St. Patrick's Day Parade March 1st

Cat's Eye

Well it's that time of year again. I'm looking forward to the St. Patrick's Day Parade - it is the biggest parade all year, but I'm somewhat wary of how it's going to go after last year. I really hope the police and the bars, especially the bouncers, can handle the drunks and keep up with the open container law. I'm all for a good time, but with some dignity and discretion. There are too many children who come to this parade that shouldn't witness so much open drinking, littering, vandalism (broken windows), etc. Let's all do our part to make it a responsible event while still keeping the fun in it. How are you all feeling about the upcoming day?

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well it's that time of year again. I'm looking forward to the St. Patrick's Day Parade - it is the biggest parade all year, but I'm somewhat wary of how it's going to go after last year. I really hope the police and the bars, especially the bouncers, can handle the drunks and keep up with the open container law. I'm all for a good time, but with some dignity and discretion. There are too many children who come to this parade that shouldn't witness so much open drinking, littering, vandalism (broken windows), etc. Let's all do our part to make it a responsible event while still keeping the fun in it. How are you all feeling about the upcoming day?

Don't worry, Matt Ryan is our mayor, and he never drinks; the perfect St. Pat's role model.

I love the Parade, and have gone to it for years...sadly, even though the kids were having fun, those videos from last year were over the top.

I think it's a small group that needs to be controlled, and hope it's not a witch hunt like last year.

Where's your sense of diversity, equality and justice?

What's wrong with some BU students partying on a few rooftops, spewing vomit, spilling beer and throwing bottles over the edge onto the streets?

It's all in keeping with Ryan's ABC Plan: A Belligerent Crowd.

Guest BC Voice of Reason

I think the parade backlash from last year was ridiculous. God forbid anyone have any fun in this town. If you have children and don't want them seeing people having fun then don't take them to the corner of Main and Front. It's that simple.

Really easy solution: keep the drinkers down past Main/Front towards State St, and keep the families at the other end. Anyone with an open container venturing into the family section gets smacked down and fined. Listen, people are going to drink (A LOT) on parade day, that's not going to change. The city won't change it either, it pumps tons of cash into the economy. So just set a dry zone and a wet zone. Simple as that. Look at Oswego's Harborfest for an example. It's like parade day, but for a whole week. And it puts over a half-million dollars into the town.

I think the parade backlash from last year was ridiculous. God forbid anyone have any fun in this town. If you have children and don't want them seeing people having fun then don't take them to the corner of Main and Front. It's that simple.

I agree. The problems were not that bad. I was near the end of the parade with my bfamily and there were no issues there. While there were some issues during the parade, they were blown out of proportion, mostly by people who had their "hate ryan" glasses on. The parade is a blast and is still a family event, no matter how hard people try and twist things on here.

I have never been to a St. Patrick's day parade here. What time of day does it usually start and what rout does it take?

BT, times will be written up soon in Good Times, but I think the mass at St Mary's starts at noon, then the parade starts afterwards...from there to (I think?) around Arthur St, on the West Side?

So, straight down Court/Main.

Really easy solution: keep the drinkers down past Main/Front towards State St, and keep the families at the other end. Anyone with an open container venturing into the family section gets smacked down and fined. Listen, people are going to drink (A LOT) on parade day, that's not going to change. The city won't change it either, it pumps tons of cash into the economy. So just set a dry zone and a wet zone. Simple as that. Look at Oswego's Harborfest for an example. It's like parade day, but for a whole week. And it puts over a half-million dollars into the town.

Here's another solution...why not drink and act responsibly instead of setting up fenced off animal pens.

I agree. The problems were not that bad. I was near the end of the parade with my bfamily and there were no issues there. While there were some issues during the parade, they were blown out of proportion, mostly by people who had their "hate ryan" glasses on. The parade is a blast and is still a family event, no matter how hard people try and twist things on here.

It was the parade sponsors who first raised the issue of the animal-like behavior and lack of crowd control.

It's their parade.

Here's another solution...why not drink and act responsibly instead of setting up fenced off animal pens.

Or just do as I suggested and stop catering to the elderly around here. We're not a parlor city anymore. We don't need noice ordinances cutting bands off at 10pm on a friday, and for a few hours once a year I think we can deal with some drinkers.

Harborfest in Oswego has fenced on open container areas, it's not a free for all anymore with open beers. With that being said they should have a section like that here too if it's such a big deal for some people around here. I agree with the other poster though that heaven forbid one day of the year people have fun and let loose.

Harborfest in Oswego has fenced on open container areas, it's not a free for all anymore with open beers. With that being said they should have a section like that here too if it's such a big deal for some people around here. I agree with the other poster though that heaven forbid one day of the year people have fun and let loose.

Damn straight. If Oswego (population - a few thousand) can do it for a week, the Bing can do it for a few hours. Deal with it, people.

Or just do as I suggested and stop catering to the elderly around here. We're not a parlor city anymore. We don't need noice ordinances cutting bands off at 10pm on a friday, and for a few hours once a year I think we can deal with some drinkers.

It's not matter of catering to the elderly.

It's a matter of conducting oneself with a little self-control and dignity and respect for one's fellow citizens.

Nobody has a problem dealing with drinkers...as long as they do so responsibly.

There's no reason to act like animals, pee in the street and endanger other people by throwing bottles off of buildings.

Well I am in my mid 20's and live downtown and think that 10pm is late enough for the rest of us downtown to have to deal with the noise. I like to have fun, but we need to respect the people who live in the area. Downtown Binghamton is not a party ground, i would kick all the bars out of downtown if I had my way, but that wont happen, so there needs to be lots of rules about stupid actions like drinking in pubic, and I hope our police can get out of their cars, and give out lots of tickets. The more the better during the parade, then maybe people will get the idea about how to act in public.

Guest BC Voice of Reason
It's not matter of catering to the elderly.

It's a matter of conducting oneself with a little self-control and dignity and respect for one's fellow citizens.

Nobody has a problem dealing with drinkers...as long as they do so responsibly.

There's no reason to act like animals, pee in the street and endanger other people by throwing bottles off of buildings.

I was in the epicenter of the drunken crowd last year and saw none of that. I didn't see any fights, I didn't see anyone throw anything from the rooftops, and I didn't see anyone "pee in the street". I'm willing to bet you didn't see it happen either. No reason to try and ruin everyone else's fun because you heard some misinformed rumors. You can have the 27 other yearly Binghamton parades, just let the people have their fun for one afternoon, at this one parade, at the mentioned locations and everyone will be happy.

Guest BC Voice of Reason
Well I am in my mid 20's and live downtown and think that 10pm is late enough for the rest of us downtown to have to deal with the noise. I like to have fun, but we need to respect the people who live in the area. Downtown Binghamton is not a party ground, i would kick all the bars out of downtown if I had my way, but that wont happen, so there needs to be lots of rules about stupid actions like drinking in pubic, and I hope our police can get out of their cars, and give out lots of tickets. The more the better during the parade, then maybe people will get the idea about how to act in public.

So basically you'd like downtown to be a ghost town.

I was in the epicenter of the drunken crowd last year and saw none of that. I didn't see any fights, I didn't see anyone throw anything from the rooftops, and I didn't see anyone "pee in the street". I'm willing to bet you didn't see it happen either. No reason to try and ruin everyone else's fun because you heard some misinformed rumors. You can have the 27 other yearly Binghamton parades, just let the people have their fun at the mentioned locations and everyone will be happy.

I agree. I've been going to the parade for over 15 years, and drinking too, and I have NEVER seen any of the "abuses" mentioned by the complainers. Time to let people have fun for a few hours, heaven forbid.

Guest BC Voice of Reason
How about you just enjoy the parade and dont drink?

Why do you care so much? I am not a nuisance and I don't drive afterwards. I go there with some friends to drink some beers and have a good time. Watching a St. Patrick's Day Parade without beer, would be like going fishing without bringing a pole. The two go hand in hand.

Why do you care so much? I am not a nuisance and I don't drive afterwards. I go there with some friends to drink some beers and have a good time. Watching a St. Patrick's Day Parade without beer, would be like going fishing without bringing a pole. The two go hand in hand.

I've agreed spot on with everything you've said on here. Well said. People have fun at the parade and like to party. 99% are there for a good time, mean well and are in control. Myself and hundered others included. It's one freeking day of the year yet they act as if it's Mardis Gras redux in Binghamton 24-7 around here. If these people think our parade is bad with out of control drinking, they should go down to the one in Scranton. Much bigger and WAYYYYYYYYYYY more drinking. Yet it goes on year after year and very few complaints and incidents if any. I frimly belive the non-partiers are either jealous they can't participate and feel the need to be bitter about it and/or just need something to complain about.

See ya on the 1st, beer in hand at the corner of Main and Front St and then d'town afterward.

I wonder if Jack Sheehan goes to the Scranton parade??

I was in the epicenter of the drunken crowd last year and saw none of that. I didn't see any fights, I didn't see anyone throw anything from the rooftops, and I didn't see anyone "pee in the street". I'm willing to bet you didn't see it happen either. No reason to try and ruin everyone else's fun because you heard some misinformed rumors. You can have the 27 other yearly Binghamton parades, just let the people have their fun for one afternoon, at this one parade, at the mentioned locations and everyone will be happy.

So this means it didn't happen????

Right.

Yeah, it couldn't have happened somewhere else besides the "epicenter", could it?

Then obviously, you're not the problem.

That doesn't mean there isn't one.

Archived