AAU Basketball

BaldEagle

Guest Guest

I truly don't understand this anger toward Tony Lindsey.

My son plays Rage (he's not coached by TL) and he loves it. He has made many friends from other schools through Rage and he also has friends who play for the Rockets. He has played with some of those kids in other tournaments at different times throughout the year.

The Rockets are a strong program, as is the Rage. Depending on the different age brackets, one team may be better than another, year to year.

The biggest difference between the two seems to be (trying to remain objective) that the Rockets hand-pick kids. In fact, numerous kids who now play for TC Rockets teams previously played for the Rage teams. The birth of the TC Rockets and their recruitment of players from Rage and elsewhere was a good thing for area basketball, in my opinion, as it increased the number of kids who play at a pretty high level of competition. At the upper ages for Rage, they are more hand-picked too, but for the younger teams, there are tryouts where hundreds of kids come and try to make teams.

There are also other area teams that have formed more recently to play in AAU. There's the Flyers, which seems to be a team of M-E (and maybe Endicott?) kids and then you also now have the TC Hawks, which looks like a Tioga County group with many kids from Owego, Newark Valley and maybe a few other schools represented.

It all bodes well for area basketball.

The Rockets play a shorter schedule that ends earlier because of baseball. Most Rocket players are multi-sport and Rage doesn't fit their schedule. It is comical to have this made up rivalry.

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest AAU Fan

meant the coaches cant be bothered. unless someone can show otherwise, dont believe any school coaches from Bing or Vestal coach girls aau locally. I think Lemon did when she was at ME but no need now.

Guest Guest

meant the coaches cant be bothered. unless someone can show otherwise, dont believe any school coaches from Bing or Vestal coach girls aau locally. I think Lemon did when she was at ME but no need now.

Probably right about Vestal coaches. The only Coaches in Vestal that I know of that get involved outside the school are the field hockey ones. They are working very hard to build a good program.

Guest Guest

First of all TL has his own home. And I believe we were on the subject of basketball, so let's be a little more mature. Now back to it all. I would say Rage and TC Rockets are pretty even. Rage has much better big men, while Rockets guards are arguably better. Personally I'd take Williams over Krowiak, Gallagher over Wisnewski, and Sinicki over Lavo or whoever else plays for TC that's a guard. ( Thats comparing positions) Just my unbiased opinion.

So where are the Rockets and Rage playing this weekend? Will they get a chance to play and settle who is the best?

Rockets and Rage will be at the Syracuse Select tourney.

Idiots seem to think if they play one game, it's "settled," like a Sharks vs. Jets West Side Story rumble. It's hysterical.

Randomly ... Dave Springer's daughter(s) play in the M-E district, correct? They are very young, as I recall. So why wouldn't he be involved?

One Flyers team last year was all M-E boys (maybe a 6th-grade team). Their coach was not the varsity coach.

Those saying Flyers girls teams are comprised of players from several districts are correct.

Guest Guest

Idiots seem to think if they play one game, it's "settled," like a Sharks vs. Jets West Side Story rumble. It's hysterical.

Randomly ... Dave Springer's daughter(s) play in the M-E district, correct? They are very young, as I recall. So why wouldn't he be involved?

One Flyers team last year was all M-E boys (maybe a 6th-grade team). Their coach was not the varsity coach.

Those saying Flyers girls teams are comprised of players from several districts are correct.

All of the Flyers Boys teams are coached by the ME varsity coach. They have 4 teams playing (6th/7th/9th/11th)and every player goes to maine endwell. He doesnt let anyone from other districts play on his teams.

Guest Guest

Here is the link to the Syracuse tournament. Don't see either team entered.

http://www.syracuseselect.com/March_Madness_2011.php

There are several Rage teams playing in Syracuse. And the younger Rockets teams will be there, too.

Last year, the M-E varsity coach didn't coach the 6th-grade team. That's all I said previously.

Guest Guest

Should be a "short" trip..

Should be a fun trip actually moron. Celtics game tonight and getting to play some great teams. Sorry your kid isn't good enough to play on that team..

Guest Guest

Should be a "short" trip..

Even if Tony's team loses every game in Boston, the experience he is giving those kids is invaluable. You are only as good as your competition. Tony is showing these kids what it takes to play at a top level and it will be up these kids to work to get better or decide they just will be a recreational player. If they only played locally they would live in a fantasy world thinking they were great and have their bubble popped later (like the school teams). I would imagine a lot of scouts will be there so if any of his players show potential they will be on someones radar.

Guest gUEST

We get it... He's not very tall... and you're not funny or creative, thanks for the update.

I guess it was a "short" trip, Lindsey got creamed!

Guest Guest

I guess it was a "short" trip, Lindsey got creamed!

Well I see why people don't like him and all because he's a stubborn little guy, rude, and favors certain players terribly. But unlike most people on here, I also see positive things he's done. He's made average players into fantastic players. He also has the best AAU program all around wether you like it or not. He hosts a 140+ team tournamet which may even put the Bighamton area on the map for basketball. Once again, this guy has put in major amounts of effort into establishing a good program, and making kids love the game.... His 9th grade team plays in New Jersey this week by the way. Goodluck to them.

Guest Guest

Well I see why people don't like him and all because he's a stubborn little guy, rude, and favors certain players terribly. But unlike most people on here, I also see positive things he's done. He's made average players into fantastic players. He also has the best AAU program all around wether you like it or not. He hosts a 140+ team tournamet which may even put the Bighamton area on the map for basketball. Once again, this guy has put in major amounts of effort into establishing a good program, and making kids love the game.... His 9th grade team plays in New Jersey this week by the way. Goodluck to them.

Attended my first AAu tourney up in Sidney this weekend, could not believe the lack of fouls,traveling, or 3 seconds

that was called. Very poor job by what I heard were high school refs (STAC ??). Most had beer guts and never blew their whistles. Dont recommend this type of streetball to anybody. It wasn't basketball.

Guest guest

Attended my first AAu tourney up in Sidney this weekend, could not believe the lack of fouls,traveling, or 3 seconds

that was called. Very poor job by what I heard were high school refs (STAC ??). Most had beer guts and never blew their whistles. Dont recommend this type of streetball to anybody. It wasn't basketball.

And Lindsey still lost.

Guest Guest

One can not lose in AAU. The point is to play better competition and improve in the off season. I am sorry your kid got cut. Maybe next year. No, probably not.

Guest Guest

One can not lose in AAU. The point is to play better competition and improve in the off season. I am sorry your kid got cut. Maybe next year. No, probably not.

to quote one the best basketball coaches ever: "all you learn from losing is how to lose".

Guest Guest

And Lindsey still lost.

the Rage "travel" teams do not go to Sidney because their is no point in them going to these small tournaments and beating up on school teams. After taking his 17U team to Boston last week he had his 15U team in New Jersey this week. Keep making stupid comments all you want about him being short but he does do a lot for basketball in the area and makes sure his teams play the best competition he can find.

also AAU games are officiated differently then regular games and this is usually due to tournament directors asking the officials to keep the games moving along due to the tight schedules. This is no excuse for the lack of travels or 3 second calls(and you rarely see these in HS games anymore) but the games are much more physical. Personally I believe this is also another way to prepare your players. If you can handle the ball and score while absorbing more contact the game becomes that much easier when you go back to the more tightly officiated HS games.

Guest guest

the Rage "travel" teams do not go to Sidney because their is no point in them going to these small tournaments and beating up on school teams. After taking his 17U team to Boston last week he had his 15U team in New Jersey this week. Keep making stupid comments all you want about him being short but he does do a lot for basketball in the area and makes sure his teams play the best competition he can find.

also AAU games are officiated differently then regular games and this is usually due to tournament directors asking the officials to keep the games moving along due to the tight schedules. This is no excuse for the lack of travels or 3 second calls(and you rarely see these in HS games anymore) but the games are much more physical. Personally I believe this is also another way to prepare your players. If you can handle the ball and score while absorbing more contact the game becomes that much easier when you go back to the more tightly officiated HS games.

Thanks Tony, You're still a jerk.

Archived