Bad Check! In Broome Co?

uncle buck

I'd like to hear more from the original poster. How much was it for? If it was thousands, I'm sure there's criminal charges. But also, what is his check policy? Many places don't accept checks, if they do, it must be a number higher than 500 or 750 or 1000 (the check number, not the amount) or, they only accept checks from known customers.

I contacted the Broome Co DA's office about a BAD Check I received from a person. They told me " we don't do anything with these anymore?

The DA??? lol

Anyway, there is a process This from rochester PD's page

Bad Check Procedures
How to deal with a bad check.

When the bank notifies you that a check is bad:

1. An attempt should be made to contact the drawer of the check, by telephone or mail, advising them that their check check was returned by the bank and you are requesting them to correct the situation.
  2. If no payment is received, protest the check at the bank. (The protest should occur within 30 days.)
  3. On the same day the check is protested, send a letter to the drawer by registered mail, return receipt requested, notifying the person that his/her check was returned from the bank and payment is demanded within 10 days.
  4. Wait 10 days for payment (If the registered or certified mail is returned undeliverable or no payment is received, proceed to the next step).
  5. Make a formal complaint to the police. Turn over the check, Certification of Protest, a copy of the letter sent by registered or certified mail and the Return Receipt card from the Post Office.
  6. The individual accepting the check must sign a supporting deposition verifying the identity of the defendant at the time the check was passed, or that they have direct personal knowledge as to the identity of the person passing the check.
  7. The Police Officer will send all paperwork to the East Rochester Court. The Court will issue a criminal summons to the check writer demanding that the writer appear in court to make good on the check.
  8. The Court then settles the amount and sends it to the person owed, or the Court may issue a Warrant of Arrest.
  9. Bad check charges must be filed within 90 days of the utterance of the check.

http://eastrochester.org/departments/police/bad_check/

The DA??? lol

Anyway, there is a process This from rochester PD's page

Bad Check Procedures
How to deal with a bad check.

When the bank notifies you that a check is bad:

1. An attempt should be made to contact the drawer of the check, by telephone or mail, advising them that their check check was returned by the bank and you are requesting them to correct the situation.
  2. If no payment is received, protest the check at the bank. (The protest should occur within 30 days.)
  3. On the same day the check is protested, send a letter to the drawer by registered mail, return receipt requested, notifying the person that his/her check was returned from the bank and payment is demanded within 10 days.
  4. Wait 10 days for payment (If the registered or certified mail is returned undeliverable or no payment is received, proceed to the next step).
  5. Make a formal complaint to the police. Turn over the check, Certification of Protest, a copy of the letter sent by registered or certified mail and the Return Receipt card from the Post Office.
  6. The individual accepting the check must sign a supporting deposition verifying the identity of the defendant at the time the check was passed, or that they have direct personal knowledge as to the identity of the person passing the check.
  7. The Police Officer will send all paperwork to the East Rochester Court. The Court will issue a criminal summons to the check writer demanding that the writer appear in court to make good on the check.
  8. The Court then settles the amount and sends it to the person owed, or the Court may issue a Warrant of Arrest.
  9. Bad check charges must be filed within 90 days of the utterance of the check.

http://eastrochester.org/departments/police/bad_check/

What a load of crap.

Criminal scumbags have all the rights. The legal processes are obtuse, difficult, laborious and time consuming. File one paper wrong=start from the beginning, just like an eviction.

Landlords and business people - the only rights we have are to NOT get paid and spend more of what we're not already getting to get money from people who didn't have it to begin with and never will.

NYS sure is business friendly.

We take checks at the company I work for. Over the years we have had a handful that have bounced & we were told in order to take person to court we need Driver License # and Date of Birth ....so if anyone takes a check from a person they don't know I would advise taking the extra minute & get the info & write it on the check (along with a phone number too)

We take checks at the company I work for. Over the years we have had a handful that have bounced & we were told in order to take person to court we need Driver License # and Date of Birth ....so if anyone takes a check from a person they don't know I would advise taking the extra minute & get the info & write it on the check (along with a phone number too)

If people write you a bad check, why would they give you their correct DOB?

Do you ever get wrong info from the check writers?

Archived