Cortese Restaurant

Guest Guest

Guest Guest

Has anyone noticed that the entire wait staff is in their 50s... Has anyone had one of these lifers try and take your plate while you're still eating; or possibly had a bottle of wine taken from your table while there is still wine in it... and not just once, BUT EVERY TIME YOU'RE IN THE RESTAURANT.

Here's my thoughts, I'm guessing that the management at Cortese thinks that hiring older people to work in their "fancy" restaurant will result in better quality service that is more pleasing to all patrons, especially older patrons. The thought being that older people have been around longer, have learned how to handle and interact with a wide variety of people with respect and patience.

So shouldn't the wait staff (that has been at Cortese forever) be really polite, know that you should ask customers if they are finished with their food or drink before reaching in and trying to take it, be able to handle their tables when it gets busy, know what is on the menu, and be able to address problems if any arise professionally???

I don't want these people waiting on me, not only because they are rude and unpleasant, but because I have no interest in interacting with people that are arrogant and believe they deserve respect because they have been working at Cortese the longest. Maybe I'm alone here but I don't think working in a restaurant until the age of 50 is anything to brag about, or anything that requires a large amount of respect from customers.

Being a server is a "profession" for teenagers and young adults. It should be used as a stepping stone into another career, or what pays a college students bar tab...

If Cortese would hire some younger and friendlier people to be servers, it might see a lot more satisfied customers, a happier overall staff, and fewer complaints.

PEOPLE GO OUT TO DINNER TO ENJOY THEMSELVES AND THE PEOPLE THEY ARE WITH; NOT TO HAVE MIDDLE-AGED LIFERS WITH AN ATTITUDE RUIN THE AFTERNOON OR NIGHT BECAUSE THEY ARE STILL WAITING TABLES AT THEIR AGE AND STILL CAN'T DO IT RIGHT.

Wake up!

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Guest
Has anyone noticed that the entire wait staff is in their 50s... Has anyone had one of these lifers try and take your plate while you're still eating; or possibly had a bottle of wine taken from your table while there is still wine in it... and not just once, BUT EVERY TIME YOU'RE IN THE RESTAURANT.

Here's my thoughts, I'm guessing that the management at Cortese thinks that hiring older people to work in their "fancy" restaurant will result in better quality service that is more pleasing to all patrons, especially older patrons. The thought being that older people have been around longer, have learned how to handle and interact with a wide variety of people with respect and patience.

So shouldn't the wait staff (that has been at Cortese forever) be really polite, know that you should ask customers if they are finished with their food or drink before reaching in and trying to take it, be able to handle their tables when it gets busy, know what is on the menu, and be able to address problems if any arise professionally???

I don't want these people waiting on me, not only because they are rude and unpleasant, but because I have no interest in interacting with people that are arrogant and believe they deserve respect because they have been working at Cortese the longest. Maybe I'm alone here but I don't think working in a restaurant until the age of 50 is anything to brag about, or anything that requires a large amount of respect from customers.

Being a server is a "profession" for teenagers and young adults. It should be used as a stepping stone into another career, or what pays a college students bar tab...

If Cortese would hire some younger and friendlier people to be servers, it might see a lot more satisfied customers, a happier overall staff, and fewer complaints.

PEOPLE GO OUT TO DINNER TO ENJOY THEMSELVES AND THE PEOPLE THEY ARE WITH; NOT TO HAVE MIDDLE-AGED LIFERS WITH AN ATTITUDE RUIN THE AFTERNOON OR NIGHT BECAUSE THEY ARE STILL WAITING TABLES AT THEIR AGE AND STILL CAN'T DO IT RIGHT.

Wake up!

Now that your judging people .

May I judge , you and Cortese's ? I don't think Cortese will miss a person like you . Seems to me , if the wait staff removed something before you were done with it . you should of addressed it at that point in time . I'm sure they would of made it right .

These oldies , but goldies have been employed there for long periods of time because they make good money and are well taken care of .

I can't imagine firing an employee because they reached a certain age ( that would be discrimination ) .

Sounds to me like , you'd be more happy having big young boobs in your face and eating peanut butter & jelly . Or maybe , you tried to get in someones pants there and couldn't .

Please don't go there anymore !! Then I won't have to wait so long ....... B)

@

Guest Guest

Wake up!

I remember you. You were that really picky jerk giving that waiter a hard time!!!!!!!

Guest Guest

I've had similar experiences there when it's been busy as they've tried to push me out the door.

We seldom go there but for different reasons. I've had poor red sauce there and I don't like their bland, soupy alfredo. We only go there when a group wants to go and this seldom happens as someone usually objects to the owner's public protests.

@

Guest Guest
Now that your judging people .

May I judge , you and Cortese's ? I don't think Cortese will miss a person like you . Seems to me , if the wait staff removed something before you were done with it . you should of addressed it at that point in time . I'm sure they would of made it right .

These oldies , but goldies have been employed there for long periods of time because they make good money and are well taken care of .

I can't imagine firing an employee because they reached a certain age ( that would be discrimination ) .

Sounds to me like , you'd be more happy having big young boobs in your face and eating peanut butter & jelly . Or maybe , you tried to get in someones pants there and couldn't .

Please don't go there anymore !! Then I won't have to wait so long ....... B)

I'm sure Cortese doesn't even know that they are losing or have lost customers, due to their staff.

My earlier post says nothing about ever letting anyone get away with walking away with my unfinished food or wine, only that it happens, ALOT. The act of reaching in and attempting to take anything before asking SHOULD NOT HAPPEN, PERIOD.

"Oldies, but goodies," should be left for Solid Gold Saturday night on the radio, and not our server Saturday night at Cortese. The staff may be old and good, but they're also miserable and rude.

I don't think I mentioned anything about firing people for their age, which is absolutely discrimination; but firing people for incorrectly doing their job... WOULD BE OK...and GREATLY APPRECIATED BY ALL.

And about the BIG YOUNG BOOBS, I have my own to look at, I don't need to go anywhere for a peek! Customers aren't looking for looks, but a personality might help!

Also the phrase "get into someones pants" and the Cortese wait staff, should never be in the same sentence. There is no hidden agenda in these posts, no one at Cortese ever ruined my life, just a lot of lunches and dinners.

UNTIL SOME CHANGES ARE MADE, CORTESE SHOULD BE THANKING GOD THAT SO MANY PEOPLE HAVE MEMORIES OF HOW GOOD CORTESE PIZZA WAS WHEN THEY WERE YOUNGER BECAUSE THAT'S THEIR LOYAL CUSTOMER BASE.

@

Guest Guest

You did state the following : "If Cortese would hire some younger and friendlier people to be servers, it might see a lot more satisfied customers, a happier overall staff, and fewer complaints."

Here's my question ---- How would they hire some younger people and not terminate the older ones ? The statement in it self , is discriminating .

I do go along with the friendlier part of the statement ......

@

Guest Stephen P. Jensen

I haven't been at Cortese for a sit-down meal in a while, but we get take-out there fairly often. I know Chris and Colleen Cortese personally, and consider them among the nicest people in the area (no, we don't hang out on weekends ... just casual acquaintances away from their business).

Like other long-time family-owned restaurants (compare their situation with that at Little Venice, for example), many of the employees have been there for many years. Not to be too cliche, but it's like a family. And while I've never spoken with any members of the Cortese staff about their personal finances, I'll go on a ledge and assume some of the long-timers stay because (a) they do all right with income, (B) their employers are decent to them, and © by and large, they're pretty good at a craft most people could never handle (I include myself in that pool, as I waited tables for years while in college).

While waiting tables was a college job for me, I also worked with career waiters and waitresses. I was always impressed with the professionalism most brought to the table (pun intended). Sure, some were flat-out jerks, but you'll get that mixture in any/every profession.

One of my Dad's old stories I remember well was about him, as a young boy, going into Manhattan with his Dad. They went to a "fancy restaurant," and Dad's story revolved around just how impressed he was with the way the waiter always seemed to have a sense about what was next, and what they needed. That kind of service made an impression on him to the point that he was still telling the story decades later. That service set some kind of a bar for him, from which he judged his wait service for the rest of his life. He was never a snob about it (those who knew my Dad would laugh at that prospect), but he kept it in mind.

To the original poster, if you have such a problem with an individual or a perceived practice at Cortese, you could always speak with a member of the Cortese family. Or ... you could go to a different restaurant where the wait staff is ... younger?

Me, I like going there. The place has great history, and I can't help from wondering about "the good ol' days" when the place got started, and Mr. Cortese, his family members and all their friends must have cooked for each other and hung out after long days, like out of a movie.

To each their own.

And for the record, my wife asked me where I'd like to go for dinner Friday (tonight). I picked Cortese (I'll be having chicken alfredo). Probably why I clicked on this thread.

Wake up!

You must be that guy that was DELETED. How did that old waitstaff catch you?

Guest Guest

Wait staff or not, people should know the cortese politics and be able to choose if they want to patronize them.. Cortese gives boatloads of money to Randall Terry, Operation Rescue and Pro life causes.

I'll never give them a dime again, even though their food is the best in the area

Guest Guest

That's even MORE reason to go there. What they do with the profits from their hard work is none of our business. Vut since you posted it, I think I'll take my wife there this weekend.

NY strip milanese for me - broiled scallops for the wife. Don't even need a menu.

Guest Guest
Wait staff or not, people should know the cortese politics and be able to choose if they want to patronize them.. Cortese gives boatloads of money to Randall Terry, Operation Rescue and Pro life causes.

I'll never give them a dime again, even though their food is the best in the area

They won't miss you at all ........

Guest Guest

What the company principles does with the money does matter. That's why some people won't invest in certain stocks or portfolios. If a business was supporting some kind of a terrorist organization or pitching for an autocratic regeime you wouldn't think twice about going there. Good for them in being active in what they believe in. However, since I don't agree with their position I won't support their restaurant in any way. Maybe they'll miss the business and maybe not. I don't really care since there are other fine, if not better, restaurants around town where I regularly spend my money.

Guest Informer

It is for this reason alone that I will never patronize this business.

Guest Guest
What the company principles does with the money does matter. That's why some people won't invest in certain stocks or portfolios. If a business was supporting some kind of a terrorist organization or pitching for an autocratic regeime you wouldn't think twice about going there. Good for them in being active in what they believe in. However, since I don't agree with their position I won't support their restaurant in any way. Maybe they'll miss the business and maybe not. I don't really care since there are other fine, if not better, restaurants around town where I regularly spend my money.

It appears that your opinion may have an attempt to persuade people from dining at Cortese . I think we were looking for matters that related to the service and not what they do with their profits . It doesn't change the taste of the food or the service none . It might matter to you and I'm fine with the fact you won't be dining there . Bye-Bye Now !!!

I get that you don't agree with their politics. I really do. You were clear.

I simply don't see why it's germane to this particular conversation, which centered on the wait staff at Cortese.

I could see it if you, or someone else, had started a thread about the family's politics ... but ... you didn't.

Guest Guest

Never had a problem there, never felt like i was being pushed out the door, food is always good. Best pizza in the area, best salad dressing in the area... damn, now I'm hungry..

Guest Lonesome Cowboy Burt

Cortese has always provided myself and my family with excellent service and great food. The original poster obviously has some axe to grind. His/her reasoning skills sound like those of someone who may or may not have been institutionalized at some point in their life. The wait staff has always been nothing less than professional. Nothing against teenagers, but they are not known en masse for their sparkling work ethic or friendly demeanor.

The thought of "teenage wait staff" at Cortese is completely ridiculous.

Blah, blah, blah. It's all about personal preferences. I happen to like Cortese but other people may not. If you have a problem with the wait staff not being teenagers, go to that Aeropostale store in the mall and spend time with the teenage help there. Then see how eager you are to spend time with them.

Guest Dave Grate

That's a great reason for me to go there. I think I'll take my wife and daughter there this weekend.

And, for the OP, maybe they took your wine away because you were being a jerk. Next time, maybe you should order just a glass instead of a whole bottle just for yourself.

Guest Guest
That's even MORE reason to go there. What they do with the profits from their hard work is none of our business. Vut since you posted it, I think I'll take my wife there this weekend.

NY strip milanese for me - broiled scallops for the wife. Don't even need a menu.

I have no problem with you going there. and if the Cortese want to turn their profit into funding for abortion doctor killers, that's there business too.

I just said i can't be a part of that, and want people to know that they do that. your money you spend on your meal at Cortese helps fund fundamentalist right wing whackos

consider it a public service announcement

Archived