what your favorite old buisness thats gone

OP.

• Replies 882
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 8 months later...

Stars, Weston's Shoppers City, Brits, Norman's Market, Children's Super Mart, Philadelphia Sales, The Go Kart Track on Watson Bvd., Carols Hamburgers, Archway Hobby Shop. Kern's Hobby Shop, The Arlington Hotel, and the list goes on................

How about the ole SUN THEATHER in the First Ward??

25 cent movie for two movies!!!!

the nickel popcorn that we stuck our hand up and got more HA

First Ward Pool with Mary Dorko? always yelling at you HAHA

and the famous AL KEAMO's (possibly mispelling) he would always "lend" you money for a soda..

God knows how much Al lent to us over those years

Or all the bakery's in the First Ward!!!! FOUR that I can remember!!!!

Or as locals called it "The Rat Hole"

Guest Lanny Rinehart

Mike Hunt's Grocery on Glenwood Ave

Li Ho Fook's Chinese Pagoda on Main Street

The Tool Box gay bar on Susquehanna Street

The head shop on the second floor over the place that used to be a grocery store on the corner of Main & Front

Gordon's Newsstand down the street from Laurel Bowl (even though the owners were pricks and would scream at you if you so much as touched a magazine or comic book)

i liked those last 2 places

How about the ole SUN THEATHER in the First Ward??

25 cent movie for two movies!!!!

the nickel popcorn that we stuck our hand up and got more HA

First Ward Pool with Mary Dorko? always yelling at you HAHA

and the famous AL KEAMO's (possibly mispelling) he would always "lend" you money for a soda..

God knows how much Al lent to us over those years

Or all the bakery's in the First Ward!!!! FOUR that I can remember!!!!

I too lived in the First Ward..miss Yondas Bar and Grill, Zapotocky Grocery Store on Baxter Street, the bowling alley on Glenwood Ave (cant remember the name of it!), Jaxcies (not sure of the spelling!)Pool Hall on Glenwood Ave, The Citizen Newspaper on Miles Street, ..I remember all the places you mentioned too! The Rat Hole Sun Theatre was the best...

I love this thread, especially the South siders memories.

On Park Ave, Hershey's was actually Holtmans Grocery. Mrs. Holtman lived in the house attached to the storefront. Up the street was Mike's barbershop which I believe is still in business. Next up was devine's store with an awesome real soda fountain and a root beer barrell in the front window with the best root beer you ever had. Mrs. Devine lived a few doors up the street and would walk to the store every day. On the corner of Park Ave and Hotchkiss Street was the White Star market, with Mr. Shea, who always had a cigar in his mouth and one of the best butcher shops around. And of course the Penna. Ave Market owned by the three Faughnan brothers. Those were the days when you could go to any of the stores, get what you needed and pay later. What a great old neighborhood!

On Park Ave, Hershey's was actually Holtmans Grocery. Mrs. Holtman lived in the house attached to the storefront. Up the street was Mike's barbershop which I believe is still in business. Next up was devine's store with an awesome real soda fountain and a root beer barrell in the front window with the best root beer you ever had. Mrs. Devine lived a few doors up the street and would walk to the store every day. On the corner of Park Ave and Hotchkiss Street was the White Star market, with Mr. Shea, who always had a cigar in his mouth and one of the best butcher shops around. And of course the Penna. Ave Market owned by the three Faughnan brothers. Those were the days when you could go to any of the stores, get what you needed and pay later. What a great old neighborhood!

You forgot Bill Copp who had the Park Avenue Market right next door to the Vallanella Twins across from the White Star! I remember all of the places you mentioned as I grew up on that block of Park Ave.

Remember that trashy store I think it was called Emmet's? It was across from where Nip's is now. They tore it down to build a Harris Foodlines. The building is now a club.

You forgot Bill Copp who had the Park Avenue Market right next door to the Vallanella Twins across from the White Star! I remember all of the places you mentioned as I grew up on that block of Park Ave.

Thganks for the reminder....you are correct. I got stuck on the other side of the street and forgot about the other store. Sadly, the beginning of the end for these stores was when the Giant built their store on the old Lonfellow School site, and Harris Foodlines opened up on Park Ave where the Knights of Columbus is now.

Here's a blast from the past. On the Vestal Parkway now Miller Honda was Coco's lol.

And... further down the parkway was "Lou & John's Soup to Nuts". remember that? [by 'nuts' they meant nuts, bolts, screws, tools, etc] It was a crazy place!

That was Bull's Head, not Morey's.

The Billy Martin thing happened at Moreys. Well not actually at Moreys but thats where he got bombed prior to the accident.

Romalo's on Washington Ave, Endicott. My first job in high school was there as a dish washer & cold prep. All the free pizza and soda you wanted plus they gave us free dinners every night, sometimes fillet migon!

Favorite bar: The TAZ.

Guest Bartender

The Billy Martin thing happened at Moreys. Well not actually at Moreys but thats where he got bombed prior to the accident.

Wrong it was the library on 12A

Archived