What's happening on the parkway

Guest Bob

Guest Guest
From the raw footage it looks like the Vestal Police and BU Campus Security went overboard. The kids were blocking the street but that not such a problem until they got near the recruiting area. The police appear to follow the protestors for several minutes before one cop leaves his car and very aggressively steps up into the guy walking in the passing lane. Suddenly the act of holding up traffic is a crime and now needs direct physical intervention. A melee breaks out with the police throwing kids to the ground although the reason for needing to do so isn't apparent in any way from the video. In fact one of the kids just seems to be standing there when he's thrown to the ground and cuffed. This is later explained as necessary due to the endangering of public safety as supposedly proven by a traffic accident when it appears that it was the police reaction and arrests which caused the accident. You can clearly see the crumpled car limp by as the police are busy throwing kids down and spraying mace at the kids standing nearby. The kids shouldn't have pushed the police, if they did, but the police bungled this affair precipitating the confrontation leading to the pushing. I'm kind of ashamed from what I saw.

Screw you and your tree hugging ass.

Those "kids" put a stop to traffic for people that could be on their way to doctor appointments, on their way to work, or fot whatever eother reason they were driving their vehicles on the road for at that time, all the while not being able to get to their destinations because of a bunch of punks.

The only problem I have with the police action that took place is that they didn't arrest all of those creeps that were causing the problems.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Guest

I have to say some things about BU Students. First of all, I was one and graduated in 1998. I than took some time off and went back to school for my Masters. My family is originally from downstate but moved up here where I grew up. I hated dealing with students from downstate on campus (not all), they were often very arrogant because they felt that they were more worldly and that everyone from Binghamton are Hicks, and missing teeth. In classes they would constantly make fun of our area, and the townies that live here. Now, I work in the Vestal area and deal with BU Students frequently. I cannot tell you how many times they have been rude to me and then tell me that they have an education and I do not. Little do they know I have a Masters degree from their University, guess they are not so smart after all.

Guest Guest
They should sue the police. Not just the municipalities that they work for either; name the cops individually! Cops forget who they work for. One-on-one they're pretty nice but like any other gang of thugs, once they get together they become criminals themselves.

State and federal law enforcement officers are totally different. These well educated professional are just that "PROFESSIONALS". That's why they are paid two to three times as much (almost 70,000 per year for a first year state trooper). Now, if a personal isn't good enough for the New York State Police why should we hire them as a "city" cop and give them a gun and badge and say, "go get 'em" when, obviously, they can't pass the physical, psychological or intellectual requirements to be a state of federal officer.

You are a moron. Check the starting salary of a Trooper. It's not $70,000.00 off the bat know-it-all. Not everyone wants to run the risk of obtaining a job w/ NYSP and run the risk of being sent elsewhere in the state for several years before they can come back on their home turf to live. Did you ever think that some people might want to be a local cop because their family ties are deeply rooted here and they just might want to make a difference? Make sure their neighborhoods are a safe place to live? Last time I checked some of the agencies you imply as being less than, require college educations and extensive training. You also imply that "city" cops and the like are rejects from the State Police..Why don't you blow your own horn somehwere else.

Guest Guest
From the raw footage it looks like the Vestal Police and BU Campus Security went overboard. The kids were blocking the street but that not such a problem until they got near the recruiting area. The police appear to follow the protestors for several minutes before one cop leaves his car and very aggressively steps up into the guy walking in the passing lane. Suddenly the act of holding up traffic is a crime and now needs direct physical intervention. A melee breaks out with the police throwing kids to the ground although the reason for needing to do so isn't apparent in any way from the video. In fact one of the kids just seems to be standing there when he's thrown to the ground and cuffed. This is later explained as necessary due to the endangering of public safety as supposedly proven by a traffic accident when it appears that it was the police reaction and arrests which caused the accident. You can clearly see the crumpled car limp by as the police are busy throwing kids down and spraying mace at the kids standing nearby. The kids shouldn't have pushed the police, if they did, but the police bungled this affair precipitating the confrontation leading to the pushing. I'm kind of ashamed from what I saw.

I'm ashamed from reading your post to think that there are idiots out there like you who see nothing wrong with a group of protesters blocking traffic on a state roadway that is highly traveled. Just how long do you think the police should have tolerated the nonsense these individuals caused? Proetesting is one thing. But doing so in a safe and peaceful manner is another. Peaceful does not define disobeying a lawful order to stay in one lane or tying up traffic for miles because you're proving a point. The police were being tolerant by even allowing them to walk in the road! Don't you get it? That's what sidewalks and the land adjacent to the roadways are for..walking. Roadways are for DRIVING. See the difference? When you are ordered to do something by the police it is usually for A GOOD REASON, LIKE SAFETY. Hello. BTW it's not campus security either, I believe it is New York State University Police. And I didn't see one of those officers man handle or go overboard with any of their actions. That just shows how antiquated and ignorant of current status and title you are. But that it reflected in your verbalizations. And who the hell uses MACE. I believe the term you don't know is PEPPER SPRAY. Oleo capsecum resin...get your facts straight.

Guest Guest

Please get some sleep in Port Dick, your 24 duty including yesterdays event must have you exhausted. Rest and continue the usual circular patrol.

Guest Guest

Just watched the long video. Has anybody else noticed how unintelligent these people appear to be? They are seriously in college? They sounded and looked like a bunch of idiot morons, half the time they didnt even have a clue what they were talking about.

Guest Guest

That raw footage tells so much more that the other news sources do. P&SB, Fox40 and News10 all present much more sanitized versions of the event. In other words, this story was censored heavily.

Thanks WIVT for keeping it real.

Great find. Wish I could download it

The only things I want to know is was there a permit issue for this, and way was this not reported before hand on any of the news?

I do not have a problem with the meaning of "protest" itself, gawd knows most of us did our share of it when younger, but not to these extremes.

I have a major problem with these kids coming here from other areas and thinking that we owe them something. The residents of this area have been round and round with this issue for some time now and it seems like it's getting worse.

Yesterday's little protest got out of hand because the students of BU think they can do what-ever. It was a total disruption of the traffic and put people in harms way by blocking a major road.

T'd is not the word that I am about this. I had a 2:30pm appointment that I waited almost 5 weeks for and then I could not make it because I could not get to Plaza Drive east bound coming from Endicott. I couldn't even get turned around to hop back on the highway and go back to Binghamton and come down the Parkway west because I was smack in the middle of traffic at the 201 exit ramp going on the parkway. Now I have to wait another 3 weeks for another appointment. Maybe I should get the names of these 'kiddies' and sue them and see how they like it.

These so called adult students ( notice I said 'SO CALLED' ) need to be responsible for their actions and every single one of them should be put into public service cleaning this area up of the trash they dispose of in our County.

It makes me sick. It's bad enough we have to put up with them in the stores acting like mindless jerks, now this. Personally, we the residents of this area should send a strong message to these so called adult students. Let them sit in jail for a week and then 300 hours of community service picking up their garbage.

having been there and having had to console the sprayed..

and then trying to raise $1500 bail for the three out of nine...

which we did

i'd have to say...

i'm *&^%-ing proud!

proud to know that there are people in our community willing to step up

and create an inconvenience

while most forget about the War on Terror

as for the accidents....

numbnut rubber-neckers

oh...

and...

NO so-called authorities thought it was important to provide public safety

on the other side of 434

completely forgetting about the eastbound lane

ummmm....

25 patrol cars

no one watching 'the other side'?

amateurs

but i'll give it up for the more intelligent officers

they strove to keep the peace

the numbnut cop who hit us with 'their' police car

started it

and later he said...

"Don't stand in front of MY car again..."

Who's car?

I thought we OWN the police

we...

public citizens

taxpayers

community members

ummmm....

something's not right

or really wrong

Guest Guest
Do you have any idea who the Prez has been for the past 7 years, and, up until Jan., which party controlled Congress???

Duh??????????????

Duh!! The congress approved the war and rightly so. We did not go to war until after 9-11. What should have we done, sit on our hands and ask for an apology. I know, I know, Iraq had nothing to do with 9-11. Not directly but behind the scenes, I would bet they had some part in it. The fact is, we are there now and leaving before the job is done would be disastrous.

Guest Guest

They should have tazed them all and then draft 'em. Punks! I am a veteran and I am ashamed of these left wing nut jobs. They make me sick.

Guest Guest
They should sue the police. Not just the municipalities that they work for either; name the cops individually! Cops forget who they work for. One-on-one they're pretty nice but like any other gang of thugs, once they get together they become criminals themselves.

State and federal law enforcement officers are totally different. These well educated professional are just that "PROFESSIONALS". That's why they are paid two to three times as much (almost 70,000 per year for a first year state trooper). Now, if a personal isn't good enough for the New York State Police why should we hire them as a "city" cop and give them a gun and badge and say, "go get 'em" when, obviously, they can't pass the physical, psychological or intellectual requirements to be a state of federal officer.

Sue them for what? On the news you can clearly see the protestors getting out of control, one went so far as to hit the police with their signs. What kind of protesting is that? You want to stop the war by starting one with the police? Come on! Those spolied brats need to get back to class and leave the protesting to the adults.

Guest Guest
Duh!! The congress approved the war and rightly so. We did not go to war until after 9-11. What should have we done, sit on our hands and ask for an apology. I know, I know, Iraq had nothing to do with 9-11. Not directly but behind the scenes, I would bet they had some part in it. The fact is, we are there now and leaving before the job is done would be disastrous.

Go ahead and bet the deed to your house.

I'll see you at the Salv. Army next week.

GWB was banking that he'd be able to convince us that Saddam was "probably" involved in 9/11, too. When he found out it wasn't true, he spent a lot of time dancing and trying to force feed America a few more reasons why it had to be done. He was counting on unthinking, gullible people like you. He found a good 28%.

I'm proud of them...!! The pendulum is swinging from the right back to something that makes sense....it's about time.

How right you are preemptive strikes and world domination put missiles in Poland and get Putin on the war path and back to the cold war. How much more can we stand. How much longer before we have a draft again. Right wing fanatics.

which we did

i'd have to say...

i'm *&^%-ing proud!

as for the accidents....

numbnut rubber-neckers

oh...

and...

on the other side of 434

ummmm....

25 patrol cars

amateurs

started it

and later he said...

Who's car?

we...

public citizens

taxpayers

community members

ummmm....

something's not right

or really wrong

Listen junior...we all know that you and your little friends wanted to make a scene. and of course not a single one of your little group did anything to provoke the police. But sadly that is not what the 20 minute video that i saw showed. What it showed was a group of arrogant self centered students who thought that they were above any authority. Stopping traffic and disrupting hundreds of lives of people while chanting it is "our streets" to show your support of terroists worldwide. what a shameful and disrepectful display. YOU don't own the police unless you pay taxes to spport them. You don't OWN the police. you support them so that one day they can assist you when needed. They did their job yesterday keeping you and your little band of anarchists sfe from being run over. That was their job. Then how do you repay them? By shoving them and showing them no respect. were you the little terrorist with a bandana on his face as a mask? or were you one of the "protesters" walking backwards to keep an eye on the police?

if youwant to protest...go ahead it is your right to voice your opinion. However what I can not understand or condone is how supposedly intelligent people relate voicing their opinion with blantant disregards of rules, laws and the authority figures that are sworn to uphold these laws and freedoms. Society has come from a time in the 60's when people were begining to question those in charge to now when protestors feel that the rules and laws do not apply to them. If they are marching and break a law then they must pay a price. We have become a society that when a rule is not followed and punishment is handed down, it becomes a matter of police brutality or some other ridiculous charge. We have become the "not me society". We have to blame some one else for our problems and actions. The BU students and other protesters are a perfect example of that. They were taunting the police that were there to protect them, then shoved and assaulted them and then cried brutality when arrested. These protesters mock the war and do an injustice towards all service personel around the world. They are brainwashed by the leftist media to believe that the soldiers are muderers and kill innocents in iraq. Yet by protesting, they show support to the real murderers. The insurgents, the terrorists that strap a bomb to themselves and go to a crowded area to kill and injure as many as possible.

I salute those whose job it is to protect us. The soldiers all around the world who are there to protect us. The police officers whose job is to protect us andcome to our aid often without a thanks from us. We should all hold them in high regards as well as authority figures. sure there are those in authority who are not upholding their standards.....but are we doing our part?

you are right...something is not right....but something is not right with us all!

Guest Guest
I say all the residents of BC go up to BU and block these little morons from their classes LOL.

Thats the best idea yet- or maybe we can push them into the vestal parkway to show support for them.

@

Guest Mets in 08
Do you have any idea who the Prez has been for the past 7 years, and, up until Jan., which party controlled Congress???

Duh??????????????

that means absolutely nothing....the media has traditionally been a left wing organization and if you think otherwise then you are just plain blind

Guest Guest
The only things I want to know is was there a permit issue for this, and way was this not reported before hand on any of the news?

I do not have a problem with the meaning of "protest" itself, gawd knows most of us did our share of it when younger, but not to these extremes.

I have a major problem with these kids coming here from other areas and thinking that we owe them something. The residents of this area have been round and round with this issue for some time now and it seems like it's getting worse.

Yesterday's little protest got out of hand because the students of BU think they can do what-ever. It was a total disruption of the traffic and put people in harms way by blocking a major road.

T'd is not the word that I am about this. I had a 2:30pm appointment that I waited almost 5 weeks for and then I could not make it because I could not get to Plaza Drive east bound coming from Endicott. I couldn't even get turned around to hop back on the highway and go back to Binghamton and come down the Parkway west because I was smack in the middle of traffic at the 201 exit ramp going on the parkway. Now I have to wait another 3 weeks for another appointment. Maybe I should get the names of these 'kiddies' and sue them and see how they like it.

These so called adult students ( notice I said 'SO CALLED' ) need to be responsible for their actions and every single one of them should be put into public service cleaning this area up of the trash they dispose of in our County.

It makes me sick. It's bad enough we have to put up with them in the stores acting like mindless jerks, now this. Personally, we the residents of this area should send a strong message to these so called adult students. Let them sit in jail for a week and then 300 hours of community service picking up their garbage.

I agree 100% w/ everything you say....the problem is that once people start sewing these spoiled kids the ACLU will be all over this saying how we are violating their rights......talk about a fascist organization the ACLU takes the cake!

Guest Mets in 2008

which we did

i'd have to say...

i'm *&^%-ing proud!

as for the accidents....

numbnut rubber-neckers

oh...

and...

on the other side of 434

ummmm....

25 patrol cars

amateurs

started it

and later he said...

Who's car?

we...

public citizens

taxpayers

community members

ummmm....

something's not right

or really wrong

Just a few questions....where was your permit for this protest? And are you going to pay the medical bills for the injuries that YOUR GROUP CAUSED?!! Don't feed us any bs about how the police were excessive in their treatment. You all were breaking the law pure and simple. I hope there weren't people that needed to get to the hospital and couldn't b/c of your group did. Why couldn't you have just stayed on campus and out of everyone else's way?

Just a few questions....where was your permit for this protest? And are you going to pay the medical bills for the injuries that YOUR GROUP CAUSED?!! Don't feed us any bs about how the police were excessive in their treatment. You all were breaking the law pure and simple. I hope there weren't people that needed to get to the hospital and couldn't b/c of your group did. Why couldn't you have just stayed on campus and out of everyone else's way?

Or stayed in the lane given to them by the police...........

...which was obviously a bad idea on someone's part.

I don't agree with them having any lanes and impeding traffic, however the police tried to work with them and gave them a lane, and they couldn't respect that and had to take more.

Archived