Breaking News - Port Dickinson Police Officer in Critical Condition

Guest Guest

Guest Guest

just wondering---seems like patrick has been a bartender for a while (he also works at callahan's and possibly another bar) i was wondering if he went to college or had any other skills--i mean, he cant continue to tend bar after rehab, right?

• Replies 339
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Guest
just wondering---seems like patrick has been a bartender for a while (he also works at callahan's and possibly another bar) i was wondering if he went to college or had any other skills--i mean, he cant continue to tend bar after rehab, right?

Not if he wants to stay sober he can't. After he gets out of jail, his PO would not allow him to even be inside a bar for any reason....wedding, party, go to the bathroom, etc.

Guest Guest
I've been to The Assembly of God and know that the Pastor there WAS a heroin addict for several years. He accepted Jesus as his Lord And Savior and hasn't touched a mind altering substance for 25 years. Never did he attend an AA meeting. I notice you mention God in an earlier post of your.... Have you ever asked Jesus to cure your addiction?

wow, now i get it. this is the reason the MIKE GANCE"S AND BOB SULLIVAN'S & ANDY HARRISON'S of the world flock to this guy. birds of a feather fly together. i never knew the attraction, but i do now.

Guest guest

I have been reading this thread since it started and have not make any comments but enough is enough. I think it is pretty sad that all of the sudden everyone has all these comments to make on this issue and they only come up when something like this happens. Hate is baggage and if you have enough of it, which some of you do, it makes life harder.

As someone who has known PF for years, I will not defend what he has done and he will pay for the terrible decision he has made. PF never drove and why he did on that day no one will every know. I also know PF family and they are good people who have been through alot the last couple on months. I think the comments that have been made about his family are AWFUL!!!!!

As far as the person who has talked about others in the community and ethnic backgrounds in this thread--- you have some major issues you are a hateful person and there is no use for your comments. This thread should be used for people to talk to each other as this is a sad time for many people and all this hate is not needed.

I feel for both families as I can not express in words how they must feel.

I have been reading this thread since it started and have not make any comments but enough is enough. I think it is pretty sad that all of the sudden everyone has all these comments to make on this issue and they only come up when something like this happens. Hate is baggage and if you have enough of it, which some of you do, it makes life harder.

As someone who has known PF for years, I will not defend what he has done and he will pay for the terrible decision he has made. PF never drove and why he did on that day no one will every know. I also know PF family and they are good people who have been through alot the last couple on months. I think the comments that have been made about his family are AWFUL!!!!!

As far as the person who has talked about others in the community and ethnic backgrounds in this thread--- you have some major issues you are a hateful person and there is no use for your comments. This thread should be used for people to talk to each other as this is a sad time for many people and all this hate is not needed.

Thank you!!

Guest concerned mother
Thank you!!

This will be turned over to a grand jury at which time I am sure more charges will be added. This is far from being over let's let the court and the jury deal with this. In the meantime let's say some prayers for Renee who has a tough road ahead of her and the Rossi family and friends.

Guest Guest

right, he never drove, but the first time he did, he killed a cop. that is like saying 'she never had sex before but the first time she did, she got pregnant" makes as much sense, don't you think?

Guest guest
right, he never drove, but the first time he did, he killed a cop. that is like saying 'she never had sex before but the first time she did, she got pregnant" makes as much sense, don't you think?

Like I said I was not defending what he did......he made a very stupid chose which has disrupted many people lives. No one is that knows PF is denying that.

Guest guest
Like I said I was not defending what he did......he made a very stupid chose which has disrupted many people lives. No one is that knows PF is denying that.

sorry last part is suppose to say---No one that knows PF is denying that

Guest Guest

Disrupted lives? Devastated, destroyed...ENDED lives. F him.

Guest Guest
Spoken like a "true" Christian. I've met members of your congregation. They must teach a form of Christianity that I'm not familiar with. Does this Church cure homosexuality as well?

So if you and Pastor are "recovered" as you call it, you can use or drink in moderation now?

What kind of stupid question is that?

If you want to discuss Christianity, recovered alcoholics or homosexuality- START ANOTHER THREAD!

Guest guest
Disrupted lives? Devastated, destroyed...ENDED lives. F him.

I am very aware of that , maybe "disrupted" is the wrong word---excuse me . Still no reason to be nasty or for "F him". You people are unreal..can you have a civil conversation

Guest Guest
Spoken like a "true" Christian. I've met members of your congregation. They must teach a form of Christianity that I'm not familiar with. Does this Church cure homosexuality as well?

So if you and Pastor are "recovered" as you call it, you can use or drink in moderation now?

To use in moderation won't and don't work? The church doesn't cure anything. God does.

STOCKTON GETS 6-MONTHS IN JAIL

By ANTHONY SYLOR

Staff Reporter

asylor@cortlandstandardnews.net

CORTLAND — A former city police officer was sentenced to six months in County Jail and five years of probation this morning in Cortland County Court for driving drunk and hitting and injuring two women, one of whom died two weeks later of her injuries.

County Court Judge Julie Campbell sentenced Jeffrey “Chip” Stockton, 38, of 16 Frank St., Cortland, to the jail term and ordered him to prepare a drunken driving presentation that he would give at every high school in the county.

He could have been sentenced to as many as seven years in state prison.

“The court is aware that Mr. Stockton did not leave the scene. He has accepted responsibility for what happened,” Campbell said. “This case in some ways shook the confidence and security we all had in our police officers to lead exemplary lives.”

Stockton pleaded guilty to second-degree vehicular manslaughter and second-degree vehicular assault, felonies; driving while intoxicated, a misdemeanor; and failure to exercise due care, a violation, on April 5 when he admitted to striking the two pedestrians — Lyn Briggs, and Melody Benn, both 55 and both of 65 Central Ave., Cortland.

The accident occurred Nov. 17 at the intersection of Central Avenue and Church Street. Briggs died two weeks after the crash, while Benn suffered life-threatening injuries.

About 60 people were present in court this morning for the sentencing, including friends and family of Stockton and the victims.

Briggs’ family, Benn and District Attorney David Hartnett all asked that Stockton be given state prison time for the crimes.

Hartnett asked the judge to impose a sentence of 2 to 6 years. He said Campbell should impose the sentence in order to send a message to the community.

“If the message is clear enough, people will listen,” he said. “There can be no other sentence from my perspective if you take the life of another.”

With Briggs’ daughter, Lisa Breed, standing next to her, Janet Sharpe — a friend of the family — read a statement Breed prepared.

In the statement, Breed told the court how the Briggs family suffered during the weeks after the crash, forced to choose between surgeries that would leave Briggs in a vegetative state or letting her mother die.

She described her mother as a person who loved life, helped people as a nurse and spent her free time gardening and writing poetry.

“I have been told that he was driving toward her and that she knew she was going to be hit,” Breed said in the statement. “She pushed Miss Benn out of the way and yelled her name.”

Benn also spoke at the sentencing, telling Campbell that she is still in constant physical and emotional pain, and that she suffers from visual impairments, memory loss and survivors’ guilt, among other ailments. She told Stockton that she forgives him for his reckless behavior but that he should receive prison time.

“I am grateful for you for stopping and calling the accident in. People say you are a good person and good people make mistakes,” she said. “I want you and your family to know that I forgive you.”

Stockton spoke briefly on his own behalf. He said he was sorry and that he wished he could take back the night of accident.

His attorney, Mark Suben, called him a “good but imperfect man.”

“There are no words that I can offer the Briggs family,” Stockton said. “I can only grant them one wish — I will live with this for the rest of my life.”

Stockton was a city police officer for seven years. He resigned from the force four days after Briggs died.

As part of the sentence, Stockton also is ordered to pay a total of $14,030 in restitution as well as another $1,500 in court fees. Stockton is out of jail without bail. Campbell released him after the proceedings and ordered him to appear at the County Jail on June 4 to start his jail term.

Stockton was indicted on the charges he pleaded guilty to, along with charges of second-degree manslaughter, a felony, and DWI with a blood-alcohol greater than 0.08 percent, a misdemeanor, in February. Hartnett dismissed those charges in exchange for Stockton’s guilty plea.

If a police officer drives drunk, kill someone, injures another and gets 6-mo's in jail, should PF get more? According to most people he should spend the rest of his days there. I would think that an officer of the law would know better?? Makes you think...

Guest guest

You can't compare cases. Do you live in Cortland? Do you know the judge? To anyone who read this obviously this man did not get a long enough sentence.

By ANTHONY SYLOR

Staff Reporter

CORTLAND — A former city police officer was sentenced to six months in County Jail and five years of probation this morning in Cortland County Court for driving drunk and hitting and injuring two women, one of whom died two weeks later of her injuries.

County Court Judge Julie Campbell sentenced Jeffrey “Chip” Stockton, 38, of 16 Frank St., Cortland, to the jail term and ordered him to prepare a drunken driving presentation that he would give at every high school in the county.

“The court is aware that Mr. Stockton did not leave the scene. He has accepted responsibility for what happened,” Campbell said. “This case in some ways shook the confidence and security we all had in our police officers to lead exemplary lives.”

Stockton pleaded guilty to second-degree vehicular manslaughter and second-degree vehicular assault, felonies; driving while intoxicated, a misdemeanor; and failure to exercise due care, a violation, on April 5 when he admitted to striking the two pedestrians — Lyn Briggs, and Melody Benn, both 55 and both of 65 Central Ave., Cortland.

The accident occurred Nov. 17 at the intersection of Central Avenue and Church Street. Briggs died two weeks after the crash, while Benn suffered life-threatening injuries.

About 60 people were present in court this morning for the sentencing, including friends and family of Stockton and the victims.

Briggs’ family, Benn and District Attorney David Hartnett all asked that Stockton be given state prison time for the crimes.

Hartnett asked the judge to impose a sentence of 2 to 6 years. He said Campbell should impose the sentence in order to send a message to the community.

“If the message is clear enough, people will listen,” he said. “There can be no other sentence from my perspective if you take the life of another.”

With Briggs’ daughter, Lisa Breed, standing next to her, Janet Sharpe — a friend of the family — read a statement Breed prepared.

In the statement, Breed told the court how the Briggs family suffered during the weeks after the crash, forced to choose between surgeries that would leave Briggs in a vegetative state or letting her mother die.

She described her mother as a person who loved life, helped people as a nurse and spent her free time gardening and writing poetry.

“I have been told that he was driving toward her and that she knew she was going to be hit,” Breed said in the statement. “She pushed Miss Benn out of the way and yelled her name.”

Benn also spoke at the sentencing, telling Campbell that she is still in constant physical and emotional pain, and that she suffers from visual impairments, memory loss and survivors’ guilt, among other ailments. She told Stockton that she forgives him for his reckless behavior but that he should receive prison time.

“I am grateful for you for stopping and calling the accident in. People say you are a good person and good people make mistakes,” she said. “I want you and your family to know that I forgive you.”

Stockton spoke briefly on his own behalf. He said he was sorry and that he wished he could take back the night of accident.

“There are no words that I can offer the Briggs family,” Stockton said. “I can only grant them one wish — I will live with this for the rest of my life.”

Stockton was a city police officer for seven years. He resigned from the force four days after Briggs died.

As part of the sentence, Stockton also is ordered to pay a total of $14,030 in restitution as well as another $1,500 in court fees. Stockton is out of jail without bail. Campbell released him after the proceedings and ordered him to appear at the County Jail on June 4 to start his jail term.

Stockton was indicted on the charges he pleaded guilty to, along with charges of second-degree manslaughter, a felony, and DWI with a blood-alcohol greater than 0.08 percent, a misdemeanor, in February. Hartnett dismissed those charges in exchange for Stockton’s guilty plea.

If a police officer drives drunk, kill someone, injures another and gets 6-mo's in jail, should PF get more? According to most people he should spend the rest of his days there. I would think that an officer of the law would know better?? Makes you think...

Guest Guest

why are they shutting down roads? Do they shut down roads when someone in the military dies and is buried? I'm not being sarcastic I'm just looking for info.

why are they shutting down roads? Do they shut down roads when someone in the military dies and is buried? I'm not being sarcastic I'm just looking for info.

Obvious answer to that question, don't ya think the roads should be shut down considering how many police vehicles are going to be there not to mention friends and family.

Guest Guest

By ANTHONY SYLOR

Staff Reporter

I agree. I am concerned that the emotionality of who this police officer is could cloud what a reasonable and CONSISTENT punishment would be. Aldo is no different than this poor woman or anyone else that dies in a dwi tragedy.

Guest Guest
You can't compare cases. Do you live in Cortland? Do you know the judge? To anyone who read this obviously this man did not get a long enough sentence.
Do I live in Cortland or know the judge? What a ridiculous question. This just proves your ignorance. A person that was drinking has been involved in a traffic accident which killed an individual. MY OPINION, ANYONE THAT GOES TO A BAR, CONSUMES ALCOHOL AND DRIVES AWAY HAS TE POTENTIAL TO KILL SOMEONE DUE TO ABILITY IMPAIRED. I HAVE FRIENDS THAT CAN HAVE ONE DRINK AND THEIR ABILITY WOULD BE IMPAIRED. We just use a legacy measurement criteria of alcohol in bloodstream to determine if the person is ok to drive. So, my point? if you consume alcohol, no matter how much, your ability is impaired. The FAA does not allow pilots to consume alcohol 8 hours prior to flying ..... why? So anyone that posts in this forum that has drove away from a bar after drinking has their ability impaired. They have an accident and blow .07 - whew, since it was not .08, the accident is just that, an accident. If you drink this article could be about you.

Guest Guest
I am very aware of that , maybe "disrupted" is the wrong word---excuse me . Still no reason to be nasty or for "F him". You people are unreal..can you have a civil conversation

You also said that Pat "never drove" which you know is a complete lie. I know PF very well also and I know for a fact he drove drunk quite often. Nobody who knows him will deny that. I agree with the entire rest of your post but Im not sure why would you put that its a straight up lie.

Guest Law guru
What judge set his bail, better yet what judge gave him the option of bail. Not much surprises me about the justice system but this did make my jaw drop.

What we want for bail is different than what the US Constitution let them do. No excessive bail!

Guest guest
You also said that Pat "never drove" which you know is a complete lie. I know PF very well also and I know for a fact he drove drunk quite often. Nobody who knows him will deny that. I agree with the entire rest of your post but Im not sure why would you put that its a straight up lie.

He rarely drove when he had drank...I have seen him call a cab or ask for a ride after drinking less. I know and you know the he and probably alot of the people we know have driven when they should not and just gotten lucky. Glad we can have a serious conversation about this and not be nasty to each other---I am not kidding. Everyone is going to have their own opinion but the one that is the same is that Pat will have to deal with this forever.

@

Archived