JC woman hits & kills PA man with car & keeps driving "I thought it was a mailbox"

kiss-my-axe

https://riverreporter.com/stories/fatal-hit-and-run-driver-arrested,112405

I know this neighborhood well.  Down by where my parents live.  There's no way she thought he was a mailbox. 

Fatal hit and run driver arrested

Wednesday, August 23, 2023 4:32 pm

HONESDALE, PA — Lisa Barnes, of Johnson City, NY, has been charged with Leaving the Scene of a deadly crash that took the life of Franklin Pauler. Bail was set at an unsecured amount of $150,000. The  Defendant’s next court appearance is at central court on September 6.  

On Friday, August 11, Pennsylvania State Police dispatched to 963 Creek Drive, Clinton  Township, Wayne County for a reported Hit and Run crash. The fleeing vehicle was described as a White Cadillac traveling north on Creek Drive.  

Upon our arrival to the scene, Franklin Pauler was observed unresponsive and suffering from a  severe bleeding injury to his head in a driveway. Emergency personnel on the scene were attempting to stabilize his condition. Fire and EMS personnel on scene were able to stabilize the victim and transported him to the parking lot of Prompton State Park where he was then airlifted to Geisinger Wyoming Valley Trauma Center.  

A short time later after the crash scene was cleared, Pennsylvania State Police matched the description of the vehicle involved in the crash from an assistance for directions by another state trooper that occurred in the area of Prompton State Park on Creek Drive north a few minutes before the crash. A review of the in-car MVR System was able to obtain vehicle Registration Pennsylvania LXY4614. The vehicle registration was run through PENNDOT  CLEAN NCIC and provided the registered owner Frederick Barnes of Susquehanna Borough Susquehanna County Pennsylvania.  

Pennsylvania State Troopers from Gibson Station went to the address and made contact with a  female who advised that the vehicle was registered to her boyfriend, Frederick Barnes, but is driven by his daughter, Lisa Barnes, who resides in Johnson City.

On the following day, August 12, state police were contacted by an attorney representing  Lisa Barnes. Lisa Barnes turned herself in to authorities for the crash and cooperated with the investigation.  

The Cadillac that was driven by the defendant was observed to have damages to its passenger side front mirror, fender, windshield, and bumper areas.  

In an interview with the state police, the defendant related that she was trying to find a friend’s residence to attend a gathering but due to cellular telephone services in the area, her GPS on her cellular telephone was not working.  

She related that she was distracted by texting friends to help her find her destination, by her dog being in the  vehicle, and trying to work her GPS application. She related that she looked down at her cell phone, veered out of the lane of travel, and struck what she believed to be a mailbox. She said that she was unfamiliar with the area, frustrated with not being able to find her destination,  damaged her vehicle, and proceeded to return to her residence.  

Later in the day, August 12, the Chief Deputy Luzerne County Coroner contacted PSP Honesdale and related that Franklin Pauler died at Geisinger Wyoming Valley Trauma  Center from the injuries sustained in the crash. 

People run when they are drunk.  They wait for the alcohol to get out of their system before they turn themselves in.  This girl is friends with many of bartenders in town and drinks herself into oblivion.  I have seen her at Fountains Tavern in JC so drunk she can't even move.  Shame on those who have enabled her all these years. Now look what happened... someone is dead. 

7 hours ago, Sudan Dan said:

People run when they are drunk.  They wait for the alcohol to get out of their system before they turn themselves in.  This girl is friends with many of bartenders in town and drinks herself into oblivion.  I have seen her at Fountains Tavern in JC so drunk she can't even move.  Shame on those who have enabled her all these years. Now look what happened... someone is dead. 

You should let P.S.P. know her history. Then maybe she can get the help she needs

On 8/27/2023 at 9:32 AM, kiss-my-axe said:

The Cadillac that was driven by the defendant was observed to have damages to its passenger side front mirror, fender, windshield, and bumper areas.  

If you hit a mailbox there isn't going to be damage to the windshield.  The deceased went over the hood of her car, hitting the windshield.  She knew she hit a person and she got the hell out of there because she was drunk.

23 hours ago, The Insider said:

Does anyone know what time the accident took place?    It is hard to believe that she thought she hit a mailbox.    Very sad for all involved.    

I have a bunch of acquaintances who work in emergency services in PA.  They said state police and EMT's responded at 7pm.  So the crash probably occurred around 6:30-6:45pm.  Not dark at all at that time during the month of August. 

Without a DUI on the charge, she faces a minimum of 3 years in prison.  What's really sad is every time this woman has been in trouble, some prominent local families have come to her defense.  They weren't helping her in the long run, and now she has killed someone. She's already admitted to the crime, not a hard case for the DA.  She'll probably get around 5 years in PA prison.