what your favorite old buisness thats gone

OP.

• Replies 882
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, first of all, that poster didn't say he was driving, and second, there was speculation that he might've been.

Neither one of them should've been, that's for certain.

Wrong again. It was Moreys

Before it was The Library, it was Mickey's Mound. That is where he was with William Reedy before he died in the car accident:

Billy Martin of the Yankees Killed in Crash on Icy Road

By MURRAY CHASS

Published: December 26, 1989

Billy Martin, the combative baseball manager who was celebrated for his ability to motivate players but was notorious for fighting with them and others, was killed yesterday in a traffic accident near Binghamton, N.Y. He was 61 years old.

According to the sheriff's office in Broome County, Mr. Martin was a passenger in a pickup truck driven by William Reedy, 53, a longtime friend of Mr. Martin from Detroit. The accident occurred at 5:45 P.M. near Mr. Martin's home.

Mr. Reedy was charged with driving while intoxicated, said Sheriff Anthony Ruffo. The sheriff said the truck was owned by Mr. Martin.

The Associated Press quoted witnesses as having said the pickup truck skidded off the icy Potter Hill Road in Fenton, continued 300 feet down an embankment and stopped at the foot of Mr. Martin's driveway. The authorities said neither Mr. Martin nor Mr. Reedy was wearing a seat belt.

Mr. Martin was taken to Wilson Memorial Hospital in Johnson City, N.Y., where efforts to revive him failed, said Michael Doll, a hospital spokesman. Mr. Doll said Mr. Martin was pronounced dead at 6:56 P.M. of severe internal injuries and possible head injuries. Mr. Doll said an autopsy would be done today at the hospital.

• 3 months later...

The Dog House- best hot dogs ever

Carols- just remember the burgers were good but I was so little

That Hobby Store in Vestal (?) - now I have to order all my stuff on-line :(

Dairy Queen- old style, new ones suck

So many to name!

• 7 months later...

Duke's bar, Lubners, Popeye's, AMPS, PJ Haileys, Pine Inn, Outer Limits, Bobby Dee's, Steel's, Village Inn, Pine Lounge, Poncho's Pit after football games JC, Binghamton, and CC High School Crowd. What FIGHTS that were there and PJ Haileys which included the SV and North High Crowd!!!

ATAF's!

Yeah, they had great wings. After they closed it became a Pizza Hut, then a Papa Johns briefly. I think the building has been sitting empty for over a decade now.

G & H Diner Front St.

Kinda, sorta remember that. I do remember the Queen Elizabeth on Henry St. and the Tally Ho on Main.

What was the name of the little one-man grocery store on Oak St. on the ground floor? I think it's 67 Oak. The building is still there. The owner was the butcher. My grandmother used to go there in the 60's, walk the aisles, make a list, give it to the owner and he used to have a guy deliver the groceries.

There were a few Giant Markets around but she was old-school (literally, she taught 1st grade at Alexander Hamilton) and she would go there instead of the Giant because of the personal touch. She could order exactly what cuts of meat she wanted and he knew just what to give her.

He had the old penny candy in glass jars at the counter. Atomic Balls and tootsie rolls were really a penny each. Big ass bagful for 25 cents.

I don't remember if he sold ground beef, but my grandmother would buy beef and grind it herself by hand in an old cast iron meat grinder that she let me operate. It was built like a battleship, like they used to make metal utensils. It would screw onto a tabletop from the bottom. She used to have an actual pantry room.

She had to buy Chemung Spring Water because the city water so was crappy. If you poured some into a glass you could watch the white flakes settle to the bottom.

I remember Crowley used to deliver every day. She'd leave her order on their order cards each morning and they'd fill it by mid-morning. Milk, OJ, cottage cheese, heavy cream. The chocolate milk was just awesome. No low-fat anything.

Isn't there a Pudgies on Robinson Street??

Their prices are a joke. $20 for a large cheese??? $22 for a Snack pack?? Screw em.

I'll just go to Nick's for a real pizza for $10.

For you bowlers , remember

Johnson city Bowling Center (32 lanes)

Manor House lanes

Town and Country Lanes

State Bowling Center

Rainbow Garden Lanes

IBM CC Lanes

Renos

as long as Jack isnt involved!

Yeah, they had great wings. After they closed it became a Pizza Hut, then a Papa Johns briefly. I think the building has been sitting empty for over a decade now.

wrong! it now houses Daylight Donuts.

Guest Old Guest

DiLasias Bakery on Court St had some of the best baked goods ever and was very popular for anyone with a sweet tooth especially after Mass at the Old St Marys of the Assumption Church on Hawley Street. DiRienzo's Bakery when the 2 brothers had it. Another place to visit after church to buy their pizza and home made hard rolls and bread that were original hard rolls. Also there was the Mohican Grocery downtown and I remember traveling to the store with my little red wagon in tow to carry the groceries home that my mother bought there. Then there was the old Rexall Drug on the Corner of Court street near the old Sears which was located across the street from where the new library sits. The Drug Store use to have the best Ice Cream Sundaes and Floats and it was the next best thing to go to Rexall if we couldnt make it to Woolworths. Remember the old EJ Shoe Store on Court St and next door to it the Giant Markets opened up. When the Giant opened up there they had the Good Humor Man Truck and he was giving out free ice cream to kids and patrons curtesy of the Giant. The new library sits on that spot now. Times sure have changed in this city and not for the better.

Duke's bar, Lubners, Popeye's, AMPS, PJ Haileys, Pine Inn, Outer Limits, Bobby Dee's, Steel's, Village Inn, Pine Lounge, Poncho's Pit after football games JC, Binghamton, and CC High School Crowd. What FIGHTS that were there and PJ Haileys which included the SV and North High Crowd!!!

Westover Bar and Grill had awesome pizza.

Archived