Arming American Citizens

Reddi Killowatt

I believe that law-abiding Amercians should be able to carry a handgun. I know some states already allow people to carry, you have to get a carry permit, and go thru some kind of firearms saftey course, which I think it a great program. Only if New York State would start something like that. What do ya'll think?

We "Law Abiding Citizens" do, we just don't talk about it!

I believe that law-abiding Amercians should be able to carry a handgun. I know some states already allow people to carry, you have to get a carry permit, and go thru some kind of firearms saftey course, which I think it a great program. Only if New York State would start something like that. What do ya'll think?
I thought that you can carry in NYS, but you have to be specifically granted that type of permit upon application? I guess some counties you can get them and others not, based on who is issuing them?

Dont you start with the BC clerks office for the orignal app for a carry permit?
no. br co sherrifs office (permit office is at the jail). you might be able to get an app through the clerks office though i never asked. i have no problem with citizens being armed. my weapon of choice is the s&w 45 acp. big bang=big hole

no. br co sherrifs office (permit office is at the jail). you might be able to get an app through the clerks office though i never asked. i have no problem with citizens being armed. my weapon of choice is the s&w 45 acp. big bang=big hole
Well let us not forget its not guns that kill people its that loud noise they make.

I carry a knife while walking my dog, but as the saying go's do not take a knife to a gun fight. One argument is that if everyone was packing people would be less apt to use a firearm. Then we have the weekend on State st. and alcohol. And that argument go's to hell. Road rage would certainly be more interesting. Tasers are selling like hotcakes and I would not want to be zapped by one of them. Pepper spray only seems to enrage some nuts. Until evolution makes us bullet proof I do not know the answer.

I have had a permit for almost 20 years, but didn't get my first handgun until I was newly separated from an abusive husband. At the time, I sure wished I had a permit to carry, but I definitely felt safer owning the gun. I didn't get to take a course, but my brother and Dad made sure I knew what I was doing with it. I think that my opinion has changed back and forth over time, but after the most recent college rampage, I am thinking being able to carry isn't such a bad idea. It is sort of ironic that I couldn't be a hunter (although I have no issue with it), but would have no problem using a gun against someone if I or someone else were in imminent danger.

I have had a permit for almost 20 years, but didn't get my first handgun until I was newly separated from an abusive husband. At the time, I sure wished I had a permit to carry, but I definitely felt safer owning the gun. I didn't get to take a course, but my brother and Dad made sure I knew what I was doing with it. I think that my opinion has changed back and forth over time, but after the most recent college rampage, I am thinking being able to carry isn't such a bad idea. It is sort of ironic that I couldn't be a hunter (although I have no issue with it), but would have no problem using a gun against someone if I or someone else were in imminent danger.

A soldier in WW2 was on an island where some fierce fighting was going on his brother was also there, he heard his brother was wounded and he took off looking for him. As he went through the lines he was amazed to see the number of soldiers not shooting at the enemy. Subsequent studies showed it was quite hard for anyone to actually shoot another person. The military switched from regular targets to targets that looked more human. To make it easier for a soldier to kill someone. Somalia and other countries teach children very early to kill, a process of desensitizing. And I agree with you not having a problem using a gun on someone intent on causing harm. My home is shut down at night and recently part of the day, someone entering my home through the wail of my alarms can expect to be dead before they hear the blast of either 30-30caliper or 15-30 caliper slugs ripping into their body. Of course I will probably go broke in court. This gun debate will go on forever. But I can bet the parents of the recent students killed wish they had been armed and at least had a chance to continue living. I guess what I am trying to say is only wackoes enjoy killing.

Guest SIG 226 .40

Sheriffs office is the only place to pick up a permit packet. I think more and more people are going to be carrying in the near future. Just look at current events. Schools, churches and malls getting shot up. If more people were legally armed...then the better the chances of stopping these wack jobs before they start building up a serious body count. I do have a concealed carry permit and utilize it every single day. If my family is with me...I know I won't be looking to find the hostile idiot. I'll be looking to cover my family's escape and get them to safety. If they're not with me..then I'll be looking for the idiot who didn't get enough hugs as a kid and end his/her lashing out at the world. Hopefully with another armed individual. Unlike my administration at work, who would say for me to go hug him and give him/her a popsicle....I won't take the high road. I'll engage if it saves a life. And when I start to catch all the "ignorant redneck" flak...it might just be your life that an armed citizen saves.

I'm a little on the fence here. I would never carry a gun because I couldn't shoot a person and if I hesitated, 9 times out of 10, that gun would be taken from me and then used on me or my family. It's not the Average Joe that I'm worried about carrying a gun, but the hot head idiots who would be likely to use it in a non-life-saving situation like SIG spoke of.

Guest SIG 226 .40

Well said...I don't have a problem with those who choose not to get involved with weapons. To each his own. Especially if you know your limitations as far as reacting to violence is concerned. Any rational argument is fine...as long as I don't start hearing from the "Guns kill people" crowd. Hammers kill people too. Need we apply for concealed hammer permits? The FBI even admits that the most commonly used weapon in domestic violence is...the classic Kitchen knife!! Just pick up a copy of any NRA magazine and read the "Armed Citizen" column and find out just how common handgun self defense really is. It is sad to say but it is quite common.

I too despise the idiot hot heads with permits. The ones who "accidently" flash their gun in public just to get attention. Or to get their way in an argument or for whatever reason. The only time that gun needs to be seen is if/when you have to pull it to protect yourself or the life of another who is in imminent jeopardy of being harmed and/or killed. Concealed carry is just that...carry which is concealed. If the gun travels with you...so does the f'in brain. Gun flashers who want attention will get it....in the form of a "Menacing" charge or "Brandishing a firearm". It is a huge responsibility and I, for one, don't take it lightly. I hope I never have to draw my weapon muchless use it. I really hope I don't. If I have to though...I will with no reservations.

Every Man, Woman and Child in the United States should be issued an M-16, a Grenade Launcher, and M1 Abrams Tank....after all, they constitute a "well-armed Militia". They should also have Concealed Weapons Permits for the tank. Haven't quite figured that part out yet......maybe really big mumus.

Hell, my next door neighbors, with their rusty pickup truck, old kiddy toys strewn all over the lawn (which hasn't been mowed in a year). and a toilet that now serves as a flower pot should all be deemed qualified as gun owners. Heck, where else are we gonna get material for the next episode of COPS?

Claymores should also be allowed.....who knows when your wife might try to sneak into the frig to steal some of your Pistachio Ice Cream.

What do I think? Read some friggin history. The 2nd Amendment was not intended to allow every idiot on the block to own any gun they want. Look at the statistics.....our murder rate by gun violence is the highest in the "developed world".

Sheriffs office is the only place to pick up a permit packet. I think more and more people are going to be carrying in the near future. Just look at current events. Schools, churches and malls getting shot up. If more people were legally armed...then the better the chances of stopping these wack jobs before they start building up a serious body count. I do have a concealed carry permit and utilize it every single day. If my family is with me...I know I won't be looking to find the hostile idiot. I'll be looking to cover my family's escape and get them to safety. If they're not with me..then I'll be looking for the idiot who didn't get enough hugs as a kid and end his/her lashing out at the world. Hopefully with another armed individual. Unlike my administration at work, who would say for me to go hug him and give him/her a popsicle....I won't take the high road. I'll engage if it saves a life. And when I start to catch all the "ignorant redneck" flak...it might just be your life that an armed citizen saves.

True. Every church Pulpit should have a 50 Cal MG Mounted, just in case someone comes in ready to go to war. That would also serve to wake up the congregation if they snooze during the sermon. Nothing like a few rounds parting your hair to make you wake up and pay attention.

Give every untrained moron in the country a gun.......I sure hope that they are all as well trained as the police are in Article 39....the proper use of force.

The United States has by far the highest rate of death from firearms of ANY developed country in the world.

I got a kick out of having a conversation with a couple of Bobbies at Trafalgar Square in London. They were there, on motorcycles, with just pepper spray, handcuffs, and batons. No guns. As an American Peace Officer, I inquired as to why they had no guns. They answered that if they need a gun, there is a district patrol car that has the "guns". By and large, as guns are severely restricted to hunting clubs and target clubs, they don't have to worry much about it.

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/2...ow_firearm.html

The baloney about the availability of guns preventing crime is easily disproven time and again.

True. Every church Pulpit should have a 50 Cal MG Mounted, just in case someone comes in ready to go to war. That would also serve to wake up the congregation if they snooze during the sermon. Nothing like a few rounds parting your hair to make you wake up and pay attention.

Give every untrained moron in the country a gun.......I sure hope that they are all as well trained as the police are in Article 39....the proper use of force.

The United States has by far the highest rate of death from firearms of ANY developed country in the world.

I got a kick out of having a conversation with a couple of Bobbies at Trafalgar Square in London. They were there, on motorcycles, with just pepper spray, handcuffs, and batons. No guns. As an American Peace Officer, :P :P I inquired as to why they had no guns. They answered that if they need a gun, there is a district patrol car that has the "guns". By and large, as guns are severely restricted to hunting clubs and target clubs, they don't have to worry much about it.

The baloney about the availability of guns preventing crime is easily disproven time and again.

The United States has by far the highest rate of death from automobiles of ANY developed country in the world.

Anybody can drive a car.

When some drunk drives their car into a crowd of bystanders killing many why is there no public outcry to ban vehicles?

I thought that you can carry in NYS, but you have to be specifically granted that type of permit upon application? I guess some counties you can get them and others not, based on who is issuing them?

If you have not taken the Article 35 class, forget about getting a "Carry Permit"............PERIOD

It is not going to happen in Broome County with Judge Cawley.

If you have to ask ..."What is Article 35", you definitely don't even deserve one!

HINT: You can find Article 35 in a Penal Law Book

I think everyone that applies for a Pistol Permit of any type, that you should have to take the Article 35 class before you get the permit.

I have a gun permit, it's something you apply for and wait the time period to be checked out and allowed or not.

Most take 6 months or more, mine was given in 4 weeks.

There are differences, concealed is tough in NY. You had better have the right qualifications to be granted such. This can come from a banker, a jewelry store owner anyone in busienss who deals with late night banking or moving items from one place to another.

For me, I have a right in my home to have a firearm, however to travel with it I have to be going to a shooting range or practice sight.

When my children were young I was so careful, under lock and key, if someone broke in there wouldn't have been time, that was for the safety of my children.

Now however , they are grown and on their own I have it handy always. My children know when they come to visit at an odd hour they are to yell hello outside as they have keys but I do have extra locks giving them plenty of time to let me know.

Gun safety is key and all that have the privialge of having them, must be totally aware.

I got a kick out of having a conversation with a couple of Bobbies at Trafalgar Square in London. They were there, on motorcycles, with just pepper spray, handcuffs, and batons. No guns. As an American Peace Officer, I inquired as to why they had no guns. They answered that if they need a gun, there is a district patrol car that has the "guns". By and large, as guns are severely restricted to hunting clubs and target clubs, they don't have to worry much about it.

When was this?? Did they also inform the "Yank" tourist that they have experienced a quadrupling of violent crimes? Ever since darn near all guns are illegal to own muchless possess over there.

You??!! A peace officer?? With who?? If you were then you wouldn't have confused Art. 35 with 39. Art. 35 is just about burned into every officers head. Hmmm....

Archived