St. Patrick's Day Parade March 1st

Cat's Eye

BC Voice of Reason and Guy Guestinger: I did witness first hand people peeing in doorways on Court St., puking on the sidewalk, tons of bottles being thrown all over the sidewalk and breaking into little glass shards, and one guy walk straight up to a window at The Old World Deli and bash it with his fist for absolutely no reason at all. A lot of this happened during and right after the parade. The partying only gets worse as the day turns to night and people get drunker and drunker. I'm sure you guys are probably responsible drinkers like you've said, but I hope you can encourage anyone you see acting out of control to stop and get themselves together. It's just a few bad apples that ruined the whole event. Don't let them do it again.

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest police13

Sorry the police cant issue lots of open container tickets. There is only 12 cops working in a shift. If a open container arrest takes an hour to process there will be no cops on the street.

Sorry the police cant issue lots of open container tickets. There is only 12 cops working in a shift. If a open container arrest takes an hour to process there will be no cops on the street.

Why do you have to make an arrest? Why not just tell the person to dump their drink in the gutter in front of you and issue them a ticket? I would think that would be a lot faster and more effective for everyone.

Last year the uproar was caused by two of BCVoice's favorite people, Tony Russell of WNBF, and Marypat Hyland, formerly of the Press and Sun Bulletin.

While last years offenses may have been worse than usual, open container has become the norm at the Parade for the past decade. By "looking the other way" for all these years, the problem has escalated.

And, It's not just the college-aged-crowd who partakes in the shenanigans. I've spoken to several police and firemen who march in the parade. They admit the biggest challenge of the day is trying to make it to the end of the parade route without having to stop and urinate.

Typical Binghamton....DELETED and moan about one day of the year and embellish fables about the drinking that goes on. Been to the parade numerous times and it's not nearly as bad as the losers on here make it out to be. Not even close. I've seen Saturday nights on State St in the summer FAR worse than this. Heck I think that Pub Crawl is more out of control than Parade Day which also brings out all the winers too. I convinced the residents of this area are some of the most uptight folk in the land, that or they live in a cave the rest of the year and don't know what it's like to have fun or see others having fun. Stay home if it's so offensive and such a horrific sight.

Guest KellyGreen
I've agreed spot on with everything you've said on here. Well said. People have fun at the parade and like to party. 99% are there for a good time, mean well and are in control. Myself and hundered others included. It's one freeking day of the year yet they act as if it's Mardis Gras redux in Binghamton 24-7 around here. If these people think our parade is bad with out of control drinking, they should go down to the one in Scranton. Much bigger and WAYYYYYYYYYYY more drinking. Yet it goes on year after year and very few complaints and incidents if any. I frimly belive the non-partiers are either jealous they can't participate and feel the need to be bitter about it and/or just need something to complain about.

See ya on the 1st, beer in hand at the corner of Main and Front St and then d'town afterward.

I wonder if Jack Sheehan goes to the Scranton parade??

absolutely! party on! a few hours out of the whole year, who cares? just don't drive, stop somewhere and eat your face off at a cabbage bar. Long live the "2-weeks-early-St-Patty's-Day-Parade"

Guest police13

You would just issue a ticket but then you have to go inside and do the information and other paperwork for the courts. And then what happens when you end up fighting with a group of drunks for a simple open container arrest? Now you will have numerous cops off the street and inside doing the paperwork. The shift Im sure is already working shorthanded and god forbid something serious happens then you only have a couple of cops out there.

I was in the epicenter of the drunken crowd last year and saw none of that. I didn't see any fights, I didn't see anyone throw anything from the rooftops, and I didn't see anyone "pee in the street". I'm willing to bet you didn't see it happen either. No reason to try and ruin everyone else's fun because you heard some misinformed rumors. You can have the 27 other yearly Binghamton parades, just let the people have their fun for one afternoon, at this one parade, at the mentioned locations and everyone will be happy.

You'd lose that bet, Chief.

Don't call me Chief again or you'll be swallowing your teeth.

Another internet tough guy.

Your forearm muscles are so finely ripped from your typing...I find it so manly...so very sexy.

Let it go. Keep the Parade day the way it is. Otherwise it will be yet another reason for people to go somewhere else, if for only a day. I have been to the Scranton parade (exactly a week after the Binghamton parade each year) and it is 10 times worse than ours. But like a previous poster mentioned, nobody complains. They just deal with it. What ever happened to fortitude?

Typical Binghamton....DELETED and moan about one day of the year and embellish fables about the drinking that goes on. Been to the parade numerous times and it's not nearly as bad as the losers on here make it out to be. Not even close. I've seen Saturday nights on State St in the summer FAR worse than this. Heck I think that Pub Crawl is more out of control than Parade Day which also brings out all the winers too. I convinced the residents of this area are some of the most uptight folk in the land, that or they live in a cave the rest of the year and don't know what it's like to have fun or see others having fun. Stay home if it's so offensive and such a horrific sight.

If puking on your shoes and breaking glass bottles and urinating on the street where kids can see you is your idea of fun, you need to get evaluated by a substance abuse rehab counselor.

Now.

I thought that I would take some of my grandchildren to the Oswego HarborFest last year after hearing about it for so long. What a mistake that was. Drunkeness and vulgarity abounds during that week. I was afraid for my grandchildren with groups of stupid drunks picking fights with others on the street. The use of the swear words made them feel like tough guys. I realized that I had made a terrible mistake by thinking that the Harborfest was for everyone. I wrote them a letter after returning home telling them what I thought of them not monitoring the drinking and that it wasn't right to allow this while other families are trying to have a good time. In parallel, the St. Patrick's Day Parade in Binghamton should be monitored more closely because it really isn't a reason to get drunk and or stupid although some may argue that they are both mean the same thing.

Guest BC Voice of Reason
If puking on your shoes and breaking glass bottles and urinating on the street where kids can see you is your idea of fun, you need to get evaluated by a substance abuse rehab counselor.

Now.

Then don't stand next to a large group of kids that are drinking! I don't know how much clearer I can make it. You act like the entire city was overrun with a drunken mob that was pissing and puking on everything. There was a crowd of around 100-150 people at the corner of Front and Main. MOST were well behaved.

It was not anarchy or bedlam. It was people having a good time for a few hours on one day of the year. If you think this was bad, you don't get get out much. Period.

The only broken bottles I saw were near trash cans that were full. If the city had half a brain they'd put out extra trash cans in the areas where large groups of people are known to congregate prior to the parade.

Then don't stand next to a large group of kids that are drinking! I don't know how much clearer I can make it. You act like the entire city was overrun with a drunken mob that was pissing and puking on everything. There was a crowd of around 100-150 people at the corner of Front and Main. MOST were well behaved.

It was not anarchy or bedlam. It was people having a good time for a few hours on one day of the year. If you think this was bad, you don't get get out much. Period.

The only broken bottles I saw were near trash cans that were full. If the city had half a brain they'd put out extra trash cans in the areas where large groups of people are known to congregate prior to the parade.

I see your point. It's not possible for a "large group of kids" to move, so if I stand distant from them, me and my kids should be safe.

Thank you so much for that pointer.

Again, because you saw no problematic behavior, there was none. Thanks for clearing that up, too.

Guest BC Voice of Reason
I see your point. It's not possible for a "large group of kids" to move, so if I stand distant from them, me and my kids should be safe.

Again, because you saw no problematic behavior, there was none. Thanks for clearing that up, too.

Since it sounds like you have an ax to grind, and won't be happy until the parade is nothing more than a Normal Rockwell painting, I'd suggest staying home on March 1 and you won't have to fret about it.

Seems like you are looking for trouble. Everyone knows what corner the drinking occurs on. So why would you deliberately take your kids there? Then complain that the "Kids" should move? People like you are the problem.

Seems like you are looking for trouble. Everyone knows what corner the drinking occurs on. So why would you deliberately take your kids there? Then complain that the "Kids" should move? People like you are the problem.

What about people....women and children who participate in the parade...marching, walking sitting on floats, etc..who have to proceed by that corner and be subjected to vulgarity, rude and indecent comments and all kinds of profanity coming from the drunken animals?

Should we bar them from participating in the parade just so you undisciplined, disrespectful drunks can have your fun filling your gills and peeing and puking yourselves silly?

Guest A Taxpayer

#1 - you say "don't stand next to a large group of kids drinking"....why are 'kids' (your words) drinking??....isn't it illegal for kids (less then 21 years of age) to be drinking?

#2 - "I don't know how much clearer I can make it" ...you state that (and the previous line) like you own the city and make the rules. Isn't there a law regarding open containers???. Isn't it ILLEGAL to have an open container on the street???

#3 - "MOST were well behaved"....most???....MOST???..I walked past that MOB and most were NOT well behaved and I also walked past after the 'well behaved mob' left and saw the disgusting mess they left behind.

If they were well behaved then they would have been taught as a child by decent parents to never leave trash in the street and to not leave their garbage on the ground, carry in, carry out....sure blame the city for not having enough garbage cans.....the city DID NOT expect all those people to be drinking on the street, they should have been in the bar.

#4 - since when do they HAVE TO DRINK alcoholic beverages to have a good time...?? Why can't they not drink like the rest of the normal people at the parade and still have a good time..??

And no I not an anti-drinker, I drink beer too. But I do not stand in a public street in front families, kids and children in strollers yelling, swearing and leaving garbage all over acting like drunken idiots. That is NOT what a St Patrick's Parade is all about, and if you think it is you need therapy.

Guest BC Voice of Reason
#1 - you say "don't stand next to a large group of kids drinking"....why are 'kids' (your words) drinking??....isn't it illegal for kids (less then 21 years of age) to be drinking?

#2 - "I don't know how much clearer I can make it" ...you state that (and the previous line) like you own the city and make the rules. Isn't there a law regarding open containers???. Isn't it ILLEGAL to have an open container on the street???

#3 - "MOST were well behaved"....most???....MOST???..I walked past that MOB and most were NOT well behaved and I also walked past after the 'well behaved mob' left and saw the disgusting mess they left behind.

If they were well behaved then they would have been taught as a child by decent parents to never leave trash in the street and to not leave their garbage on the ground, carry in, carry out....sure blame the city for not having enough garbage cans.....the city DID NOT expect all those people to be drinking on the street, they should have been in the bar.

#4 - since when do they HAVE TO DRINK alcoholic beverages to have a good time...?? Why can't they not drink like the rest of the normal people at the parade and still have a good time..??

And no I not an anti-drinker, I drink beer too. But I do not stand in a public street in front families, kids and children in strollers yelling, swearing and leaving garbage all over acting like drunken idiots. That is NOT what a St Patrick's Parade is all about, and if you think it is you need therapy.

#1 - Kids, meaning that the person I responded to had to be an 80 year old curmudgeon; therefore, anyone under the age of 40 is a kid.

#2 - Yes, and this is one of the few times, if not the only time, in the entire year that the law gets rightfully overlooked. It has been that way for years and everyone was fine with it. Did you know that it's illegal to eat peanuts and walk backwards during a concert in Greene? It's true: http://www.dumblaws.com/laws/united-states/new-york How often do you think that's enforced?

#3 - Most were well behaved and having a good time. I cannot vouch for every single person at the event, and I'm sure there were isolated incidents of flagrant peeing. Throw up a couple port-a-johns and you'll probably solve most of that problem.

As I said, the couple of trash cans they had around were overflowing. They should have had more receptacles out and it would have been a much smaller problem.

#4 - This is the St. Patrick's Day parade, not the Columbus Day parade. As I said, beer and St. Patrick's Day go hand in hand. You remove beer from this event and you have one lameass parade. Good luck getting a single pipe band to come out for it.

If you see a group of 100-150 "kids" yelling, partying, and having a good time in one localized area, don't you think it would be smart for the parents to wheel their strollers out of earshot? The parade route is not 50 feet long, there are plenty of spots to set up your lawn chair and enjoy the parade how you see fit, without complaining about all the anarchy that didn't happen.

Archived