Cal Harris arrested in Owego for harassment of college student

Pinky

The class is discussing a trial that may or may not have similarities with Cal's, someone blurts out a normal comment making a connection between the past and current events, and it's a big deal.

Classrooms all across America witness commentary like that all day, every day. 5 days a week. Does Cayla expect to never hear a word about her father or mother from strangers the rest of her life?

Wanker...WT ???...Throw stones at the dad if need be, but the children have done nothing.. I think the classroom clown that made a statement like that knowing she was in the room could a couple of lessons from Ms Manners....No matter which way you want to cut it that kind of crap isn't right....

Wanker...WT ???...Throw stones at the dad if need be, but the children have done nothing.. I think the classroom clown that made a statement like that knowing she was in the room could a couple of lessons from Ms Manners....No matter which way you want to cut it that kind of crap isn't right....

I have all the sympathy in the world for the Harris children. They lose no matter what the outcome of the trial is.

Cayla is now an adult, living in the real world. The true intentions of the person who made the remark about Cals' trial may never be known, but in the real world, slips happen and sometimes people say rude, offensive and crude things. I'm not saying it's right, but it IS reality.

If thoughts and ideas can't be flung around a college classroom, indelicate or not, where are our offspring supposed to learn critical thinking? Disagreements and debate are the stuff that education is supposed to be made of, and it isn't guaranteed to always be pretty.

I see she chose to leave the room. She exercised her right to not hear more distasteful comments. Good for her. I probably would have done the same thing, or fired back.

At 19 she can't expect the rest of the world to tiptoe around her delicate and tragic circumstances forever. She'll also be learning that lots of people dislike her Dad intensely and if she's on "his team" they may, by association, tend to not like her either, fair or not. If she's going to defend her Dad, people are going to put her to task and present her with opportunities to do so.

As she gets older, she will hear much worse.

If he gets convicted a third time, she can expect some people to be less civilized with their commentary. My guess is that after college, most of his kids will choose to move out of state, whether he's convicted or acquitted. And who could blame them?

Wanker...Let's be real here...Debate is one thing and I highly support it...However in this instance, the so called "debate" was meant to hurt or be a smart ass remark..The "clown" had full knowledge of her presence in the classroom and still decided to act like a class bully starving for attention...

Wanker...Let's be real here...Debate is one thing and I highly support it...However in this instance, the so called "debate" was meant to hurt or be a smart ass remark..The "clown" had full knowledge of her presence in the classroom and still decided to act like a class bully starving for attention...

I don't know what his intentions were, but let's be serious here: it doesn't matter.

If you, an adult, text your dad because you don't like what's being said in class, and your dad immediately drives over to heap verbal abuse on the total stranger in a parking lot, your dad belongs in a mental institution. Especially when he is already on trial and should be aware of what is going to happen when the incident gets out.

Pro hits are guaranteed. They cost 1 million dollars. Failure is not an option. Did anyone at all check the car crusher ?

I've suspected right from the outset that this was a pro job. Cal didn't actually kill her, but he did pay for the hit.

None of us were in the classroom, so I'd like to hear from someone that was there exactly what the exchange was. According to the report, Adult Student Zikuski made the comment that Harris would get off. So was he saying it as a statement of fact, that perhaps there isn't enough evidence to find him guilty, or was he saying it sarcastically in that he believes the man is guilty but will get off. We don't know. If it was the first one, then the comment does not sound all that inflammatory. The guy could believe that Harris will walk, so if you are having a discussion in a classroom about trials and evidence and convictions, as long as it's not offensive, then the discussion should be allowed. If the guy was being an obnoxious jerk, then students have the right to speak up, walk out or whatever. Also the teacher should know enough to warn the offending student to stop. Sounds like the teacher at least changed topics. If the student continues to be obnoxious then I would think the teacher could kick him out of the class. There's got to be some kind of code of conduct for college classes.

I feel bad for the Harris children because they do have had to endure a lot of publicity. If the guy was making a statement and not being sarcastic, then maybe the Harris girl over reacted, but then again when you are faced with this 24/7, she may have had enough. AdultStudent Zikuski had to know who his classmate was, so if his purpose was to be obnoxious then that is just wrong. The Harris girl posted on WBNG's fb page and said this was not the first time AdultStudent Zikuski has said rude things about her father in front of her, so if that is the case, then he wins the class jerk award. He also gets double points because he's an adult and typically when one hits their 30's or 40's for whatever age his is, they should know better. To make statements about a kid's parent, that's just bully mentality.

Ok, now on to Cal Harris. The dude should have just stayed in his car….some say he threatened and pushed and shoved, some say he did not. We weren't there so we really don't know for sure. It all could have been avoided if he stayed in his car. I don't fault him for checking up on his kid if she was upset, that's what any concerned parent would do, but dude, you are on trial for murder…don't put yourself in a situation where you could find yourself in trouble. Sounds to me under the worse possible situations that both C Harris and Zikuski could be accused of harassment - Harris for going after Zikuski and Zikuski for going after the Harris kid.

The Harris girl posted on WBNG's fb page and said this was not the first time Adult Student Zikuski has said rude things about her father in front of her, so if that is the case, then he wins the class jerk award...To make statements about a kid's parent, that's just bully mentality.

I don't disagree, but what I find baffling here is that she would feel compelled to have her father intervene. She's a 19-year-old woman, not a 12-year-old kid, and she's going to be hearing these things for many years. It's the lead story in the news every day. She surely realizes that most people believe her father did it and can't reasonably believe people aren't going to say it out loud.

Asking your dad to come make the gossip stop is, in my opinion, some strange, entitled behavior. Even commenting about it on Facebook is a little odd, as if this not being the first time makes the conduct less offensive. If this was an ongoing classroom problem, I'd expect someone to deal with it through the college rather than letting their dad (who has a reputation as a possible killer) come terrorize the guy, or whatever actually transpired.

If Cal Harris confronted me on the street, I'd certainly be alarmed and disturbed and let the police know, just in case I suddenly disappeared without a trace.

Ok, now on to Cal Harris. The dude should have just stayed in his car...

I can't think of any good reason for him to even drive over, unless his daughter was a complete emotional wreck over whatever was said and was incapable of taking herself home. It seems to me he came to the school for the purpose of confronting someone and bullying them out of speaking their mind, which is not quite normal.

As for harassment:

A person is guilty of harassment in the second degree when, with

intent to harass, annoy or alarm another person:

1. He or she strikes, shoves, kicks or otherwise subjects such other

person to physical contact, or attempts or threatens to do the same; or

2. He or she follows a person in or about a public place or places; or

3. He or she engages in a course of conduct or repeatedly commits acts

which alarm or seriously annoy such other person and which serve no

legitimate purpose.

I think it's a reach to argue that discussing current events in a classroom environment "serves no legitimate purpose". Lots of families end up in the public eye and have to deal with unkind gossip and commentary, even when they don't have anybody accused of murder. There is no general protection against hearing opinions about your loved ones that you don't want to hear.

. Also the teacher should know enough to warn the offending student to stop. Sounds like the teacher at least changed topics. If the student continues to be obnoxious then I would think the teacher could kick him out of the class. There's got to be some kind of code of conduct for college classes.

I feel bad for the Harris children because they do have had to endure a lot of publicity. If the guy was making a statement and not being sarcastic, then maybe the Harris girl over reacted, but then again when you are faced with this 24/7, she may have had enough.

....he wins the class jerk award.

Ok, now on to Cal Harris. The dude should have just stayed in his car….some say he threatened and pushed and shoved, some say he did not. We weren't there so we really don't know for sure. It all could have been avoided if he stayed in his car. I don't fault him for checking up on his kid if she was upset, that's what any concerned parent would do, but dude, you are on trial for murder…don't put yourself in a situation where you could find yourself in trouble.

C Harris and Zikuski could be accused of harassment - Harris for going after Zikuski and Zikuski for going after the Harris kid.

The teacher did what he/she thought was appropriate to end the situation. Apparently it worked and no more was said about Killer Cal's trial. No fumble of the ball.

There is a code of conduct in public college classes and its up to the instructor to apply it.

If she can't handle being in a history class in which they're studying criminal behavior, she needs to make the changes she needs to make. Calling Daddy to give the guy a good talking to is the WRONG way to handle if, if that's what she did. My guess is that she called Dad simply to tell him that she was upset and Cal decided on his own to act like an ass in public.

Going there to pick up his distraught daughter = a good, fatherly thing to do. Getting out and saying a single word to anyone about anything = just plain dumb with a capital T.

Regardless of who it was who made the comment, it could not be construed as "going after" someone. There's no laws prohibiting being an a*****e, even in a publicly funded college. There's not even a code of conduct that disallows someone from making a single questionable comment. All he was required to do was refrain from continuing once he was asked not to.

Its really not that big a deal, and, as I and others have stated, Cayla (like it or not) is going to have to find a way to deal with the world getting in her face once in awhile about her Dad. Life 101.

We don't fully know his true intent and probably never will. Was it possible he was intending to get under her ribs? Sure. Bully her, in a way? Possible.

It strikes me more as a "look at me!" move.

It wouldn't be the first time a hurtful comment was made in junior college classroom, nor will it be the last.

I can understand her being upset, calling Cal and even asking him to come pick her up. All normal reactions to stressful events for a 19 year old.

As I recall reading, she also tweeted about it and had a short Twitter exchange with a female correspondent of a major news outlet. CNN perhaps?

She needs to be staying under the radar almost as much as Daddy needs to stay in the car with the windows up and out of the public eye. I'm sure there is no shortage of people in his hometown who would love nothing more than to walk up to his car, rap on the window in an attempt to get him to respond and give him a load of hostile bloviation....if for nothing more than bragging rights about how they "told Cal where the bear sh**s in the woods before he went to prison."

I see all manner of people being candidates for something like this: teenagers who sympathize with his tribe to grandmotherly 80 year olds who are simply appalled that a man would kill his kids' mother.

The irony of being Cayla Harris is that the more she makes herself a target and puts her words and face out there for the world to consume, the more people are going to take shots. Simply because they can. Its how the world works. Going on the local news website and twitter with commentary is guaranteed to backfire for her and all her brothers, sisters and extended family.

If he had done something more blatantly criminal, it might be possible to use that in the sentencing proceedings. Someone will probably google that and let me know if I'm right or not. Bring it.

Archived