E does not belong in the equation. Were Class A and yes they did go unbeaten, but they trailed by 3 TDs in the second half of their first playoff game and got quite fortunate, and also trailed in their last two games. More power to them, they won them all, but they were far from dominant when matched against the best, giving up 4 TDs a game in the playoffs. Not even close to the same level of 79 U-E, Binghamton 85 etc.

There were great players on all these teams. Many went on to play college ball- at every level.

And anybody who played college football knows- there are some very good football players at Division 2 and Division 3 too.

It is impossible to compare different eras, for obvious reasons.

But it is very funny to hear people attempt to take shots at the '79 U-E team. That team was very good.

The two most highly recruited players, Steve Villanti and Ken Tatko, would have been Division 1 players in any era.

Villanti was a 6'4" 285 lb. starting offensive guard for Syracuse. He helped lead the Orangemen to a major upset in '84-

knocking off powerful Nebraska. Tatko was in training camps of the Cowboys and Raiders in the mid 80's. He did not make

the final cut, but he was an athletic 6'6", 275 lb. defensive lineman who was very good. Villanti and Tatko were football players/track guys who

dominated in high school and did a great job in college. Eddie Koban was a 3 year starting cornerback, and

returned punts for 4 years at Syracuse. Gary Beddoe was a 6'2" receiver (and track star) who broke all the career

receiving records at U-E. He played at Rutgers. Their program was not as strong as it is today, but he played

with and against several future NFL players. He had some injuries, and competed with some very athletic receivers

(including at least 1 who played in the NFL) for playing time. Jim Newfrock was a tough cornerback who was a 3 year starter

for a very good University of Delaware team. He also played with and against several future NFL players. Chuck Wesko played on scholarship

at Temple University. If Carl Norris (U-E's fastest player) didn't blow his knee out, he would have played college ball. We could go on and on.

The Binghamton teams from the mid '80s had slightly more speed at the skill positions than U-E '79.

But there is no question that the U-E front lines (especially the d-line) would have had a major advantage.

That '79 U-E team would have been good in any era, and the players would have been a lot bigger and a little faster if playing today.

Those guys love to watch recent U-E stars like Jordan Thomas, Jerod Veruto, Arthur Jones, and Chandler Jones play.

And when they were young, they looked up to players like Tom Mason, Bob Veruto, Tom Bennett, Dom Pisani, and Monte Cole.

There is a rich tradition in this area, and this is a very interesting topic.

We are all entitled to opinions, but there is no need to knock any of these great teams (U-E or Binghamton).

And proper respect should also be shown to other great teams- especially Ithaca and Vestal from many years ago.

I agree with your post except for one glaring mistake. U.E. not Binghamton had more speed at the skill positions.

Halfback, Norris 100 yard dash champ, slight edge over Rice

Fullback Marsh had tailback speed but will give a slight edge to Colemen from Binghamton

QB big edge Fast Edddie Koban for U.E.

wideout Gene Bucci was the 440 yard dash champ and he could fly. Slight edge Bucci and U.E.

wideout Beddoe from U.E. and Binghamton 2nd wideout equal.

speed in skill positions edge U.E.

Guest Guest

Who ever said the '79 U-E team was big needs to go look at their web site and watch the film from that year. The entire line was tiny. They had a couple guys who were tall but no one was big and dominating size wise like a Veruto or Jones - not even close. These guys would get thrown by the bigger linemen of today.

Guest guest

Who ever said the '79 U-E team was big needs to go look at their web site and watch the film from that year. The entire line was tiny. They had a couple guys who were tall but no one was big and dominating size wise like a Veruto or Jones - not even close. These guys would get thrown by the bigger linemen of today.

And the 2010 Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers with a 10-6 regular season record would have dominated the 1972 Undefeated Miami Dolphins. Those “Tiny” linemen for the Dolphins “would get thrown by the bigger linemen” on the Packers of today. It still does not diminish the accomplishments of those 72 Dolphins. The average size of linemen (High School, College, Professional) is larger across the spectrum today versus yesteryear. Your statement is irrelevant.

Just another little known fact. Johno Kabbendjian would have played for that 1985 BHS team, but his family moved out of the area to St. Louis and he ended up playing for the #1 ranked High School team and was a starter. He went on to play at Texas A&M and played pro ball in Europe. I talked with him recently and now he's very successful and heavily into horse racing. I know it doesn't mean much, but just an interesting tidbit.

Lots of arguments about speed between the 2 teams. We'll never know unless we can go back in time and have them race against each other. Track titles are a moot point unless they raced against each other. Same with size and strength. I could get out the old programs, but the heights and weights listed were so far off it was laughable. I was listed as 6'4", 245 lbs. Off by about 2 inches and 20 pounds.

I was listed as 6'4", 245 lbs. Off by about 2 inches and 20 pounds.

Yeah, but in full equipment you were probably 6-4 and 245, no? I was listed at 6-5 and 210, but was 185 and 6-3 in my BVDs. I always figured the rosters were fully dressed ht and wt. I'll have to ask my coach if there was a standard amount they added for small players, larger players.

W

Guest Guest

That team of 79 would have wiped the field with any team Jones or Veruto played on.

Guest Guest

That team of 79 would have wiped the field with any team Jones or Veruto played on.

Sure they would've gramps. The days of 180 pound linemen are long gone. Can't coach size, speed, and strength. The accomplishments of '79 are fantastic, but stop with the greatest ever talk. Maybe for their era, but times have changed, and today's teams are tested in State Tourney play, unlike teams of yesteryear.

Guest Guest

Sure they would've gramps. The days of 180 pound linemen are long gone. Can't coach size, speed, and strength. The accomplishments of '79 are fantastic, but stop with the greatest ever talk. Maybe for their era, but times have changed, and today's teams are tested in State Tourney play, unlike teams of yesteryear.

Listen Sonny, I've watched High School football in this area for over 40 years and the 1979 UE Team and 1985 BHS team could beat any team in 2011 from this area and it wouldn't even be close. Size, Speed and Strength don't change that much in 25-30 years.

Guest Guest

1985-1986 Season STAC Champions

Baseball: U-E

Basketball boys: Binghamton

Bowling boys: U-E

Cross Country boys: Binghamton

Football: none. Binghamton, EFA and JC won divisions. Binghamton clearly the best.

Golf boys: U-E

Soccer boys: Oneonta

Swimming boys: Binghamton & Norwich won divisions

Tennis boys: Vestal

Track & Field boys: Vestal

Wrestling: Vestal

Basketball girls: Binghamton

Bowling girls: U-E

Cross country girls: Binghamton

Field Hockey: M-E

Gymnastics: Vestal

Soccer girls: Ithaca

Softball: U-E

Swimming girls: U-E and M-E won divisions

Tennis girls: Binghamton

Track & Field girls: Vestal

Volleyball: U-E

its 7 for binghamton and ue you idiot

I have to agree with Gramps. Our large schools just don't cut it anymore. Not enough enrollment to stock a team with football players. Too many imposters. As far as size goes, I don’t see that today’s teams are that much bigger other than a few select players.

Using BHS as an example, their OT’s last year were at least 30 pounds less each than the OT’s my HS team my last year, and that was long ago.

And no, they weren’t fat guys. Ted played and started real D1 [not this Colgate, etc. BC] and the first time I saw him after he started his freshman year was X-Mass and they had him up to 6’5” and about 270 lbs. Our other OT had some small time D1 interest, but he opted for D2 for academic reasons. I guess his plan worked he’s a $100K+/per year guy now. Must be nice!

Guest Guest

The 71 JC team had like 6 straight shutouts. They also lost that year to UE 3-0 on a last second feild goal. They had a monster of a defense that year led by coach Paul Munley.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest guest

Listen Sonny, I've watched High School football in this area for over 40 years and the 1979 UE Team and 1985 BHS team could beat any team in 2011 from this area and it wouldn't even be close. Size, Speed and Strength don't change that much in 25-30 years.

The Binghamton team had the most talent. they were the fastest evan without King rice. endicott did not play any talent. Binghamton played the number 1 team in the us and beat them! Patriots hands down!

Guest Guest

I have to agree with Gramps. Our large schools just don't cut it anymore. Not enough enrollment to stock a team with football players. Too many imposters. As far as size goes, I don’t see that today’s teams are that much bigger other than a few select players.

Using BHS as an example, their OT’s last year were at least 30 pounds less each than the OT’s my HS team my last year, and that was long ago.

And no, they weren’t fat guys. Ted played and started real D1 [not this Colgate, etc. BC] and the first time I saw him after he started his freshman year was X-Mass and they had him up to 6’5” and about 270 lbs. Our other OT had some small time D1 interest, but he opted for D2 for academic reasons. I guess his plan worked he’s a $100K+/per year guy now. Must be nice!

size dont matter its technique

Guest ShutDown

Just a little known fact: Rick Coleman who was arguably the best player on that 1985 team didn't start playing football until his junior year.

No experience

Starts as a Junior

Leads the '85 team as a senior to the top spot in NYS

D1 Scholarship

Not bad for just 2 years of football

[/quote

Coleman wasn't even close to being the best athlete on that team! Just cause he either kicked your ass or ran past you doesn't mean anything, except you SUCK. Bosco Spivey was 5x the athlete Coleman was, and yes K. Rice was a better overall athlete than Coleman....no question. Yes, Coleman was a load at 6'4' and 260, but King at 5'11" and 185 would destroy him on the bball court. Speed, Strength, Quickness, Power = Rice. Size and height doesn't mean anything...you meathead.

Archived