Someone is stealing our trash.

ginger

I understand once you put your garbage out it's anyone's property, however...

Last week my next door neighbors trash was missing. The week before, the guy across the streets trash was missing before the city guys came. And this week...

I had one kitchen bag, plus kitty litter in the bottom of a city bag.  I left the bag, in the trash can open because I  had a small bag upstairs I needed to grab. But, I got distracted and forgot about it.

I come out to go to physical therapy today, see the trash hadn't been collected, went to get the upstairs bag and my garbage was not in the can. 

My ring door bell isn't active. I wasn't planning on turning it back on until I go back to work so that's no help.

🙂 Of course this sort of makes one a tad paranoid. I know I threw some old bills and junk mail about half way down. Lol the rest....lots of coffee grounds...I had cleaned out the fridge and freezer in the bottom half..the top half paper towels from cleaning, I know I windexed the kitchen windows...some dryer sheets and lint. The last thing I  recall tossing...I had half a rotisserie chicken I boiled down for soup. So the carcass was on top.

I don't know what to make of this. I guess I'll have to play eye spy with my phone next week. Funny thing, I was awake all night, tossing and turning. Every position was putting me in pain.

I never heard a thing. 

I was thinking the same thing, Toup. Bizarre they picked our street. No one on our street is wealthy. It looks like they are working their way up the block. Lol 🙂, so gross because I'm sure any paper I threw in there has to be saturated in leftover Cortese Milanese sauce that I didn't use and coffee grounds. Oh! And leftover chili and rice! 

21 hours ago, ginger said:

I was thinking the same thing, Toup. Bizarre they picked our street. No one on our street is wealthy. It looks like they are working their way up the block. Lol 🙂, so gross because I'm sure any paper I threw in there has to be saturated in leftover Cortese Milanese sauce that I didn't use and coffee grounds. Oh! And leftover chili and rice! 

Hobo’s looking for food scraps or returnables.

Walmart closing ALL Portland, Oregon stores after historic theft rise 

Walmart has announced it is permanently closing all of its locations in Portland months after its CEO warned of a historic rise in theft at its stores. 

Once hailed as the 'crown jewel of the West' for its trendy art and food scenes, the city has already seen a Portland Nike store shut down last year due to mass shoplifting, as well as a popular retail store in the city's downtown that was broken into 15 times over the course of just two months.  

The closures serve as the latest instance of businesses relocating or closing shop altogether amid a pronounced rise in crime and homelessness. The mass exodus has been carried out by owners fed-up with the Portland's sad state, and officials' subsequent failure to quell both crises.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/markets/walmart-closing-all-portland-stores-after-historic-theft-rise/ar-AA18hrhe?li=BBnbfcL

RECON! 🙂

So tomorrow is recon day and I've been trying to come up with some kind of MADNED idea using a trip wire, solenoid and sprinkler to booby trap my trash.  Unfortunately I'm not that clever...and I guess I would need metal trash cans to make that work.

Alas and Alak! 

I might bring out my tape recorder with my Hallmark scary Halloween sounds cassette and if I see them in somebody's garbage....OR...my mom gave me one of those obnoxiously loud personal alarms...I don't even need to be on the front porch to startle them with that.

BTW, if it's you.. I  did some cooking this week, in fact I just made a pot of sauce and meatballs so there are sharp can lids in the garbage...be careful!

17 hours ago, 2pelo Honey said:

Don't hurt the DPW guys.

Omg, I would never. I try very hard to make sure they don't have to lift heavy bags.

Still, I do plan to conduct some surveillance ala, Mrs Kravitz. I wanted to reactivate my Ring doorbell but I can't find the damn charger. After Christmas, I gathered all of the chargers I had in different drawers and threw them in a large shoe box but it wasn't in there. It might be on a shelf in my laundry room. I'll look later. Funny thing is I still have original packaging to that device and was surprised it wasn't put back in there. 

41 minutes ago, 2pelo Honey said:

Meant the sharp can lids.

I seriously doubt our boys want to open blue bag, open the kitchen bag then dig through it. In fact one of our trash collectors lives on my street. I've known him since he was knee high to a bottle of gin. Unless someone goes digging they wouldn't necessarily become injured. 

On 3/9/2023 at 11:15 AM, ginger said:

I seriously doubt our boys want to open blue bag, open the kitchen bag then dig through it. In fact one of our trash collectors lives on my street. I've known him since he was knee high to a bottle of gin. Unless someone goes digging they wouldn't necessarily become injured. 

Did you catch the culprit?

3 hours ago, DanCooper said:

Did you catch the culprit?

I did not. I sat vigilantly in a darkened window for about 2 hrs and periodically looked out. I didn't notice anything unusual except..one of my neighbors, did not put out the trash.