The EquiFax data breach - this is serious shit folks

WolfMan

Read up on this and look into it.

HALF of Americans had their data stolen. Think about that.

With some of the info, it is a lifelong threat to you. That means forever.

Read this USA Today article, it's important. Read other articles. Take this serious. Protect yourself, no one else will. My data was quite likely breached from what I've found so far.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/2017/09/09/equifax-data-breach-could-create-life-long-identity-theft-threat/646765001/

Put a fraud alert on your credit file and renew it every 90 days. Nobody can open a new line of credit unless they call you first on a number that you specify.

It's free.

This and similar breaches go very, very far beyond opening a line of credit.

I mean, not bad advice, but it's a very small part in regards to the scope of the threats these breaches bring.

My first thought hearing this story was where along the lines of life did any American sign something that gave all of their information to a company like EquiFax? Who provides them with our personal information?

Creditors, who got it from you...to report on how debts are repaid.

So all that fine print, approved by our "out to protect us at all cost government", is much more important than we ever knew? Is anyone else in this world sick and tired of being lied to?? WTF!!!!!

Put a fraud alert on your credit file and renew it every 90 days. Nobody can open a new line of credit unless they call you first on a number that you specify.

It's free.

Shouldn't that be the default? I mean, do they put a vault in the bank AFTER they get robbed?

My favorite points about this breach is:

1) They didn't tell anyone about it for over 30 days - so the hackers got quite a bit head start on using the information.

2) When they did tell you about the breach they offered to sign you up for a 'free' year of credit monitoring service - except the fine print says doing so releases them from any legal action by you. So first their lack security allows data to be stolen on a massive scale, then they offer to 'protect' those whose data was stolen, but only if you give up their rights to sue them. Seriously, you cant make this stuff up.

3) They allow you to look up if you are one of the victims by.....you guessed it, entering your personal info on their website. God forbid THEY be proactive and actually notify the victims.

The cherry will be I expect the CEO will receive a massive bonus this year for his exhaustive efforts to cover up this screw up.

Shouldn't that be the default? I mean, do they put a vault in the bank AFTER they get robbed?

My favorite points about this breach is:

1) They didn't tell anyone about it for over 30 days - so the hackers got quite a bit head start on using the information.

2) When they did tell you about the breach they offered to sign you up for a 'free' year of credit monitoring service - except the fine print says doing so releases them from any legal action by you. So first their lack security allows data to be stolen on a massive scale, then they offer to 'protect' those whose data was stolen, but only if you give up their rights to sue them. Seriously, you cant make this stuff up.

3) They allow you to look up if you are one of the victims by.....you guessed it, entering your personal info on their website. God forbid THEY be proactive and actually notify the victims.

The cherry will be I expect the CEO will receive a massive bonus this year for his exhaustive efforts to cover up this screw up.

I was going to post something about your 2nd item but couldn't figure out where I read it to verify I read it right. Now I know I wasn't crazy. So thank's. A lot of people probably screwed themselves by taking action too quickly.

If you're reading this then your personal information will eventually be compromised. It's not a matter of if but when. Plan now for how you will handle it. Take the steps I described above now, it may save you big time down the road.

I was first a victim of identity theft back in 2012. It's happened twice since then. They've tried opening a new account in my name. They changed my address on a credit card to another state. They cloned my debit card and went on a shopping spree in another state. By paying very close attention to things I was able to shut down the thieves before they could do any real damage.

Don't use a debit card. Use a credit card. If that gets compromised the money isn't coming from your bank account. Set up text message alerts so you get notified whenever your card is used. Check your accounts daily to ensure no fraudulent activity has taken place.

Archived