Seton Buffer Basketball Thread 2011-2012

Guest Guest

Binghamton by 20 easily...far too quick and athletically superior. SCC is more likely to get into foul trouble. If (and a big IF at that) they are able to keep pace down the court, SCC players may try (though likely a tad or so late) to take the charge and instead accumulate blocking fouls. Defensive pressure will be the issue for SCC not Binghamton.

Agreed. Binghamton by 20 ... unless Seton can play aggressive enough defense to frustrate Binghamton into not playing as a team and resorting to "street ball" and "hero mode" ... then Binghamton only wins by single digits.

• Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not sure who will win but if I was the Seton coach I would call it quits after this year. That is going to be one ugly program after this year.

JC will be god awful after this year too. All five starters are seniors and they have nothing at the lower level.

These 2 teams are head and shoulders above the rest of the teams in this area (BIG DROP-OFF). Neither team having a real scare. Expect a close game at the BU Events Center. If I were handicapping this game I'd make Binghamton a 2 point favorite. Could go either way. BHS is stronger 1 thru 7, but Torto is the best player on the floor. Will be interesting to see if Springer puts Rose on him. Last year at the DWI - Torto got the best of that match-up for sure. Rose has a much better supporting cast now though. Smothers will need to bring his A game. If he doesn't, or he gets in foul trouble, Seton is in trouble. Same holds true for Edwards on BHS. Without him patroling the paint - Binghamton's D is greatly compromised (as evidenced by a weak Vestal team keeping it close at he DWI this year).

These 2 teams are head and shoulders above the rest of the teams in this area (BIG DROP-OFF). Neither team having a real scare. Expect a close game at the BU Events Center. If I were handicapping this game I'd make Binghamton a 2 point favorite. Could go eithetor way. BHS is stronger 1 thru 7, but Torto is the best player on the floor. Will be interesting to see if Springer puts Rose on him. Last year at the DWI - Torto got the best of that match-up for sure. Rose has a much better supporting cast now though. Smothers will need to bring his A game. If he doesn't, or he gets in foul trouble, Seton is in trouble. Same holds true for Edwards on BHS. Without him patroling the paint - Binghamton's D is greatly compromised (as evidenced by a weak Vestal team keeping it close at he DWI this year).

You forget that Binghamton had already beat Vestal quite handily before the DWI tournament without Edwards. Vestal is a far better team than you give them credit for. I would call them underachievers. When they put a good game together they could beat anyone or come close. They beat UE by 15 and made it look easy and then turn around and lose to an inferior Horseheads team. They just weren't consistent but had the talent.

JC will be god awful after this year too. All five starters are seniors and they have nothing at the lower level.

JC plays SCC in the first round of the sectionals on Tuesday so JC's season will end there. They can start getting ready for baseball.

You forget that Binghamton had already beat Vestal quite handily before the DWI tournament without Edwards. Vestal is a far better team than you give them credit for. I would call them underachievers. When they put a good game together they could beat anyone or come close. They beat UE by 15 and made it look easy and then turn around and lose to an inferior Horseheads team. They just weren't consistent but had the talent.

Sorry Vestal - by "weak" I meant in comparison to the teams that Vestal has put on the floor in the past . Certainly no where near the talent level that BHS will face when they leave the Section.

I live in Bingo. Own a big house. Pay $13,000 in property taxes and don't ask for a red penny from the Binghamton School District. My kids go to Seton. The "goodness of their hearts" my arse. How much property tax do you pay butt munch? We should get much more from those scumbags than we do. But that's ok. So long as the public school teachers have all those great benefits is all that matters, right?

Are you looking for sympathy? Or trying to make yourself sound like a big deal. I really don't care how much your property taxes are and it's completely irrelevent to the discussion. You choose to send your kids to Seton so you really shouldn't whine. What I find hard to understand is how a group of people who are supposedly so bright and successful just can't understand something that is very obvious. The catholic schools are allowed to participate as a priviledge, they could all be tossed out if that's what the organization wants to do.

Oh btw, I couldn't care less about the public school teachers and their benefits. I think a lot of them should be fired along with most of the administrators.

New York State Federation of Secondary School Athletic Associations

is comprised of "Secondary" schools.

That means.....public, religious (including Catholic, Jewish, Protestant, etc) and private schools (independant schools....charging sometimes 60K/yr.).

Where do you get your notion that the "public schools allow the non-public schools" to be in the league?

We are all residents of "the state". We all pay state taxes. What is your point?

Do you not understand that the Metro New York Area is arranged a little differently than the rest of the state? They are divided into groups. The have about 11 milllion people. The rest of "upstate" New York State schools plays amongst schools because of geographic issues.

Just like "the city" is the largest when speaking of NYC. The counties are smaller and make up the largest entity......"the city". Here in Broome County it is the opposite. The city is smaller than the county.

Please explain what "privledge" you are talking about??????

New York State Federation of Secondary School Athletic Associations

is comprised of "Secondary" schools.

That means.....public, religious (including Catholic, Jewish, Protestant, etc) and private schools (independant schools....charging sometimes 60K/yr.).

Where do you get your notion that the "public schools allow the non-public schools" to be in the league?

We are all residents of "the state". We all pay state taxes. What is your point?

Do you not understand that the Metro New York Area is arranged a little differently than the rest of the state? They are divided into groups. The have about 11 milllion people. The rest of "upstate" New York State schools plays amongst schools because of geographic issues.

Just like "the city" is the largest when speaking of NYC. The counties are smaller and make up the largest entity......"the city". Here in Broome County it is the opposite. The city is smaller than the county.

Please explain what "privledge" you are talking about??????

You forgot to include the part about "public" secondary schools. I'm sure that was an accident on your part. The "priviledge" part comes in when it is clearly stated a non-public school has to petition for membership. Oh, and you can see in section f how the other member schools in the section vote to accept the application and decide which classification (for those of you who whine about SCC's classification) I added emphasis to make it easier for you to follow. Got it?

http://www.nysphsaa....ndbook_1012.pdf

CONSTITUTION OF THE NYSPHSAA, INC.

ARTICLE I - Purpose

To provide a central association through which public secondary schools of the

State may cooperate for the following ends. This association shall be the organization

responsible for governing interscholastic athletic activities for boys and girls in grades

7-12 in its member schools. Nonpublic schools may petition and be accepted for full

membership

f ) Nonpublic schools which are registered with the State Education Department

may become members of the NYSPHSAA by payment of the annual fee provided the

member schools in any section and the State Executive Committee votes to authorize

those schools making application. Section athletic councils may determine the

appropriate classification for their nonpublic school and charter school members.

ARTICLE III-MEMBERSHIP:

1. Membership in this Federation shall be open to these recognized Associations

representing secondary schools chartered by the State Education Department: New

York State Catholic High Schools Athletic Association, New York State Public High

School Athletic Association, Public Schools Athletic League of the City of New York,

and NYS Association of Independent Schools Athletic Associations of this State. Other

Associations may apply for membership in this Federation if organized on a similar

basis as the member Associations named above.

2. The governing Board of each of these Associations shall ratify this Constitution

in order to approve membership in this Federation.

Religious Freedom Restoration Act

First Amendment

Equal Protection

So sorry....but you can't say you don't like someone because of their religion.

this is a 501c-3 non-profit

it is a sport thing for children

within the United States

you cannot discriminate because of religion

Would you please tell me what "NYSPHSAA" stands for? The fact they pay dues is irrelevant and wasn't the point.

The organization's name is misleading. This is from the NYSPHSAA website's website:

Mission Statement

The New York State Public High School Athletic Association Inc. is a non-profit, voluntary, educational service organization composed of public, parochial, and private schools dedicated to providing equitable and safe competition for the students of its member schools. Membership is open to secondary schools providing interschool athletic activities for boys and girls in grades 7-12

Guest Clear Thinker

This is getting comical now. Someone posted the exact wording that clearly says non-public schools are only admitted if the public schools in the section agree to let them in. But the people who don't like to admit they are wrong can't bring themselves to read the very clearly written statement and accept it. So they twist themselves all up and try to confuse the issue. I am not surprised since these are the same people who equate their kids having to hold bake sales to raise money to the conditions many kids in the public schools have to endure. What an amazing entitlement mentality they have. Just be happy you are allowed in and let it go at that.

Religious Freedom Restoration Act

First Amendment

Equal Protection

So sorry....but you can't say you don't like someone because of their religion.

this is a 501c-3 non-profit

it is a sport thing for children

within the United States

you cannot discriminate because of religion

Dear victim .............. it has nothing to do with religion. It's about public vs private schools. That shouldn't be hard to understand.

Sorry Vestal - by "weak" I meant in comparison to the teams that Vestal has put on the floor in the past . Certainly no where near the talent level that BHS will face when they leave the Section.

Yes, you are very correct.

Who cares about the wording...seton plays in STAC, and will play in STAC (until they close in the next 5 years or so).

They are going to win another STAC title tomorrow...with only 250 kids, you've gotta tip your cap to the basketball program for a dominate decade or so and move on. they will stink next year, so this is their last time in the sun.

Who cares about the wording...seton plays in STAC, and will play in STAC (until they close in the next 5 years or so).

They are going to win another STAC title tomorrow...with only 250 kids, you've gotta tip your cap to the basketball program for a dominate decade or so and move on. they will stink next year, so this is their last time in the sun.

No STAC title tonight. Binghamton destroyed them by 24.

Torto is a good player, but he was average (if that) tonight. Non-existent and not able to get his shot or in offensive position against the quicker Sampson or same-sized Rose. At times it looked as though he was uninterested in the game, just going off into the corner and trying to allow his teammates to play 4 on 4 against a much more athletic Binghamton team. Binghamton was damn impressive with their defensive effort and sharing of the ball....their hand-off offense showed just how physically and athletically superior they were to Seton.

Seton is a good team and will win Sectionals and should make noise in the state tournament....but Binghamton really is that much better, but they eventually will have Mount Vernon waiting for them and that should be a fun game to watch.

Guest no halo

sAINTS ARE DESTROYED..you will never see that in sun bull by k stevens. today he elevates his beloved AINTS, by giving us a geography lesson..he gushes the AINTS are nearly unbeatable by new york opponents..does this mean the vsaints regularly beat such ny opponents as newburgh, mt vernon, james d?? of course not..the AINTS esteemed regular ny opponents.. are the forks.. the point..the valley..all noteworthy hotbeds of basket ball..according to k stevens..perhaps more correctly..the AINTS were destroyed by the only good ny team outside of vernon they played..period.. kevin two more ny teams loom..jc owego and or me..oh well mke is a football power..

sAINTS ARE DESTROYED..you will never see that in sun bull by k stevens. today he elevates his beloved AINTS, by giving us a geography lesson..he gushes the AINTS are nearly unbeatable by new york opponents..does this mean the vsaints regularly beat such ny opponents as newburgh, mt vernon, james d?? of course not..the AINTS esteemed regular ny opponents.. are the forks.. the point..the valley..all noteworthy hotbeds of basket ball..according to k stevens..perhaps more correctly..the AINTS were destroyed by the only good ny team outside of vernon they played..period.. kevin two more ny teams loom..jc owego and or me..oh well mke is a football power..

This comment is more about Stevens than SCC. Isn't he accountable to anyone at the PSB? He is so in the tank for that school it's gone from maddening to laughable and pathetic. He literally sounds like a parent gushing and doting about their first born child when he writes a story about their games. He made what was apparently a very lackluster win over JC last night (a below .500 team) sound like an all-time comeback game. He doesn't even seem to realize how demeaning his pet names are for the players. What a joke. If I saw him hanging around the boys locker room I would be very nervous. He strikes me as being borderline perverted.

Torto is a good player, but he was average (if that) tonight. Non-existent and not able to get his shot or in offensive position against the quicker Sampson or same-sized Rose.

Exactly why he will never do much in college (DIII). If he goes to BCC, at least he could still have the local officials to help him out.

Guest Guest

Congrats seton on winning the section 4 title. You played an inexperienced M-E team with two seniors and still got a terrible call that won you the game

Guest no halo

Congrats seton on winning the section 4 title. You played an inexperienced M-E team with two seniors and still got a terrible call that won you the game

dadamio is a saint savior..refs generally blow a favorable saints whistle..dadamio is the worst..me has a marvelous young coach..on talent the spartans are no equal of the saints..their coach always has them excellently prepared..

Guest Guest

I'm somewhat impartial on the game/outcome but I will tell you that it was the worst referee job I have seen in HS basketball in twenty years. It was not a simple missed call or two or a give back etc. it was flagrant nepotism which decided the section champion. It was disgraceful. No more. No less. There was a frank push from the defender which ended up somehow being a travel call against ME in last minute then next possession ME had the go ahead bucket taken off the board on perhaps the worst call I have seen in sports. It did not appear to be a mistake, it appeared to be a flat out gift to Seton. No one can convince me differently. I'd love to watch tape. It was really awful

Guest Guest

Here we go.......M.E. lost and now you whine, whine, whine.

You are right about the refs. Horrible. Somehow you forgot about how M.E. was holding onto jerseys all night. So many missed fouls. M.E. held Torto, hanging onto his shirt. Smothers pushed.....how many times? The refs had no control of the game. And with 3 refs you would think they would call more fouls? Game was out-of-control. It's too bad they waited until the last few minutes before they started calling fouls.

Archived