new restuarant

mulligan

Guest Guest

DELETED

Wow. Whoever posted this has some major issues. If it was just whoever read it, and is possibly in the biz, you should find another lifeline, cuz you're not a people person.

If it happens to actually be said hostess, she should read the news more often --- e.g. about employees who get fired after posting crap like this.

Either way, a seriously f-ed up post, and even more so, considering the post she/he attacked was actually NOT bashing the business, as many prior were.

Yikes! :blink:

• Replies 516
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Cuomo

It's perfectly safe there. It's not like it's some lonely corner, it's pretty much line-of-sight to the Forum, the Lost Dog, the Mad Moose, and a few dozen apartment units. Besides, what's wrong with ramp parking?

I think the biggest issue with the location is visibility. They need to do something to draw attention to it, make the corner more eye-catching. It's an odd lot, so it's just not something a lot of people look directly at as they come through. Honestly, it's hard to tell it's open unless you notice the foot traffic. In most cities, restaurants that want to draw some attention to their storefront will hang up some white Christmas-style lights or something like that, which has a nice effect during warmer weather. Might work well for them to go a little overboard, with so much cross-traffic from so many directions.

We went in to check it out based on this thread and we enjoyed it. There were a couple kinks to work out (for example, the hostess was apparently confused about transferring our bar tab over to the table, which should be a simple thing), but service was quick, the environment was pleasant and well-appointed with comfortable space between seating (including at the bar), and the food was solid. Our wait for a table was very short, and they were doing plenty of business. I think the Italian beef is a first for the area. I'm always a little frustrated with how plain most cooking is around here, so having something flavorful that I grew up with served at a local restaurant made me happy. Wasn't the way my family makes it, but I know it's similar to what some popular Italian beef shops do, and the flavor was good. The fries were very good, the salad was alright but I thought the dressing needed a little something. Definitely a reasonable price ($30) for two sizable sandwiches with sides and two drinks from the bar. Did not try the desserts, but they had some stuff that looked great, and I'm curious about some of the other sandwiches.

Bar needs more good scotch, but as far as I know, so does just about every other bar in Broome County.

I am an Italian. Please enlighten me. WTF is Italian beef? There is no such thing.

Guest Guest

I am an Italian. Please enlighten me. WTF is Italian beef? There is no such thing.

I googled it. It appears it was never made in Italy. It is a Chicago invention. The poster who said he grew up on it is either full of crap or from Chicago.

Guest Guest
DELETED

Very classy, a shining representative of the fine service economy that makes Binghamton such a popular and reputable destination, for sure.

Literally everywhere I've ever been, in many, many cities in both the United States and the United Kingdom, transferring the bar tab to your table has always gone without saying. I've never heard a word about it or seen anybody get confused by it.

Any reasonably modern point-of-sale system can easily sort bar transfers for tip-out, and plenty of restaurants do actually separate those totals to give a full share of the tip to the bartender. Worst case scenario, they could bring the bar bill to the table with the dinner bill, but this isn't the '70s and two bills shouldn't be necessary to differentiate who served what.

If you have a problem with the way tip-out works at your restaurant or the servers aren't getting proper oversight and are able to cheat you, take it up with your boss and get the accounting right, but save the attitude with the customer, who tips on the same total amount regardless of how screwed up your internal politics are. It's not their job to fight the bar crowd and try to flag you down to settle the tab while their party and empty table are waiting.

Very classy, a shining representative of the fine service economy that makes Binghamton such a popular and reputable destination, for sure.

Literally everywhere I've ever been, in many, many cities in both the United States and the United Kingdom, transferring the bar tab to your table has always gone without saying. I've never heard a word about it or seen anybody get confused by it.

Any reasonably modern point-of-sale system can easily sort bar transfers for tip-out, and plenty of restaurants do actually separate those totals to give a full share of the tip to the bartender. Worst case scenario, they could bring the bar bill to the table with the dinner bill, but this isn't the '70s and two bills shouldn't be necessary to differentiate who served what.

If you have a problem with the way tip-out works at your restaurant or the servers aren't getting proper oversight and are able to cheat you, take it up with your boss and get the accounting right, but save the attitude with the customer, who tips on the same total amount regardless of how screwed up your internal politics are. It's not their job to fight the bar crowd and try to flag you down to settle the tab while their party and empty table are waiting.

How many POS systems have you set up? It is no like buying a computer at wallmart. Going home pulling it out of the box and turning it on.

You need to program each unit. How about we give them a chance?

Guest Guest

Nice article in the paper today about a few downtown places. I think it is a great thing. Once the student housing opens hopefully we see a lot more opening up downtown!

The owner of Mondays said thet served 850 meals in 3 days, that is what the expected to serve the first month. So there may be kinks because they are much busier than they anticipated, which isn't a bad thing! The prices sound very resonable, anyone who thinks they are not is a cheapskate. And stop comparing the prices to a #2 at McDonalds, that is not even real food.

Guest Guest

I googled it. It appears it was never made in Italy. It is a Chicago invention. The poster who said he grew up on it is either full of crap or from Chicago.

Settle down, Francis! Why so hostile? That poster could very well be from Chicago, OR have had it prepared at home. Either way, it's nothing to go into attack mode about.

I've seen it (Italian Beef) on the food channel and travel channels, and always thought it looked good, so now plan on trying it at BM's. :)

Guest Guest

Does anyone know what is going at the Kilmer building???? New Restaurant ?????

From today's PSB:

Remlik's is scheduled to open March 21 in the Kilmer building at 31 Lewis St., co-owner Mike Tulsey said.

http://www.pressconnects.com/article/20110305/BUSINESS/103040398/Restaurant-revival-breathes-life-into-downtown-Binghamton?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|FRONTPAGE

Guest Guest

Rose DiRienzo owns it, and it is NOT affiliated in anyway with the bakery except for the fact that Rose is a sister in law. I wish her all the luck in the world. And from what I hear, the 8 dollar a glass house wine is too expensive for the local scumbags to afford-so it should keep the riff raff down. Good Luck Rose!

Not affiliated, except by blood? :rolleyes: Funny, this article says DAN owns it.

I guess you don't know it all, huh?

Amici

DiRienzo said he was a truck driver for a custom molding company for the past 4 1/2 years until he quit the full-time job to open Amici. Before that, he had delivered bread for the family-owned business Di Rienzo Bros. Bakery & Deli, at 152 Henry St.

Opening Amici at the former Frankie's Tavern location down the road "was like coming home," he said. The owner of the bar had bought the building from the Di Rienzo family in 1997. Dan DiRienzo's mother then bought the property back in late 2009, and the bar closed.

"I believe in Binghamton," DiRienzo said. "There's more to Binghamton than downtown State Street."

http://www.pressconnects.com/article/20110305/BUSINESS/103040398/Restaurant-revival-breathes-life-into-downtown-Binghamton?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|FRONTPAGE

Guest Guest
How about we give them a chance?

To clarify, I posted the original review there that apparently upset that "deleted" person. I meant nothing negative about the restaurant by pointing that out, and that poster has no idea what they're talking about: I reminded the hostess (who is a different person from the bartender, for crying out loud) that we had a bar tab to transfer when she came to seat us, as she seemed like she was rushing and might forget. She understood it, acknowledged it as we walked to our table, and then, I guess, nothing happened. It left the bartender trying to figure out where the two of us went. It was a minor miscommunication, just a very quirky one that sounded like some of the staff might still be learning some things. It was fine, it just doesn't need to happen and waste the bartender's time, is all. The hostess was seating us and everything should be smoothly transferred to our seat.

Maybe I didn't make it obvious that it's from a different part of the country. Nobody said it was authentic food from Italy, but that's what tens of millions of people have called it for about a hundred years. It's one of those localized Italian-American things that caught on and stuck. Even the cooking bit on WBNG featured a recipe a couple of weeks ago, but they managed to come up with a lazy version that was all wrong, using pre-cooked deli roast beef and bell peppers. They weren't even close.

There's a few ways to do it, but what most people I knew did was a small jar of pepperoncinis, a beer (a lager or something similar), and a mix of seasonings in a slow-cooker until the roast is tender enough to fall to shreds. It's an all-day thing, but it's not difficult, and made properly it's just about the most savory and juicy beef sandwich you can find.

The recipe at Burger Mondays runs a little too far on the plain side, in my opinion, and I don't know if I'd recommend it for a first time eating Italian beef. However, it was tasty on its own, was close enough to remind me of what it should taste like, and the owner seems aware that there's room for improvement on that sandwich. I'm yet to meet anybody I've made my recipe for who didn't ask for more, Italian or otherwise. You just have to make sure you have enough people to eat it, because once the roast comes apart and you start putting it on rolls, it's a ton of food.

Guest guest

We went to Burger Monday on Saturday. Honestly, it was disappointing. The burger was at best mediocre. The service was fine, and the owner was very friendly. My wife doesn't allow me to have burgers often, but I have had far better ones at The Beef, the bar at #5 and the bar at Lampy's, and although I hate chains, Outbacks. It will make a fine alternative hangout for the State Street crowd, it will not be competition for Lost Dog. Once the novelty of a "new" establishment wears off (ala Sonic Burger) they will be in trouble. I wish them luck, in order to bring in the adult crowd as repeat customers they will have to improve the menu and the product.

Guest Guest

Suggest you check the BC website. That says otherwise. I honestly don't care, but you keep blasting out like you're in the know, and I don't think you are.

Guest Guest

Ate at Burger Mondays this weekend. The burgers are good, as are the fries. I thought the prices were reasonable. I am not sure how well they could do over the long run serving just burgers. I like a burger once and a while but not every weekend. we go out to eat every weekend most Fridays and Saturdays. We frequent Lost Dog and like their menu variety, the interesting 2-3 specials they have every night and they also change the menu every few months so we dont get bored. It keeps us coming back frequently. We will probably go there again but not as often as Lost Dog. I do hope they make it because I definitely like having more options in Binghamton.

Interesting they were out of desert....

Guest Guest

I think it'd be prudent to remember that Saturday was Parade Day.

LOTS of people downtown, and entirely possible to run out of things.

Guest guest

Rose DiRienzo, Dan's mother owns Amici's. Everything is in her name including the liqeour license.

I beg to differ jacka$$. Check the NYS liquor authority website and see who has the license! Amici is owned by Dan DiRienzo and only Dan DiRienzo. His mother only owns the property.

To clarify, I posted the original review there that apparently upset that "deleted" person. I meant nothing negative about the restaurant by pointing that out, and that poster has no idea what they're talking about: I reminded the hostess (who is a different person from the bartender, for crying out loud) that we had a bar tab to transfer when she came to seat us, as she seemed like she was rushing and might forget. She understood it, acknowledged it as we walked to our table, and then, I guess, nothing happened. It left the bartender trying to figure out where the two of us went. It was a minor miscommunication, just a very quirky one that sounded like some of the staff might still be learning some things. It was fine, it just doesn't need to happen and waste the bartender's time, is all. The hostess was seating us and everything should be smoothly transferred to our seat.

Maybe I didn't make it obvious that it's from a different part of the country. Nobody said it was authentic food from Italy, but that's what tens of millions of people have called it for about a hundred years. It's one of those localized Italian-American things that caught on and stuck. Even the cooking bit on WBNG featured a recipe a couple of weeks ago, but they managed to come up with a lazy version that was all wrong, using pre-cooked deli roast beef and bell peppers. They weren't even close.

There's a few ways to do it, but what most people I knew did was a small jar of pepperoncinis, a beer (a lager or something similar), and a mix of seasonings in a slow-cooker until the roast is tender enough to fall to shreds. It's an all-day thing, but it's not difficult, and made properly it's just about the most savory and juicy beef sandwich you can find.

The recipe at Burger Mondays runs a little too far on the plain side, in my opinion, and I don't know if I'd recommend it for a first time eating Italian beef. However, it was tasty on its own, was close enough to remind me of what it should taste like, and the owner seems aware that there's room for improvement on that sandwich. I'm yet to meet anybody I've made my recipe for who didn't ask for more, Italian or otherwise. You just have to make sure you have enough people to eat it, because once the roast comes apart and you start putting it on rolls, it's a ton of food.

They have italian beef at burger mondays?

Guest Guest

Braciole

No. ^^^

An Italian beef is a sandwich of thin slices of seasoned roast beef, dripping with meat juices, on a dense, long Italian-style roll, believed to have originated in Chicago, where its history dates back at least to the 1930s.[1] The bread itself is often dipped (or double-dipped) into the juices the meat is cooked in, and the sandwich is typically topped off with Chicago-style giardiniera (called "hot") or sauteed, green Italian sweet peppers (called "sweet").

Italian beef sandwiches can be found at most hot dog stands and small Italian-American restaurants throughout the city of Chicago and its suburbs. They are difficult to find outside the Chicago metropolitan area. However, Chicago expatriates have opened restaurants across the country serving Italian beef, Chicago-style hot dogs, and other foods original to the Chicago area.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Italian_beef

Guest Guest

Nice article in the paper today about a few downtown places. I think it is a great thing. Once the student housing opens hopefully we see a lot more opening up downtown!

The owner of Mondays said thet served 850 meals in 3 days, that is what the expected to serve the first month. So there may be kinks because they are much busier than they anticipated, which isn't a bad thing! The prices sound very resonable, anyone who thinks they are not is a cheapskate. And stop comparing the prices to a #2 at McDonalds, that is not even real food.

Bull crap!! 100 meals a day is ALOT for a specialized eatery. If this post was about Buffet Star when they opened I'd believe it but not this hole-in-the-wall ""upscale"" burger joint. You can fool Matt Ryan but not us BC Voicers!

Guest Guest

Bull crap!! 100 meals a day is ALOT for a specialized eatery. If this post was about Buffet Star when they opened I'd believe it but not this hole-in-the-wall ""upscale"" burger joint. You can fool Matt Ryan but not us BC Voicers!

Do NOT include the rest of us in your ignorant rants.

Archived