Do you like to cook?

dingbat

I see so many things here about different restaurants...does anybody cook?

I love to cook, especially on the weekends.

We're doing it up today with a rib recipe I found in the Dinosaur cookbook.

On the side will be glazed carrots & beets, BBQ Beans & roasted asparagus.

What's cookin' at your house?

I love to cook and have a million recipes.

Matter of fact we just finished dinner which consisted of grilled NY strip steaks, baked seasoned sweet potatoes and steamed broccoli. Oops forgot about the chef salad and desert was carrot cake. I did a high temp sear on the meat which caramelized nicely. Rare, juicy.... Very tasty. This was a rather basic dinner but the sun was out and we were getting desperate for BBQ.

We usually do a number of different cuisines. I specialize in French, Chinese, Italian, American BBQ and sausage making. My prep chef does Polish, German and she's working on Indian. I'm always amazed at the number of people that don't cook. I started learning around age 6 and have never stopped. I've even thrown in some beer and cider making. Usually before Thanksgiving we make a big batch of cider to go with the dinner. Considering there's St Patty's Day and Easter coming up we'll be pretty busy. If anything I find cooking relaxing and it's always great to experiment. Just consider, how many guys do you know ever got a stove as birthday present.

So, how do you like your ribs?

http://www.wbng.com/news/entertainment/?fe...amp;id=16347631

NEW YORK -- The "Rachael Ray" show is looking for a few good cooks who want to pit their skills against each other for the chance to cook alongside daytime host Rachael Ray in her studio kitchen.

The winner will also receive a cook's dream, an extensive kitchen makeover with professional Viking appliances and Silestone counter-tops, plus the opportunity to participate in a culinary training program at the prestigious Le Cordon Bleu in Paris, France

Love to cook, DB!!!

Have more cookbooks and recipes than I know what to do w/, actually.

BTW, have you tried the Brined Pork Chop recipe in the Dinosaur cookbook?

I didn't have much planned today, and good thing, too, cuz I had a friend pop in unexpectedly, and we chatted over Bloody Mary's for a few hours.

Luckily, I had leftover Meat Sauce w/ Mushrooms and Angel Hair.

I also have some of that Black Bean Soup (from a prior thread) leftover, but think that's destined for the freezer.

I try to do the seasonal thing from time to time, this week it was Guinness Beef Stew and scones and next week, I am finally going to make corned beef and cabbage. I would love to go to a cooking class to learn how to make holupki and pierogi-but I have heard so many different opinions on what to use for the holupki sauce!

Love cooking too!

Just had some tasty latkes!

Anyone have any good vegetarian recipes they would like to share?

Here's one from my email folder.

Pasta w/ Bleu Cheese and Broccoli

2-3 cloves garlic, crushed

1/2 tsp red pepper flakes

2-3 tbs EVOO (extra virgin olive oil)

1/4 c butter, room temp

8 oz bleu cheese, crumbled, room temp (for a STRONG bleu cheese flavor)

4 tbs fresh grated Parmesan

1-1 1/4# broccoli flowerets, in bite size pieces

8 oz fusilli, radiatore, or penne rigate

Combine garlic, red pepper flakes, EVOO, butter, cheeses, and fresh cracked pepper, and set aside at room temp till softened.

Cook pasta till approx 4-5 min remain, and add the broccoli, cooking till bright green and crisp tender. (the recipe says 2 min, but that never works for me) I save about a cup of pasta water, to moisten the sauce if necessary...usually is somewhat.

Drain, and add to mixture in bowl, tossing to coat well.

Add kosher or sea salt if desired...depending on the saltiness of the cheeses.

Grape tomatoes were a nice addition to this, for both color and flavor.

I changed the original recipe a bit, adding more broccoli, and lessening the amount of pasta. Also, doubling the amount of cheese and garlic...as usual. ;-)

If you needed to feed more people, increase accordingly.

Guest Guest-poolbysven-*
http://www.wbng.com/news/entertainment/?fe...amp;id=16347631

NEW YORK -- The "Rachael Ray" show is looking for a few good cooks who want to pit their skills against each other for the chance to cook alongside daytime host Rachael Ray in her studio kitchen.

The winner will also receive a cook's dream, an extensive kitchen makeover with professional Viking appliances and Silestone counter-tops, plus the opportunity to participate in a culinary training program at the prestigious Le Cordon Bleu in Paris, France

Guest pasta guy
I see so many things here about different restaurants...does anybody cook?

I love to cook, especially on the weekends.

We're doing it up today with a rib recipe I found in the Dinosaur cookbook.

On the side will be glazed carrots & beets, BBQ Beans & roasted asparagus.

What's cookin' at your house?

I made a big pot of chicken cacciatore today, served over penne rigate, with a nice Caesar salad and lots of crusty Roma's Sunday bread... dam it was good! ;)

QUOTE (Guest @ Mar 9 2008, 07:04 PM)

DELETED

Must be the puppy owner that has humping problems ROFLMAO!!!!!! OMFG!!!!

Shoot I missed it...what was so funny?..lol

I do about 90% of the cooking here. The Mrs cooks sometimes, but as a general rule I do it all, even clean up my mess.

I love cooking. More in the summer then winter, only because I use the BBQ for just about everything.

Here's one from my email folder.

Pasta w/ Bleu Cheese and Broccoli

2-3 cloves garlic, crushed

1/2 tsp red pepper flakes

2-3 tbs EVOO

1/4 c butter, room temp

8 oz bleu cheese, crumbled, room temp (for a STRONG bleu cheese flavor)

4 tbs fresh grated Parm

1-1 1/4# broccoli flowerets, in bite size pieces

8 oz fusilli, radiatore, or penne rigate

Combine garlic, red pepper flakes, EVOO, butter, cheeses, and fresh cracked pepper, and set aside at room temp till softened.

Cook pasta till approx 4-5 min remain, and add the broccoli, cooking till bright green and crisp tender. (the recipe says 2 min, but that never works for me) I save about a cup of pasta water, to moisten the sauce if necessary...usually is somewhat.

Drain, and add to mixture in bowl, tossing to coat well.

Add kosher or sea salt if desired...depending on the saltiness of the cheeses.

Grape tomatoes were a nice addition to this, for both color and flavor.

I changed the original recipe a bit, adding more broccoli, and lessening the amount of pasta. Also, doubling the amount of cheese and garlic...as usual. ;-)

If you needed to feed more people, increase accordingly.

Hey 2pelo, sounds like a delicious recipe! I'll have to try it...thanks for sharing.

I'm not sure if everyone will be able to figure out what EVOO is, though.

Yes both my husband and I love to cook, thing is we end up cooking way to much for the two of us to eat up and since I am not a big leftover fan we usaully end up taking the food down to local bar and feeding some of the guys that very seldom get a home cook meal, either they don't have the means for homecooking or they would rather spend their money at the bar drinking all day and calling a bag of chips their lunch or dinner. Today the guys will be getting a turkey dinner complete with all the works that go with it since that is what we had last night.

Would like to learn to cook better. Have to cook for the family, but it doesn't seem to be my thing no matter what I do. Constantly criticized for the way I cook. Very frustrating. Alot of your recipes sound very good. Everyone makes it look so easy.

Would like to learn to cook better. Have to cook for the family, but it doesn't seem to be my thing no matter what I do. Constantly criticized for the way I cook. Very frustrating. Alot of your recipes sound very good. Everyone makes it look so easy.

Wow, BE, that sucks.

I'm wondering how you could perhaps get a few lessons in, then make them (literally) eat their words.

ooooooh Thanks for that recipe 2pelo! Sounds yummy, it would be good with goat cheese too.

Now I'm hungry after reading what everyone had last night!

Brighteyes, it took me a long time to be able to feel like a confident cook. Start simple, work on a few things to master those. I like to watch cooking shows and love reading cookbooks, I've learned a lot that way. Maybe your household could stand to be reminded how lucky they are to actually have someone there cooking for them.

Cat'sEye, one of my favorite dishes is a simple one. I make up some rice, any kind, but I like a mix of wild, brown and red. (It comes in a plastic jug at the Giant, no seasonings) Then I roast up a bunch of veggies, carrots, mushrooms, zucchini, asparagus, onions...whatever. I roast a head of garlic and make a light sauce with that, some chicken broth and fresh herbs. Obviously you wouldn't want to use chicken broth, but wine or cream would work too.

A good tip for roasting garlic? Don't roast the head whole. Break it up into cloves, but keep the paper on. Toss it with EVOO and S&P. Put it into a small baking dish and cover with foil. Roast for 30-45 minutes, till browned and caramelized. I find if you roast the head whole you waste a lot of the garlic, but if you do it this way, you get every drop!

The Mole, I like my ribs sweet and spicy. I like them best when we start them on the grill, then slow roast them in the oven.

That's great Bucca!

I saw "DELETED" last night....at least they get a nice meal after the romance ;)

:lol: :lol:

I think it might 2Pelo. I make this recipe where you stuff pear halves with herbed goat cheese then wrap in bacon and bake. Drizzle with honey in the last few minutes of cooking. Anyways....the goat cheese melts nicely with that.

I'll PM you that recipe. I was looking up recipes for chicken wing soup and they all were heavy and creamy, I think this is waaaay better....if I say so myself ;)

Archived