Visions Credit Union awful TV ad

Wally Funk

This Visions Credit union TV ad is so bad, it's insulting.  Two people are on a date, and the women leaves when she sees the man isn't baking with Visions.  Let's hear about great service, low APR's, or community involvement, that makes a bank look good.  This TV ad is horrible.  It's right up with there with the Home Plus radio ads as the most annoying local ads.

These type of ads are produced by a media company and marketed to smaller businesses and licensed by market. The same video is used for each market, but the voiceover and graphic are customized. There theory is that it allows small businesses access to higher production as they supposedly get high quality for a significant reduction in cost as the media company makes their money on the multiple markets.

But, yup, this one sucks. Higher production value can't mask a crappy and poorly written concept. They all don't suck. The best one I remember in this market were the fat guy dancing ads for KGB some 30+ years ago.

This commercial is a good example of our "hometown" credit union having more money than they know what to do with.  Next time your son's baseball team or daughter's post prom party goes to Visions for a donation, and they get shot down, remember Visions pissing away money on garbage like this commercial. 

1 hour ago, DanCooper said:

Commercial has folks talking. Isn’t that the point?

That's what they tell you in advertising, but I don't agree. If it's bad, and it elicits a negative reaction, I personally think twice about doing business there.  I have a few bank accounts, and one of them is through Visions.  Am I going to go out and close the account?  No.  But if I need to expand, or open more accounts, ads like this do make me want to go elsewhere. 

46 minutes ago, Buck Fiden said:

I'm glad someone brought up the Home Plus radio ads.  I'll never buy anything there because of how annoying those ads are!

LOL, I ‘almost’ mentioned them as an example. (guess I missed in the OP)

They seem to be tamed down a bit from the early ones, b/c those just oozed smarmy snideness.

I would never buy from them either, for the same reason.

The worst ad is for Medicaid, with the two women talking to the representative. That screaming, howling laugh is enough to make you take an icepick to your eardrums! It sounds like a hyena killing a zebra. 

Visions was dominant 15 years ago, before phone apps for baking really took off, because they have so many locations. But now it's easier to bank wherever you want, even if they don't have a branch near your home or work.  Technology has made it easier to to support any business for any reason, or not support any business for any reason.  Visions needs to be aware of this, when they put out stupid TV ads like the one being discussed.

I haven't been inside a bank in over a year because the app is so easy to use.  

6 hours ago, Former Democrat said:

Visions was dominant 15 years ago, before phone apps for baking really took off, because they have so many locations. But now it's easier to bank wherever you want, even if they don't have a branch near your home or work.  Technology has made it easier to to support any business for any reason, or not support any business for any reason.  Visions needs to be aware of this, when they put out stupid TV ads like the one being discussed.

I haven't been inside a bank in over a year because the app is so easy to use.  

This is a solid point. You can open a savings account w/ a non brick & mortar, like SoFi, and get close to 5% interest on a savings account. Visions can’t compete with that.

18 hours ago, DanCooper said:

This is a solid point. You can open a savings account w/ a non brick & mortar, like SoFi, and get close to 5% interest on a savings account. Visions can’t compete with that.

Yes.

I had a problem with a local bank a few years ago, where I didn't have access to my account for 4-5 days.  Because of this I opened a second account with a non-local bank just for emergencies. Now I use it all the time, it's very easy to use, and the benefits are great. 

I have to agree with everyone else in this thread.  Visions was always big on pushing how they are local and involved in everything in the area.  So why pay for ads with non-local actors, inside a non-local restaurant?  If they hired local actors and used a local restaurant, I'd feel a little different. But the ad is really bad.. it's got people talking, but for all the wrong reasons.