St. Patrick's Day Parade March 1st

Cat's Eye

I think the parade backlash from last year was ridiculous. God forbid anyone have any fun in this town. If you have children and don't want them seeing people having fun then don't take them to the corner of Main and Front. It's that simple.

i Agree..don't take the kids at that end..and it is the spoiled rotten rich BU students who did most of the damage..don't their parents teach them anything..I am all for having a good time too..and drink if you want also..but not so much you fall down and throw bottles in the road when there are garbage cans right behind you..that is what we saw last year..they couldn't walk their rich asses over to the can to toss it in..spoiled..

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply
#1 - you say "don't stand next to a large group of kids drinking"....why are 'kids' (your words) drinking??....isn't it illegal for kids (less then 21 years of age) to be drinking?

#2 - "I don't know how much clearer I can make it" ...you state that (and the previous line) like you own the city and make the rules. Isn't there a law regarding open containers???. Isn't it ILLEGAL to have an open container on the street???

#3 - "MOST were well behaved"....most???....MOST???..I walked past that MOB and most were NOT well behaved and I also walked past after the 'well behaved mob' left and saw the disgusting mess they left behind.

If they were well behaved then they would have been taught as a child by decent parents to never leave trash in the street and to not leave their garbage on the ground, carry in, carry out....sure blame the city for not having enough garbage cans.....the city DID NOT expect all those people to be drinking on the street, they should have been in the bar.

#4 - since when do they HAVE TO DRINK alcoholic beverages to have a good time...?? Why can't they not drink like the rest of the normal people at the parade and still have a good time..??

And no I not an anti-drinker, I drink beer too. But I do not stand in a public street in front families, kids and children in strollers yelling, swearing and leaving garbage all over acting like drunken idiots. That is NOT what a St Patrick's Parade is all about, and if you think it is you need therapy.

WHAT..THAT ISN'T WHAT THE ST. PATTIES DAY PARADE IS ALL ABOUT..YOU MUST NOT BE IRISH...DRINK DRINK DRINK TILL YA PUKE..THAT IS WHAT THE IRISH DO.. AND IF YOU CAN'T TAKE IT DON'T GO

If puking on your shoes and breaking glass bottles and urinating on the street where kids can see you is your idea of fun, you need to get evaluated by a substance abuse rehab counselor.

Now.

Why bother Voice of Reason. I like watching all the losers on here get all worked up over drinking at the parade. Most likely the same people that sit home alone Saturday nights listening to their scanners and peering out their shades, worrying about what everyone else is doing instead of worrying about themselves.

#1 - you say "don't stand next to a large group of kids drinking"....why are 'kids' (your words) drinking??....isn't it illegal for kids (less then 21 years of age) to be drinking?

#2 - "I don't know how much clearer I can make it" ...you state that (and the previous line) like you own the city and make the rules. Isn't there a law regarding open containers???. Isn't it ILLEGAL to have an open container on the street???

#3 - "MOST were well behaved"....most???....MOST???..I walked past that MOB and most were NOT well behaved and I also walked past after the 'well behaved mob' left and saw the disgusting mess they left behind.

If they were well behaved then they would have been taught as a child by decent parents to never leave trash in the street and to not leave their garbage on the ground, carry in, carry out....sure blame the city for not having enough garbage cans.....the city DID NOT expect all those people to be drinking on the street, they should have been in the bar.

#4 - since when do they HAVE TO DRINK alcoholic beverages to have a good time...?? Why can't they not drink like the rest of the normal people at the parade and still have a good time..??

And no I not an anti-drinker, I drink beer too. But I do not stand in a public street in front families, kids and children in strollers yelling, swearing and leaving garbage all over acting like drunken idiots. That is NOT what a St Patrick's Parade is all about, and if you think it is you need therapy.

WHAT..THAT ISN'T WHAT THE ST. PATTIES DAY PARADE IS ALL ABOUT..YOU MUST NOT BE IRISH...DRINK DRINK DRINK TILL YA PUKE..THAT IS WHAT THE IRISH DO.. AND IF YOU CAN'T TAKE IT DON'T GO

"That is NOT what a St Patrick's Parade is all about, and if you think it is you need therapy."

There's many Irish-Americans that need therapy then...myself included. I bet you aren't even Irish.

"In many cities and towns, all over the world, with an Irish population, St. Patrick's Day is a day to party! The people of Ireland often attend church in the morning and then get together and party in the afternoon. "

Guest BC Voice of Reason
What about people....women and children who participate in the parade...marching, walking sitting on floats, etc..who have to proceed by that corner and be subjected to vulgarity, rude and indecent comments and all kinds of profanity coming from the drunken animals?

Should we bar them from participating in the parade just so you undisciplined, disrespectful drunks can have your fun filling your gills and peeing and puking yourselves silly?

You think it was only guys drinking at the parade? :lol: Plenty of woman were drinking and having a good time as well. As for the poor innocent children subjected to the errant howling of the drunken animals. May I suggest you outfit them with blindfolds and earplugs prior to the parade. Then when you get them home you can put the little babies back in their protective mylar bubbles.

#1 - Kids, meaning that the person I responded to had to be an 80 year old curmudgeon; therefore, anyone under the age of 40 is a kid.

#2 - Yes, and this is one of the few times, if not the only time, in the entire year that the law gets rightfully overlooked. It has been that way for years and everyone was fine with it. Did you know that it's illegal to eat peanuts and walk backwards during a concert in Greene? It's true: http://www.dumblaws.com/laws/united-states/new-york How often do you think that's enforced?

#3 - Most were well behaved and having a good time. I cannot vouch for every single person at the event, and I'm sure there were isolated incidents of flagrant peeing. Throw up a couple port-a-johns and you'll probably solve most of that problem.

As I said, the couple of trash cans they had around were overflowing. They should have had more receptacles out and it would have been a much smaller problem.

#4 - This is the St. Patrick's Day parade, not the Columbus Day parade. As I said, beer and St. Patrick's Day go hand in hand. You remove beer from this event and you have one lameass parade. Good luck getting a single pipe band to come out for it.

If you see a group of 100-150 "kids" yelling, partying, and having a good time in one localized area, don't you think it would be smart for the parents to wheel their strollers out of earshot? The parade route is not 50 feet long, there are plenty of spots to set up your lawn chair and enjoy the parade how you see fit, without complaining about all the anarchy that didn't happen.

#1 - you wrote KIDS, how did you KNOW it was an eighty year old person, just because you said so???

#2 - doesn't make it legal....it is ILLEGAL to posses an open container and they better be enforcing it this year.

#3 - I did not see many well behaved at the Main/Court/Front street corner

#4 - no one is saying to REMOVE the beer, it just does NOT belong on the street, as it also does not belong in the hands of uniformed firemen and policemen marching in the parade or walking back along the sidewalk, that shows a very poor example to the kids

- yeah it would be a good idea for the parents to avoid that area but when that area is in the middle of the parade, almost completely blocking the street so the parade has a tough time getting thru, then how can the parents avoind them if they need to walk by....

sorry you are wrong, the drunken IDIOTS DO NOT belong on the street 'having a good time'....

#1 - you wrote KIDS, how did you KNOW it was an eighty year old person, just because you said so???

#2 - doesn't make it legal....it is ILLEGAL to posses an open container and they better be enforcing it this year.

#4 - no one is saying to REMOVE the beer, it just does NOT belong on the street, as it also does not belong in the hands of uniformed firemen and policemen marching in the parade or walking back along the sidewalk, that shows a very poor example to the kids

- yeah it would be a good idea for the parents to avoid that area but when that area is in the middle of the parade, almost completely blocking the street so the parade has a tough time getting thru, then how can the parents avoind them if they need to walk by....

sorry you are wrong, the drunken IDIOTS DO NOT belong on the street 'having a good time'....

I'd rather be a drunken idiot than a sober idiot....and no I'm not wrong.

Guest BC Voice of Reason

"Drunken idiots" as you call them are as much a part of St. Patrick's day as shamrocks and the color green. Deal with it.

I think it is time to stop having the parade. All people want to do is get drunk, so just go to the bars that day and get drunk, then we wont have to move our cars off the street, and pick up trash for a month afterwards, and deal with crazy people all night long. I actually leave the city and go out of town for the weekend around this parade, because I cant stand to be around people who have no respect for the city. They just come and use it as a dumping ground for their empty beer cans. How about this, the day after the parade, all the same people who want to drink all over the place come back downtown and spend a few hours picking up litter on main street. If it is ok to come and throw your s**t all over the place, then it should be ok to come and pick it up. If you all are willing to do that, I would be right beside you helping. It is time for people around here to grow up and be responsible for their actions.

BC Voice of Reason and Guy Guestinger: I did witness first hand people peeing in doorways on Court St., puking on the sidewalk, tons of bottles being thrown all over the sidewalk and breaking into little glass shards, and one guy walk straight up to a window at The Old World Deli and bash it with his fist for absolutely no reason at all. A lot of this happened during and right after the parade. The partying only gets worse as the day turns to night and people get drunker and drunker. I'm sure you guys are probably responsible drinkers like you've said, but I hope you can encourage anyone you see acting out of control to stop and get themselves together. It's just a few bad apples that ruined the whole event. Don't let them do it again.

You witnessed TONS of bottles being thrown all over the sidewalk. Sure you did. We believe you, especially when you exaggerate. Any idea how many bottle would make up one tomn, let alone ton's... with a "s".

This coming from the same person that in other posts thinks she is identifying herself becasue she is registered. I just checked the phone book. There is no Cat's Eye in it... Hmmmm.... you've ideniified yourself about as much as "Guest" has.

I think it is time to stop having the parade. All people want to do is get drunk, so just go to the bars that day and get drunk, then we wont have to move our cars off the street, and pick up trash for a month afterwards, and deal with crazy people all night long. I actually leave the city and go out of town for the weekend around this parade, because I cant stand to be around people who have no respect for the city. They just come and use it as a dumping ground for their empty beer cans. How about this, the day after the parade, all the same people who want to drink all over the place come back downtown and spend a few hours picking up litter on main street. If it is ok to come and throw your s**t all over the place, then it should be ok to come and pick it up. If you all are willing to do that, I would be right beside you helping. It is time for people around here to grow up and be responsible for their actions.

I'd be too hung over the next day to help, but I would gladly pitch in for the cost of clean up...what was it last year $800?

BTW it's not just drunk people littering...how about those bastards smoking around their kids and then throwing the butts on the ground!! Right next to a garbage can!! They should ban smoking at the parade...it has nothing to do with St. patrick's Day...and those poor people in the parade that have to march through the cloud of toxic cigarette smoke. How about the people throwing the candy everywhere...WTF ? Who is going to clean that up...those kids don't catch all of it.

I'd be too hung over the next day to help, but I would gladly pitch in for the cost of clean up...what was it last year $800?

BTW it's not just drunk people littering...how about those bastards smoking around their kids and then throwing the butts on the ground!! Right next to a garbage can!! They should ban smoking at the parade...it has nothing to do with St. patrick's Day...and those poor people in the parade that have to march through the cloud of toxic cigarette smoke. How about the people throwing the candy everywhere...WTF ? Who is going to clean that up...those kids don't catch all of it.

Name me ONE parade that doesn't have refuse on the ground after it. Go ahead, name one. Parade day is a day to let your hair down, plain and simple. If people continue to complain, then split the parade route into two sections: the family section and the rowdy section. If we stop the parade and all the fun that it brings, then it's just one more nail in Binghamton's coffin, and people will file down to Scranton for their parade. 'Nuff said.

Excessive garbage isnt, OUT OF CONTROL.. its excessive garbage. Everyone can take part in st patricks parade. even young people imbibing a frosty beverage. parents should have the intellect to not reside outside a bar full of revelers with their children. and the cost for cleanup is minor, compared to the $$$ local vendors are bringing in. If you want to see garbage, NYC parade will bring us back to reality as far as excessive goes...

If people continue to complain, then split the parade route into two sections: the family section and the rowdy section.

Actually, I did hear that this is sort of going to be the case. State St. will be blocked off with baricades and will be an area where open containers are allowed, while the rest of the city will enforce the law about public drinking. The bars on State St. got a permit and major insurance to make this happen. I think this could really help our situation here. The other bars on Main St. won't be too happy about it because they'll want the same thing, but you have to draw the line somewhere.

What a bunch of CRAP!!

Last year, my family and I were at the corner of Washington and Court. BIG mistake. Apparently, there is a fraternity that resides in that vacinity. They were OBNOXIOUS. Not only were they yelling obscenities and walking out into the parade route, trying to shake hands with and talk to people actually marching in the parade, but they brought a couch and a keg right down on the sidewalk! I have never seen such a disrespectful group of people. They were spilling beer everywhere, bumping into families, and just making a spectacle of themselves. I can't believe anyone is trying to say that this stuff only happened in one small area at Front and Main Streets.

I'm all for having fun, but you also have to have respect for other people. There are laws, and they shouldn't get pushed aside just because it's a day of celebration. There is plenty of time to drink (before and) after the parade, and there are plenty of bars to do it in. Don't ruin the parade for the families who go to have a good time. They deserve it too.

You think it was only guys drinking at the parade? :lol: Plenty of woman were drinking and having a good time as well. As for the poor innocent children subjected to the errant howling of the drunken animals. May I suggest you outfit them with blindfolds and earplugs prior to the parade. Then when you get them home you can put the little babies back in their protective mylar bubbles.

Where did I say that only guys were drinking at the parade?

So what you're saying is that if I want to march in the parade with my children and my wife along with our Church organization or youth group, we all have to be willing to subject ourselves to your vulgarity and rude drunken behavior at the corner of Main and Front, just so you can have a a good time?

I don't think so, rumball.

Clearly...your booze consumption has fried your brain.

Guest Hornswagle
Where did I say that only guys were drinking at the parade?

So what you're saying is that if I want to march in the parade with my children and my wife along with our Church organization or youth group, we all have to be willing to subject ourselves to your vulgarity and rude drunken behavior at the corner of Main and Front, just so you can have a a good time?

I don't think so, rumball.

Clearly...your booze consumption has fried your brain.

Don't forget the raping and pillaging and unsolved murders that take place on that corner every year on parade day

RELAX YEEEEEESUS!

Again I say, It will be better to just stop having the stupid parade. Since we have st pats parade, why didnt we have one for presidents days, or memorial day or anything else with at least some meaning. Until I moved to this area, I never heard of having a parade for St Pats day. I would prefer to be able to actually enjoy my day downtown with some peace and quiet. I know, lets have the parade on Riverside Dr!!!

Ok, my friend...I'd suggest you keep planning those weekend getaways that

have been working for ya.

Pushing the end of the parade because YOU have no understanding of it is

totally unacceptable.

Not only that, but it sounds kinda troll-like to see someone post that they

"want their own day downtown w/ peace and quiet"...???

Ok, my friend...I'd suggest you keep planning those weekend getaways that

have been working for ya.

Pushing the end of the parade because YOU have no understanding of it is

totally unacceptable.

Not only that, but it sounds kinda troll-like to see someone post that they

"want their own day downtown w/ peace and quiet"...???

Ok so lets see, you want professional young people to move into downtown, but then they have to put up with stupid parades just so the scum of binghamton can come out and drink themselves into a stupor. I understand the meaning of the parade, it is a thing of the past. Everyone here wants to live 20 years ago when this was the only thing going on around here. Well, people grow up. People around here cant seem to control themselves at this parade, so shut it down. I still say move it to Riverside dr and see how long the parade lasts, I bet it would be over in a heart beat. Maybe this year I will make a float for the parade promoting the end of this long gone tradition. The only reason this parade still exists is because the bars on state street make way to much money off of it. Oh and that crap bar on the corner of front and main. Watch for me, I will be carrying the sign that says "NO MORE DRUNKEN PARADE!"

Yea, i was at the parade across from Fitzies. Nothing happened like the idiots on here talked about. This is disgusting, people exaggerated on what happened. It is st patty's day parade, have some fun and loosen up. People should be glad we have such a good parade in this small town. Go to a bigger city and see what happens, get outta town and see the big picture and see alot of drinking. Some of you people probably have never gotten out of bingo town.

Guest irishalltheway
Ok so lets see, you want professional young people to move into downtown, but then they have to put up with stupid parades just so the scum of binghamton can come out and drink themselves into a stupor. I understand the meaning of the parade, it is a thing of the past. Everyone here wants to live 20 years ago when this was the only thing going on around here. Well, people grow up. People around here cant seem to control themselves at this parade, so shut it down. I still say move it to Riverside dr and see how long the parade lasts, I bet it would be over in a heart beat. Maybe this year I will make a float for the parade promoting the end of this long gone tradition. The only reason this parade still exists is because the bars on state street make way to much money off of it. Oh and that crap bar on the corner of front and main. Watch for me, I will be carrying the sign that says "NO MORE DRUNKEN PARADE!"
you dont get out much... lets have it at your house... or hut...

you dont get out much... lets have it at your house... or hut...

For quite a few weeks a year (about 24 or so) I work out of town in a much bigger area then Binghamton, and people know how to conduct themselves , so to say I dont get out much would be wrong. Sorry I was raised with standards and respect for others. When I go out and drink, I know my limit and stay within it, and I dont believe just because a parade is coming thru town that it gives me the right to be a drunken idiot in public. If people in this area would have a little respect for themselves and for others around them, then maybe we could have a decent parade. But that will never happen here.

Archived