Sewage/water treatment Plant

ginger

My dishes smell funny and my coffee tastes horrible. My stomach has been burning for about a week. Problems?

(yes I have a filter on my fridge water dispenser it's just more convenient to fill the pot from the sink)

Two different plants. And the water treatment is miles upstream of the sewage treatment plant (City Engineers must have had help back then as it probably would have been reveresed if designed today).

Hopefully whoever plumbed your home kept all the lines seperate. Do you have a water softener? They can get funky if not maintained.

^ No. I just made a pot of coffee with the filtered water. It's much better but the coffee cup smells funny. I was cleaning earlier, using the sink sprayer with all hot water, the steam smelled horrible. I guess I will test it.

I made a pot of coffee at work, drank it out of a Styrofoam cup-still no change. I ran the hot water...still a vile odor. My mother has my nephew and I bringing her cases of bottled water for a month now-I thought she was exaggerating.

I stopped at Tim Hortons in Great Bend. Their coffee tastes great. It tastes normal. There is definitely something wrong with the water. I asked my coworkers...everyone is complaining of heartburn!

Possible water main break? Is the water discolored? I heard that last winter was so cold for so long that the frost line was about 6 feet deep causing many problems with the water lines.

Methane is odorless, colorless, and tasteless. If you are tasting and smelling chemicals as well as some people getting heartburn then report it to the Health Dept.

I would also have a private water company test it.

• 5 years later...
On 6/27/2015 at 10:43 AM, ginger said:

My dishes smell funny and my coffee tastes horrible. My stomach has been burning for about a week. Problems?

(yes I have a filter on my fridge water dispenser it's just more convenient to fill the pot from the sink)

Bumping the thread. My water has been discolored for about a week. I can tell when I fill Kitten's water dish, it's white and the water look like dishwater. My coffee tastes like acid. I've been giving her bottled water and I just bought 2 cases of Poland Spring for cooking and my coffee.  

Until you get the DEC to forbid the CSO discharges (Combined Sewer Overflow) along the Susquehanna River you cannot guarantee that the water sucked in for drinking is free of the sewage discharged by the storm drains.  The wastewater treatment plant can't treat the frequent raw sewage discharge events that go directly into the river before it ever gets to them.  That 295 million dollar project never increased the size of the City and Village sewer lines.  Subscribe to NY Alerts (free) to get a warning of the tens of millions of gallons of combined sewage and storm water the City discharges directly into the river because it would cost too much to seperate storm water from sewage.  Although the DEC has been asking for that for 40 years.  The valley could have got by with a 1/4 smaller wastewater treatment plant if that had been done.

To borrow a phrase from Morton Salt: "When it rains, lumpers pour out into the river".  

https://alert.ny.gov/enroll

21 hours ago, FormerSomeone said:

Until you get the DEC to forbid the CSO discharges (Combined Sewer Overflow) along the Susquehanna River you cannot guarantee that the water sucked in for drinking is free of the sewage discharged by the storm drains.  The wastewater treatment plant can't treat the frequent raw sewage discharge events that go directly into the river before it ever gets to them.  That 295 million dollar project never increased the size of the City and Village sewer lines.  Subscribe to NY Alerts (free) to get a warning of the tens of millions of gallons of combined sewage and storm water the City discharges directly into the river because it would cost too much to seperate storm water from sewage.  Although the DEC has been asking for that for 40 years.  The valley could have got by with a 1/4 smaller wastewater treatment plant if that had been done.

To borrow a phrase from Morton Salt: "When it rains, lumpers pour out into the river".  

https://alert.ny.gov/enroll

Up shit’s creek literally. Sewer plants can bypass excess flows to the river “to protect” their treatment systems from overload / washout.

Not sewage plants.  Sewers.  The City/Villages control and maintains the sewers.  If it doesn't get to the sewage treatment plant they can't treat it.  The discharges are at Bevier St, Pennsylvania Ave., and anywhere there is a pump station.  According to NY Alerts (free App) the wastewater plant in Vestal hasn't had a discharge since the flood of 2011.  The City . . . every hard rain.  And the DEC allows it.  Because the other option would be back into the homes and streets.

https://www.dec.ny.gov/chemical/48595.html

https://www.dec.ny.gov/chemical/95794.html

• 1 month later...
5 hours ago, ginger said:

I give up...I'm not cooking or making coffee with City of Binghamton water anymore. Everything tastes like acid. 

I gave up on local water years ago.  I take gallon jugs to Weis and fill them for 40 cents a gallon. 

When I run out of Weis water and have to use local water to drink, I realize how terrible it tastes.  I don't even let my cat drink it.

19 hours ago, ginger said:

I give up...I'm not cooking or making coffee with City of Binghamton water anymore. Everything tastes like acid. 

Go with a water dispenser at Lowe's and a bottle water service. We tried one that sounds like Mulligan, it wasn't good, tasted overly treated with chlorine. Turns out their source is....Endicott municipal water that they further treat. We switched to Aqua Valley and the water is wonderful. Source is a spring in Otsego county.

Thanks for the help. I just buy the cases of Poland Spring when they are on sale. My uncle had an artesean spring on his farm in New Milford. Best water ever. 

• 4 months later...

That's a handy site, thanks Pete! What have i been saying? My coffee taste like ACID...my mouth feels like it has sunburn when I use tap water.

At least my dishes didn't smell funny this past summer.

lol of course I have great skin because it's like getting a chemical peel every time I get in the shower.

THE WATER ISN'T DRINKABLE MAYOR DAVID! I WANT A REBATE! AND A LIFETIME SUPPLY OF SHIMMER QUENCH OIL OF OLAY IN THE PURPLE PUMP BOTTLE.

https://images.app.goo.gl/hNEdBp9h9DQTgWEp7