Cortese Restaurant

Guest Guest

Guest Guest
Has anyone noticed that the entire wait staff is in their 50s... Has anyone had one of these lifers try and take your plate while you're still eating; or possibly had a bottle of wine taken from your table while there is still wine in it... and not just once, BUT EVERY TIME YOU'RE IN THE RESTAURANT.

Here's my thoughts, I'm guessing that the management at Cortese thinks that hiring older people to work in their "fancy" restaurant will result in better quality service that is more pleasing to all patrons, especially older patrons. The thought being that older people have been around longer, have learned how to handle and interact with a wide variety of people with respect and patience.

So shouldn't the wait staff (that has been at Cortese forever) be really polite, know that you should ask customers if they are finished with their food or drink before reaching in and trying to take it, be able to handle their tables when it gets busy, know what is on the menu, and be able to address problems if any arise professionally???

I don't want these people waiting on me, not only because they are rude and unpleasant, but because I have no interest in interacting with people that are arrogant and believe they deserve respect because they have been working at Cortese the longest. Maybe I'm alone here but I don't think working in a restaurant until the age of 50 is anything to brag about, or anything that requires a large amount of respect from customers.

Well, the wait staff might be older, but I resent having a 20 something ask me "what can I get for you 'guys'", when the group includes women. Very few young people have been taught any manners and I don't want them waiting on me if I can help it. If I owned a restaurant, I wouldn't hire them, either.

Being a server is a "profession" for teenagers and young adults. It should be used as a stepping stone into another career, or what pays a college students bar tab...

If Cortese would hire some younger and friendlier people to be servers, it might see a lot more satisfied customers, a happier overall staff, and fewer complaints.

PEOPLE GO OUT TO DINNER TO ENJOY THEMSELVES AND THE PEOPLE THEY ARE WITH; NOT TO HAVE MIDDLE-AGED LIFERS WITH AN ATTITUDE RUIN THE AFTERNOON OR NIGHT BECAUSE THEY ARE STILL WAITING TABLES AT THEIR AGE AND STILL CAN'T DO IT RIGHT.

Wake up!

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Guest
would you knowingly buy food from a restaraunt you knew was funneling money to Al Queda?

Same thing

I agree. It is no secret they are VERY anti-choice and have supported anti-choice groups in the past.

They were very public about it.

@

Guest Guest

Cortese is a great restaurant. The best food and service anyone would want.. Look at the crowds. The place is always full of customers. Name me one area restaurant that has been so accepted for so many years.

Cortese is a great restaurant. The best food and service anyone would want.. Look at the crowds. The place is always full of customers. Name me one area restaurant that has been so accepted for so many years.

I was there today for the first time. The food was excellent, and the waiter was attentive, I'd go again in a heart beat.

Guest Guest
I was there today for the first time. The food was excellent, and the waiter was attentive, I'd go again in a heart beat.

And yet, if your daughter was pregnant and needed to terminate her pregnancy in order to save her own life, the Cortese family would want to prevent her from saving her own heart beat.

I went there tonight with my wife, daughter and my father. We had a very filling meal for under $100 and I was extremely satisfied. As a matter of fact, it is far better than anything I've ever had at any local restaurant.

We started with salad and bread (and more bread). I had never tried the Pepper Parm cheese dressing and I will be ordering it again the next time I go. My main course was eggplant parm and it was wonderful cooked just right. Dessert was overwhelming - Kentucky burbon peacon pie and a capachino (it was too good to worry about spelling).

The service was excellent. Our waiter was observant but not in the way. He didn't rush us, yet we didn't have to wait for him to clear off the table or bring the next items. There is no doubt that I will be taking my family there again.

As for their politics, I am a pro-lifer myself so that wasn't a problem. I used to work for Randall Terry and though I don't approve of his extreme methods (or the way he referred to his supporters as minions) but it does't really matter since he dropped out of politics and is focusing on his musical career.

And yet, if your daughter was pregnant and needed to terminate her pregnancy in order to save her own life, the Cortese family would want to prevent her from saving her own heart beat.

I believe my post was in regards to the quality of food and service, not politics.

Guest Guest
Start your own thread, and don't hijack this one!!!

No one is hijacking the thread. The fact that the Cortese family have always been open about their politics, makes their politics relative to this thread.

Just because you may not like someone's comment, does not mean the thread is being "hijacked."

Get a grip.

I highly doubt that Mr. Cortese (or any member of his staff) would be standing at the door of the E.R. stopping it from happening. And if you take your pregnant daughter to Cortese for her abortion, I think you have bigger problems than politics.

Guest Guest
I believe my post was in regards to the quality of food and service, not politics.

So, if Bin Laden owned a restaurant and you enjoyed eating there, that would not be relevant?

Guest Guest
I highly doubt that Mr. Cortese (or any member of his staff) would be standing at the door of the E.R. stopping it from happening. And if you take your pregnant daughter to Cortese for her abortion, I think you have bigger problems than politics.

An idiotic and illogical comment coming from a former Randy supporter. What a surprise. <_<

So, if Bin Laden owned a restaurant and you enjoyed eating there, that would not be relevant?

Personally, no. But not because of his politics. I'm not into Arab food. I happen to like pork and wine and I don't think he would serve it at his restaurant. And I've seen him and I don't think he washes his hands, so that would be another reason not to eat there.

An idiotic and illogical comment coming from a former Randy supporter. What a surprise. <_<

See, now that is showing your ignorance. I was never a Randall Terry supporter. I worked for WJIK when it was in Windsor and had to sort his mail. I was never a supporter or minion. And I was appauled when he publically denounced his homosexual son.

No one is hijacking the thread. The fact that the Cortese family have always been open about their politics, makes their politics relative to this thread.

Just because you may not like someone's comment, does not mean the thread is being "hijacked."

Get a grip.

B.S.

Apparently, you are unfamiliar w/ exactly what hijacking a forum thread means, and the above was/is a classic example.

This thread is NOT about their politics, it's about the restaurant; i.e. food and service.

My post had nothing to do w/ "not liking" the statement.

@

I haven't been at Cortese for a sit-down meal in a while, but we get take-out there fairly often. I know Chris and Colleen Cortese personally, and consider them among the nicest people in the area (no, we don't hang out on weekends ... just casual acquaintances away from their business).

Like other long-time family-owned restaurants (compare their situation with that at Little Venice, for example), many of the employees have been there for many years. Not to be too cliche, but it's like a family. And while I've never spoken with any members of the Cortese staff about their personal finances, I'll go on a ledge and assume some of the long-timers stay because (a) they do all right with income, (B) their employers are decent to them, and © by and large, they're pretty good at a craft most people could never handle (I include myself in that pool, as I waited tables for years while in college).

While waiting tables was a college job for me, I also worked with career waiters and waitresses. I was always impressed with the professionalism most brought to the table (pun intended). Sure, some were flat-out jerks, but you'll get that mixture in any/every profession.

One of my Dad's old stories I remember well was about him, as a young boy, going into Manhattan with his Dad. They went to a "fancy restaurant," and Dad's story revolved around just how impressed he was with the way the waiter always seemed to have a sense about what was next, and what they needed. That kind of service made an impression on him to the point that he was still telling the story decades later. That service set some kind of a bar for him, from which he judged his wait service for the rest of his life. He was never a snob about it (those who knew my Dad would laugh at that prospect), but he kept it in mind.

To the original poster, if you have such a problem with an individual or a perceived practice at Cortese, you could always speak with a member of the Cortese family. Or ... you could go to a different restaurant where the wait staff is ... younger?

Me, I like going there. The place has great history, and I can't help from wondering about "the good ol' days" when the place got started, and Mr. Cortese, his family members and all their friends must have cooked for each other and hung out after long days, like out of a movie.

To each their own.

And for the record, my wife asked me where I'd like to go for dinner Friday (tonight). I picked Cortese (I'll be having chicken alfredo). Probably why I clicked on this thread.

Although I've never eaten there - :)

@

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Guest

They are anti-choice.

I dare anyone to go in there with a t-shirt stating " I had an abortion."

I dare anyone to go into ANY restaurant wearing that t-shirt (OK, except maybe Lost Dog)

Guest Guest
They are anti-choice.

I dare anyone to go in there with a t-shirt stating " I had an abortion."

I dare anyone to go into ANY restaurant wearing that t-shirt (OK, except maybe Lost Dog)

I'd have no problem wearing that shirt. It's legal -- get over it.

Guest Guest
It's legal, but I still doubt that many aborters would have no problem wearing that shirt.

True, there are a lot of crazy anti-choice nuts out there that might physically attack the woman.

Guest Guest

On the other hand, probably lots of pro-abortion people would be buying you drinks, and high-fiving you.

How's this for a t-shirt: "I killed my baby, but it was legal because he hadn't been born yet"

Archived