St. Patrick's Day Parade March 1st

Cat's Eye

I think it is time to stop having the parade. All people want to do is get drunk, so just go to the bars that day and get drunk, then we wont have to move our cars off the street, and pick up trash for a month afterwards, and deal with crazy people all night long. I actually leave the city and go out of town for the weekend around this parade, because I cant stand to be around people who have no respect for the city. They just come and use it as a dumping ground for their empty beer cans. How about this, the day after the parade, all the same people who want to drink all over the place come back downtown and spend a few hours picking up litter on main street. If it is ok to come and throw your s**t all over the place, then it should be ok to come and pick it up. If you all are willing to do that, I would be right beside you helping. It is time for people around here to grow up and be responsible for their actions.
YOU think its time... YOU do... ALL PEOPLE want to do is get drunk??? WHAT should ANYONE do... PLEASE enlighten US with your wealth of knowledge. This happens once a year. 800.00 dollars in garbage. Have you ever gone to a GIANTS game in NJ... Have you ever been out of town to ANY big event. 800.00 dollars... maybe i can donate my 600.00 rebate republican check to the city, and it'll only be 200.00 to pick up... i dont live in binghamton, but that parade is the only reason i go downtown...

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply
you dont get out much... lets have it at your house... or hut...

And Also irishalltheway I have quite a few parties at my house (and I think my place is much nicer then a hut), and guess what, all my friends know how to act responsible and we have a great time. So if you want to come over, and see what a good time is all about.

YOU think its time... YOU do... ALL PEOPLE want to do is get drunk??? WHAT should ANYONE do... PLEASE enlighten US with your wealth of knowledge. This happens once a year. 800.00 dollars in garbage. Have you ever gone to a GIANTS game in NJ... Have you ever been out of town to ANY big event. 800.00 dollars... maybe i can donate my 600.00 rebate republican check to the city, and it'll only be 200.00 to pick up... i dont live in binghamton, but that parade is the only reason i go downtown...

If the only reason you come downtown is to drink and act stupid.......then stay home. We dont want you

Thanks

Guest BC Voice of Reason
Where did I say that only guys were drinking at the parade?

So what you're saying is that if I want to march in the parade with my children and my wife along with our Church organization or youth group, we all have to be willing to subject ourselves to your vulgarity and rude drunken behavior at the corner of Main and Front, just so you can have a a good time?

I don't think so, rumball.

Clearly...your booze consumption has fried your brain.

In another post you said this:

What about people....women and children who participate in the parade...

Like the poor innocent women have never heard or seen such behavior. But thanks for making your agenda perfectly clear. You religious fanatics are all the same. I wonder what your god and church would think of you calling people names?

Guest BC Voice of Reason
Watch for me, I will be carrying the sign that says "NO MORE DRUNKEN PARADE!"

Watch for me, I will be urinating in your general direction.

Guest BC Voice of Reason
For quite a few weeks a year (about 24 or so) I work out of town in a much bigger area then Binghamton, and people know how to conduct themselves , so to say I dont get out much would be wrong. Sorry I was raised with standards and respect for others. When I go out and drink, I know my limit and stay within it, and I dont believe just because a parade is coming thru town that it gives me the right to be a drunken idiot in public. If people in this area would have a little respect for themselves and for others around them, then maybe we could have a decent parade. But that will never happen here.

Yes, Binghamton is the only city in the United States where people get drunk at a St. Patrick's day parade. What planet did you come from? :blink:

Guest BC Voice of Reason
BC Voice....just so you know....I do not object to this parade based on any moral or religious level. For me it is a quality of life issue. I dont want to live in the middle of this party that has no meaning or purpose.

Then you should have thought of that before you moved downtown.

BC Voice....just so you know....I do not object to this parade based on any moral or religious level. For me it is a quality of life issue. I dont want to live in the middle of this party that has no meaning or purpose.

Do you complain this much over the Itailian fest after the Columbus Day parade? Because that has no meaning for me but I let them have their day without complaining.

"i'll be the one peeing in your general direction"

you stole my thoughts, BC Voice of Reason.......

if you dont like the parade, stay out of the city on that day. it honestly doesnt get any easier.

Heaven forbid anyone in Binghamton have any fun without someone getting their panties in a bunch.

Whats next, are you going to protest the Speidie Fest?

Guest BC Voice of Reason
Thats a wonderful thing to tell people as you beg people to live downtown again. I hope you arent working in marketing.

No, I'm telling YOU that because YOU are the one complaining about it. I am sure there are people that live downtown that actually enjoy the parade and not have to find parking. All you do is complain about the bars and parade. Well guess what, it was your choice to move downtown, where all this stuff happens. Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it's going away anytime soon. Either get used to it or get lost.

Do you complain this much over the Itailian fest after the Columbus Day parade? Because that has no meaning for me but I let them have their day without complaining.

I never even heard of this event. I wish I did know, I would of went. At the end of the day, talking on bcvoice is not going to change anything about this event. So I just hope people respect the laws and everyone has fun however you feel best to do it.

Young Binghamton, your first comment is way off. You are not taking a stand because I hope you haven't lived here this long, but it is a St. Patty's parade, if you can't deal with it, then i guess you shouldn't live downtown. Things on here get extremely blown out of proportion, including last year's parade. If people can't deal, friggin stay home. Only in binghamton would people blow out of proportion. Maybe you should, it is good time.

Again I say, It will be better to just stop having the stupid parade. Since we have st pats parade, why didnt we have one for presidents days, or memorial day or anything else with at least some meaning. Until I moved to this area, I never heard of having a parade for St Pats day. I would prefer to be able to actually enjoy my day downtown with some peace and quiet. I know, lets have the parade on Riverside Dr!!!

Any city in the Northeast with a decent sized irish pupulation has a parade. That's why Binghamton's is so early, to make it possible for bagpipers and others to attend.

People aren't peeing in the street, falling down drunk and screaming vulgarities at the Italian Fest.

In another post you said this:

Like the poor innocent women have never heard or seen such behavior. But thanks for making your agenda perfectly clear. You religious fanatics are all the same. I wonder what your god and church would think of you calling people names?

It's not a religious issue...and I'm not a "religious fanatic"....I just used it as an example...but there are religious organizations that march in the parade....as well as youth groups...the parade itself is sponsored and organized by the AOH..an organization with a rich cultural and religious background...the parde is held in honor of St. Patrick...the Patron St. of Ireland.

I've witnessed drunken idiots harassing people marching in the parade when they've stopped at that corner.

It's rude and unnecessary.

You clearly suffer from a case of arrested development.

I never even heard of this event. I wish I did know, I would of went. At the end of the day, talking on bcvoice is not going to change anything about this event. So I just hope people respect the laws and everyone has fun however you feel best to do it.

I've been with drunk Italians at the Columbus parade and at the St. Anthony's Bazaar. It isn't just parade day. Get out of the city when parade day comes. Go somewhere and lament to people who actually want to hear you complain. We'll make sure to take pics and post them here so you can see the fun you missed, simpleton.

I find it ironic that here on BCV I can find one thread in which a lot of people are saying "Back off! Give us our one day a year (right....) to parade down the street or stand on the sidewalk, drink like fish and act like brain dead drunken idiots. If you don't like it, stay away or move away" and another in which posters are totally trashing Carol Wilber for being an alcoholic who deserted her kids, one of whom is now dead.

You can't have it both ways. If you're going to promote uncontrolled drinking, you have to expect a degree of alcoholism and the devastation to families and our society that comes with it.

No, not everyone who drinks becomes an alcoholic. But there are millions of alcoholics in the US who dont' know they are. Most of them have jobs, families, homes, etc. and are seemingly functional people.

I could care less.

Someone attempting to make a connection about a St Patrick's Day Parade, and an alcoholic mother of a tragically dead 12 yr old should just plain give it a rest.

One is a scumbag, violent, no-account welfare turd with no regard for anyone but herself and her "needs" (drugs, drink, etc). The other is people drinking for a few hours downtown. There is NO connection. I agree with 2pelo.

Archived