Remembering George Akel

BinghamtonBill

A friend of mine's mother worked for the Giant for 30 years.  She was fired when she was 3 months away from a pension from the Giant.

He was able to get the city/county to buy his old buildings. 

He purposely tried to keep Wegman's out of the area so he could keep his virtual monopoly?

Wasn't one of his people caught getting another market's sale information early so the Giant could match prices?

The only positive thing he had going for him was that the Ellis family hated the Akel's, simply because the Akel's were more successful than they are. 

2 hours ago, PeteMoss said:

A friend of mine's mother worked for the Giant for 30 years.  She was fired when she was 3 months away from a pension from the Giant.

He was able to get the city/county to buy his old buildings. 

He purposely tried to keep Wegman's out of the area so he could keep his virtual monopoly?

Wasn't one of his people caught getting another market's sale information early so the Giant could match prices?

The only positive thing he had going for him was that the Ellis family hated the Akel's, simply because the Akel's were more successful than they are. 

Dave Cannastra of AL George would thieve the weekly flyer for the upcoming week at Price Chopper on Wednesday’s and then give that I got to Ferris I believe. George was not involved with that at all except for last name. I’m sure he was not pleased either. I’m not sure whatever became of that lawsuit filed by the Golub Corporation against AL George however 

George was a tough but fair boss IMO.