Maine Endwell School Board

Guest Disgusted Taxpayer

Guest Guest

What we do with all the public schools we have now is shut them down forever. Let the teachers find real jobs in the private sector. Once we get both the government and unions out of education, everything will be fine.

It sound like you are being pretty vindictive rather than actually coming up with a real solution.Remember even after you fire the present teachers and shut down the schools you still owe the money. Kids still need to be educated and you haven’t solved that problem other than saying who you think should do it without any cost to you.

• Replies 762
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Guest

Oh just stay under the cap. That's a start.

I would guess that they are trying to announcing that they are cutting 80 more positions. After the earlier ones how many positions does that leave. Sounds like they may even be cutting some tenured teachers in this swath.

Guest Shellie Silver

I would guess that they are trying to announcing that they are cutting 80 more positions. After the earlier ones how many positions does that leave. Sounds like they may even be cutting some tenured teachers in this swath.

The greedy teachers need to lose their jobs. They can blame the unions for their job loss. The old teachers don't want to give back a nickel. They will sit back and watch the younger teachers lose their jobs, their homes, there spouses and their self respect. The stress will cause their health to decline. The teachers aides will go on welfare. The janitors will be forced to move out of state to find work.

Guest Guest

The greedy teachers need to lose their jobs. They can blame the unions for their job loss. The old teachers don't want to give back a nickel. They will sit back and watch the younger teachers lose their jobs, their homes, there spouses and their self respect. The stress will cause their health to decline. The teachers aides will go on welfare. The janitors will be forced to move out of state to find work.

With all the layoffs that are coming this year in surrounding districts I would think the teachers will have to move out of state to get a job too. I feel worse for the aids and janitors though they don’t have masters degrees. With a highly rated degree like that teachers can get a job anywhere.

Guest Guest

Please remember your elected school board members voted for and approved the teachers contract. They also approved the administrators contract that was approved last spring that has salary increases that are above 2% for the next 3 years. Also, interesting to note is that no administrators are being cut?

Guest Guest

With all the layoffs that are coming this year in surrounding districts I would think the teachers will have to move out of state to get a job too. I feel worse for the aids and janitors though they don’t have masters degrees. With a highly rated degree like that teachers can get a job anywhere.

Teachers make good Home Depot employees.

Guest Guest

Oh just stay under the cap. That's a start.

Remember the cap is not really 2%, there are exclusions.

One of the news reports said the cap for M-E is actually 5.94%

Guest Guest

The school tax issue is not about:

Greedy teachers

Teachers saying “I win”

Abolishing schools

Tax caps

Teachers sacrificing their lives

60% majority

The real issue is that the school board and administrators do not have business sense to do their jobs. In reality, the school can increase taxes by 5% with a simple majority vote (and they can keep voting for a simple majority until they get what they want…crazy right?).There is no question that our area is a nice place to live. But, unfortunately, our area also has school property taxes. Not just any school property taxes, but some of the highest in America. In fact, the Broome County area including ME, is in the top 5 counties in America for school taxes when compared to property value. We are giving more than 99% of Americans when it comes to our schools.

Equally worrisome, school property tax levies in Broome County and even more so in ME are reportedly rising at more than twice the rate of inflation and salary growth. Anyone that says people will not leave our area due in part to school taxes is delusional as the businesses have already left. Soon we will have a few hospitals, teachers, and welfare recipients only in Broome County. How many school administrators, teachers, or BOE want that for their children?

My personal school taxes in ME were $2000 in 2000 and are now over $4000. That is a 100% increase in 12 years. The administrators and BOE will try to trick you and say that the tax levy only increase 3% over the last 10 years but that is distorted math which I do not have time to explain.

There is no doubt that the high school property taxes in ME and Broome County in general have dramatically driven up the cost of owning a home. They are also threatening to put the American Dream out of reach for an entire generation. High school property taxes translate into middle class families and senior citizens having to make tough choices in this tough economy, which is why we need to continue pushing for real solutions that deliver real school property tax relief.

People who work for the schools need to realize that according to a poll conducted for the New York State Association of Realtors, over 85 percent of homeowners very strongly support enactment of a school property tax cap. So, the ME schools employees are in the minority and they need to realize that this is the end of the road!

Over the past ten years, state spending has exploded by nearly 70 percent. If state government had held spending to the rate of inflation for that same period, taxpayers would have saved billions. All union members need to understand that the state has no more money to give us. I’m telling you this in advance so when you negotiate your next contract, you will not say that “how could we have predicted this.”

An often-overlooked cause of skyrocketing property taxes is all the government regulations, red tape and requirements that Albany annually imposes on local governments. We need to push back and call elected officials to stop these mandates.

I think there are many good teachers in ME and some bad ones. We will most likely use the “union system” and just get rid of some new teachers who are part of the “good teachers”.

Teachers try to stop this madness and get out of the union.

Administrators please use your brains.

BOE, can you start looking out for the tax payers and students?

I know some will reply to this with something stupid, but in the real world, we all lose with this system.

Guest Guest

Please remember your elected school board members voted for and approved the teachers contract. They also approved the administrators contract that was approved last spring that has salary increases that are above 2% for the next 3 years. Also, interesting to note is that no administrators are being cut?

I guess what you are saying is that our elected school board didn’t do what they were suppose to do? In fact they did exactly what the teachers asked instead? Why do you think something like that would ever happen? You must be very unhappy that they did there job with so little understanding and that is probably cost the district many teachers that they were only trying to give a better life. At least the administrators were saved.

Guest Guest

Greedy teachers

Teachers saying “I win”

Abolishing schools

Tax caps

60% majority

The real issue is that the school board and administrators do not have business sense to do their jobs. In reality, the school can increase taxes by 5% with a simple majority vote (and they can keep voting for a simple majority until they get what they want…crazy right?).

BLAH BLAH BLAH

I know some will reply to this with something stupid, but in the real world, we all lose with this system.

WRONG WRONG WRONG... There is not unlimited voting. This ended years ago.

How can you people be so ignorant?

Guest Guest

Greedy teachers

Teachers saying “I win”

Abolishing schools

Tax caps

60% majority

The real issue is that the school board and administrators do not have business sense to do their jobs. In reality, the school can increase taxes by 5% with a simple majority vote (and they can keep voting for a simple majority until they get what they want…crazy right?).There is no question that our area is a nice place to live. But, unfortunately, our area also has school property taxes. Not just any school property taxes, but some of the highest in America. In fact, the Broome County area including ME, is in the top 5 counties in America for school taxes when compared to property value. We are giving more than 99% of Americans when it comes to our schools.

Equally worrisome, school property tax levies in Broome County and even more so in ME are reportedly rising at more than twice the rate of inflation and salary growth. Anyone that says people will not leave our area due in part to school taxes is delusional as the businesses have already left. Soon we will have a few hospitals, teachers, and welfare recipients only in Broome County. How many school administrators, teachers, or BOE want that for their children?

My personal school taxes in ME were $2000 in 2000 and are now over $4000. That is a 100% increase in 12 years. The administrators and BOE will try to trick you and say that the tax levy only increase 3% over the last 10 years but that is distorted math which I do not have time to explain.

There is no doubt that the high school property taxes in ME and Broome County in general have dramatically driven up the cost of owning a home. They are also threatening to put the American Dream out of reach for an entire generation. High school property taxes translate into middle class families and senior citizens having to make tough choices in this tough economy, which is why we need to continue pushing for real solutions that deliver real school property tax relief.

People who work for the schools need to realize that according to a poll conducted for the New York State Association of Realtors, over 85 percent of homeowners very strongly support enactment of a school property tax cap. So, the ME schools employees are in the minority and they need to realize that this is the end of the road!

Over the past ten years, state spending has exploded by nearly 70 percent. If state government had held spending to the rate of inflation for that same period, taxpayers would have saved billions. All union members need to understand that the state has no more money to give us. I’m telling you this in advance so when you negotiate your next contract, you will not say that “how could we have predicted this.”

An often-overlooked cause of skyrocketing property taxes is all the government regulations, red tape and requirements that Albany annually imposes on local governments. We need to push back and call elected officials to stop these mandates.

I think there are many good teachers in ME and some bad ones. We will most likely use the “union system” and just get rid of some new teachers who are part of the “good teachers”.

Pretty fair accounting of the school system we now have. We have,over the years,the state lawmakers bowing to the unions for their vote to thank for it.

We now have a system where unpaid school boards still have the total say on the running of our schools and their costs. Who would of thought that in an area where schools and their employees make up 1 out of 11 in the voting population would have school boards elected that were so teacher orientated.?

Having the financial desperation we can now count the teachers for what they are.When teachers vote for a wage and benefit package that will assuredly cost many of their members their jobs you can tell where their feelings are. You can also tell why the system has failed and see that with the current rules there is no way to stop its decline. The problem is to stop the school tax from degrading your life you have to move from the problem.

Guest Guest

WRONG WRONG WRONG... There is not unlimited voting. This ended years ago.

How can you people be so ignorant?

Well it is not wrong, the school district can lose a simple majority and then ask for a 2nd revote (we all assumed "the unlimited voting" was the authors creative language to make a point, but you are too much of a moron to notice it)!!! Nice job selecting one sentence from the person who had post #635 and saying wrong and blah, blah, blah without addressing the other 50 sentences. I think everyone reading this agrees with poster #635 and we think your the ignorant one.

Guest Guest

Well it is not wrong, the school district can lose a simple majority and then ask for a 2nd revote (we all assumed "the unlimited voting" was the authors creative language to make a point, but you are too much of a moron to notice it)!!! Nice job selecting one sentence from the person who had post #635 and saying wrong and blah, blah, blah without addressing the other 50 sentences. I think everyone reading this agrees with poster #635 and we think your the ignorant one.

Voting twice is "unlimited voting"? What school did you go to?

No, the person wrote exactly what they meant. They wrote from their ignorance. Ignorance is very common when writing or talking about schools.

".. we all assumed ..." You contacted everyone who read this piece?

This is not the time or place to use "creative language". Got it? I sure hope so.

Guest Guest

To repeat, the game has changed. Two 'no' votes and the district can only levy what they did the prior year. You need to vote if you want to be heard.

13. If voters do not approve a budget and a contingency budget is adopted, are exclusions irrelevant?

Answer: Yes. In a year when a budget is defeated twice or a district chooses to go to a contingency budget after the budget is defeated the first time, the school district can levy no more taxes than it levied in the previous school year. There are no exclusions from this limit when a contingency budget is adopted

Guest Guest

Greedy teachers

Teachers saying “I win”

Abolishing schools

Tax caps

60% majority

I'm the orginal person of the above post. I would like to correct one item. When the school district has a budget to vote on and they do not have a simple 50% majority, the school district can have another election on the same budget to try twice to obtain a simple majority...crazy right? I hope this error on my part does not take away from my point in the above post.

Guest Guest

Voting twice is "unlimited voting"? What school did you go to?

No, the person wrote exactly what they meant. They wrote from their ignorance. Ignorance is very common when writing or talking about schools.

".. we all assumed ..." You contacted everyone who read this piece?

This is not the time or place to use "creative language". Got it? I sure hope so.

I assumed he was drifting back to when it was ok to have a vote until you won. That wasn’t all that long ago you know. So what did you think about the other 95% of the the post they made in post 635? Was that correct?

Guest Guest

I would like to know the source of Broome county as a top country for school tax.

I don’t really know where that came from but it is totally believable. I do remember a piece in the paper that compared our taxes to worth we came out to be one of the highest in the state. Since school taxes are about 2/3 of the yearly tax on your home I would guess they would compare just as badly.

Guest Guest

It's called reality. Let's just stay under the cap and go from there.

The reality of the situation is the school boards are not doing their jobs in a responsible way. The lawmakers never really have,at least when it comes to the schools and their rules.Probably the only way out of this is dropping all the contracts made and starting over with a more reasonable one. One that is affordable in the future without so many glaring differences to the tax payer that is footing the bill.

Guest Guest

Aren't most members of the school boards part of the education establishment? Or their relatives work in the system, or they want their relatives to work in the system. Their priorities are not affordable education, rather endless raises in salary, benefits, and pensions for their own ulterior motives.

Guest Guest

Aren't most members of the school boards part of the education establishment? Or their relatives work in the system, or they want their relatives to work in the system. Their priorities are not affordable education, rather endless raises in salary, benefits, and pensions for their own ulterior motives.

Even if not true it sure would appear that way. Of course there are some that say they only do it to improve our schools and for the children that attend them. Pretty much the same line that the teachers use.

Archived