2011 STAC Boys Soccer

DarkManX14

• Replies 583
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest soccerfan2

Class AA: Hicksville 1, Webster Schroeder 0

Hicksville's Lucas Munoz scored with 25:42 remaining in the second half to lead the Comets to their first state title since 1979.

Hicksville, the Section 8 champion, finished 18-1-2.

Webster Schroeder (20-2-1, Section 5) had defeated Newburgh Free Academy in Saturday's semifinal round, 3-1.

Class A: Jericho 2, Maine-Endwell 0

Jericho defeated Maine-Endwell to win the Class A championship. It was the first state title for Jericho (16-2-2, Section 8) since 2004 when it played to a 1-1 draw against New Hartford and the teams were named co-champions.

Section 4's Maine-Endwell wrapped up at 12-4-1.

Guest STAC Coach

Congratulations to the ME boys on a great season. You far surpassed everyone's expectations with pure grit and determination. ME has had many teams the past few years that were much more talented then this years bunch. This years bunch though came together as one and proved that teamwork will always prevail over individual efforts.

Congrats to AD Cook for having the smarts to hire Coach Riley. The kids responded to him, something past teams did not do for the past coach. Now if you could just clean up a girls side loaded with talent but without a competent leader.

Congratulations to the ME boys on a great season. You far surpassed everyone's expectations with pure grit and determination. ME has had many teams the past few years that were much more talented then this years bunch. This years bunch though came together as one and proved that teamwork will always prevail over individual efforts.

Congrats to AD Cook for having the smarts to hire Coach Riley. The kids responded to him, something past teams did not do for the past coach. Now if you could just clean up a girls side loaded with talent but without a competent leader.

Congrats to the Coach and AD for failing to instill any sportsmanship on the team. Nice to see they fielded an illegal player for a game because they can't read a rulebook. Double Red Card means a three game suspension, still waiting for the player to miss that third game. Don't worry though you guys won more because you had him, good point to prove

Guest Sore Loser

Congrats to the Coach and AD for failing to instill any sportsmanship on the team. Nice to see they fielded an illegal player for a game because they can't read a rulebook. Double Red Card means a three game suspension, still waiting for the player to miss that third game. Don't worry though you guys won more because you had him, good point to prove

HAHAHAHAHA There is always next year.

so what was m-e final record? paper says 12-4-1, but that can't be right because they tied twice in state playoffs but advanced on pks

losses to vestal twice, ithaca, elmira, jericho

ties verses brighton and lakeland

wins vs bingo twice, elmira once, corning twice, horseheads twice, johnson city, u-e twice

i think that makes them 10-5-2

so what was m-e final record? paper says 12-4-1, but that can't be right because they tied twice in state playoffs but advanced on pks

wins vs bingo twice, elmira once, corning twice, horseheads twice, johnson city, u-e twice

Wait you expect the Binghamton Press to know how to keep stats LOL. The M-E teams final record is 10-5-2, the only win they are credited with post season was over JC. They were 9-4 regular season with one no contest vs Ithaca; the win over JC in Sectionals made them 10-4. Two ties in regionals and state semis moves them to 10-4-2 and the loss in the final makes it 10-5-2.

It's how Vestal can end the season 17-0-1 pk losses and wins are all counted as ties in soccer. PKs are only used to decide who advances not to decide the game result.

As for calling the guy who pointed out the issue with the red cards and M-E a sore loser, actually it has been a huge question for quite some time and Section 4/NYSPHSAA is actually investigating what went on at the request of the Referees Board. I would not be surprised to hear in the future that M-E is forced to forfeit the game vs Horseheads where the potential ineligible player incident occurred. It will not effect the rest of their results but it is something that was not handled properly by how the rules are written.

Guest soccerfan2

Kinda hard to believe Brighton was the toughest opponent this year given 4 losses before States, to quote the coach. I am sure it goes with the 3 best goals the coach has seen in High School soccer and it was his view during the hype of the tie and advancing to the finals.

Guest soccerfan2

I think the coach did a reasonable job helping to instill teamwork in the boys. Getting that far is pretty impressive even though it does take a bit of luck when you get to Sectionals, which ME did get. But good for them.

Guest Go On United

As much as I hate Maine-Endwell, they did a very impressive job this year. They took a team that wasn't all that great and did what everybody likes to see: came together and won. REGARDLESS of how you feel about them, they deserve props for this run. We can say all we want about their play(pack the box and for god sakes get it to Adam), or their players (at times out of control and lacking class), or their coach ("inexperienced" and a cocky upstart), but none of it matters. They won, and they won when it mattered. Nice job and good luck next year. Oh and class A is still a joke.

Either way, they got it done when it needed doing. I'll be the first to say that their style of play is amature and childish, but it got them to pk's, a place where luck (and alleged "pk practice since the first day") could prevail. The play is boring and basic, but it worked. Can't argue with results, even if i disagree with the methods

They were going to be good this year no matter who coached them. They returned a ton of star potential players from 2010.

I don't perceive their play as "pack the box", at least not to the extent of other teams (Elmira comes to mind-Seton Catholic is another). I also would not characterize their play as childish. They were flat out dirty, at many points in time this season. Watch their films. They got after players way after the play, and often clipped ankles, hip checked, used their hands, arms, etc. They were willing, and seemingly taught, how to get away with anything possible.

But you are correct, it worked. Especially against younger, smaller, slower, and less physical teams. The only "good" win of the fall was against UE. Watching UE play though, I bet they also bit into the game plan and responded with either too much physicality (resulting in cards-so changing game play), or they backed off, so losing the 50-50 ball battle. I did not see either game, so it is purely speculation.

But to say that Brighton was the best team all year, when they tied-wow! Didn't they lose 6-0 to Vestal?

Again, they deserve credit to find a way to get the job done to make it where they were. My question is-can the players and coach look themselves in the mirror and say they played with class, integrity, and respect for their opponents?

Best wishes next year. Unless Vestal really becomes an A, ME could run the section IV table again. Though graduating a couple of strong players (Kozecke and Hostrander), they return a majority of their team, including Swartz, who may be a top 10 player in the conference next fall.

They were going to be good this year no matter who coached them. They returned a ton of star potential players from 2010.

I don't perceive their play as "pack the box", at least not to the extent of other teams (Elmira comes to mind-Seton Catholic is another). I also would not characterize their play as childish. They were flat out dirty, at many points in time this season. Watch their films. They got after players way after the play, and often clipped ankles, hip checked, used their hands, arms, etc. They were willing, and seemingly taught, how to get away with anything possible.

But you are correct, it worked. Especially against younger, smaller, slower, and less physical teams. The only "good" win of the fall was against UE. Watching UE play though, I bet they also bit into the game plan and responded with either too much physicality (resulting in cards-so changing game play), or they backed off, so losing the 50-50 ball battle. I did not see either game, so it is purely speculation.

But to say that Brighton was the best team all year, when they tied-wow! Didn't they lose 6-0 to Vestal?

Again, they deserve credit to find a way to get the job done to make it where they were. My question is-can the players and coach look themselves in the mirror and say they played with class, integrity, and respect for their opponents?

Best wishes next year. Unless Vestal really becomes an A, ME could run the section IV table again. Though graduating a couple of strong players (Kozecke and Hostrander), they return a majority of their team, including Swartz, who may be a top 10 player in the conference next fall.

One of the best posts ever on the thread, I am in almost total agreement with what you said. I posted early on about M-E after watching the cheap shots in their scrimmage against SV, I was shocked to see the coach basically encouraging the style of play that was going on. I have no problem with physical play, but cheap shots when the ball is gone and tackles with intent to injure have no place in the game, thats what I saw quite a few of. Its quite odd the coach makes his living teaching soccer "footskills" and his team played with very little emphasis on that and more on physical play.

You are so arrogant and stupid. You have no idea how the M E coach coaches so stop saying you do. And the fact that you think his work of teaching kids to become better soccer players is weird then your probably just jelious that he is enjoying what he's doing most and making a living off it. The truth if that he's probably making more than you so just stop talking. BCvoice doesn't need low lifers like you to talk about other people when you know they can't say it to someone elses face. Grow up

You are so arrogant and stupid. You have no idea how the M E coach coaches so stop saying you do. And the fact that you think his work of teaching kids to become better soccer players is weird then your probably just jelious that he is enjoying what he's doing most and making a living off it. The truth if that he's probably making more than you so just stop talking. BCvoice doesn't need low lifers like you to talk about other people when you know they can't say it to someone elses face. Grow up

What the hell are you talking about? It was obvious how Riley coached his M-E to play this year and it wasn't with skill anyone could see that. No one said it was weird that he coached kids footskills, the statement said why would a guy who had that as a job not coach his HS team to play with skill. Take some time and work on your reading comprehension and spelling skills young man, no one was jealous they were just making some very valid points.

I'm not a supporter of M-E, but this post is mostly inaccurate. I think it's apparent that you're not quite sure what you're talking about.

I wouldn't say that M-E is "dirty". They are undisciplined and immature, but not dirty in my opinion. One of your examples of dirty was "hip-checking". That's actually legal in soccer. So is use of the shoulders. I've seen the Shepard kid do this cleanly VERY well. He's a big kid, why not use his body? I would also seriously doubt the coach would teach these tactics. As a matter of fact, I would doubt ANY coach in the area would teach those tactics.

Your talk of tactics is also way off. I've seen M-E, Seton, and Elmira play a few times this season. M-E's defense is certainly content with playing the ball away, upfield immediately rather than building the attack, but that's high school soccer. Elmira doesn't "pack it in" either. They play a flat back four and their gameplan seems to be more of a counter-attacking style rather than strictly defensive. Seton just isn't a quality team so they have been pinned in during many matches this season. It may appear that they pack the box.

Regardless, as immature and undisciplined as M-E was to watch this season, they made a great run and it should not be taken away from those kids. They put it together at the right time and it seems they did it as a team. Class A is a cake walk in Section IV now. Ironically, it used to be pretty good regardless of how few teams were in the section. M-E has always been decent, Owego was a bit down this season but is always there in the end, EFA (now Elmira) was a terror in the Section IV tournament, and JC has won the division on a number of occasions and finished ranked in the state often.

just noticed something ironic and maybe a bit scary for m-e. the three most successful programs and/or coaches in STAC have been vestal, ithaca, and elmira. m-e went 1-4 vs. those teams this season and it may have been 1-5 if they had to play ithaca a second time.

STAC SOCCER IS WEAK AND HAS BEEN WEAK FOR 5+ YEARS NOW!! GET OVER IT.. As far as the Riley bashing get over that too. He was/is a great player and will be a great coach. Of course he will have some issues his first few years coaching as would anyone. The guy was raised by one of the best coaches this area has ever seen (his father.) Give it some time.. Again, anyway you want to whine about it M-E did go to the State Championship with Riley as a first year coach. No Krise would not have been able to get that team there, nor would most of the coaches in this area.

STAC SOCCER IS WEAK AND HAS BEEN WEAK FOR 5+ YEARS NOW!! GET OVER IT.. As far as the Riley bashing get over that too. He was/is a great player and will be a great coach. Of course he will have some issues his first few years coaching as would anyone. The guy was raised by one of the best coaches this area has ever seen (his father.) Give it some time.. Again, anyway you want to whine about it M-E did go to the State Championship with Riley as a first year coach. No Krise would not have been able to get that team there, nor would most of the coaches in this area.

Good Post - Give the kid some props. He accomplished something that many tenured local coaches have been unable to.

BTW - I'm from SV .

Certainly not bashing Riley. He had a great season and did much more than Krise would have done, or many other coaches for that matter. I think his handling of players could have been a bit better, but the results were there. He's probably put his name with some of the best coaches in the section with this season alone being that it was such a great turnaround from where M-E has been.

Certainly not bashing Riley. He had a great season and did much more than Krise would have done, or many other coaches for that matter. I think his handling of players could have been a bit better, but the results were there. He's probably put his name with some of the best coaches in the section with this season alone being that it was such a great turnaround from where M-E has been.

AGREE - previous post was in response to the bashers. If you've played and or coached the Sport - you know that some kids are wound a little tighter than others. Consequently, you will often get a more aggressive kid or two (not dirty as some would say) that will stand out and often times the team will take on that "persona". I've also seen teams take on the persona of the coach. It happens. Seems to have served ths team fairly well this season.

I hadn't actually seen anyone "bashing" Coach Riley.

Yes "hip checking" aka shielding is a legal move. However, the point is that ME's bigger/stronger players would throw hips into players well before the ball was played in, or after the ball had left, to players getting ready to run, very dangerous, and YES, a dirty tactic.

Do I believe it was coached-I'm not sure, and should not speculate. But I can say that it was not discouraged.

I agree with the post that referred to them as undisciplined. Any team that gets three red cards in one match would be easily characterized as that-especially since they won that match.

Still-you are giving credit to a coach that came in late to take over a team that was already established. Yeah, maybe Coach Krise wouldn't have had them in the state finals, but he would have certainly won section IV. Class A was overall depleted this fall in Section IV.

just noticed something ironic and maybe a bit scary for m-e. the three most successful programs and/or coaches in STAC have been vestal, ithaca, and elmira. m-e went 1-4 vs. those teams this season and it may have been 1-5 if they had to play ithaca a second time.

yes, thats why Vestal, Ithaca and Elmira are the three most successful programs in STAC and if m-e played Ithaca twice it could have easily been 2-4 or 1-5 since the first game was close and could have gone either way

Archived