Maine Endwell School Board

Guest Disgusted Taxpayer

Guest Guest

30 pink slips being handed out next Friday according to memo sent to staff yesterday. The education M-E students will receive will be a shell of what it was.

I feel sorry for those that are not teachers. I feel bad for the teachers too but at least as highly educated as they are getting another job will be simple for them. It may even be a good change for them if only in the pay increase they are sure to get in the private sector.

• Replies 762
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Guest

OK your right. 5 years ago I knew that the contract that your elected BOE members approved would destroy the district and many of my colleagues and friends would be laid off. Your correct that I knew the education my own children would receive would greatly suffer for my raises over the last 5 years. Your right, I did it on purpose. I'm sorry. It's my fault, and mine alone.

I can understand why you voted for the contract you did. You knew the board was a rubber stamp at the time and it had a great chance of passing. You really had no idea that Cuomo would dare pass a tax limit,after all he is a democrat. The higher vote to override the limit also threw you and the union for a loop. Even now with the problems your district is facing they would probably pass a override to the limit should a 50% majority be enough. Don’t worry you can always still blame the DOE and the tax limit. I’m guessing that you are so worried because your tenure isn’t as deep as you need,not for this year but maybe next. Even getting through this next cycle you know that the damage has been done and the raise in salary has been committed. Next year there will be some other demand on the district and another layoff maybe needed and in that one you may not come out so well.

Guest Guest

I feel sorry for those that are not teachers. I feel bad for the teachers too but at least as highly educated as they are getting another job will be simple for them. It may even be a good change for them if only in the pay increase they are sure to get in the private sector.

It really is an opportunity to seize one of the many great jobs available in the private sector with better pay and benefits. Piece of cake with all the experience and education the laid off teachers have.

Guest Guest

It really is an opportunity to seize one of the many great jobs available in the private sector with better pay and benefits. Piece of cake with all the experience and education the laid off teachers have.

I know,now is their chance you put that master degree to work and really get paid for it. I hope that they all come back here and tell us how much better it is out in the private sector where the real money is. It will be mostly the newest teachers so they wouldn’t of had time you get used to the short hours and having summers plus any other time off. I would like to caution them though they do expect you to preform consistently in the private sector there you are only as good as you last project was. Good luck and welcome to the private sector.

Guest Iris Bettlestein

Property values will be affected. People USED to wanna move into the M-E district, but now there really isn't any sense? As a taxpayer, teacher, and parent I am very upset. I want my community to have the best schools, that is why I own a home in Endwell. I think the BOE should seriously consider going for the 60% and try to save the integrity of the education provided. Yes, it's a gamble because if it fails and the second vote fails, the school will be gutted(thanks Cuomo), but I don't believe the community would allow it to happen. Say yes to 61%!!

Hey teacher, you are full of crap. Having bigger classes and cutting some programs and aides will not affect the property values. M.E. is nothing special at all. People move there because M.E. has less black kids then most of the other schools. The parents won't say it but that is the reason people choose M.E, not you windbag teachers.

On the other hand raising taxes WILL have a negative impact on home prices. This area is in an economic depression in case you haven't noticed. Taxes here are already out of control. Raising taxes 11% is just bad policy. An 11% levy increas will translate into a 14-15 percent tax increase when all the flood reassesmemts are accounted for.

Guest Guest

Schools are the last great thing about our community. Our glory days are long gone. Natural gas will be a short term boost of good times. In the end, now that our schools are fading, I'll see you in some other community hoping to find a sliver of hope and promise for our families. Bye bye. And if you stay have fun with all the white head resorts that will still be here? That seems to be out next best hope? God I pray for this area.

Guest Guest

Schools are the last great thing?

No.

Public schools are the reason why we are so broke. They steal our money by taxing us. They are run by anti-American unions. And the so-called "teachers" they employ are liberals.

How does that add up to a great thing?

Guest Guest

Schools are the last great thing about our community. Our glory days are long gone. Natural gas will be a short term boost of good times. In the end, now that our schools are fading, I'll see you in some other community hoping to find a sliver of hope and promise for our families. Bye bye. And if you stay have fun with all the white head resorts that will still be here? That seems to be out next best hope? God I pray for this area.

So are you planning to be one of the cuts to the district?

What am I saying you must be,no one leaves and area because the school lays off a few teachers.

Guest Guest

Please stop this childish debate. There is always 3-4 loser idiots that troll threads like this and slam schools to no end. GUARANTEED the M-E school budget will pass no matter what. It won by a landslide last year and it will again and again year after year. You know why? People want good schools in this community, and they will pay an extra $75-$100 a year ($8 a month, a quarter a day) to have it happen. So all you loser idiots slamming education on this thread, suck an egg and see you at the polls in May. I win!!

Guest Guest

Please stop this childish debate. There is always 3-4 loser idiots that troll threads like this and slam schools to no end. GUARANTEED the M-E school budget will pass no matter what. It won by a landslide last year and it will again and again year after year. You know why? People want good schools in this community, and they will pay an extra $75-$100 a year ($8 a month, a quarter a day) to have it happen. So all you loser idiots slamming education on this thread, suck an egg and see you at the polls in May. I win!!

Sure the budget will pass if it doesn't go over the limit.

Guest Breckner

You sound like a selfish teacher. You just don't get it. It is not and extra $100 dollars a year. You see, every year these taxes multiply. Before long we have average houses with taxes of $6000 or $7,000 a year. In a state like North Carolina a similar house might have a tax of $1100 a year. GUESS WHICH HOUSE WILL SELL FOR THOUSANDS MORE? Thse taxes are costing us our nest egg and badly hurting our financial well being. Another point is this. After we educate this kids in Broome County they move away to a place liker North Carolina that actually has jobs because they have LOW TAXES. This area is a shell of itself and is slowly decaying because of imbeciles like you who want to raise taxes.

As for the poster who said that gas drilling is a short term fix (20 years is not a short term in todays modern economies)

Guest Guest
....Before long we have average houses with taxes of $6000 or $7,000 a year....

For school taxes?!?! You must drive a BMW and can easily afford 25-50 cents a day extra in school taxes. I drive a 9 year old used car and have been teaching for 20 years. Please go back to watching Fox News, this is a no spin zone you fool!! I win!!

Guest Guest

For school taxes?!?! You must drive a BMW and can easily afford 25-50 cents a day extra in school taxes. I drive a 9 year old used car and have been teaching for 20 years. Please go back to watching Fox News, this is a no spin zone you fool!! I win!!

No you imbecile teacher. Combined taxes are $6000 -$7000 on average houses. Bungalows have smaller taxes. Bigger houses around here have taxes $15,000 to $20,000. How many new companies have you seen move in here in the last 20 years? How many companies have you seen leave in the last 20 years. TAXES TAXES TAXES are the big problem here and in most of New York State. The M.E. teachers want more of your tax dollars so they can keep getting their raises. VOTE THEM DOWN

Guest Guest
No you imbecile teacher. Combined taxes are $6000 -$7000 on average houses. Bungalows have smaller taxes. Bigger houses around here have taxes $15,000 to $20,000. How many new companies have you seen move in here in the last 20 years? How many companies have you seen leave in the last 20 years. TAXES TAXES TAXES are the big problem here and in most of New York State. The M.E. teachers want more of your tax dollars so they can keep getting their raises. VOTE THEM DOWN

We will only get our raises if the BOE approves our contract. I win!

Guest Guest

We should give you and extra 75 to 100 a year? Are you sure that is all you are asking for? I wouldn't think that would add up to the 4 million you need. Plus the added raise you should be getting too. Hope they try that a few times and see what you end up with.

Guest Guest

If you have been teaching for 20 years and are driving a 9 year old car, you have no financial abilities. You need a real education.

You must teach Art, Music or Gym, right?

Guest Union Proud

Glad others are finally taking a stand. People need to take a measured look at the issues and consequences. And as for Cuomo, now it's apparent his only true goal is to be next after Obama. NY be damned.

Property values will be affected. People USED to wanna move into the M-E district, but now there really isn't any sense? As a taxpayer, teacher, and parent I am very upset. I want my community to have the best schools, that is why I own a home in Endwell. I think the BOE should seriously consider going for the 60% and try to save the integrity of the education provided. Yes, it's a gamble because if it fails and the second vote fails, the school will be gutted(thanks Cuomo), but I don't believe the community would allow it to happen. Say yes to 61%!!

Guest unions suck

The posters taking a stand are those who uphold the property tax cap. Not those in favor of law suits and robbing the kids piggy bank for ever increasing unions costs to taxpayers.

Archived