What's happening on the parkway

Guest Bob

Guest Guest
Hit the button too soon.

You don't like the war in Iraq or Afgahinstan, protest it just do it legally. Something wromg with theat?

You mean like throwing tea overboard?

Or walking the streets of Montgomery alabama?

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Guest
Or walking the streets of Montgomery alabama
They had a permit for that right?

Looks like you hit the button too soon again....spellcheck, proofread
So sorry, didn't know I'd be graded.

Guest Guest
well, they got about a dozen people on here discussing the war, the constitution and the rule of law. that's something.

As I read through this thread, I see the common theme is people discussing a group of stupid BU students and not the war in Iraq. It is discussed here that they broke the law and the constitution does not support their means of protest. Again, nothing accomplished in their favor. It is interesting that you see something other than that which is "black and white" and right in front of you.

Guest Guest

About 60 protesters continued the march down to the Vestal Parkway.

That's where the peaceful demonstration, turned violent.

The protestors were headed to an army recruiting center in the University Plaza.

Vestal Police say they were allowing the protestors to march in the right lane.

But when they began to block traffic in the passing lane chaos broke out.

Vestal police say about a dozen protestors were pepper sprayed, and arrested.

"There was no violence what so ever. There weren't any police around on campus. And then we got out on the Vestal Parkway and they were following us, the police weren't bothering us at all. All of the sudden we pull over a little bit and they started attacking people. I was standing right there." said Sherri Ashkins BU student

Police say when they asked the students to stay in the right lane they resisted.

And some officers were assaulted.

Who wants to start placing bets that these spolied little BU brats try to sue the police?

Ever hear of "Freedom of Speech" and the right to peaceably assemble ???

It's in this document called the U.S Constitution.

Perhaps you've heard of that.

That's what our soldiers have died for since the 1770's and are still dying for in Iraq....according to GWB.

You failed Civics class in school, huh?

Since when is running out into traffic on a busy highway and risking innocent lives a "peaceful assembly"???

BTW aren't these little pukes suppose to be in class or something? Oh wait! Mommy and Daddy are paying for their education, so why do they need to pass?

Guest Guest
Since when is running out into traffic on a busy highway and risking innocent lives a "peaceful assembly"???

BTW aren't these little pukes suppose to be in class or something? Oh wait! Mommy and Daddy are paying for their education, so why do they need to pass?

Out of the total number of protesters, how many actually ran out in the road and blocked traffic.

You and the Frantic Poster are making it sound like every single protester was out blocking the road.

Get yourself a better grip.

Or, go ahead and have an episode of cardiac arrest.

Swinging BACK from the right?? wow you must really have your head in the sand if you think this country guided by the right. Look at the media, the tv news, the major newspapers. Heck even the psb is a left paper. The left has been slowly eroding this country since the sixties. It doesn't take much to see that.

I don't agree with you there...it's a myth that mainstream media is left leaning, corporately controlled news outlets are quite the opposite it seems to me. Also US news just barely covers what goes on in the rest of the world. I think that we, Americans are less informed than say, Europeans. One must really dig into newspapers and go blog exploring online to find out what's happening in congress and even Iraq.

Guest Guest
About 60 protesters continued the march down to the Vestal Parkway.

That's where the peaceful demonstration, turned violent.

The protestors were headed to an army recruiting center in the University Plaza.

Vestal Police say they were allowing the protestors to march in the right lane.

But when they began to block traffic in the passing lane chaos broke out.

Vestal police say about a dozen protestors were pepper sprayed, and arrested.

"There was no violence what so ever. There weren't any police around on campus. And then we got out on the Vestal Parkway and they were following us, the police weren't bothering us at all. All of the sudden we pull over a little bit and they started attacking people. I was standing right there." said Sherri Ashkins BU student

Police say when they asked the students to stay in the right lane they resisted.

And some officers were assaulted.

Who wants to start placing bets that these spolied little BU brats try to sue the police?

They should sue the police. Not just the municipalities that they work for either; name the cops individually! Cops forget who they work for. One-on-one they're pretty nice but like any other gang of thugs, once they get together they become criminals themselves.

State and federal law enforcement officers are totally different. These well educated professional are just that "PROFESSIONALS". That's why they are paid two to three times as much (almost 70,000 per year for a first year state trooper). Now, if a personal isn't good enough for the New York State Police why should we hire them as a "city" cop and give them a gun and badge and say, "go get 'em" when, obviously, they can't pass the physical, psychological or intellectual requirements to be a state of federal officer.

Guest Guest
They should sue the police. Not just the municipalities that they work for either; name the cops individually! Cops forget who they work for. One-on-one they're pretty nice but like any other gang of thugs, once they get together they become criminals themselves.

State and federal law enforcement officers are totally different. These well educated professional are just that "PROFESSIONALS". That's why they are paid two to three times as much (almost 70,000 per year for a first year state trooper). Now, if a personal isn't good enough for the New York State Police why should we hire them as a "city" cop and give them a gun and badge and say, "go get 'em" when, obviously, they can't pass the physical, psychological or intellectual requirements to be a state of federal officer.

Cops are just underpaid criminals. As a profession their multi-phasic personality inventories are almost identical to those of sociopaths. Alcoholism, domestic violence, depression, suicide, just to name of few of the characteristics of a city or county law enforcement "officer".

The students create an unsafe situation on a busy highway, cause accidents, and shove the police and the POLICE are the ones who should be sued? Give me a break. If anyone should be sued it is the students. You want to protest? Keep it on your campus and keep the general public out of it. If you don't break the law, you don't have to interact with the police. You break the law, you pay the consequences.

Guest Guest
Cops are just underpaid criminals. As a profession their multi-phasic personality inventories are almost identical to those of sociopaths. Alcoholism, domestic violence, depression, suicide, just to name of few of the characteristics of a city or county law enforcement "officer".

throw enlisted grunts into the same group, and you see why we have so many war atrocities on our record

Guest Guest
The students create an unsafe situation on a busy highway, cause accidents, and attack the police and the POLICE are the ones who should be sued? Give me a break. If anyone should be sued it is the students. You want to protest? Keep it on your campus and keep the general public out of it. If you don't break the law, you don't have to interact with the police. You break the law, you pay the consequences.

Once again the rumor mill works overtime.

the PSB reported some shoving of the cops, no "attacks."

Once again the rumor mill works overtime.

the PSB reported some shoving of the cops, no "attacks."

Technically shoving can be considered an attack on an officer, but since you didn't like my wording I went back and edited my post. Either way, regardless of which word I chose to describe the "assault" on the police, my point still stands that the police did what they had to do to control a situation that should never have been taking place on the parkway to begin with. There was no need to put the safety of those using the parkway in jeopardy.

Guest Guest
The students create an unsafe situation on a busy highway, cause accidents, and shove the police and the POLICE are the ones who should be sued? Give me a break. If anyone should be sued it is the students. You want to protest? Keep it on your campus and keep the general public out of it. If you don't break the law, you don't have to interact with the police. You break the law, you pay the consequences.

Officer, the highway belongs to them as well as the rest of the public first of all. Secondly, the police have lost ALL CREDIBILITY with the public. We have all seen how you act when you think no one is watching. Someone will be causing an act of civil disobedience (a principle that is the very foundation of our nation) and the cops rush in there, provoke the person as much as possible, handcuff them and then beat the crap out of them. No more!

If I'm on the jury the Plaintiff will receive the maximum award that the law will allow. 90% of civil suites that are filed against the City of Binghamton are "settled" --- quickly and quietly and always under the stipulation that the terms of the settlement are sealed. Sue 'em. Not just their employers, sue them as individuals!

Guest Guest

If all the accidents were rubber neckers on the other side of the highway - were the police not derelict in duty by not monitoring and stopping traffic on the other side of the highway? seems they were preoccupied with arresting protesters rather than serving the public good.

Guest Benni Booboo

After just watching the news, it was obvious it was not just BU students, but other citizens as well. Also, police never overreact and strut their power. As a driver, it is your responsibility to have control of your vehecle at all times, its called defensive driving and we all know that everyone follows the speed limit on the parkway.

Guest Guest
After just watching the news, it was obvious it was not just BU students, but other citizens as well. Also, police never overreact and strut their power. As a driver, it is your responsibility to have control of your vehecle at all times, its called defensive driving and we all know that everyone follows the speed limit on the parkway.

so we never need police to direct traffic?

Guest guest
We never need police whatsoever. Send them all to Iraq when they can be tough guys.

Spoken like a true loser. Is this going to turn into another bashing of the police? Everyone hates the police till they need to be saved, or helped!

Guest guest

It is so evident that the vast number of posters here are blatantly biased against BU students. The ignorant and obnoxious terms that have been used regarding the students is so typical of the mindset of Binghamton. This is such a poor representation of our community. I applaud the BU students for becoming involved. Thank God, it's about time. Had college students, as well as other citizens, taken to the streets when this outrageous war first started, maybe we wouldn't have lost over 4,000 young American lives, and the unbelievable number of "enemy" lives lost. Good luck to the BU students who bring energy and enthusiasm to our community...not to mention the boost to our sagging economy. And to the folks on this board who cannot even use appropriate language to voice their discontent with the student's actions...your words aptly describe your intellect.

If this was supossed to be a "peaceful" protest, why did I witness at least three BU punks with handkerchiefs covering their faces, like common anarcists, they were there to start trouble with the cops from the beginning. I loved seeing one punk get sprayed and fall down crying like a baby, and another coward with his face covered have a tantrum and kick a street sign ( how brave) when his buddy got arrested.

Guest Guest
Hey poptart, I am usually on your side, but you seem overly concerned about some problems and injuries due to a protest, but not as concerened with the multitude of problems and hundres of thousands of deaths due to the war. It is kind of like the people who were so down on the saint pats four, saying how dangerous it was to have a little blood tossed around, yet they did not seem to concerned about the blood of a couple hundred thousand people, over 50,000 of which was the blood of US troops, nearly 500 of which died.

100% on the money and all you close minded bingalingers (citizen born and raised in BC, myself included) refuse to see the big picture. There are huge corporations that have made billions off Bush's War, THAT and about ten other examples of gov't corruption, is what is more important than some kids who have more DELETED than the entire population of Boon County, standing up for their rights!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am moving to PA, this place is a joke. If laughing wasn't so healthy I would already be gone!!

Archived