Maine Endwell School Board

Guest Disgusted Taxpayer

• Replies 762
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not agreeing or disagreeing, but two years ago VanFossen was not the superintendent and more than half of the current board members were not on the board.

No he wasn't the superintendent at the time but he was well aware of the financial situation at hand when he took the position. He knew that Stoner delayed layoffs in his last year in the job. When VanFossen took the job he prolonged dealing with the issue as well (as he stated on TV), hoping that he would be well liked instead. Now he is showing his true face and letting go of people who's salaries won't make a dent in the budget. How about the director of auxiliary services? What does he do exactly...nothing. How about the fact that he is laying off someone who is retiring in 5 months?

Most local school districts made gradual cuts the last two years and also used some...... but not all..... of their general fund (reserves) in order to help make ends meet. Evidently, the leadership at M-E completely drained their general fund in the mistaken hope that NYS would rescue them by restoring previous levels of state aid. Obviously, that isn't going to happen. Now the district is forced to make painful cuts all at once rather than gradually. The opulent new pool, football field, etc doesn't exactly endear them to the taxpayers now. This whole situation looks very bad.

No he wasn't the superintendent at the time but he was well aware of the financial situation at hand when he took the position. He knew that Stoner delayed layoffs in his last year in the job. When VanFossen took the job he prolonged dealing with the issue as well (as he stated on TV), hoping that he would be well liked instead. Now he is showing his true face and letting go of people who's salaries won't make a dent in the budget. How about the director of auxiliary services? What does he do exactly...nothing. How about the fact that he is laying off someone who is retiring in 5 months?

As were the teachers who voted for a raise a few years ago. I recall being at "Our Place" a few years back and there were a group of 30 something female teachers from Maine Memorial there complaining about the situation and saying they were taking the raise and didn't really care about what happens down the line.

Guest golf dog

As were the teachers who voted for a raise a few years ago. I recall being at "Our Place" a few years back and there were a group of 30 something female teachers from Maine Memorial there complaining about the situation and saying they were taking the raise and didn't really care about what happens down the line.

Starve off the young, unions don't care. give me give me give me

http://www.osc.state...212.htmDiNapoli

Budget Challenges Remain Despite Progress

Spending in 2012 was $6,859 per New Yorker (my comment on this, why?)

New York State has made progress toward aligning the state's spending and revenue, according to the annual report of the Financial Condition of New York State released today by State Comptroller Thomas P. DiNapoli.

"State policy decisions in the past two years have made budgetary balance a primary goal, but challenges still remain," DiNapoli said. "The challenge is to build on the progress made and put New York State on a truly sustainable fiscal path."

DiNapoli's annual financial condition report on the state's fiscal health indicated that total state spending decreased 1 percent, or $1.3 billion, from the prior year. Still, since 2008, state spending has grown 15 percent, almost double the rate of inflation. State spending has been partially paid for through borrowing $17.2 billion since 2008, including $3.8 billion in 2012.

The report also found:

• Public health and education spending represents 68 percent of total state spending;
  • Medicaid costs rose to $ 41.4 billion in SFY 2011-12 from $32.8 billion four years ago;
  • Receipts have increased $17.4 billion, or 15 percent, since 2008;
  • New York ranked first among the 50 states in spending on public elementary and secondary education with per pupil expenditures of $18,618 for the 2009-10 school year ( my comment again, it takes almost three of us to support one student if all of our tax payment went to education, WHY?)
  • State funded debt totaled $63.3 billion in fiscal year 2011-12 which is $3,253 per person and 6.4 percent of Personal Income.

The annual report of the Financial Condition of New York State provides the public with an overview of the fiscal situation of the state. DiNapoli also released the Comprehensive Annual Financial Report for SFY 2011-12 which contains the state's audited financial statements.

For a copy of the Financial Condition of New York State for SFY 2011-12, visit: http://www.osc.state...rts/2012fcr.pdf

For a copy of the Comprehensive Annual Financial Report for SFY 2011-12, visit: http://www.osc.state...ts/2012cafr.pdf

Like Libous or not, his staff is excellent. I have asked for help on two occasions when caught in bureaucratic cluster fxxxs. Their response took a few days, and they took care of my problems. Some problems may take a bit longer if they are complicated issues. Hinchey's office did more than help. There was not a law to help with my problem, he sponsored and got legislation passed that helped me and many others. I am not rich or important in any capacity, just a citizen who was in need.

Telephone calls are ok, but a neat hand written letter is even better. Do you homework and have specific information on your problem or complaint and how they can help you. It indicates you are serious, spent time and effort in order to think, compose and write. The key words are "please and thank you". They are every day people and not politicians. It is the job of staff to do the grunt work to resolve problems. If they cannot, then your elected legislator becomes involved. Don't complain here, in a bar, at work, etc. . Be constructive, help yourself and others.

Be sure to include the last sentence with "I appreciate your help and look forward to your reply". Again, people respond more favorably when dealt with in a dignified manner. It is your representatives job to serve the people of New York State. Don't complain here, in a bar, at work, etc., find out who your representative is in your district and contact them. The response may not always be in your favor, but you will get one.

They are not serious about closing the deficit other than to raise taxes sky high. Same old story.

There will be lots of houses for sale in Endwell soon. School tax will be going through the roof.

They laid off 9 people. That's it? That's going to close this gap?

To eliminate almost 4 million dollars they cut 9 positions? Most cleaning positions? Good god what do those positions pay?

To eliminate almost 4 million dollars they cut 9 positions? Most cleaning positions? Good god what do those positions pay?

These are mid-year cuts effective immediately. The big cut of 30 - 40 more positions is coming in June.

So must be the teachers will have to do their only cleaning now.

These are mid-year cuts effective immediately. The big cut of 30 - 40 more positions is coming in June.

Can bet that none of the administrators will be cut. They alwyas find a way to keep their phoney baloney jobs.

And get their big raises and stipends and other assorted bennies. They'll trot out the old song and dance come budget time. The administrators have their own union too. Everybody in the school districts have their union. It's a closed shop.

So must be the teachers will have to do their only cleaning now.

Just something else the "overworked and underpaid" teachers will have to whine about at M-E.

Just something else the "overworked and underpaid" teachers will have to whine about at M-E.

Why not work out a deal to just cut salaries 10% for everyone then you wouldn't have to cut as many positions. If it came down to me being a teacher and having a job where I get paid way more than the average persons salary in this area, as opposed to not have my job because of cuts, it's an easy choice. Where else can you work the equivelent of 3/4 of a year and get paid more than other people get paid for a whole year. Also by having a better benefit package than the average worker has. Be thankful you have a job, unlike the other 10% or more in this area who are unemployed. Base the paycuts on salary now received. This wouldn't solve the whole problem but would go along way to easing the numbers crunch the district now faces. Desperate times take desperate measures. Besides teachers have the luxury to work side jobs in the summer to offset the cut they would take in pay. Just like the rest of us have to do when income goes down we have to find other ways of making that up. They are no different than the rest of us, why are they always without any REAL sacrifices.

At one time I worked for a company that hit a lean stretch for about three months. We were given a choice, layoffs or work a 32 hour week (hourly employees) we voted and chose the 32 hour week. We all had to cut back at home, but in the end the business became profitable and everyone kept their job. The following year there were merit reviews, and unless you were a total screw up, there were raises. In this situation there will not be raises for quite a while, but a cut for EVERYONE and reduced spending in non educational areas would help everyone out.

Then reduce the total labor force when people retire, quit, etc.. Do not fill all but truly essential positions. Everyone will have to work a bit harder, but think of the word union, it is supposed to be for the greater good of its members, all members. It is not to late to make this happen. Did the bargaining units approach the administration about exploring this and other possibilities? If so I must have missed it in the local media.

Then again, I do not recall government, many unions, or education making much sense.

Most local school districts made gradual cuts the last two years and also used some...... but not all..... of their general fund (reserves) in order to help make ends meet. Evidently, the leadership at M-E completely drained their general fund in the mistaken hope that NYS would rescue them by restoring previous levels of state aid. Obviously, that isn't going to happen. Now the district is forced to make painful cuts all at once rather than gradually. The opulent new pool, football field, etc doesn't exactly endear them to the taxpayers now. This whole situation looks very bad.

The days of property owners in the M-E district paying taxes from IBM, GE, Link, etc. are gone for ever. The Endwell part of the district used to be a virtual private school for their precious snowflakes. The high end taxpayer is gone. Evolve, adjust, or become extinct. All the positive attitude crap and anything is possible baloney is and always was public relations garbage. The new taxpayers who are in fear of losing everything will vote the budgets down, or sell out to absentee land lords from NYC. This is already happening in Endicott's down town residential neighborhoods and it is spreading to the North side. The same applies to Johnson City

Archived