Pine Tar 2014

27 Time World Champions

anigif_enhanced-buzz-31206-1383087714-2.

Some of these present-day pitchers are complete idiots. Back in the 1960s the SF Giants tried unsuccessfully to get LA Dodgers pitcher Don Drysdale tossed for greasing the ball. The home plate umpire would practically strip search Drysdale on the mound only to come up empty. Meanwhile, nobody noticed LA catcher John Roseboro quietly remaining around the plate with his mitt tucked under his arm. That's where the Vaseline was hidden. If the hoo-hah looked like it might eventually come his way, Roseboro would ease over to the dugout and swap out his glove. Of course, Drysdale would knock down the next batter as a thank you to SF.) Ah, the good old days.

Said Pineda afterwards: "I'll learn from this mistake. This no happen again."

taar_1.0_standard_730.0.jpg

I should have been at the George Brett one in 1983. My place of employment had a bus trip to that game and I cancelled at the last minute. Many co-workers were there, but not me :-(

I saw the '83 game live on television and of course, I'll never forget it.

George Brett was such a hard nosed gamer and played to win plus he was a great, clutch player and always killed the Yankees. Never forget the way he went at Nettles in the '77 ALCS. My first memory of Brett was his homerun in the '76 ALCS. It's almost forgotten now because of Chambliss hitting the game winner in the bottom of the 9th. Great memories from a time long gone.

Brett responded to the Pineda incident and said, "Wow. I've known guys to put it on their glove, shin guards, on their bats ... but I never heard of that. It's mind-boggling."

Sneaking pine tar is fairly common, but considering Pineda nearly got ejected for the same thing last week ... Brett added, "It's not the smartest thing in the world."

Brett doesn't seem to have an issue with Pineda cheating ... he said the pitcher just needs some tips from his manager Joe Girardi.

"He's a bright guy -- [Pineda] should ask him ... where do you think I should hide it?"

The pine tar rule is like the speed limit.

Everyone breaks it but usually only the idiots get caught.

Hiding it is such a "pre requisite" that even managers never even really consider teaching it to players.

Enter Pineda, and embarrassment ensues.

• 5 months later...

Attending a spring training game in 85 I witnessed a group of kids anxiously waiting for Brett to enter the field near the dugout, when he finally came out the kids went wild! Calling for him to get autographs, George never even looked at them let alone sign for anyone! Every other player stopped and gave them, I guess he was to good to a knowledge the kids who thought he was their hero. The boos were defending but he could care less.

Attending a spring training game in 85 I witnessed a group of kids anxiously waiting for Brett to enter the field near the dugout, when he finally came out the kids went wild! Calling for him to get autographs, George never even looked at them let alone sign for anyone! Every other player stopped and gave them, I guess he was to good to a knowledge the kids who thought he was their hero. The boos were defending but he could care less.

I once saw Brett chew a kid out because the kid started laying on the hero worship thing a bit too thick

"Oh, Mr. Brett, you're my hero, blah blah blah!"

Brett told him to shut-up. I'll never forget it. I still think back and laugh about it.

Classic Brett:

• 5 months later...

I once saw Brett chew a kid out because the kid started laying on the hero worship thing a bit too thick

"Oh, Mr. Brett, you're my hero, blah blah blah!"

Brett told him to shut-up. I'll never forget it. I still think back and laugh about it.

Classic Brett:

I just laughed my ass off while watching this video!!! hahahah..oh man..doesn't take much to make me happy...

Archived