2011 STAC Boys Soccer

DarkManX14

http://binghamton.yn...er-title-in-ot/

This is the link obviously he was behind the last defender

Tough to tell where he was on the kick but it is obvious the linesman had called it offside. Have to think he had the best view of the whole thing, not sure what the center would have seen to overrule it. I'll have to agree that is a harsh end to a season

• Replies 583
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That is true...Vestal either has become complacent, or the rest of the league caught up. They didn't play too hot against Horseheads in the semi finals either. Best of luck to all section IV teams in the playoffs.

Tough to tell where he was on the kick but it is obvious the linesman had called it offside. Have to think he had the best view of the whole thing, not sure what the center would have seen to overrule it. I'll have to agree that is a harsh end to a season

Saw the video. What wasn't mentioned is that it was the SV defender that "flicked" the ball on. A player cannot be off-sides if the defender is the one that misplays the ball. The official probably waived off his linesman because of this. If that's the case, it's the right call and a good one at that by the center official.

Saw the video. What wasn't mentioned is that it was the SV defender that "flicked" the ball on. A player cannot be off-sides if the defender is the one that misplays the ball. The official probably waived off his linesman because of this. If that's the case, it's the right call and a good one at that by the center official.

It was obvious the SV defender flicked the ball on but the Oneonta player seemed to be standing behind everyone waiting for the ball. Read the article in the Oneonta paper and the player said he was running into space, but the video shows him standing still when he got the ball. Like I have said in my earlier post we won't know where the kid started when the ball was struck, but honestly the linesman has the best view of that and he had the flag up. Just a real odd situation overall to have happen

Guest Bing Ref

It was offsides....The offensive player was already in an offside positon prior to the flick

Once the linesman put up the flag the call is made. The issue is as a referee do you end the game by over ruling the linesman who in this case never hesitated to lift the flag and never put it down?

rule interpetation

Considered offsides -- IF

Gaining an advantage by being in an offside position

Playing the ball after the ball has rebounded off the goal, the goalkeeper, or any opponent A player in offside position (PIOP) is temporarily prohibited from participating in play until one of three things happens: (a) the player is in an onside position the next time the ball is touched or played by a teammate; ( B) the ball goes out of play; or © the ball is possessed and controlled by an opponent.

There is nothing PIOP can do to make themselves 'onside.' They cannot, for example, run back to be even with the ball, even with the second last defender, or into their own half. Defenders are entitled to ignore attackers in offside position, and if a PIOP position were allowed to play the ball by running back to their own half, the defenders would have to mark PIOP. Law 11 is intended to avoid this by making a PIOP temporarily ineligible to participate in any play in any location. "Gaining an advantage" is defined by FIFA to mean touching the ball after the ball deflects off an opponent or the goal; it does not insulate PIOP from touching the ball in other circumstances.

Guest soccer41

This is what makes the offsides rule the most conflicting rule in all of sports. By the way the rule reads....the player can actually be in an offsides position when the ball is struck on a restart, if it hits a defender first (which it did in this case) he is then no longer offsides. Which is why the flag was wasived off.

I personally think once a player is off they are off, whether it hits a defender or not. But the rule is so f@@ked up that it can be interpreted any number of a multiple ways.

You guys aren't understanding me...what i'm saying is that the player was in an "offsides" position, but he wasn't "offsides" because it was the SV player that got the last touch on the ball.

For instance, consider this. If the SV player had the ball in his possession and tried to play a back pass to his goalkeeper not knowing an Oneonta player was behind him and the Oneonta player intercepted the pass and scored, it's still a goal.

The call was WRONG by the linesman and the center official made the correct call by waiving him off because it was the SV player that got the last touch on the ball. I'm not affiliated with either school and could care less who won, but the correct call was made.

You guys aren't understanding me...what i'm saying is that the player was in an "offsides" position, but he wasn't "offsides" because it was the SV player that got the last touch on the ball. For instance, consider this. If the SV player had the ball in his possession and tried to play a back pass to his goalkeeper not knowing an Oneonta player was behind him and the Oneonta player intercepted the pass and scored, it's still a goal. The call was WRONG by the linesman and the center official made the correct call by waiving him off because it was the SV player that got the last touch on the ball. I'm not affiliated with either school and could care less who won, but the correct call was made.

You are wrong, an defending player must control/possess the ball in order for an offside player to regain his play. In this play no defender ever controlled the ball, and the attacking player was in an offside spot. This was not a controlled play back it was a flick or touch at best. Any player offside would still be offside as no change of possession occurred. If the defender had control you would be right, but it was clear no defending player had a controlled touch on the ball.

Soccer rules do not considering heading the ball a controlled touch, which is why a defender can head the ball back to a GK and he can pick it up but a player can not pass a ball back to the GK for a pick up.

In this instance the linesman did the right thing, he signaled for offside when the player touched the ball. The center official should have went over with only two thoughts. First was the player offside when the original free kick was taken? If yes the player remained offside and no goal.The second choice is, Was the player onside when the ball was kicked and then offside on the flick? If yes that the goal stands, as a defender touching it would not impact the offside spot by making a second touch. It was obvious the flick was by the defenders so I don't know why the linesman would have flagged offside in that instance.

What happened is that UE just got better and better as the season went on, and Vestal stayed the same. It's clear that Vestal has its work cut out for them. It wasn't that Vestal didn't play great--they played against a team that had the skills and wanted to win. What was great to see was how many people were rooting for UE to win.

Vestal got a lot better as the season went on. They played absolutely horrible against UE and still pulled out the win. That is what great teams to, they can win even when they are playing poorly. They will step up their game in states because they seem to have a problem of playing down to the competition. When they play a strong team then we will see their true potential show.

Vestal got a lot better as the season went on. They played absolutely horrible against UE and still pulled out the win. That is what great teams to, they can win even when they are playing poorly. They will step up their game in states because they seem to have a problem of playing down to the competition. When they play a strong team then we will see their true potential show.

Sorry, but a lot people think that Vestal has stayed the same, and that teams just got better as the season went on. I guess the excuse that Vestal played horrible is just that, an excuse. If they get further, then we can talk.

Listen Vestal kids, you have to understand something. Vestal did not play horribly just because. Union-Endicott showed up and took the game to Vestal and put them in situations they hadn't experienced all year. They responded poorly to that, and that is why they are NOT the fantastic team made out to be, and 98% of people who knew anything about the game Saturday would agree with me.

What happened is that UE just got better and better as the season went on, and Vestal stayed the same. It's clear that Vestal has its work cut out for them. It wasn't that Vestal didn't play great--they played against a team that had the skills and wanted to win. What was great to see was how many people were rooting for UE to win.

UE didn't play any better than in their early season games, but they did seem really pumped up. I think the seniors on the team really wanted to go out with a bang. And Vestal did play poorly -- for Vestal. I'm sure they thought that against a team like UE they could just show up and win. It was nice to see everyone cheering for the underdog. If Vestal gets back to playing how they usually play, they'll do well.

UE didn't play any better than in their early season games, but they did seem really pumped up. I think the seniors on the team really wanted to go out with a bang. And Vestal did play poorly -- for Vestal. I'm sure they thought that against a team like UE they could just show up and win. It was nice to see everyone cheering for the underdog. If Vestal gets back to playing how they usually play, they'll do well.

UE certainly did play better, and that is what coaches, refs, and players on other teams were saying. Vestal just can't admit that it. Vestal needs to realize they aren't as good as they think they are, and it will show this weekend.

Guest soccerfan2

He stupid, people get jealous and they want to see the superior team loose. This way they can feel good and trash winners...it's a common reaction to a team that went undefeated and totally dominated the league. Simple truth is maybe vestal is getting bored of the competition. also, did you notice once ue scored it took vestal 4 minutes to tie up the score. Good that you rooted for ue...sorry about your lose.

Guest soccerfan2

Took the words out of my mouth for the UE-Vestal game. Would have liked to see UE go into half leading, or see Kilmarx's ball go and in off the post instead of out, but obviously too late now. Not sure what happened to Vestal's defense, but Murphy should probably be conserned.

should have could have would have...maybe they should have shot it in the net instead of hitting the post...or maybe vestal's other 10 shots could have all went in! enjoy the winter

Guest soccerfan2

Sorry, but a lot people think that Vestal has stayed the same, and that teams just got better as the season went on. I guess the excuse that Vestal played horrible is just that, an excuse. If they get further, then we can talk.

lot of people? stayed the same...? excuse for winning...ok sorry vestal won the section for the 2nd straight year and sorry for only winning by one goal and outshooting the opponent. so because ue appeared more competitive one game, and because vestal played horrible and still won the match...would say ue played even more horrible. so you like to honor a team who loses the match...wow if you get more stupid we will not be able to talk. Are you the judge and jury on team dynamics!

Reminder to Vestal:

Scarsdale - 4

Vestal - 0

State Tournament play isn't easy.

Didn't Vestal win a state title recently? I'm pretty sure they're aware it's a challenge. But thanks for your opinion.

Didn't Vestal win a state title recently? I'm pretty sure they're aware it's a challenge. But thanks for your opinion.

They won it 4-5 years ago. 1-2 years ago is recently

He stupid, people get jealous and they want to see the superior team loose. This way they can feel good and trash winners...it's a common reaction to a team that went undefeated and totally dominated the league. Simple truth is maybe vestal is getting bored of the competition. also, did you notice once ue scored it took vestal 4 minutes to tie up the score. Good that you rooted for ue...sorry about your lose.

Next time you come on to trash the rest of the league that vestal "got bored with", make sure you can correctly speak English moron. Accept the fact that UE and Ithaca weren't that far behind the "Golden Boys" from Vestal.

Listen Vestal kids, you have to understand something. Vestal did not play horribly just because. Union-Endicott showed up and took the game to Vestal and put them in situations they hadn't experienced all year. They responded poorly to that, and that is why they are NOT the fantastic team made out to be, and 98% of people who knew anything about the game Saturday would agree with me.

how did vestal respond poorly? im pretty sure they responded with scoring 2 goals and not allowing another after the first. hmm that sounds like a good job to me. yes at first they were slow and taking it for granted but once scored upon a light switched and they responded with a victory. and dumbass who said it was 4-0 you shouldnt be posting. vestal will be fine this weekend

RELAX kids - safe to say that Section IV Class AA schools have proven that they are certainly competitive on the state level. Be it over Ithaca or UE or (coming soon) Elmira, Vestal has typically come out on top and Battle-Tested for the comp they will face out of Section. There is no disgrace in a 2-1 victory over a game UE squad.

Good luck to the Golden Bears at the next level - Bring another one home for Section IV.

Enough of the territorial pissings already.

Archived