Remembering our friend Tony Massar

BCVoice

Tony Massar was an advocate for the city of Binghamton and always fought for the First Ward.  He was a good friend to many, including the Kachadourian family.  Tony, Garo and a group of others often got together for lunch to discuss local issues.  Few were as passionate as Tony. After his two terms on city council, he remained active in the community.  He brought gang experts to town and worked with local officials to address gang and public safety issues. Tony never gave in to pressure from political party bosses, he always did what was right.  

Our friend passed away this morning, and he will be missed and remembered by many. 

Tony was great to all in law enforcement and emergency services.  When any first responder needed anything he was always there for us.  He did everything he could to keep sex offenders from being near schools and parks.  He even started a TV show to blast their pictures and names all over, so parents could keep track of sex offenders living in their neighborhoods. What a great man, one of the best elected officials to ever serve in Broome County. 

Tony was also very supportive of local unions, the boots on he ground ground. Local 7 and 693 always had his back.  And Tony was one of the biggest supporters of free speech.  There was a lot of nonsense going on at city council back in the 90's and early 2000's, with public speakers being turned away or the microphone being turned off.  Tony fought really hard for free speech at city council.  He didn't care if the meetings went on to 11pm or midnight, he wanted everyone to have a chance to voice their opinions. 

I will miss Tony. I have many memories with him from lunch at Tony's in Endicott with the guys, and him teaching me the rules of the road and driving when I was 16. He was an incredible man and friend. I will forever hold a special place for him in my heart. Rest peacefully Tony.