Roadrunner Turbo vs. Standard

The West Sider

When I had Turbo, I was getting 20. When I cancelled it and went back to Standard, I was also getting 20. It probably depends on your location quite a bit, how many of your neighbors are on the same junction, when that equipment was last upgraded, etc., but I'm obviously not the only one who's had the experience of there being no difference.

If whatever you're getting on Standard isn't fast enough for you, you can always just try it and switch back if it isn't a big enough difference. Standard delivers more than enough speed for me to stream music in one room, movies or play a game in another, do my data-intensive job, have my assistant do her job, and for me to download things on my phone without interruption, so the first step might be checking to make sure you're actually getting the speed you should expect on Standard (15?) and have a technician work on that before you pay anything extra.

My Standard is 54 Mbps and that is fast enough for me, I might get some what faster if I get a newer router?

Maybe, maybe not. Your download speed also depends on the upload speed of where you are getting your data. Also the number of people using the net at any time also affects it.

About two week ago my email ( I still have rr mail) was so freking slow it was unbelievable. So I go on to online chat, and the guy was a A$$HOLE. I explained the issue and Paul says well everything is OK on there end , but what a deal they have for me for only 10.00 more a month I can get Turbo and this will solve all my problems. Well after I politely told him to shove it in his a$$ amazingly the next day and everyday after it has been fine. I have no doubt they screw with it .

Hard to say. That's the typical opinion people have of crime warner customer service. I suspect time of day, with traffic, affects RR mail.

About two week ago my email ( I still have rr mail) was so freking slow it was unbelievable. So I go on to online chat, and the guy was a A$$HOLE. I explained the issue and Paul says well everything is OK on there end , but what a deal they have for me for only 10.00 more a month I can get Turbo and this will solve all my problems. Well after I politely told him to shove it in his a$$ amazingly the next day and everyday after it has been fine. I have no doubt they screw with it .

Hard to say. That's the typical opinion people have of crime warner customer service. I suspect time of day, with traffic, affects RR mail.

Well it was for about 3 days and didnt seem to matter what time it was. I am up at 5 am and it was terribly slow

I use speedtest.net

Using the Plexicomm Server in Binghamton:

Turbo

DL - 29.9 Mb/s

UL - 1.95 Mb/s

Ping - 35 ms

Changed servers - Syracuse

DL - 29.78 Mb/2

UL - 1.96 Mb/s

Ping - 15 ms

Dl speeds usually changer due to location and server traffic. Historically the Plexicomm server is slower.

I've been able to see faster speeds during the day in the Syracuse server.

My DL speeds are no faster than 29.9 Mb/s and the UL speed is crippled and stays at 1.96 always. This has to do with upload restrictions and server loads.

Ping speeds, the faster the better.

One of the ways I've been able to tweak a little speed, especially page loading is to change the DNS setting in my router and browser. Theres a proggy out there that will let you do it easiest on your browser.

Look for it. Run a few DNS checks. Save it and you'll see some better loading speeds.

Aside from little tweks we are at the mercy of TWC and what they want to do unless you get a SAT link or are close enough to a FIOS link. I considered Plexicomm but had concerns over the line of site aspect. Especially during weather events.

There's a few other sites out there offering tweaks, CableNuts, etc.... Just look for speed tweaks and you'll find them.

Another thing to look at... If you are using a wireless router and experience drop outs, no connection, drop in speed.... You may want to look at who else in your neighborhood is using the same channel.

When two routers are trying to use the same channel and overlap all sorts of wonderful things happen. Signal fluctuation is great, speed drops, etc. Search for wifi testers amd DL it. Run it on your wireless equipped device and you'll see what I mean. Try to get way from what your neighbor is using.

There's also such things as changing the software and firmware in your router. You can even crank up the power for wireless but I'm not getting into that. BTW - run wired whenever possible. It's a cleaner connection. I run a wired / wireless setup as I run a weather station and also like to connect anywhere around my location.

As you can see there's lots of things you can do in order to get good signal and range. Also search for cable speeds tweaks. There's some good info especially in regards to threshhold numbers. They tell you if you actually are running at peak performance. You may also want to upgrade your router, that is buy a new one. I did and my speed has been rock solid versus what I used to have using the TWC unit.

Good luck.

Maybe, maybe not. Your download speed also depends on the upload speed of where you are getting your data. Also the number of people using the net at any time also affects it.

My fault, that was my signal strength.

I would like to know why I pay more for basic cable and basic Internet speed than my boyfriend who has HDTV and Turbo Internet. I live in town and he lives in the country. I pay $130 and he pays $115.

??

I had wifi drops as well. I finally reached TWC internet support - after about 2 hours of being bounced about and put on hold. Finally, somebody was able to remote to my router and make some adjustments, which worked. Of course, along the way, some crime warner reps were trying to sell me "Turbo".

Your speed will also be impacted on the modem you are using. I was paying for the Turbo for months and getting standard download speeds, turns out the modem I had was older and wasn't built to handle the faster speeds. TWC didn't care, so I bought my own modem for $72 and turned in the old one. From the minute I had it working I noticed a considerable increase in speed. Now I was getting the Turbo speed.

Fun fact, what we pay for Turbo here in Binghamton is the Standard speed for Syracuse. This is because they face actual competition up there from FiOs.

Archived