1979 UE Football or 1985 BHS Football Team?

Guest Guest

Guest Guest
FOR STARTER, no ever said they had world class speed,

Yes you did by saying they have gone sub 4.4 in the 40. That is world class speed, thats why anyone who knows anything about running knows you are full of it. At this time in the NFL there are less than 50 players timed in less than 4.4 officially in a 40 at the combine. When less than 50 players at the top of the world in the sport are that fast, its world class speed. Watch Chris Johnson from the Titans simply out run people and you'll see what a 4.3 type 40 really does for someone (he actually ran sub 4.3).

• Replies 486
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest CODY MACKLIN
Yes you did by saying they have gone sub 4.4 in the 40. That is world class speed, thats why anyone who knows anything about running knows you are full of it. At this time in the NFL there are less than 50 players timed in less than 4.4 officially in a 40 at the combine. When less than 50 players at the top of the world in the sport are that fast, its world class speed. Watch Chris Johnson from the Titans simply out run people and you'll see what a 4.3 type 40 really does for someone (he actually ran sub 4.3).

Dude give it up, you were caught in lie. leave it alone

• 8 months later...
Guest Parman72

Yes the 1985 BHS football team won a state championship and the 1985 BHS basketball team won a state championship. One thing that people forget is that the 1985 BHS baseball team went to the state semi-finals (final four). That was probably the best athletic class of any school in the area at any time.

Guest Fierce Tiger

Yes the 1985 BHS football team won a state championship and the 1985 BHS basketball team won a state championship. One thing that people forget is that the 1985 BHS baseball team went to the state semi-finals (final four). That was probably the best athletic class of any school in the area at any time.

Not even close. The U.E. class of 79 that graduated in 1980 won practically every sport there was. Go to the U.E. gym and look at all the banners for the different sports. You will see championships in almost every sport that year. Binghamton was never any good in 85 in soccer, wrestling, golf, bowling, in fact they were usually doormats in those sports.

Rice and a couple others were the only one of your group that did anything after high school

That U.E. football team had about 11 D1 players (depending what you call D1) and another 6 guys in D3. The basketball team had 3 guys play in the Big East, nopbody before or since has come close to that.

Yes the 1985 BHS football team won a state championship and the 1985 BHS basketball team won a state championship.

State championships in football didn't start until 1993. Of course the sportswriters had rankings before then, but that's hardly a state championship. The sportswriters are not connected to the state's athletic association.

Yes the 1985 BHS football team won a state championship and the 1985 BHS basketball team won a state championship. That was probably the best athletic class of any school in the area at any time.

1985-1986 Season STAC Champions

Baseball: U-E

Basketball boys: Binghamton

Bowling boys: U-E

Cross Country boys: Binghamton

Football: none. Binghamton, EFA and JC won divisions. Binghamton clearly the best.

Golf boys: U-E

Soccer boys: Oneonta

Swimming boys: Binghamton & Norwich won divisions

Tennis boys: Vestal

Track & Field boys: Vestal

Wrestling: Vestal

Basketball girls: Binghamton

Bowling girls: U-E

Cross country girls: Binghamton

Field Hockey: M-E

Gymnastics: Vestal

Soccer girls: Ithaca

Softball: U-E

Swimming girls: U-E and M-E won divisions

Tennis girls: Binghamton

Track & Field girls: Vestal

Volleyball: U-E

Not even close. The U.E. class of 79 that graduated in 1980 won practically every sport there was. Go to the U.E. gym and look at all the banners for the different sports. You will see championships in almost every sport that year.

Graduating in 1980 is the class of 1980, not 1979. Fall 1979, spring 1980. You likely knew that, typo.

1979-1980 Season STAC Champions

Baseball: Seton CC

Basketball boys: U-E

Bowling boys: Binghamton North

Cross Country boys: U-E

Football: none. U-E and CV won their divisions. U-E best in STAC, no one would argue

Soccer boys: Ithaca

Swimming boys: U-E & Norwich won divisions

Tennis boys: Binghamton Central

Track & Field boys: U-E

Wrestling: Johnson City

Basketball girls: Owego

Bowling girls: SV

Cross country girls: Owego

Soccer girls: Oneonta

Softball: Vestal

Swimming girls: U-E & Norwich won divisions

Tennis girls: Binghamton Central

Track & Field girls: Binghamton Central

Volleyball: Binghamton Central

<!--quoteo(post=559374:date=Mar 12 2010, 02:47 PM:name=Guest)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Guest @ Mar 12 2010, 02:47 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=559374"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Buffalo Sweet Home / Susan B, Wagner ( Staten Island).........79 definately the best of all time.....Size,Speed and provewn D1 talent ( Syr,Rut,WF)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

They did not play Sweet Home, they played Bishop Timon. Timon and Wagner are both scrub teams who are never any good at football. Proves nothing. Get the transitive property out of here with that Ithaca garbage, too. Henninger was 2nd best team in Syracuse? Says who? Again, get out of here with this '79 team myth. I don't care about scholarships. They probably gave them out because the team was winning and figured, "these guys must be able to play." I'll bet none of these players did anything at the next level. In my opinion, '95 and '00 were better than '79 because they accomplished more, beating good teams outside of the section and winning double-digit games, something '79 didn't do.

-Old U.E. Alum

They played Buffalo Sweet Home , Susan Wagner (Staten Is) you nit wit!

This has been debated on here before. Which school had the better Football Team and why?

Final National Ratings Usa Today. I believe that they clobbered Berwick that year when they were rated near the top at the time. If Binghamton had been a little better known nationally in previous years they may have been rated in the top 10 or 5. The UE team would have looked like Wile E Coyote trying to catch the road runner.

1. -East St. Louis (Ill.) Senior (14-0)

2. Houston Yates (16-0)

3. Athens (Ga.) Clarke Central (15-0)

4. Indianapolis Warren Central (14-0)

5. Union (N.J.) (11-0)

6. Kirkland (Wash.) Juanita (13-0)

7. Hazelwood (Mo.) Central (14-0)

8. Cincinnati Moeller (13-1)

9. Brockton (Mass.) (11-0)

10. Doylestown (Pa.) Central Bucks West (11-0)

11. Greensboro (N.C.) Page (15-0)

12. Hampton (Va.) (14-0)

13. West Rome (Ga.) (15-0)

14. River Ridge (La.) John Curtis (13-0)

15. Vista (Calif.) (13-0)

16. Omaha (Neb.) Creighton Prep (12-0)

17. Binghamton (N.Y.) Central (10-0)

18. Washington (D.C.) Archbishop Carroll (10-0)

19. Pittsburgh North Hills (12-0-1)

20. Pensacola (Fla.) Escambia (13-1)

21. Cincinnati Princeton (11-1)

22. Traverse City (Mich.) (13-0)

23. Concord (Calif.) De La Salle (11-1)

24. Marion (Iowa) Linn-Mar (12-0)

25. Phoenix (Ariz.) St. Mary's (14-0)

Final National Ratings Usa Today. I believe that they clobbered Berwick that year when they were rated near the top at the time.

The USA Today national rankings have always been a big joke. They pretty much reward only unbeatens. Often you'll see say, #3 meet #5, both unbeaten and #3 beats #5 say, 24-21. What happens that makes it a joke is the now beaten #5 teams drops totally out of the rankings. Even seen it in some 1 vs 2 or 1 vs 3 games and one barely beat the other. While they do have a couple or three or four once-beatens in their final top 25 every season, but it's a joke that many 1-loss teams dropped totally out after losing closely to a top ten team.

So my argument is using these rankings as a basis for saying which of these two local teams was better is totally ludicrous since the poll itself is.

The USA Today national rankings have always been a big joke. They pretty much reward only unbeatens. Often you'll see say, #3 meet #5, both unbeaten and #3 beats #5 say, 24-21. What happens that makes it a joke is the now beaten #5 teams drops totally out of the rankings. Even seen it in some 1 vs 2 or 1 vs 3 games and one barely beat the other. While they do have a couple or three or four once-beatens in their final top 25 every season, but it's a joke that many 1-loss teams dropped totally out after losing closely to a top ten team.

So my argument is using these rankings as a basis for saying which of these two local teams was better is totally ludicrous since the poll itself is.

While these polls are far from 100% accurate, that fact that a team makes the list makes a strong statement.

BHS had two major sports teams ranked in the top 15 of the USA Today polls. You are correct in that maybe they should have been top 10 or maybe 20-25?

The problem with your argument is that there are dozens of unbeaten teams every year that do not make the list, so it isn’t based solely on record alone.

Having not played on any of the teams, but having seen them [bHS & UE] all my votes goes for 1985 BHS as the best teams of all-time. I did not see the 1975 Vestal football team that blew away the top 10 ranked Brockton team, my only disclaimer.

Guest AgingUETiger

Final National Ratings Usa Today. I believe that they clobbered Berwick that year when they were rated near the top at the time. If Binghamton had been a little better known nationally in previous years they may have been rated in the top 10 or 5. The UE team would have looked like Wile E Coyote trying to catch the road runner.

1. -East St. Louis (Ill.) Senior (14-0)

2. Houston Yates (16-0)

3. Athens (Ga.) Clarke Central (15-0)

4. Indianapolis Warren Central (14-0)

5. Union (N.J.) (11-0)

6. Kirkland (Wash.) Juanita (13-0)

7. Hazelwood (Mo.) Central (14-0)

8. Cincinnati Moeller (13-1)

9. Brockton (Mass.) (11-0)

10. Doylestown (Pa.) Central Bucks West (11-0)

11. Greensboro (N.C.) Page (15-0)

12. Hampton (Va.) (14-0)

13. West Rome (Ga.) (15-0)

14. River Ridge (La.) John Curtis (13-0)

15. Vista (Calif.) (13-0)

16. Omaha (Neb.) Creighton Prep (12-0)

17. Binghamton (N.Y.) Central (10-0)

18. Washington (D.C.) Archbishop Carroll (10-0)

19. Pittsburgh North Hills (12-0-1)

20. Pensacola (Fla.) Escambia (13-1)

21. Cincinnati Princeton (11-1)

22. Traverse City (Mich.) (13-0)

23. Concord (Calif.) De La Salle (11-1)

24. Marion (Iowa) Linn-Mar (12-0)

25. Phoenix (Ariz.) St. Mary's (14-0)

Guest AgingUETiger

Oops!

I thought we buried this topic last May.

In 1979 U-E was 9-0, STAC Champions, Ranked #1 in New York State, and Ranked #18 in National the Poll.

www.hsfdatabase.com/nsns1979.htm

In 1985 Binghamton was 10-0, STC Champions, Ranked #1 in New York State, And Ranked #17 in the National Poll.

Both were great teams from the Southern Tier.

I fail to see where the comment: “The UE team would have looked like Wile E Coyote trying to catch the road runner” is relevant or justified.

The problem with your argument is that there are dozens of unbeaten teams every year that do not make the list, so it isn’t based solely on record alone.

Huh? Of course there are dozens of unbeatens who do not make the list. The list is only 25 long and there are far more than that unbeaten. So let's say the final Top 25 were ALL unbeaten and threre were 150 unbeatens in the USA. How is my argument any less valid? yes, tehre are a handful of once-beatens in teh final poll, but please explain to me how that poll can be looked at seriously when in mid season #1 beats #3 21-17 and #3 drops totally out of the poll?

<!--quoteo(post=558936:date=Mar 11 2010, 05:03 PM:name=Guest)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Guest @ Mar 11 2010, 05:03 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=558936"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Seen them both play. Can't argue with Angeline - who is probably the closest thing to a local Football historian that there is around here.

Binghamton - 35

UE - 21

Binghamton was just as big, but much faster and they ran a more complex offensive scheme. They went down to Berwick, Pa. and beat a nationally ranked team in their own backyard (complete with home-cookin officials).

They beat them so convincingly that Berwick wanted no part of a home and home agreement to play BHS up here (No mas - No mas).

Sorry Paulie Walnuts - Big Fran knows what time it is.

End of story ...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Angeline never said Binghamton had a better team. Read his book, he will tell you 79 was the best. The 85 Binghamton team was Junior laden. The following year in 86 They lost to U.E. 20-6. The 86 U.E. team was not in the same league as the powerhouse juggernaut U.E. team of 1979.

Angeline did NOT say 1979 was the best in his book. He did say that the 1975 Vestal team had the best claim as the best team ever based on their final 4 or 5 national ranking.

Me, I grew up a Vestal hater!

Graduating in 1980 is the class of 1980, not 1979. Fall 1979, spring 1980. You likely knew that, typo.

Football: none. U-E and CV won their divisions. U-E best in STAC, no one would argue

Thank you so much for posting this information. I've been looking for it for years and wasn't able to put it all together. Nice job. Also with the 1985/1986 Season.

Thank you so much for posting this information. I've been looking for it for years and wasn't able to put it all together. Nice job. Also with the 1985/1986 Season.

It's all available at www.stacshowcase.com in pdf form up thru 2004. years after have their own web page.

Guest Bulldog

This is the post everybody has been waiting for. Finally, we can shut up all the 1979/1980 UE folks who claimed they won a championship in every sport including chess and tiddlywinks.

Angeline did NOT say 1979 was the best in his book. He did say that the 1975 Vestal team had the best claim as the best team ever based on their final 4 or 5 national ranking.

Me, I grew up a Vestal hater!

Condidered the BEST HC in the area...Dick Hover said it.....79 was the best team he had ever seen in these parts....read in Angelines book....that goes a long way....

Condidered the BEST HC in the area...Dick Hover said it.....79 was the best team he had ever seen in these parts....read in Angelines book....that goes a long way....

CV and UE won the STAC Championships that year.

At that time no one champ.UE Division 1 and CV division 2

Who knows who would have won between those 2 teams.

Most would pick UE but nobody thought the Giants would have beaten the then undefeated Patriots who smoked everyone the year the Giants upset the Pats.

I say CV would have won. Just sayin.

CV and UE won the STAC Championships that year.

At that time no one champ.UE Division 1 and CV division 2

Who knows who would have won between those 2 teams.

Most would pick UE but nobody thought the Giants would have beaten the then undefeated Patriots who smoked everyone the year the Giants upset the Pats.

I say CV would have won. Just sayin.

CV may have won their division that year, but they were 7-2. No idea who they lost to. However, had they met, U-E by at least 6 TDs before the 3rd quarter started.

1976 Binghamton Central football team was one of the best. A lot of size and a lot of talent. They tied with UE for the STAC championship. UE beat Central but lost to Ithaca. Central beat Ithaca that year. Both teams were very good, but I give the edge to Central.

Archived