1979 UE Football or 1985 BHS Football Team?

Guest Guest

Coleman wasn't even close to being the best athlete on that team! Just cause he either kicked your ass or ran past you doesn't mean anything, except you SUCK. Bosco Spivey was 5x the athlete Coleman was, and yes K. Rice was a better overall athlete than Coleman....no question. Yes, Coleman was a load at 6'4' and 260, but King at 5'11" and 185 would destroy him on the bball court. Speed, Strength, Quickness, Power = Rice. Size and height doesn't mean anything...you meathead.

If Rick Coleman weighed 260 lbs. then I'm Derek Jeter. I saw King and Rick play numerous times 1 on 1 basketball and it was dead even. I never understood why Rick played D1 Football. He easily could have been D1 basketball. Probably why he transferred to Buffalo to play basketball with Robbie Middlebrooks. Bosco Spivey 5x the athlete Coleman was? Are you serious? :lol::lol::lol:

• Replies 486
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Guest

Coleman wasn't even close to being the best athlete on that team! Just cause he either kicked your ass or ran past you doesn't mean anything, except you SUCK. Bosco Spivey was 5x the athlete Coleman was, and yes K. Rice was a better overall athlete than Coleman....no question. Yes, Coleman was a load at 6'4' and 260, but King at 5'11" and 185 would destroy him on the bball court. Speed, Strength, Quickness, Power = Rice. Size and height doesn't mean anything...you meathead.

Spivey better than Coleman, Coleman better than Spivey... who cares. They both didn't do anything respectable at the College level. I looked in the UMass Media guide and Coleman never even lettered at UMass. From my understanding Spivey didn't last a year at Colgate.

Spivey better than Coleman, Coleman better than Spivey... who cares. They both didn't do anything respectable at the College level. I looked in the UMass Media guide and Coleman never even lettered at UMass. From my understanding Spivey didn't last a year at Colgate.

Coleman transferred to Buffalo to play basketball with Robbie Middlebrooks and they both went on to have VERY successful careers there. What he should have done in the first place. He could have played at a much better college (along with Robbie), but he received some incredibly bad advice from both Deinhardt and Corgel. Neither one of them at the time had any experience with recruiting and lots of athletes were shut out on great opportunities. The smartest thing King Rice ever did was play for Dean Smith at UNC. He came close to choosing NC State and that would have been a disaster considering what happened to that program and Jim Valvano. I think SU would have been a decent fit for Rice, but UNC is like the mafia. You're in it for life and he has reaped rewards by going there that he wouldn't have gotten anyplace else. Dean Smith knows how to take care and look out for his players LONG after their college days are over.

Guest expatriot

Ok folks,,, I just could not stand to read this anymore....I played with Rick Coleman.... one of the hardest hitters on the field...one of the best athletes to ever play.... he did not want to play football in college...after a week at Umass decided he wanted to play BBall.... must have been a amazing athlete to jump to another sport and the college took him in the blink of an eye...and for the record...Rick Coleman was not 260 some pounds...he was about 185!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

as for who was a better team.... I am a former Patriot...so you know where my heart is!!

Guest Guest

Ok folks,,, I just could not stand to read this anymore....I played with Rick Coleman.... one of the hardest hitters on the field...one of the best athletes to ever play.... he did not want to play football in college...after a week at Umass decided he wanted to play BBall.... must have been a amazing athlete to jump to another sport and the college took him in the blink of an eye...and for the record...Rick Coleman was not 260 some pounds...he was about 185!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

as for who was a better team.... I am a former Patriot...so you know where my heart is!!

Yeah, I think the person got Coleman mixed-up with Middlebrooks. Middlebrooks was the huge monster back on those Binghamton teams at 6'4" and 240.

Guest Guest

what football positions did they play? King Rice was a RB, Spivey was a CB maybe WR, what did Coleman and Middlebrooks play? Didn't Middlebrooks play FB? Who was the QB...Ray Stanton?....that kid was way overrated.

Guest patriot

The QB was Mark Olmstead...Stanton did not play on the championship team.... Rick Coleman played fullback his senior year...his junior year he played DB.... he also returned punts and kick-offs.... the o-line was faito.. spencer...diamontakos... regulski..pompi...with tollerson at TE...King was the TB..... this team was not huge by anymeans...but they had speed... they got off the ball...the reason they did so well is due to the running philosphy of Dienhardt....trap...trap...trap.... if the D-lineman stood around and tried to watch for the ball carrier the next thing they knew they had been trapped.... then the power off tackle game... nothing fancy at all... just very efficient...

Guest Guest

Just a little known fact: Rick Coleman who was arguably the best player on that 1985 team didn't start playing football until his junior year.

No experience

Starts as a Junior

Leads the '85 team as a senior to the top spot in NYS

D1 Scholarship

Not bad for just 2 years of football

Just so we're clear, Bosco was not on the 85 team, he was class of '91. Bosco did go to Colgate for 1 year and transferred to the University of Rochester.

Guest Guest

Just so we're clear, Bosco was not on the 85 team, he was class of '91. Bosco did go to Colgate for 1 year and transferred to the University of Rochester.

Why did he transfer? Lol!!!!

Guest Guest

The QB was Mark Olmstead...Stanton did not play on the championship team.... Rick Coleman played fullback his senior year...his junior year he played DB.... he also returned punts and kick-offs.... the o-line was faito.. spencer...diamontakos... regulski..pompi...with tollerson at TE...King was the TB..... this team was not huge by anymeans...but they had speed... they got off the ball...the reason they did so well is due to the running philosphy of Dienhardt....trap...trap...trap.... if the D-lineman stood around and tried to watch for the ball carrier the next thing they knew they had been trapped.... then the power off tackle game... nothing fancy at all... just very efficient...

Was Coleman a year older than Rice? Rice did not play football as a senior.

Guest Guest

Yes...Rick Coleman was a year ahead of King....King was not a hard hitter ...matter of fact not a hard runner...it was his vision...he was able to see the whole field... thats what made him good.... Coleman on the other hand could run by you...or run over you...

I would say that the UE team had better size in 79 .... they had a couple of huge OT's....

Fran used a 6-1 defense in 85 against the Patriots...he knew how well the Pats trapped and did all he could to stop it...I think the final score was like 41 to 6...i could be wrong on that one... and UE had Mike Crounse who was no slacker...that guy could play... just could not match the speed that Bingo had that year..

Guest Guest

For Binghamton from 1984-1986....everyone knows Middlebrooks was the main man and an absolute monster on the football field and basketball court. At 6'4" and 240-250 lbs and almost the fastest kid on that Bingo team as a HS senior, he destroyed everyone.

For Binghamton from 1984-1986....everyone knows Middlebrooks was the main man and an absolute monster on the football field and basketball court. At 6'4" and 240-250 lbs and almost the fastest kid on that Bingo team as a HS senior, he destroyed everyone.

He was just an above average DB. I doubt he was 200#. Rice a no hit great cover guy at safety and Coleman could do it all at the other DB.

Guest Guest

Something this is missing is this....Binghamton had great role players.... like UE most likely did also.... for example...Scott Gerdus...played outside backer at 135 pounds on that championship team....this kid was why Binghamton was successful....he played way above his size... he had heart...passion and desire... this post has spoken nothing but about the talent... we are missing what really makes a team.... the team players themselves!!!!!!!!

Guest Guest

Something this is missing is this....Binghamton had great role players.... like UE most likely did also.... for example...Scott Gerdus...played outside backer at 135 pounds on that championship team....this kid was why Binghamton was successful....he played way above his size... he had heart...passion and desire... this post has spoken nothing but about the talent... we are missing what really makes a team.... the team players themselves!!!!!!!!

If you are talking about the kid who played right defenseve end in that wide tackle six of Dineharts' I have to agree with you that he had heart.

Talk about a blast from the past. Where is Scott Gerdus these days? He was like the Tazmanian Devil. The '85 BHS team, just like the '79 UE team just had everything working at the right time. The Perfect Storm so to speak of talent, role players and kids who just got along and played well together. This area will be VERY lucky if another team like those two comes around again. Just look at the memories these 2 teams have invoked. One of the longest running threads on BCVoice with a lot of decent debate. I'd love to put together a video of the '85 Team (also the basketball team), but the last I talked with my parents they can't find any yearbooks or any of the VHS tapes from all the games that were televised by WBNG.

Guest Guest

Talk about a blast from the past. Where is Scott Gerdus these days? He was like the Tazmanian Devil. The '85 BHS team, just like the '79 UE team just had everything working at the right time. The Perfect Storm so to speak of talent, role players and kids who just got along and played well together. This area will be VERY lucky if another team like those two comes around again. Just look at the memories these 2 teams have invoked. One of the longest running threads on BCVoice with a lot of decent debate. I'd love to put together a video of the '85 Team (also the basketball team), but the last I talked with my parents they can't find any yearbooks or any of the VHS tapes from all the games that were televised by WBNG.

Someone put alot of time and effort into this site. Excellent job.....

http://79tigers.magix.net/

Someone put alot of time and effort into this site. Excellent job.....

http://79tigers.magix.net/

Wow! You're not kidding! Excellent job is right! I thought I'd check it out for a few minutes and I've already been on for around an hour and I'm still not done. Kids and most people today don't realize just how good that team was. People out there have the resources to do something similiar for the '85 BHS team (and basketball team). Just a matter of gettting enough people together along with the pictures and game videos.

I remember watching live and in person the '79 UE team beat the crap out of Central 78-0. I was there with George Mack's brother, Wendell (who went on to star on the '85 BHS team). Makes me wonder that much more what it would have been like to watch the '79 UE team go up against the '85 BHS team. Thanks for providing the link

Guest Johnny Wishbone

Wow! You're not kidding! Excellent job is right! I thought I'd check it out for a few minutes and I've already been on for around an hour and I'm still not done. Kids and most people today don't realize just how good that team was. People out there have the resources to do something similiar for the '85 BHS team (and basketball team). Just a matter of gettting enough people together along with the pictures and game videos.

I remember watching live and in person the '79 UE team beat the crap out of Central 78-0. I was there with George Mack's brother, Wendell (who went on to star on the '85 BHS team). Makes me wonder that much more what it would have been like to watch the '79 UE team go up against the '85 BHS team. Thanks for providing the link

27 Time....If you've only been on an hour, you haven't been to the end of the video. Great closing to a great song. Also, check out the reunion photos. One good thing about a forum people on here can go on for years about who was better, and guess what, although I'm partial to UE, probably nobody would be wrong.

Guest Guest

27 Time....If you've only been on an hour, you haven't been to the end of the video. Great closing to a great song. Also, check out the reunion photos. One good thing about a forum people on here can go on for years about who was better, and guess what, although I'm partial to UE, probably nobody would be wrong.

they won 9 games against teams they had more talent than. they also didn't have playoffs. i know every single coach and player on the team. was it a great year??? yes. but let's not get carried away.

Guest Facts

That is a great job, what a keepsake for those players to share with future family and friends. I wonder who ever put that togetherif they have access to past yrs. of UE games on film. UE had many great games with local schools, over the yrs. not just Vestal. JC, Binghamton, North Etc. how about JC vs UE ar UE in fall of 77 when JC won on a last second field goal. It was a great game. Is there any chance of that game on film?

Guest Johnny Wishbone

they won 9 games against teams they had more talent than. they also didn't have playoffs. i know every single coach and player on the team. was it a great year??? yes. but let's not get carried away.

Hey genius, the majority of the time you do win games against teams you have more talent than. It says they won the stac championship. They beat every team in stac who would have had a chance at the championship. It also says they were RANKED #1 in NYS. Not that they won a State Championship. So, whoever did all the work, and put together the site, did NOT mis-represent what they did. They put it exactly how it was. So, what was carried away?

Archived