John Solak proposes dissolving Binghamton Police Department

Back the Blue

https://www.binghamtonhomepage.com/news/top-stories/binghamton-city-council-to-consider-referendum-to-dissolve-police-department/

Binghamton City Council is considering a referendum to dissolve the Binghamton Police Department at its work session Monday evening, although observers feel it has little chance of passing.

A request for legislation was submitted to City Council by resident and frequent government critic John Solak called the Police Choice Act.

Solak tells NewsChannel 34 that he supports dissolving the B.P.D. because it will save Binghamton taxpayers money. He says it’s unfair that city residents contribute to the funding of State Police and the Broome County Sheriff’s Office and get little in return.

I have a couple of questions. How would the work be delegated? I'll give a specific example...I had a lost boy knock on my door. The school refused to help me with information. I flagged down a State Trooper, who just happened to be coming off the highway, explained the situation and he said I had to call the Binghamton police. Who would I be calling for a situation like that? 

Secondly, if the Binghamton police were transferred to the Sheriff's or State Police...would they have more powers regarding illegal aliens? 

Thirdly, what exactly is our status? I've been reading about 287g programming but the literature says in NYS, only the sheriff's in Rennsalaer are participating? If I'm reading it right, if a county is participating, certain functions of ICE are delegated to them. Yes I understand the argument, why should our tax payer provided officers be burdened with doing a federal job and not get paid for it...but considering the circumstances...

I think it's all hands on deck. No? 

https://twitter.com/CMvpaladino/status/1754567392448197085

Councilwoman  Vickie Paladino..If you recall, part of their sanctuary city resolution left law enforcement powerless to engage with ICE. They weren't allowed to hold or release criminals for deportation. OMG, remember when Cuomo let hundreds of them out of prison?  Lucky we only have a NON BINDING WELCOMING RESOLUTION, HMMM?

On 2/6/2024 at 8:47 PM, Tammy Dodson said:

A lot of Binghamton residents are urging Kinya Middleton to run for mayor.

River City Toastmasters meets the third Thurday of the month. Club 4524 is a member of Toastmasters International.

• 2 weeks later...

Congressman Marc Molinaro is hosting a special meeting with Speaker Mike Johnson, along with Broome County Sheriff’s deputies and their families on Feb. 22, 2024.

In the meeting, all parties will discuss the recent proposal presented before the Binghamton City Council to dissolve the Binghamton Police Department.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/speaker-mike-johnson-coming-to-binghamton-to-discuss-bpd-proposal/ar-BB1iwVVl?ocid=hpmsn&cvid=26e1ca79f4e14860a1b37fe4d3afcc45&ei=28

On 2/6/2024 at 9:47 AM, ginger said:

https://twitter.com/CMvpaladino/status/1754567392448197085

Councilwoman  Vickie Paladino..If you recall, part of their sanctuary city resolution left law enforcement powerless to engage with ICE. They weren't allowed to hold or release criminals for deportation. OMG, remember when Cuomo let hundreds of them out of prison?  Lucky we only have a NON BINDING WELCOMING RESOLUTION, HMMM?

What did I just say 2 weeks ago, as did Vickie Paladino? 

Did you see the video Laken Reilly's best friend posted? It's devastating. NYC police let her killer go free instead of waiting for ICE.

I hope her family sues everybody including Biden when he gets out. HAVE THAT PAPERWORK READY! 

On 2/5/2024 at 9:31 PM, ginger said:

I have a couple of questions. How would the work be delegated? I'll give a specific example...I had a lost boy knock on my door. The school refused to help me with information. I flagged down a State Trooper, who just happened to be coming off the highway, explained the situation and he said I had to call the Binghamton police. Who would I be calling for a situation like that? 

Secondly, if the Binghamton police were transferred to the Sheriff's or State Police...would they have more powers regarding illegal aliens? 

Thirdly, what exactly is our status? I've been reading about 287g programming but the literature says in NYS, only the sheriff's in Rennsalaer are participating? If I'm reading it right, if a county is participating, certain functions of ICE are delegated to them. Yes I understand the argument, why should our tax payer provided officers be burdened with doing a federal job and not get paid for it...but considering the circumstances...

I think it's all hands on deck. No? 

Again, what's our status? How many of our kids are going to die before you dim bulbs get it together? 

Just read an illegal threatened a security staff member on Randall's Island by telling him he's in some gang from Ecuador. Tattoos all over him.