Maine Endwell School Board

Guest Disgusted Taxpayer

• Replies 762
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Guest
Your 2/3 argument is silly. Live within the constraints and we all get a single vote. There are many examples of votes that require a super-majority.

Yes, the courts will decide. Will be interesting to watch the propaganda.

Live within our constraints? Our budget never failed before, so we were? Everyone could vote? We can only get what the elected BOE accepts and what the public votes on for school budget votes? This tax cap is severly hurting the M-E school district. PLEASE NAME THE INSTANCES WHERE A 2/3RDS MAJORITY IS NEEDED IN A GENERAL ELECTION? I DON'T KNOW OF ANY?

Guest Guest

2/3 a vote? This isn't the Jim Crow south. That's why we are taking it to the courts - just so everyone understands.

Maybe the taxpayers should take the teacher union to court for producing a poor product.

If the teachers product was sold in the retail market, Walmart couldn't give it away.

Guest Guest

Live within our constraints? Our budget never failed before, so we were? Everyone could vote? We can only get what the elected BOE accepts and what the public votes on for school budget votes? This tax cap is severly hurting the M-E school district. PLEASE NAME THE INSTANCES WHERE A 2/3RDS MAJORITY IS NEEDED IN A GENERAL ELECTION? I DON'T KNOW OF ANY?

The general election is for a budget that meets (or is less) than the 2% cap. This must follow the rules, which can make it more than 2%. The super majority or 60% (not 67%) is for the exception case, or when the budget exceeds the cap.

The budgets have failed the first vote before and then the propaganda kicks in. The contingency budget has been fairly close to the proposed budget, one year it was actually more. This is what makes these budget votes not real, we really are only voting on a small percentage of the actually budget (<5^%)

Guest ghost of X-mas future

That's the beauty of it. They can't be sued for services. Government entity you see. Another reason why teaching should be made private. Accountability is an elusive concept when the govt is involved - yet we are the ones being lectured to about being cheap, racist (for living in Endwell!), mean (2/3 vote = Jim Crow south), etc.

Maybe the taxpayers should take the teacher union to court for producing a poor product.

If the teachers product was sold in the retail market, Walmart couldn't give it away.

Guest Guest

That's the beauty of it. They can't be sued for services. Government entity you see. Another reason why teaching should be made private. Accountability is an elusive concept when the govt is involved - yet we are the ones being lectured to about being cheap, racist (for living in Endwell!), mean (2/3 vote = Jim Crow south), etc.

I know. Just pointing out the hypocrisy of the word FAIR.

60% wah wah wah.

Lay 'em off. It's not like they're producing world class students.

Guest Guest

Actually you are still winning and will continue to win until your time is up. Although very slow in the changes even the state is seeing the poor conditions of the school system in this state...ME SCHOOLS ARE VERY GOOD, POINT NOT MADE..It is clearly evident that the teachers and their union cares little about the community and its children or even its younger members. ME TEACHERS ASSOCIATION DOES MORE THAN YOU CAN EVEN IMAGINE FOR OUR COMMUNITY, POINT NOT MADE... This was shown in the last contract made by the BOE and the union. It was blatantly obvious that the contract would cause a tax rise greater than the taxpayer could commit to.HOW COULD ANYONE PREDICT THAT FINCIAL CLIFF OUR STATE PUBLIC BUDGETS WOULD FACE IN 2013??? It should also be obvious now even to the union member that the contract will cause a loss of their very union members and a decrease in the efficiency of the system itself AGAIN HOW COULD WE HAVE PREDICTED WHAT HAS HAPPENED, BUT ADD TO THE PEOPLE ARE TO BLAME THE BOE AND STONER? WHAT ABOUT THE $165,000 LAWSUIT THAT COST TAXPAYERS??? TEACHERS FAULT?? NO MENTION OF THIS HUH???. Now that the tax cap is in place it will cause every future contract that includes a rise in tax payments a lowered amount of resources to go to the education of the district. Congratulations you win everyone else loses.You have taken a respected career and made it less. NO YOUR MISINFORMED IGNORANT HATERED HAS!! MY PROFESSION HAS BEEN ATTACKED BY PURE JEALOUSY AND ENVY!! WHAT ABOUT THE ADMINISTRATION CONTRACT THAT WAS JUST PASSED BY THE BOE??? BUT I KNOW, IT'S ALL THE TEACHERS FAULT!?!?!

ME schools are only good comparatively to the other schools in the area.ME teachers association does more for themselves than for the community you have proved that over the years.How could anyone predict a finical cliff? In 2008 you couldn’t see any problems? Again are you and your union serious? The lawsuit just shows how poorly the district is run and the way they go about making and even understanding the possible problems with contracts. The BOE and Stoner were on your side all along,we don’t have any votes on what they do or how they do it.We can’t recall them or punish them for not doing a good job,much like the teachers. You are not being disrespected by the misinformed we knew the contract that was forced on us was a future problem when it was made. You aren’t respected because you have shown to be a very greedy poorly organization.

Guest Guest

Hostile? The tax cap is unconstitutional. A yes vote is not equal to a no vote. A no vote is equal to 2/3 of a no vote. But I really don't understand why this happened? EVERYONE can vote on school budgets, but they traditionally passes every year statewide and locally. Why the need for a cap? People were accepting the tax burden, so what's the problem?

This is only true if you wish to go over the tax cap. If a reasonable budget is presented that stays within the rule of the cap it will pass with a majority vote. A lot of votes are like that. It should make to difference if the raise in tax is needed the public will go along with it just as before.

Guest Guest

ME taxpayers, are you clear now?

ME schools are only good comparatively to the other schools in the area.ME teachers association does more for themselves than for the community you have proved that over the years.How could anyone predict a finical cliff? In 2008 you couldn’t see any problems? Again are you and your union serious? The lawsuit just shows how poorly the district is run and the way they go about making and even understanding the possible problems with contracts. The BOE and Stoner were on your side all along,we don’t have any votes on what they do or how they do it.We can’t recall them or punish them for not doing a good job,much like the teachers. You are not being disrespected by the misinformed we knew the contract that was forced on us was a future problem when it was made. You aren’t respected because you have shown to be a very greedy poorly organization.

Guest Guest

"The BOE and Stoner were on your side all along,we don’t have any votes on what they do or how they do it.We can’t recall them or punish them for not doing a good job..." I don't mean to be too harsh, but its called voting on school budgets and for board members you IDIOT!!!!

Guest Guest

The Athletic Director says that we should build two more stadiums that way more families will move into our district. Each team should have their own stadium. It's only fair.

Guest guest

An observation: Every year at this time, this message board is filled with angry messages bitchin' and griping about teachers, their benefits, school budgets, and tax levies. And I'm not saying that these issues aren't a problem. But every May, every school district's budget comfortably passes - with some very rare exceptions. So why should this year be any different? I don't live in the M-E district, but I'd be willing to bet a steak dinner that their budget passes too.

Guest guest

.....and another thing: this is America and everybody makes their own choices. Evidently, being a teacher is very easy. Why don't more of you go back to college, get certified to teach and get a teaching job? Chances are you'd have to leave the area because there aren't very many openings. But in the end, you'd get great pay, a cushy job, and lucrative benefits.

...... or better yet: get your name on the substitute teacher lists. I think they make around $90 to $100 a day. Thats pretty good in my mind.

Guest Guest

An observation: Every year at this time, this message board is filled with angry messages bitchin' and griping about teachers, their benefits, school budgets, and tax levies. And I'm not saying that these issues aren't a problem. But every May, every school district's budget comfortably passes - with some very rare exceptions. So why should this year be any different? I don't live in the M-E district, but I'd be willing to bet a steak dinner that their budget passes too.

Agreed, but the game has changed... This is an ouch...

You better be sure it passes, or all you get to levy is what you did last year and you don't get the exclusion either (read pension costs as being one of them)

13. If voters do not approve a budget and a contingency budget is adopted, are exclusions irrelevant?

Answer: Yes. In a year when a budget is defeated twice or a district chooses to go to a contingency budget after the budget is defeated the first time, the school district can levy no more taxes than it levied in the previous school year. There are no exclusions from this limit when a contingency budget is adopted

Guest Guest

I still don't understand why all these people are on here complaining about how easy it is to be a teacher- with their cushy salalries, fantastic benefits and "part time jobs"... instead of thinking, why didn't I become a teacher myself and enrolling in the nearest mini mall college to become one? I mean, WHY would you choose to do anything other than, what you refer to as, "not a real job." If that is the case, teachers are not greedy, money hungry, only out for themselves monsters, they are smart for taking advantage of such a lucrative profession that pays well beyond it's worth. Don't blame the teachers because you made a poor life choice by not becoming one...there is still time, for those of you who are capable of passing let alone paying for the undergraduate and graduate courses in addition to the certification exams.

I'm sure you won't complain when one takes a bullet for your children while you're trapped in your partitioned office doing the "hard work."

Guest Guest

Stay classy, Teach. Way to play the Scare Card.

I still don't understand why all these people are on here complaining about how easy it is to be a teacher- with their cushy salalries, fantastic benefits and "part time jobs"... instead of thinking, why didn't I become a teacher myself and enrolling in the nearest mini mall college to become one? I mean, WHY would you choose to do anything other than, what you refer to as, "not a real job." If that is the case, teachers are not greedy, money hungry, only out for themselves monsters, they are smart for taking advantage of such a lucrative profession that pays well beyond it's worth. Don't blame the teachers because you made a poor life choice by not becoming one...there is still time, for those of you who are capable of passing let alone paying for the undergraduate and graduate courses in addition to the certification exams.

I'm sure you won't complain when one takes a bullet for your children while you're trapped in your partitioned office doing the "hard work."

Guest Guest

Stay classy, Teach. Way to play the Scare Card.

How is it a scare card when it actually happens? It's reality- not a scare tactic. I'm just glad it's not people like you "protecting and educating" my children.

Stay classy. Keep assuming.

I don't teach. I just happen to support the people who are with my children for more hours of the day than I am.

Guest Guest

How is it a scare card when it actually happens? It's reality- not a scare tactic. I'm just glad it's not people like you "protecting and educating" my children.

Stay classy. Keep assuming.

I don't teach. I just happen to support the people who are with my children for more hours of the day than I am.

Translation, spouse/parent/sibling is a teacher.

Not a scare tactic because it actually happened. Brilliant! For a 1st grader.

Earthquakes actually happen also.

Guest future teacher

Well said

Guest Guest

Translation, spouse/parent/sibling is a teacher.

Not a scare tactic because it actually happened. Brilliant! For a 1st grader.

Earthquakes actually happen also.

Translation: I can't comprehend what I read as well as previous poster's first grader. I said my CHILDREN. I'm a mother. No relation to any teacher. Thanks for playing.

Earthquakes are not premeditated attacks. Not too many people sacrafice their lives to protect children from earthquakes. Try again.

Guest Guest

Scare card part deaux! Cuomo taking the guns was the solution there. Paying more than the tax cap does not equate to keeping anyone safer. Is that money going to fund security guards? Stick to your day job.

Translation: I can't comprehend what I read as well as previous poster's first grader. I said my CHILDREN. I'm a mother. No relation to any teacher. Thanks for playing.

Earthquakes are not premeditated attacks. Not too many people sacrafice their lives to protect children from earthquakes. Try again.

Archived