Arrested SCC Principal Mugshot

Guest Trump

so she STOLE groceries at LEAST 3 times...the excuse that she forgot is a bunch of malarkey!!!!! seriously? if she was paying cash she didnt wonder at LEAST 3 times why she had an extra hundred or two in her wallet? and if she is going to TRY and say she used credit is she going to say that she didnt see on her statements that there were no charges from wegmans? COME ON PEOPLE! this is ridiculous! this woman is a LYING THIEF...the broome county government is so frickin' CORRUPT it is unbelieveable! she needs to be fired and tried in a court of law...DELETED---this is total DELETED!!

• Replies 807
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest concerned

"scholarship, leadership, service, character, and citizenship - values of the National Honor Society - how does she preside over induction ceremonies?

"Steal that ball, steal that food, steal that ball" - new cheer for opponents of SCCHS - how does she attend games?

"faculty, you must abide by the following rules..." - how does she manage the faculty?

Off with her head! We are all perfect and she deserves to die since she is not like us!

I think the issue is not that we are all perfect, but that we all expect EVERYONE to be held accountable for their actions and not be able to sweep things under the rug just based on who we are or who we know.

Based on her own explanation of what happened, she should resign. Period. THREE TIMES IN LESS THAN ONE MONTH? Seriously, if this was Joe Plumber trying to feed his kids there wouldn't even be a discussion about whether or not we should just accept the fact that he was "stressed."

I think the issue is not that we are all perfect, but that we all expect EVERYONE to be held accountable for their actions and not be able to sweep things under the rug just based on who we are or who we know.

Based on her own explanation of what happened, she should resign. Period. THREE TIMES IN LESS THAN ONE MONTH? Seriously, if this was Joe Plumber trying to feed his kids there wouldn't even be a discussion about whether or not we should just accept the fact that he was "stressed."

I'm sure you know all the facts from all sides and can therefore make the informed decision that she needs to resign. And don't just send a letter to the school or diocese. Make sure you publicly humiliate her. After all, that's the Christian thing to do.

Maybe you can replace her with a Nun?

Nun charged in $1.2M Iona College embezzlement

NEW YORK — The nun who was Iona College's top

financial officer has been formally charged with

embezzling $1.2 million over the past decade,

federal prosecutors announced Thursday night.

Marie E. Thornton is accused of diverting money

from the college for her personal use by using false

vendor invoices and submitting credit card bills for

personal expenses to be paid by Iona, the U.S.

Attorney's Office said.

When I first read about this incident I was pretty indignant. Not because of what she did, that is a low offense, but because of where she works, the duty she has to be a good example to the kids, etc.

Then I considered if I thought is possible, if my wife were taking care of someone who was very close to her and sick with cancer, that someone could be so tired, stressed, etc. that they could forget to pay for a cart of groceries. I think it is totally possible. Do I think it is possible that it could happen more than once over a week or two? Possible. Three times is reaching the limit of probability but, again, a person under extreme emotional stress can be incredibly forgetful. I wouldn't get too worked up about it if I could confirm the facts as she presented them.

Now, let's assume that she knew exactly what she was doing. There are many emotional and psychological conditions that can lead to compulsive behavior such as shoplifting. Times of great emotional stress, such as that caused by the serious illness of someone close to you, can cause the compulsive behavior to exhibit itself. The behavior is self destructive, unneccesary, and outside of the control of the person experiencing it. It doesn't make her an evil person, or even a bad one.

Frankly, I think both of these are more likely than: a well-respected (I assume, I don't know her)person, with a successful career, making good money, with no prior criminal history-- suddenly thinks that it would be worth the risk of throwing it all away for the price of a couple carts of groceries. Especially when you throw in the embarassment to her and her family, loss of prestige, loss of income, loss of freedom. I just don't see it. A healthy, normal, adult does not risk all she has for a few hundred dollars.

I'm sure you know all the facts from all sides and can therefore make the informed decision that she needs to resign. And don't just send a letter to the school or diocese. Make sure you publicly humiliate her. After all, that's the Christian thing to do.

Maybe you can replace her with a Nun?

Nun charged in $1.2M Iona College embezzlement

NEW YORK — The nun who was Iona College's top

financial officer has been formally charged with

embezzling $1.2 million over the past decade,

federal prosecutors announced Thursday night.

Marie E. Thornton is accused of diverting money

from the college for her personal use by using false

vendor invoices and submitting credit card bills for

personal expenses to be paid by Iona, the U.S.

Attorney's Office said.

I based my decision on HER words in her letter -- nothing else.

As far as publicly humiliating her - crimes are normally public record. Our paper publishes crimes (albeit selectively based on what I have seen). It also publishes people's bankruptcies, information regarding what house someone bought and how much they paid for it, etc. I can guarantee you that if I had walked out of a store THREE times without paying, I would have lost my job if the information was subsequently found out by my employer. And my job is not one that involves leadership of children.

I don't understand what your point is about "replacing her" with a nun. The nun should be held accountable for her actions, too.

Why don't we just tell kids today that they do not need to be held accountable for their actions, as long as they hold a high position and are under some amount of stress.

When I first read about this incident I was pretty indignant. Not because of what she did, that is a low offense, but because of where she works, the duty she has to be a good example to the kids, etc.

Then I considered if I thought is possible, if my wife were taking care of someone who was very close to her and sick with cancer, that someone could be so tired, stressed, etc. that they could forget to pay for a cart of groceries. I think it is totally possible. Do I think it is possible that it could happen more than once over a week or two? Possible. Three times is reaching the limit of probability but, again, a person under extreme emotional stress can be incredibly forgetful. I wouldn't get too worked up about it if I could confirm the facts as she presented them.

Now, let's assume that she knew exactly what she was doing. There are many emotional and psychological conditions that can lead to compulsive behavior such as shoplifting. Times of great emotional stress, such as that caused by the serious illness of someone close to you, can cause the compulsive behavior to exhibit itself. The behavior is self destructive, unneccesary, and outside of the control of the person experiencing it. It doesn't make her an evil person, or even a bad one.

Frankly, I think both of these are more likely than: a well-respected (I assume, I don't know her)person, with a successful career, making good money, with no prior criminal history-- suddenly thinks that it would be worth the risk of throwing it all away for the price of a couple carts of groceries. Especially when you throw in the embarassment to her and her family, loss of prestige, loss of income, loss of freedom. I just don't see it. A healthy, normal, adult does not risk all she has for a few hundred dollars.

"Incredibly forgetful?" Are you serious? Loading food into a car WITHOUT ANY OF THEM BEING BAGGED, unloading them out of the car WITHOUT ANY OF THEM BEING BAGGED, then repeat that two more times. Ummm....that is a tad more than being "incredibly forgetful." If that is the case, the person not only should not be heading a school but not even driving a car!!!

I based my decision on HER words in her letter -- nothing else.

As far as publicly humiliating her - crimes are normally public record. Our paper publishes crimes (albeit selectively based on what I have seen). It also publishes people's bankruptcies, information regarding what house someone bought and how much they paid for it, etc. I can guarantee you that if I had walked out of a store THREE times without paying, I would have lost my job if the information was subsequently found out by my employer. And my job is not one that involves leadership of children.

I don't understand what your point is about "replacing her" with a nun. The nun should be held accountable for her actions, too.

Why don't we just tell kids today that they do not need to be held accountable for their actions, as long as they hold a high position and are under some amount of stress.

So you base your decision on her words in her letter -- and nothing else. Wow. Sure - it's the papers job to report public information. Is it your job to publicly humiliate her?

Let's teach our kids that they are responsible for every action that they take, no matter what the circumstances and their actions will never be forgiven because if you make a mistake in life you be placed the public square so others can stone you. And then your should be fired from whatever position you hold in life and will become a public outcast. That's what Jesus teaches us?

"Incredibly forgetful?" Are you serious? Loading food into a car WITHOUT ANY OF THEM BEING BAGGED, unloading them out of the car WITHOUT ANY OF THEM BEING BAGGED, then repeat that two more times. Ummm....that is a tad more than being "incredibly forgetful." If that is the case, the person not only should not be heading a school but not even driving a car!!!

Where does it say they weren't bagged?

It's amazing to learn, day after day, how many different stresses people all arund us are dealing with and managing to go through their daily routines without stealing food from a grocery store.

I have been at Wegman's feeling stress over one thing or another and have received phone calls. Not once have I ever "forgotten" to take my things through the chekout area.

And think about this for a second - have you been to Wegman's? There are 7,032 checkout lanes that line - and block any normal traffic - from simply leaving the store without paying. A patron would have to make a conscious effort to circumvent that area. You'd have to literally work to avoid them, as they are at the end of almost every aisle of products, to the left of the bakery.

Let's give this woman an incredible leap of a benefit of the doubt on the time she was caught. But then you're left with the OTHER two times she does not deny she did this same act (no denial - just that she does not remember, given her the out that she is under significant duress).

Does someone reading this actually believe that before these three events, she NEVER committed theft at this, or any other store? If you believe that, you're naive.

People steal for a few reasons. They steal because they cannot afford to eat or feed a family. That she is in a position of what we could reasonably assume has a very good salary, especially in relative terms to the Broome County area, it's safe to say she could have afforded to buy food for herself.

The other major reason is for the thrill. Even if it's a simple feeling boost once the deed is done and she had "gotten away with it."

She did it before these publicized events, and if she had not been caught, she would have done it again. At Wegman's, or another business.

My question about all this - if she is under such stress to have completely lost sight of illegal vs. legal, you have to wonder if she has ever had access to cash or items at her school district where she may have had opportunity to take those things or ... money, too.

You'd have to assume she had the pre-purchased bags and simply loaded the groceries into those bags as she shopped. If I were shopping near her, I'd have looked at that suspiciously, but more people probably wouldn't pay enough attention to even notice such a thing.

I have to give you that one. It would be pretty unusual to load your car an item at a time.

Regardless, my life is full enough without worrying about one woman shoplifting.

You'd have to assume she had the pre-purchased bags and simply loaded the groceries into those bags as she shopped. If I were shopping near her, I'd have looked at that suspiciously, but more people probably wouldn't pay enough attention to even notice such a thing.

Yep.

Guest uncle Festus

The public is so fickle (inconsistent or undetermined), that all she has to do is "stonewall" for a few days and that will be the end of it. And that's the truth!

uncle Festus

Don't you like the way WBNG only reported the incident once at 11pm's news cast last night. Not only reporting it once at 11pm but burying it and not reporting on it this morning. Candice Chapman didn't breath a word of it last night.

Gee I've seen WBNG go after John Cordisco about garbage bags over the course of two days! Hows that for reporting?

WBNG at it's best and first not reporting! :lol:

Not reading all 18 pages but I feel she's lying and thinks the letter will make it "all better'.

Her 'excuse'does'nt hold water as she was caught twice before. Obviously she's looking to protect

her job right now but I feel she should resign he position in disgrace. This is my honest opionion.

Guest former AP English student

Elements of a Greek tragedy- a flawed hero - perhaps displaying hubris, arrogance or superiority, not exactly either a wonderful or awful person but generally well-regarded, who perhaps makes a stupid mistake (hamartia). The hero doesn't have to die but only obtain some self-knowledge or understanding, perhaps empathy for other people. They do need to undergo a change in their status, a transformation of some kind.

If Miss Dwyer was anyone else there would be charges pressed and held. How can you forget a load of groceries, are you that dense??? Her excuse doesn't hold water in my opinion. What a shame there is no fairness in who you are or what you do. She should not be in charge of a High School, she should resign!!

Amazing how almost all the people who say she should resign and say other hateful things about her publicly do so anonymously.

Okay would you please post your name, address, and telephone number so we can contact you directly? Thanks.

Archived