How much more $ on this river "recovery"?

Guest Susquehana Swimmer

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Guest
Drugged out fool??????? Without the body, you know nothing. You don't even know if he intended to commit suicide.

There is something really wrong with you to be so hardened against someone you do not know.

I can assure you that if you ask 100 people if they thought they had a good chance of dying if they jumped off that bridge at that spot, 99 would say "He11 yeah."

Are you aware that the majority of successful suicides (and unsuccessful attempts) are committed by people with substance abuse problems?

The stats alone will tell you that it was likely this guy was likely an addict or alcoholic, or both.

It's got nothing to do with being judgemental. Because a young man willfully took his own life, anyone who doesn't pity him is guilty of being cold hearted.

I've been there. I've stared down the barrel of a full throttle addiction and wanted nothing more than to die. I got help and got clean. It was my responsibility, MY decision and my actions that kept me alive and got me "cured."

I find the longer I live, the less sorry I feel for people who can't find a way to live without hurting themselves and other people. If I were his family, I'd be DELETED at him for doing that. You can bet that some of them, amongst the pain and sorrow they feel, are mad at him for doing this from time to time.

Anger is part of grieving.

A good friend of mine killed himself with drugs and booze, and I'm still DELETED at him 20 years later.

I do feel bad for his family and his fiance, but not for him. He made the choice.

Drugged out fool??????? Without the body, you know nothing. You don't even know if he intended to commit suicide.

There is something really wrong with you to be so hardened against someone you do not know.

I don't agree with the callousness of this poster, and maybe suicide was not the intent...but jumping off a bridge in mid April in upstate NY is not a good idea. I nearly drowned as a youth at Deer Lake as the frigid water sapped the strength from my body. Thank God, I had an older, athletic sister who rescued me. Whether the boy is in hiding (doubtful), or he unfortunately drowned, there comes a time, when you have to accept the inevitable, he hasn't been clinging to a log for several days. As it's been so crudely stated before, when the river recedes, his body will be recovered. Say a prayer for his family!

Sleepless, I agree with what you are saying in a way. But the family is not the only ones who want this boy found. I am certain the firefighters/rescuers want him found as well. They all will dream of this young man and he will haunt them until he is located. We have to allow them to be able to say enough and let them know they did all they could to locate him for his family. This isn't about just the family anymore....

@

Sleepless, I agree with what you are saying in a way. But the family is not the only ones who want this boy found. I am certain the firefighters/rescuers want him found as well. They all will dream of this young man and he will haunt them until he is located. We have to allow them to be able to say enough and let them know they did all they could to locate him for his family. This isn't about just the family anymore....

@

Tazz, then say a prayer for the firefighters, rescuers, and friends as well, and anyone else involved, to seek peace with themselves that they did what they could. Other than the slim chance the boy is in hiding, the grim reality is he drowned. They've talked about the BFD tragedy at Rockbottom dam in the '70's, but I was eyewitness to another one, the same location at about the same time. A bunch of us had summer jobs with the city and were having our lunch break at the old Binghamton Bath's site across from Crowley's. A young boy named Billy Lowe slipped on the rocks and fell into the river. Our crew foreman, a young muscular black man in his early twenties managed to reach out and grab Billy's hand. He held on with everything he had, but Billy's life was eventually swept away by the river when he could no longer hang on. I remember him holding his head in his hands and sobbing uncontrollably! I'm off tangent on the OP, but for all the racist threads I see on here, when "push comes to shove", color doesn't matter! I apologize for misdirecting this thread.

Tazz, then say a prayer for the firefighters, rescuers, and friends as well, and anyone else involved, to seek peace with themselves that they did what they could. Other than the slim chance the boy is in hiding, the grim reality is he drowned. They've talked about the BFD tragedy at Rockbottom dam in the '70's, but I was eyewitness to another one, the same location at about the same time. A bunch of us had summer jobs with the city and were having our lunch break at the old Binghamton Bath's site across from Crowley's. A young boy named Billy Lowe slipped on the rocks and fell into the river. Our crew foreman, a young muscular black man in his early twenties managed to reach out and grab Billy's hand. He held on with everything he had, but Billy's life was eventually swept away by the river when he could no longer hang on. I remember him holding his head in his hands and sobbing uncontrollably! I'm off tangent on the OP, but for all the racist threads I see on here, when "push comes to shove", color doesn't matter! I apologize for misdirecting this thread.

I agree that color does not matter to most of us at any time.

I do say a prayer for all those people, they will live with this for a very long time. They have admitted this is a recovery mission. But both family and rescuers have to know that everything possible to be tried/done has been. I agree to keep looking for months is a waste of resources, but we just can not put a time limit on how long something like this should take. The river changes daily this time of year.... they could not use the sonar one day due to to much soot, it had to be done the next day. So if it takes a week for them to say they have done all that is possible, then it takes a week. If they can do it in two days, then it takes two days. I just don't think anybody has the right to say it should only be three days (or whatever) with so many different factors that need to be considered.

Anyway, just my own two cents.

@

Guest Guest
It's got EVERYTHING to do w/ being judgemental.

Yeah, you're right. If you're the judgemental type, it does.

Some of us can have opinions about people and life and not be judgemental.

I agree that color does not matter to most of us at any time.

I do say a prayer for all those people, they will live with this for a very long time. They have admitted this is a recovery mission. But both family and rescuers have to know that everything possible to be tried/done has been. I agree to keep looking for months is a waste of resources, but we just can not put a time limit on how long something like this should take. The river changes daily this time of year.... they could not use the sonar one day due to to much soot, it had to be done the next day. So if it takes a week for them to say they have done all that is possible, then it takes a week. If they can do it in two days, then it takes two days. I just don't think anybody has the right to say it should only be three days (or whatever) with so many different factors that need to be considered.

Anyway, just my own two cents.

@

You know you're two cents or three cents, are never wasted on me, because I respect your opinion. Poptart and other's valiant attempts on Sunday to find this boy, were very noble, and unselfish... but this is the following Thursday. Time to face the inevitable...God bless this young man's soul! I hope I am proven wrong as I will gladly "eat crow" the rest of my life, but I think not!

@

You know you're two cents or three cents, are never wasted on me, because I respect your opinion. Poptart and other's valiant attempts on Sunday to find this boy, were very noble, and unselfish... but this is the following Thursday. Time to face the inevitable...God bless this young man's soul! I hope I am proven wrong as I will gladly "eat crow" the rest of my life, but I think not!

It's not a matter of if he is alive or dead. It is a matter of recovering the body so the family can bury him and have closure. Imagine the pain the family would go through in a couple of months if the body appeared one day. They would relive this horrible event all over again. The river levels are receeding, during the beginning of the search the river was not at a level condusive to finding him. As long as the conditions are improving, give the team a chance to find him.

@

Guest Guest
No, just realistic.

Should the entire world stop and morn because someone may have taken their own life?

I have more important things to do. I have no sorrow for the guy. Yet it's costing me money.

OK.....I assume, then, that if your house catches fire you will pay the tab for the fire, police, and EMS response. Don't talk about insurance....your problem costs me money, in insurance premiums. Also, if you get in a car wreck, we can assume that you'll pay for the tab on that one, right?

@

Guest Guest

What if he wasn't on drugs...but he had a problem with his sugar levels? What if the whole thing was caused by insulin levels being off? Then would you consider it to be suicide? Then would you consider him to have been drugged out?

That's my 2 cents to everyone that "knows" what he must have been thinking, and those that think this could only have been a self indulgent act.

@

Guest Guest
yeah, i don't think so. if you see the video, there is no way in hell that they expended that sort of effort for a DELETED life vest. give BFD a little credit.

Sorry, but I am right. I remember reading about it in the paper. They saw the lide preserver in the dam and thought the body was connected to it. 2 Firefighters died. The body was recovered far from the dam.

http://www.sailingbreezes.com/sailing_bree...arch06/damm.htm

Guest Guest
What if he wasn't on drugs...but he had a problem with his sugar levels? What if the whole thing was caused by insulin levels being off? Then would you consider it to be suicide? Then would you consider him to have been drugged out?

That's my 2 cents to everyone that "knows" what he must have been thinking, and those that think this could only have been a self indulgent act.

@

Insulin shock doesn't make people jump off bridges into rivers. It'll make you lethargic, not act suicidal.

Sorry, but I am right. I remember reading about it in the paper. They saw the lide preserver in the dam and thought the body was connected to it. 2 Firefighters died. The body was recovered far from the dam.

http://www.sailingbreezes.com/sailing_bree...arch06/damm.htm

Wasn't it 3 total...the 1st one the day of the accident, then the other 2 the next day?

Guest Guest
Wasn't it 3 total...the 1st one the day of the accident, then the other 2 the next day?

I think you are correct. And we all got to watch it over and over again on at the start of WBNG News. :angry:

Guest Guest

Yes, it was. The 2 that died in the attempt to retrieve the "body" were a captain and the chief. Probably 2 of the most out of shape people on a duty. Before you start, Let me just say that the firefighters are younger and tend to be in better shape than the captains and chiefs.

Another interesting thing about this, I remember my father telling me that one of the 2 that died in the failed rescue attempt had just had surgery. The doctor opened him up, saw that cancer had spread all through his body, then closed him up and gave him the bad news. He never should have been on that river.

@

Guest Guest

Most of the people looking are volunteers so what are you paying for gas for the motors? They aren't using a helicopter anymore are they?

@

Insulin shock doesn't make people jump off bridges into rivers. It'll make you lethargic, not act suicidal.

I don't think the OP was talking about insulin shock. I think they were alluding to the fact that when someones insulin levels are off, they aren't necessarily thinking straight. It can affect mood and temperment.

@

Archived