SV needs a new football coach

Guest Mike

Yep. I was too young to know how Pappas coached but i did know that he swore a lot which probably deeply hurt Ray. I do know however that all of the varsity boys older than me loved Pappas and thought he was the greatest. And I especially liked Schuster, I had him as a teacher last year as well. And yes a lot of the varsity players I talked to said they would much rather have a practice that was very disciplined like our JV practices rather than the laid back varsity practices. They practiced with only helmets on at least one day a week but Mondays they also did not go out at all. So that's maybe 3 full practices a week? A lot of the time our JV coaches had to yell at the varsity players for acting like clowns at the beginning of the practices before the coaches got out. So yes, discipline is what you would expect and unfortunately there was not much of that this year.

Exactly. I figure your a player because you seem to know your stuff.

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Exactly. I figure your a player because you seem to know your stuff.

Pretty much. I like to be involved in discussions but some of the people on here are just idiots. I try to voice my opinion without making a fool of myself. Sometimes I don't like to let people know I'm still in high school but in this case it carries a little more weight. Also sometimes people don't respect you if they know you're a kid.

Guest saberland
I almost completely agree with you. The only thing i don't agree with is the fact that they did not drive Schuster out. I have no idea about what happened with Pappas, but Schuster had to quit. He was offered a job at RIT i believe before the school year started, so he gave up his long-term sub job at the school. After he did that, RIT turned around and hired another person in the job position he was going to take. By the time he found this out, the school year was almost started and the school had already found a replacement for him as a technology teacher (Nate Jacobs, who also graduated from SV). He then had no job and could not waste time on football because ha needed to work and most jobs do not allow you to leave early for football practice. Schuster otherwise fully planned on staying but he was going to assist Mike Ford anyway because he had worked with the JV team all week at the skills camp.

Thats is not at all what happened with Mark, don't tell a story that is not accurate please. He never "gave up" the sub position, he never had another job lined up anywhere, and the school did not have Nate lined up to replace him.

I won't go into the whole story but here is the true overview. The coaching staff was shuffled this year because of many reasons, some of which were related to conduct on sidelines. Bidwell resigned a position with 1 weeks notice before the season so don't ever expect him to get a job offer at SV again, he left them high and dry this year. Schuster wanted the Aquatics position at the HS and was lied to be the administration (for the 2nd time). The school then decided not to guarantee him the tech position for a full year (despite the fact he saved them the year before), so he found a job that would be 100% thing. He then left football because of how he had been lied to by numerous SV administrators.

Hope that clears things up..

Thats is not at all what happened with Mark, don't tell a story that is not accurate please. He never "gave up" the sub position, he never had another job lined up anywhere, and the school did not have Nate lined up to replace him.

I won't go into the whole story but here is the true overview. The coaching staff was shuffled this year because of many reasons, some of which were related to conduct on sidelines. Bidwell resigned a position with 1 weeks notice before the season so don't ever expect him to get a job offer at SV again, he left them high and dry this year. Schuster wanted the Aquatics position at the HS and was lied to be the administration (for the 2nd time). The school then decided not to guarantee him the tech position for a full year (despite the fact he saved them the year before), so he found a job that would be 100% thing. He then left football because of how he had been lied to by numerous SV administrators.

I'm sorry. I had been told that story by many people, so I just assumed it to be true. You know what they say about assuming... It was probably the story that the school wanted people to hear. I apologize to Jeff for that too. And for the record I really liked Schuster, he was a cool guy that i think everyone liked. Probably because he was closer to our age than the older coaches and teachers we have. It's easier to relate to someone closer to your age. Probably also why Mike Ford is also a stronger leader.

Wait does this mean bidwell will not be coaching in 08?

In my opinion Pappas was a good coach because he swore. What SV needs is a Parcells not a Dungy. The other thing I liked about Pappas was he was completely honest with you from the start of the season and managed to stick with what he said. Ray is alittle scatterbrained and is too easily influenced to remain head coach. Now I'm not saying get rid of him completely, but head coach doesn't agree with him too well. One last thing about Pappas, I played the last year he stuck around and felt he left due to three reasons; the parents of the kids were complaining too much, not enough weightlifting commitment from the kids, and he felt he couldn't express himself the way he wanted to because Ray would get too offended (which tore him up inside because he's so honest and he felt he couldn't remain honest, due to restrictions). Now to the person that said Ford should be head coach, now is not a good time because he was recently married and probably has too much on his mind at the moment. Maybe in 2 or 3 years he would be a good candidate?

In my opinion Pappas was a good coach because he swore. What SV needs is a Parcells not a Dungy. The other thing I liked about Pappas was he was completely honest with you from the start of the season and managed to stick with what he said. Ray is alittle scatterbrained and is too easily influenced to remain head coach. Now I'm not saying get rid of him completely, but head coach doesn't agree with him too well. One last thing about Pappas, I played the last year he stuck around and felt he left due to three reasons; the parents of the kids were complaining too much, not enough weightlifting commitment from the kids, and he felt he couldn't express himself the way he wanted to because Ray would get too offended (which tore him up inside because he's so honest and he felt he couldn't remain honest, due to restrictions). Now to the person that said Ford should be head coach, now is not a good time because he was recently married and probably has too much on his mind at the moment. Maybe in 2 or 3 years he would be a good candidate?

Yeah thats the kind of coach they would need to be successful. But if you look at the expeirence of the JV coaches and Ray Haskell it's rediculous. All coaches on JV played college football or college sports. They know how to work you hard. And im sure Papas knows how to work you hard because just look at his son. Might be one of the best players to play there this decade. Then theirs Ray Haskell, QB and probly didn't win a game. And rick plhanz, who was a 3rd sting linemen in high school. Bidwell is the only there who knows anything.

Guest guest13

yeah, so Jeff... you should have stayed in school. You continue to misspell words and sound like an uneducated idiot. I suggest you use the spellcheck option. Also, Ray was never a QB, so I'm not sure how "knowledgeable" you actually are, but clearly not too much. Why anonymously bash a coach on this forum? Can't own up to your comments? I don't look to bash people, I'm just pointing out that you are making statements that sound as is they are from either a drop out or a young kiddie.

Guest Compelled to reply
yeah, so Jeff... you should have stayed in school. You continue to misspell words and sound like an uneducated idiot. I suggest you use the spellcheck option. Also, Ray was never a QB, so I'm not sure how "knowledgeable" you actually are, but clearly not too much. Why anonymously bash a coach on this forum? Can't own up to your comments? I don't look to bash people, I'm just pointing out that you are making statements that sound as is they are from either a drop out or a young kiddie.

Is it just me or does Jeff seem to change his perspective on just about every post he makes on here? Or should I say Dos Jef sem too chang hiz perspeectiv one jus abot evry poste hee maks one hear! :rolleyes:

Well il tell you im still in highschool, and i don't rly care about my spelling to tell you the truth. And yes Ray Haskell was a QB when he was in high school. So maby your the one who doesnt know what hes talking about >_>

Steve was a QB

Ray was a tight end

Both played on good teams.

I highly doubt that. They both played during the 80's when SV was on their big losing streak. Steve i belive played on a good team, Ray was QB and he did not play on a good team. He might have played tight end also. But i am almost 100% sure he was a QB.

I highly doubt that. They both played during the 80's when SV was on their big losing streak. Steve i belive played on a good team, Ray was QB and he did not play on a good team. He might have played tight end also. But i am almost 100% sure he was a QB.

My parents went to school with Ray and say he was a tight end. Don't bash someone when you don't know their history. You're starting to do what the media does and make up DELETED you don't have a clue on.

My parents went to school with Ray and say he was a tight end. Don't bash someone when you don't know their history. You're starting to do what the media does and make up DELETED you don't have a clue on.

Did they play on the same team with him?

Guest Saberland
Well il tell you im still in highschool, and i don't rly care about my spelling to tell you the truth. And yes Ray Haskell was a QB when he was in high school. So maby your the one who doesnt know what hes talking about >_>

As a Conklin resident for much longer than you I have only 3 things to say to you

1. You don't know half of what you think you do Jeff, R Haskell was an end it was his brother Steve who was a quarterback. Not to mention they were on very successful teams, especially when we still had the Norris boys with them. Please stop thinking you have any idea what you are saying because you weren't even alive when this was going on.

2. The player you call one of the best this past decade at SV (Pappas) isn't in the top 10, in reality he was at best an average player for the teams of the late 90's and early years. Until the names Wilson, Walsh, Standish, Tillman, Winesman, and that group have been out ten years he can't even get close to being mentioned and even then he wasn't an excaptional player.

3. Your actions and posts are much like those of the coaches who spend all game cursing up a storm, embarrassing. Our community has always had pride in its program winning or losing. That pride is tougher to maintain when you openly post statements like you have (poor grammar and factually wrong). Supporting actions that you feel are ok (cursing, etc..) when coaches are role models for kids not their to impress them with tough talk. I watched Jud Blanchard coach for years, great coach had tremendous respect from everyone, did not need to curse to motivate.

To Jeff - You've just been "outed" kid. Someone has been feeding you misinformation about the Haskell's High School careers. You can learn a valuable lesson here - check your sources before you pass along inaccurate information.

Now back to the issue - perhaps you (or you and your teamates) can make the decision to come together as a team and push one another to excel in the classroom and the weightroom. To look inside for the answers as to why you and your teamates have not been as successful as you think you should be. The talent is absolutely there - but it will take hard work in the off-season and a never-say die attitude on the field to maximize that talent. Great teams have leaders that emerge from within - not necessarilly who the coach designates as a captain - or even the coach himself. You guys need to take that big step forward as a team (motivating, driving, and supporting each other) before you can talk about division championships and a shot at the Forks.

Looking forward to a good season next year - and an even better one the year after.

GO SABERS !

As a Conklin resident for much longer than you I have only 3 things to say to you

1. You don't know half of what you think you do Jeff, R Haskell was an end it was his brother Steve who was a quarterback. Not to mention they were on very successful teams, especially when we still had the Norris boys with them. Please stop thinking you have any idea what you are saying because you weren't even alive when this was going on.

2. The player you call one of the best this past decade at SV (Pappas) isn't in the top 10, in reality he was at best an average player for the teams of the late 90's and early years. Until the names Wilson, Walsh, Standish, Tillman, Winesman, and that group have been out ten years he can't even get close to being mentioned and even then he wasn't an excaptional player.

3. Your actions and posts are much like those of the coaches who spend all game cursing up a storm, embarrassing. Our community has always had pride in its program winning or losing. That pride is tougher to maintain when you openly post statements like you have (poor grammar and factually wrong). Supporting actions that you feel are ok (cursing, etc..) when coaches are role models for kids not their to impress them with tough talk. I watched Jud Blanchard coach for years, great coach had tremendous respect from everyone, did not need to curse to motivate.

I don't play football for SV i know people who do. And no i do not plan on giving out my name. Everyone iv spoken to tells me ray was a QB but if you insist i guess he wasn't. So i am guessing your a supporter of Ray Haskell coaching again? With his poor record and lack of leadership skills. This guy has not been successful since he got there. Did you ever play for him? Because my cousin and his friends tell me he was terrible. So im just voicing my opinion. And posting information based on what im told my actual people who play for him. This guy is not liked and not respected by anyone in this district.

Well you have a point Jeff, but make sure you have your facts straight first OK kid. That's something you learn from experience throughout your lifetime. Hint: Find out things for yourself, rather than listening to what others say.

Well you have a point Jeff, but make sure you have your facts straight first OK kid. That's something you learn from experience throughout your lifetime. Hint: Find out things for yourself, rather than listening to what others say.

Alright.

I have one problem with your post. You say you have pride for your team, yet still find room to down talk a really good player (Nick Pappas). I played on the same team as Pappas and feel he would have faired well in D2 football, which is very competative. I would not most certainly call him average because he was boss and no one on the team wanted to get blind sided by him. Of course if you want to I could have you stand in the middle of the field, give Nick a 50 yard running headstart, and have him put his shoulder right into your jaw. I don't think you would call him average then. BTW this isn't Nick replying to all you idiots that think otherwise. :angry::angry::angry:

I have one problem with your post. You say you have pride for your team, yet still find room to down talk a really good player (Nick Pappas). I played on the same team as Pappas and feel he would have faired well in D2 football, which is very competative. I would not most certainly call him average because he was boss and no one on the team wanted to get blind sided by him. Of course if you want to I could have you stand in the middle of the field, give Nick a 50 yard running headstart, and have him put his shoulder right into your jaw. I don't think you would call him average then. BTW this isn't Nick replying to all you idiots that think otherwise. :angry::angry::angry:

Nick pappas was pretty beastly. I wouldn't call him average hes probably the best player to go through there during the Haskell era.

Nick pappas was pretty beastly. I wouldn't call him average hes probably the best player to go through there during the Haskell era.

I would say at least the top three, but who am I to judge. All I know is he would always come out of a game with double the amount of tackles than everyone else would.

Is it just me or does Jeff seem to change his perspective on just about every post he makes on here? Or should I say Dos Jef sem too chang hiz perspeectiv one jus abot evry poste hee maks one hear! :rolleyes:

What did i change my perspective on? >_>

Archived