Real Estate

Guest getting out of here

Guest laughing hard
I will start off by throwing my white flag up, I am a realtor, but I come in peace!! If you are worried about the house not selling in time... you can put it on the market now with a contingency that will allow a buyer to put an offer on the house and purchase it, but it will not officially close until January. This will also allow for you to have your house on the market for a longer time period, if it doesn't sell you can gradually reduce the price; this way you are not scrambling to sell it in december after a drastic price reduction. Hope I helped! Let me know if you have any other questions!

This is very bad advice from an inexperienced agent. Nobody is going to wait from March 08 till Jan 09 to move into the house they are going to buy. Your advice is very detrimental to the seller.

All you would accomplish is make the house shopworn by having it on the market for so long, Shopworn houses sell for much less then houses new on the market.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This is very bad advice from an inexperienced agent. Nobody is going to wait from March 08 till Jan 09 to move into the house they are going to buy. Your advice is very detrimental to the seller.

All you would accomplish is make the house shopworn by having it on the market for so long, Shopworn houses sell for much less then houses new on the market.

If the seller was worried about the house not selling in time, don't you think this option would be less stressful for them by giving them time to have their house on the market and not having to rush around at the end of December trying to find a buyer? Perhaps I was a little too hasty when I posted earlier that they should list now, maybe I should have just said soon... however, this was my opinion and that is the way I would approach the situation. If you would use a different strategy I am sure the OP would appreciate your advice. No need to bash me for voicing my opinion. Thanks for your input though; always appreciated!

Guest Guest
Actually I sold mine in 06' Get a clue, you sound like a realtor. Wait a minute! I bet you are one!

Warning everyone, theres a rose colored glasses wearing realtor on the board.

The only houses that sold fast were rental properties. And no one local bought them. Nor did locals move into them.

Haven't you read all the posts about the NYC people moving in?

Nah...you wear rose colored glasses.

Perhaps your own glasses need a bit of cleaning. I sold my house in Binghamton last summer, sold it in 3 weeks, and got more than I could have dreamed for it. I agree the market isn't great, but it's not as gloomy as you say unless you home is in the flood plain or the Endicott Plume or some other horrible thing like a crappy neighborhood. I wonder how many of these comlainers who are pretending to move have actually checked out real estate prices in other states. In many places you will get half the house you can get here for the same amount of money. Check the real estate ads for other cities, it's true.

Guest oh brother!
Why dont you just post your phone number, realtor, since you advertise it everywhere else anyway?

What's your problem? Are you a professional miserable person? Sure sounds like it.

Another issue w/ that long term sale issue is that if the Buyer's need bank financing, they'll need to attempt to either find a long term rate lock, or float and hope they don't jump too high.

Additionally, their credit docs will have to be updated a few times, so someone has to strongly counsel them not to do anything detrimental after they initially apply that a later credit report would reflect, or deplete assets intended for down payment.

@

Guest Guest
Perhaps your own glasses need a bit of cleaning. I sold my house in Binghamton last summer, sold it in 3 weeks, and got more than I could have dreamed for it. I agree the market isn't great, but it's not as gloomy as you say unless you home is in the flood plain or the Endicott Plume or some other horrible thing like a crappy neighborhood. I wonder how many of these comlainers who are pretending to move have actually checked out real estate prices in other states. In many places you will get half the house you can get here for the same amount of money. Check the real estate ads for other cities, it's true.

Heres the thing, in a real economy you would never even find houses in the BC price range.

In another state you pay only a 4th of the taxes on your property.

You have actual appreciation of your property.

There are real jobs out there as well.

BC is one giant crappy neighborhood. Look around.

Heres the thing, in a real economy you would never even find houses in the BC price range.

In another state you pay only a 4th of the taxes on your property.

You have actual appreciation of your property.

There are real jobs out there as well.

BC is one giant crappy neighborhood. Look around.

In what other state would you be paying a 4th of the taxes? One that isnt fit for you kids to get a good education .. or provide services that you now rely on ..

You been listening too much to people who are think they are happy .. who think they have it good, but are just giving you a line of BS.. yeah there are some out there, but im telling ya ..

THE GRASS IS NOT ALWAYS GREENER ON THE OTHER SIDE>.

@

Guest Guest
In what other state would you be paying a 4th of the taxes? One that isnt fit for you kids to get a good education .. or provide services that you now rely on ..

You been listening too much to people who are think they are happy .. who think they have it good, but are just giving you a line of BS.. yeah there are some out there, but im telling ya ..

THE GRASS IS NOT ALWAYS GREENER ON THE OTHER SIDE>.

@

What services would you need to rely on? Social services? In an area that is thriving with a healthy tax base, you don't need to tax the hell out of the masses that are there. Thats what creates a healthy economy!!! Theres more people to pay for the services ie: fire, police, education, etc...

More people, more employees, more money circulation, better growth.

Few people, few jobs, same amount of Gov't employees with their union mandates equates to high taxes and more poverty.

NYS is the number 1 worst state for unions and their ridiculous mandates. The taxes are what drove people away. It prevents new people from coming in. It keeps business away.

As for your education argument, get real man! You think because you pay more, its any better there?

But I'll tell you what, if your happy paying and suffering up there, so be it.

NY has you so brainwashed you cannot imagine a place where people actually have to be self reliant and the gov't allows them to be that way.

NYS has you believing that you cannot exist without some form of a gov't handout, and that all of you MUST pay for it.

Sounds to me like you're the one with the lousy NYS education. All that money spent and wasted.

Guest Guest
Why aren't you annoying your neighbors? <_<

Am I annoying you? Good, maybe it'll rattle something loose that clogs up all your twisted thinking up there in NY.

Yes the truth is annoying. It needs to be told.

Am I annoying you? Good, maybe it'll rattle something loose that clogs up all your twisted thinking up there in NY.

Yes the truth is annoying. It needs to be told.

If you are so glad to not be a NY resident, then why are you fixated on a NY message board? If your current location is great, why aren't you out enjoying it?

What services would you need to rely on? Social services? In an area that is thriving with a healthy tax base, you don't need to tax the hell out of the masses that are there. Thats what creates a healthy economy!!! Theres more people to pay for the services ie: fire, police, education, etc...

More people, more employees, more money circulation, better growth.

Few people, few jobs, same amount of Gov't employees with their union mandates equates to high taxes and more poverty.

NYS is the number 1 worst state for unions and their ridiculous mandates. The taxes are what drove people away. It prevents new people from coming in. It keeps business away.

As for your education argument, get real man! You think because you pay more, its any better there?

But I'll tell you what, if your happy paying and suffering up there, so be it.

NY has you so brainwashed you cannot imagine a place where people actually have to be self reliant and the gov't allows them to be that way.

NYS has you believing that you cannot exist without some form of a gov't handout, and that all of you MUST pay for it.

Sounds to me like you're the one with the lousy NYS education. All that money spent and wasted.

You picked the wrong one to pick a fight with .. I just moved here from the SO CALLED PROMISE land as you see it.

I had a beautiful house, low taxes ....... high paying job (and still do) but schools - lack of services that you all take for granted, street cleaning, garbage cleanup from roads, keeping roads maintained in bad weather, police and fire companies - that actually care and the list can go on and on .. that is not provided in a low tax county in your so called PROMISE LAND ..

I moved to NY and love it here and not complaining about my 2.5 times higher taxes and less house ... My kids are in good schools, I feel safe - not worrying about the next drive by (I LIVED OUT IN THE COUNTY previously) had 2 drive bys and one of the bullets hit my house.. I never felt safe in the so CALLED PROMISE LAND for 9 years I lived there. Some choices we make come about because of career, some are for family .. Im a lucky one.. have a career that let me out of the corporate office to be where I WANT TO BE - BROOME COUNTY NY ..

so back off with your social service comment ... your picking at the wrong person.

@

Guest Guest
You picked the wrong one to pick a fight with .. I just moved here from the SO CALLED PROMISE land as you see it.

I had a beautiful house, low taxes ....... high paying job (and still do) but schools - lack of services that you all take for granted, street cleaning, garbage cleanup from roads, keeping roads maintained in bad weather, police and fire companies - that actually care and the list can go on and on .. that is not provided in a low tax county in your so called PROMISE LAND ..

I moved to NY and love it here and not complaining about my 2.5 times higher taxes and less house ... My kids are in good schools, I feel safe - not worrying about the next drive by (I LIVED OUT IN THE COUNTY previously) had 2 drive bys and one of the bullets hit my house.. I never felt safe in the so CALLED PROMISE LAND for 9 years I lived there. Some choices we make come about because of career, some are for family .. Im a lucky one.. have a career that let me out of the corporate office to be where I WANT TO BE - BROOME COUNTY NY ..

so back off with your social service comment ... your picking at the wrong person.

Yes! This is what I like to hear!! Good to have you in Broome County!

@

I moved to Broome county for work, left thinking the grass was greener someplace else, and moved back. It's pretty decent and affordable living around here. Every place has its issues, and I am not saying Broome county is perfect. Where I lived before a studio apartment cost $1200-1500 a month in rent, and car insurance was approx $4,000-$6,000 a year (never having been in an accident or any violations). I took a pay raise to move back to Broome County, doing the same work, and it is much easier to comfortably live here.

Guest Guest

So your highly educated mind taught you that living in a depressed area with non growth in ANY sector, and Far higher taxes than anywhere in the country was a good choice?

You belong right where you are.

I have no lack of services as well. Nor do I have to pay to keep the poor around. I like knowing that I live in a thriving area that is not importing poverty to suck the system, just so the local gov't can get more grant and state aid to stay afloat.

Gangs? As I recall former mayor Bucci stated there is not a gang problem there. So you have nothing to worry about.

What a joke.

How's that NYSEG bill this year?

Yes, you certainly are lucky.

I bet you have a state or fed job? Either way, you must be getting some of your income from the gov't.

Yes, in the form of the STAR program. Don't you just love knowing that not everyone has to pay property taxes there? Only the working poor.

When you leave there turn the lights out please.

So your highly educated mind taught you that living in a depressed area with non growth in ANY sector, and Far higher taxes than anywhere in the country was a good choice?

I have no lack of services as well. Nor do I have to pay to keep the poor around. I like knowing that I live in a thriving area that is not importing poverty to suck the system, just so the local gov't can get more grant and state aid to stay afloat.

Gangs? As I recall former mayor Bucci stated there is not a gang problem there. So you have nothing to worry about.

What a joke.

I bet you have a state or fed job? Either way, you must be getting some of your income from the gov't.

Yes, in the form of the STAR program. Don't you just love knowing that not everyone has to pay property taxes there? Only the working poor.

Again, if where you live is so great, why are you living on a message board for an area you do not live in? We chose to live here, and we are happy here.

Guest Guest
Again, if where you live is so great, why are you living on a message board for an area you do not live in? We chose to live here, and we are happy here.

Are you sure about that? I mean, are you really sure? Because what I read on the board shows that pretty much everyone there is miserable. But when a person like myself comes along, you all change your tune to how sunny and nice it is.

You're not fooling anyone.

What a joke.

your such an DELETED ... electric in NC was higher than NYSEG... im paying half here..

and No .. Im not employed by state or local or federal government.. (but hmmm.. thats a thought LOL)

Gang problem .. you gotta be kidding .. not even close in comparison ... schools on this side of the county are not 75% racially divided .. .... YOUR PROMISE LAND ... was that and even worse .. and gangs .. welcome to COMPTON II ..

depressed area? ... hmpf .. funny .. i see it as the next up and coming area.. as long as people with inspirations and quality standards in there lives keeping moving here or returning here.. it will come back if it really even left.

I will repeat myself .. I love Broome County .. if you hate it so much ......... leave..... (you'll be eating our words one day)

Are you sure about that? I mean, are you really sure? Because what I read on the board shows that pretty much everyone there is miserable. But when a person like myself comes along, you all change your tune to how sunny and nice it is.

You're not fooling anyone.

I'm a registered user, so you can easily spot my posts...feel free to look through the threads I've posted on and find me one where I have stated that I didn't like living here. Yes, I've complained that the media has not kept us informed when crime was occuring in our neighborhoods, but I have not once said that I don't like it here. My tune hasn't changed. Our lives are a product of the choices we make, and I choose to live in Broome county.

Most of the "miserable" posts come from guests, and based on the wording it often looks like it is the same few each time.

@

Guest first time guest
Better act now. And don't expect too much. Regardless of what every realtor tries to sell you.

The market is dead in BC. Has been for over a decade.

Hope to break even.

Not trying to be a cynic, just being very realistic.

The realtors in BC will tell you anything you want to hear. If their lips are movin' their lyin'.

I got lucky and sold, and managed to make a profit. Getting out of BC is the best thing you could ever do for yourself.

I'm surprised to hear this as I just sold my house in the western part of Broome for nearly $100K more than I paid only 7 years ago. I did a few updates but not $100, 000 worth.

Guest first time guest
Obviously you have not tried to buy or sell recently (within the last few years). Not sure how it was now, but the market was booming in 2006, 2007. Houses were selling within the first week on the market well above asking price.

They still are. My house sold in 13 days in the dead middle of winter - January in fact.

@

Guest Guest
They still are. My house sold in 13 days in the dead middle of winter - January in fact.

@

Yup. Me too. Let the poster that found some godforsaken state where taxes are 1/4 the rate here (highly doubtful, this is clearly an exaggeration) anyway, let them to go Montana or some other forelorn place, I'd be glad to have them gone from binghamton. I love the way they always try to say anyone happy here is collecting social services. Not true, but I guess it makes the poster feel important or something. I just laugh and go to the next thread. Who cares what morons want to shoot their mouths off about? not me.

Guest guest homebuyer

I sold my home in 2006, in less than a month for $60,000 more than I bought it for in 2000. The only upgrade we did to the house was a new kitchen that cost considerably less than $60,000. Since we've moved into our new neighborhood, two houses around us have sold within a month as well. My brother lives in NC and is looking to move back up here...the schools are substandard, the population growth forces the schools to add classroom trailers on to the buildings and hire any kind of teacher they can get, certified or not! As for me, I'll stay here, raise my kids in great, safe neighborhoods and some of the best schools around!

Guest Guest
I sold my home in 2006, in less than a month for $60,000 more than I bought it for in 2000. The only upgrade we did to the house was a new kitchen that cost considerably less than $60,000. Since we've moved into our new neighborhood, two houses around us have sold within a month as well. My brother lives in NC and is looking to move back up here...the schools are substandard, the population growth forces the schools to add classroom trailers on to the buildings and hire any kind of teacher they can get, certified or not! As for me, I'll stay here, raise my kids in great, safe neighborhoods and some of the best schools around!

This thread is obviously populated with realtors and teachers- cant you just go do your jobs instead of being on BCV all the time?

@

Archived