Maine Endwell School Board

Guest Disgusted Taxpayer

Guest Guest

If you have been teaching for 20 years and are driving a 9 year old car, you have no financial abilities. You need a real education.

You must teach Art, Music or Gym, right?

It’s more likely some financial distress of their own making.I remember them saying the same thing year after year,how I can afford the few pennies a day it would take so they can get a raise and also keep their jobs.I don’t think it makes much difference what they teach it's pretty much is one pay scale for all. Doesn’t matter what you teach or the degree difficulty you’ll see some of the highest paid are elementary grade teachers.Time is everything in teaching.

• Replies 762
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest ghost of X-mas future

The tax cap, Teach, is in place because NY needed to take a stand against the mass exodus to Tx, Fla, NC, etc. Follow me? These cozy municipalities and schools have abused the tax base. So now we have good jobs leaving town on a daily basis. And many good people have left for better opportunities. It's high time you realized schools are not immune from fiscal reality. I doubt you've heard much straight talk like this. I'd advise you get a clue and go back to the lounge and discuss with your peers.

How is it my fault that the BOE approved a 5 year contract with generous raises every year? Did you think the union membership was gonna say no? If I voted no, I would have been the only one? Please tell me you would vote against a 5 year contract with raises at your job? If you say yes, you are a liar!! I would think that the BOE would carefully consider what they can afford? They could have never known what was really gonna happen over a 5 year period and the surplus we were sitting on was large but not bottomless? BOE members are elected with the idea that the budget and the education of all students would carefully be considered as well as the budget of the taxpayers? The BOE could have been more careful?

Guest Guest

The tax cap, Teach, is in place because NY needed to take a stand against the mass exodus to Tx, Fla, NC, etc. Follow me? These cozy municipalities and schools have abused the tax base. So now we have good jobs leaving town on a daily basis. And many good people have left for better opportunities. It's high time you realized schools are not immune from fiscal reality. I doubt you've heard much straight talk like this. I'd advise you get a clue and go back to the lounge and discuss with your peers.

I loved the part where they blamed the BOE. Of course all the taxpayers did that too. I don’t think that there have been many times a BOE has actually turned down a union demand. I think the tax cap was put into place to give the voters a little more say in the budget process where before they had very little. It probably is tough on the districts and the teachers unions to change to a fiscal plan when for so many years the plan was to figure out what you want and then just figure out how much everyone has to pay them.

Schools could easily be a private sector function. Take your tax dollars and pay the school of your choice. Let them compete under the guidance of regulations. Maybe a teacher can tell me how ANYTHING not ran by the government functions at all?

of course. what BOE wants to deal with an obnoxious picket line of protesting teachers? who wants a teacher walkout on their hands? so cave in and bask in the glowing faces and praise of the teachers. it's high time we the taxpayers demanded accountability and a backbone.

I loved the part where they blamed the BOE. Of course all the taxpayers did that too. I don’t think that there have been many times a BOE has actually turned down a union demand. I think the tax cap was put into place to give the voters a little more say in the budget process where before they had very little. It probably is tough on the districts and the teachers unions to change to a fiscal plan when for so many years the plan was to figure out what you want and then just figure out how much everyone has to pay them.

Guest Guest

I drive a 9 year old car because I am finically prudent. I've had no car payments for 4 years now which has enabled me to save a ton of money for a newer used car in the near future. Also, I like to have some extra cash for my multiple vacations throughtout the year. As far as my finicial wisdom goes, how's this? I will retire at 55 with a pension that will pay me roughly $55,000 a year with cheap medical benefits. On top of that I have about $75,000 currently in mutual funds that I contribute to through my 403b. Figuring modest growth and continued contributions on my part, these funds will prolly have a value of $200,000 when I can draw from them tax free? Add to that social security, and I like driving my 9 year old car right now. And if things get boring or tight, I can always substitute teach, which right now pays $125 a day. That will prolly be a out $200 a day when I retire? I win!!

congrats! you've done well. too bad your younger peers won't have it so well.

I drive a 9 year old car because I am finically prudent. I've had no car payments for 4 years now which has enabled me to save a ton of money for a newer used car in the near future. Also, I like to have some extra cash for my multiple vacations throughtout the year. As far as my finicial wisdom goes, how's this? I will retire at 55 with a pension that will pay me roughly $55,000 a year with cheap medical benefits. On top of that I have about $75,000 currently in mutual funds that I contribute to through my 403b. Figuring modest growth and continued contributions on my part, these funds will prolly have a value of $200,000 when I can draw from them tax free? Add to that social security, and I like driving my 9 year old car right now. And if things get boring or tight, I can always substitute teach, which right now pays $125 a day. That will prolly be a out $200 a day when I retire? I win!!

Guest Guest

Schools could easily be a private sector function. Take your tax dollars and pay the school of your choice. Let them compete under the guidance of regulations. Maybe a teacher can tell me how ANYTHING not ran by the government functions at all?

Agreed.

We will NEVER have true liberty in this country until public education is abolished.

Guest Guest

That's it in a nutshell. And I truly believe most BOE members are just there to get their kids or relatives a job in the district.

Guest Guest

And yet you expect us BMW owners to pay out extra so you can continue? Good luck with that.I was correct it was financial distress of your own making.With 20 years in you probably will get through this fine.It will be the younger teachers that will pay for your sins. I did like how you did try to win over the crowd with your story of woe. I have to drive a 9 year old car pity me.

Guest Guest

And yet you expect us BMW owners to pay out extra so you can continue? Good luck with that.I was correct it was financial distress of your own making.With 20 years in you probably will get through this fine.It will be the younger teachers that will pay for your sins. I did like how you did try to win over the crowd with your story of woe. I have to drive a 9 year old car pity me.

Come on man, it's for the kids! I win!

Guest Guest

Teach forgot to tell us about his 6 figure bank account, 6 figure IRA, $50,000+ per year pension, $200 per day substitute teaching gig after retirement, plus medical and dental.

Guest Lounge ears

I get ANOTHER raise and get to agitate you relentlessly!! I win!!

Shut your mouth Dave Cook. I heard you spouting off that you were on this site agitating the crying taxpayers. You are the one that created this mess with your ridiculous athletic projects. Of course you won't be getting laid off, no worries.

Guest guest

Stay classy, Teach.

Shut your mouth Dave Cook. I heard you spouting off that you were on this site agitating the crying taxpayers. You are the one that created this mess with your ridiculous athletic projects. Of course you won't be getting laid off, no worries.

Guest Guest

No I won't. It's called a tax sheltered annuity. No taxes. I win!

Unless it has changed, you get to put money into the 403B before it is taxed. When you take it out, you have to pay federal tax on it. You don't have to pay state tax on it.

It comes in handy, so, yes you win.

Guest Guest

I get ANOTHER raise and get to agitate you relentlessly!! I win!!

Actually you are still winning and will continue to win until your time is up. Although very slow in the changes even the state is seeing the poor conditions of the school system in this state. It is clearly evident that the teachers and their union cares little about the community and its children or even its younger members. This was shown in the last contract made by the BOE and the union. It was blatantly obvious that the contract would cause a tax rise greater than the taxpayer could commit to. It should also be obvious now even to the union member that the contract will cause a loss of their very union members and a decrease in the efficiency of the system itself. Now that the tax cap is in place it will cause every future contract that includes a rise in tax payments a lowered amount of resources to go to the education of the district. Congratulations you win everyone else loses.You have taken a respected career and made it less.

Guest Guest

Actually you are still winning and will continue to win until your time is up. Although very slow in the changes even the state is seeing the poor conditions of the school system in this state...ME SCHOOLS ARE VERY GOOD, POINT NOT MADE..It is clearly evident that the teachers and their union cares little about the community and its children or even its younger members. ME TEACHERS ASSOCIATION DOES MORE THAN YOU CAN EVEN IMAGINE FOR OUR COMMUNITY, POINT NOT MADE... This was shown in the last contract made by the BOE and the union. It was blatantly obvious that the contract would cause a tax rise greater than the taxpayer could commit to.HOW COULD ANYONE PREDICT THAT FINCIAL CLIFF OUR STATE PUBLIC BUDGETS WOULD FACE IN 2013??? It should also be obvious now even to the union member that the contract will cause a loss of their very union members and a decrease in the efficiency of the system itself AGAIN HOW COULD WE HAVE PREDICTED WHAT HAS HAPPENED, BUT ADD TO THE PEOPLE ARE TO BLAME THE BOE AND STONER? WHAT ABOUT THE $165,000 LAWSUIT THAT COST TAXPAYERS??? TEACHERS FAULT?? NO MENTION OF THIS HUH???. Now that the tax cap is in place it will cause every future contract that includes a rise in tax payments a lowered amount of resources to go to the education of the district. Congratulations you win everyone else loses.You have taken a respected career and made it less. NO YOUR MISINFORMED IGNORANT HATERED HAS!! MY PROFESSION HAS BEEN ATTACKED BY PURE JEALOUSY AND ENVY!! WHAT ABOUT THE ADMINISTRATION CONTRACT THAT WAS JUST PASSED BY THE BOE??? BUT I KNOW, IT'S ALL THE TEACHERS FAULT!?!?!

Guest Guest

Just stay under the cap. Teachers - withdraw your hostile lawsuit against the cap.

Hostile? The tax cap is unconstitutional. A yes vote is not equal to a no vote. A no vote is equal to 2/3 of a no vote. But I really don't understand why this happened? EVERYONE can vote on school budgets, but they traditionally passes every year statewide and locally. Why the need for a cap? People were accepting the tax burden, so what's the problem?

Guest Guest

Typos fixed....Hostile? The tax cap is unconstitutional. A yes vote is not equal to a no vote. A no vote is equal to 2/3 of a yes vote. But I really don't understand why this happened? EVERYONE can vote on school budgets, but they traditionally school budgets passed every year statewide and locally. Why the need for a cap? People were accepting the tax burden, so what's the problem?

Guest Union Proud

2/3 a vote? This isn't the Jim Crow south. That's why we are taking it to the courts - just so everyone understands.

Typos fixed....Hostile? The tax cap is unconstitutional. A yes vote is not equal to a no vote. A no vote is equal to 2/3 of a yes vote. But I really don't understand why this happened? EVERYONE can vote on school budgets, but they traditionally school budgets passed every year statewide and locally. Why the need for a cap? People were accepting the tax burden, so what's the problem?

Guest guest

What you're missing is that the contingency budgets were out of control as well. If before the 2% law went in place, if a budget was voted down and it met that 2% cap with the contingency budget you may not see as much complaining. This whole budget thing is a farce anyway. BOE-Teachers-Administrators are all basically on the same side, there is no check and balance.

Your 2/3 argument is silly. Live within the constraints and we all get a single vote. There are many examples of votes that require a super-majority.

Yes, the courts will decide. Will be interesting to watch the propaganda.

Archived