Breaking News - Port Dickinson Police Officer in Critical Condition

Guest Guest

• Replies 339
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Guest
I don't think there is much proving to do in this case.

You're right, but that hasn't stopped the outrageous excuse making and incredibly lame explanations from being offered from the drunken loser's amen corner.

You're right, but that hasn't stopped the outrageous excuse making and incredibly lame explanations from being offered from the drunken loser's amen corner.

Well, unfortunately you will have different opinions in every situation. The courts will decide the fate of this drunk driver, my point was that there won't be much of a defense in this case, Pat was drunk, he was driving and he did hit and kill Aldo. I would assume that who ever Pat's attorney is, they will try to make a deal in this case and take the least amount of jail time that the DA will offer.

@

Well, unfortunately you will have different opinions in every situation. The courts will decide the fate of this drunk driver, my point was that there won't be much of a defense in this case, Pat was drunk, he was driving and he did hit and kill Aldo. I would assume that who ever Pat's attorney is, they will try to make a deal in this case and take the least amount of jail time that the DA will offer.

@

I concur. There is no reason that this should ever go to trial. The man who committed the act was in blackout and would never be able to mount a defense.

Guest Guest

Went to the wake today, knew his whole family. Nothing you can do. Time will (might not in some cases) mend. Just drove by the crash sight tonight at 10PM. Big Al never had a chance. I was the only car on the dark road. Flashing lights he did not see, how could you not see. Impaired is why you do not see. Tomorrow will roll away as days go on, hearts and thoughts will go on as long as you do. God bless Big Al

I agree. I am concerned that the emotionality of who this police officer is could cloud what a reasonable and CONSISTENT punishment would be. Aldo is no different than this poor woman or anyone else that dies in a dwi tragedy.

I agree that Aldo and the women are no different

The real answer is the cop in Cortland should have got more time.

If you murder someone like he and Bones did, you should do ten years minimum, with a graduated sentence enhancement for higher BAC

@

Guest GUEST

When it rains it pours and opens doors

that flood the floors we thought would always

keep us safe and dry

And in the midst of sailing ships

we sink our lips into the ones we love

That have to say goodbye

And as I float along this ocean

I can feel you like a notion that won’t seem to let me go

Cause when I look to the sky

something tells me you’re here with me

And you make everything alright

And when I feel like I’m lost

And I can always find my way when you are here

And every word I didn’t say

that caught up in some busy day

And every dance on the kitchen floor

we didn’t have before

Every sunset that we’ll miss

I’ll wrap them all up in a kiss

Pick you up in all of this when I sail away

While I float upon this ocean

I can feel you like a notion that I hope will never leave

Cause when I look to the sky

And you make everything alright

When I feel like I’m lost

And I can always find my way

Whether I'm up or down or in or out

or just plain overhead

Instead it just feels like it is impossible to fly

But with you I can spread my wings

to see me over everything

that life may send me when I am hoping it won’t pass me by

When I feel like there is no one

that will ever know me

there you are to show me

When I look to the sky

You make everything alright

When I look to the sky

You make everything alright

@

Guest GUEST

700 attend funeral of Port Dickinson officer

By John Hill • Press & Sun-Bulletin • August 2, 2008

Read Comments(2)Recommend (1)Print this page E-mail this article

Share this article: Del.icio.us Facebook Digg Reddit Newsvine What’s this?

BINGHAMTON -- Under a gray sky, more than 200 law enforcement officers stood at attention Saturday morning while the only sound on Court Street was the faint whir of motorcycle engines -- the beginning of a procession carrying the body of Port Dickinson officer Aldo A. Rossi Jr.

Hundreds of friends, family and members of the law enforcement community joined together at St. Mary of the Assumption church and later at Calvary Cemetery in Johnson City to pay respects and bury one of their own.

Rossi, 42, a part-time Port Dickinson patrolman, was struck by an alleged drunken driver while waiting for crews to clear a downed tree early Sunday on Route 7 in the village. He was pronounced dead later that day.

A solemn motorcade from the Savage Funeral Home to the church was accompanied by bagpipers. Friends and family standing in front of the church wiped away tears as the first raps from snare drums could be heard.

Jerry Krissell, a member of the American Legion Riders of Susquehanna, Pa., stood with hands folded in front of his as the procession rolled past.

"It's a sad thing," said Krissell, clad in a red bandana and leather vest and jeans. "It's sad, it's a tragic thing."

Law enforcement officers from across upstate New York and northern Pennsylvania attended. Local police chiefs, Broome County Sheriff David E. Harder and elected officials from Binghamton Mayor Matthew T. Ryan to Broome County District Attorney Gerald Mollen were among the somber crowd.

The cluster of law enforcement officers serving as an honor guard stayed outside, listening to the liturgy through large speakers wrapped in rain-shielding plastic.

Inside the church, stuffy and crowded by about 500 people, there was no talk on Saturday of how Rossi died; only how he lived.

During his homily, the Rev. Daniel Caruso told mourners to grieve "not just by sharing Big Al stories, but by trying to live like him."

Rossi was caring, vibrant and generous, Caruso said. He sacrificed of himself to protect the community.

Caruso quoted from scripture, saying "There is no love greater than this; that a man give his life for a friend."

Rossi is the first member of the Port Dickinson Police Department to be killed and the first local line-of-duty death since Broome County Sheriff's Deputy Kevin Tarsia was gunned down July 4, 2002, while trying to apprehend men involved in the theft of guns and fireworks from a Pennsylvania business.

In connection with the crash that killed Rossi, Patrick "Bones" Fitzgerald, 30, of 1024 Center St., Town of Fenton, has been charged with second-degree vehicular assault, a felony, and driving while intoxicated, a misdemeanor. He was sent to Broome County Jail, but has since posted bail. Police believe Fitzgerald had been drinking for hours before the crash.

Rossi, owner of Budget Auto Glass in Binghamton, put himself through police academy at age 39 so he could start a second career in law enforcement. He served in Port Dickinson and Deposit.

During his reading of the "Prayer of the Faithful," Rossi's cousin, Tony Rando -- himself a Broome County corrections officer -- recognized the law enforcement officers who shared in the deceased's passion.

"For all public servants, who serve with respect and dignity" Rando said before looking up to the row of officers standing in back of the pews to drive the point home: "and I mean all of you."

Rossi's widow, Renee Rossi, walked alone to the lectern and unfolded a speech written before the service. She spoke in a clear and strong voice, her husband's casket between her and a large reproduction of the couple's wedding photo from January 2007.

"Not only were you my best friend," Renee Rossi said, "but also you were my hero."

As she spoke, a number of spectators could be heard crying.

Following her speech, the church played "When I Look to the Sky" by the band Train. The song, Caruso explained, was what Renee Rossi listened to while sitting in the hospital with her dying husband.

The sun broke through the clouds during the 70-minute-long service, and a bright blue sky accompanied more than 100 vehicles as they drove from the church to Calvary Cemetery.

The procession tied up traffic in the area, blocking roads and closing Route 201 south from Vestal to Johnson City. Fire engines, police cruisers, motorcycles and the vehicles of about 500 people made their way to the cemetery. Norwich Chief of Police Joseph Angelino said the goal was to "tie up traffic and inconvenience people, so they realize when something happens to one of us it happens to all of us."

At the cemetery, the crowd gathered in a half-circle around Rossi's flag-draped casket.

In salute of the fallen officer, three shots each exploded from the rifles of seven Broome County sheriff's deputies. Friends and family dabbed their eyes with tissues as a helicopter flew overhead, and a single trumpeter played taps.

Port Dickinson Police Chief Sean Crouse, who was one of Rossi's pallbearers, reflected on his colleague's death.

"This is what officers do," Crouse said, "putting their life on the line."

Guest GUEST

August 2, 2008Binghamton, NYNews

Weather

Sports

Features

YouNewsTV

Programming

Inside WBNG

Closings

Welcome HomeYour Health Matters TodayLocal & Regional

US & World

Business

Health

WBNG/WBXI Advertisers

CBS Political

DTV FAQs

Community

News LinksResurrecting Memories of Officer Aldo Rossi

YouNewsTV™Story Created: Aug 2, 2008 at 6:56 PM EDT

Story Updated: Aug 2, 2008 at 6:56 PM EDT

By WBNG News

Watch The Story The family of Aldo Rossi, Jr. says its final goodbyes.

His wife, Renee, spoke to the friends and fellow officers gathered in St. Mary's Church.

"I'm not quite sure right now why God has chose these two separate journey's for Aldo and I, but I know the love I have for him and the love he has for me, will continue to keep us together," said Renee Rossi.

Rossi died Sunday after he was hit by a drunk driver on Route 7.

He served part-time on the Port Dickinson and Deposit Police Departments.

He'll continue to share with others, even in his death.

Rossi was an organ donor.

"I gave him a kiss and sent him to continue saving lives, and I know that family that received my husband's heart will now know the true meaning of love," said Renee Rossi.

Rossi also ran a successful auto glass business.

Colleagues say he became a police officer because he wanted to, not because he had to.

It was his way to serve and protect the community.

Many knew him as "Big Al".

"As we honor his memory, we're going to try to keep it alive not just by sharing Big Al stories, but by trying to live like him," said Deacon John Stella, of Saint Mary's Church.

These police officers turned out in the hundreds.

Men and women who put their lives on the line when they put on the badge, watch on as they have to bury a brother.

A brother they say they will never forget.

Weather

Sports

Features

YouNewsTV

Programming

Inside WBNG

Closings

US & World

Business

Health

WBNG/WBXI Advertisers

CBS Political

DTV FAQs

Community

News LinksSaluting With Solidarity

YouNewsTV™Story Created: Aug 2, 2008 at 7:02 PM EDT

Story Updated: Aug 2, 2008 at 7:02 PM EDT

By WBNG News

Watch The Story A sense of solidarity for Officer Rossi touched a number of men and women.

Fellow law enforcement officials served as honor guards at the funeral.

Men and women from several different departments lined up outside St.

Mary's Church to salute Rossi as his casket passed.

His funeral procession began at Savage Funeral home in Binghamton.

Bagpipers led the procession down Court Street to the church.

More than 200 made up the motorcade.

Many of these police officers did not know Rossi personally.

But they still consider him a brother.

"We're police officers and it doesn't matter what badge you wear, what uniform you wear, it's...you're a police officer, and you're part of a family, a huge family," said Sgt. Jason Ellis, a Sergeant with the Broome County Sheriff's Office.

The officers all wore black bands across their badges as a sign of mourning for Rossi.

Weather

Sports

Features

YouNewsTV

Programming

Inside WBNG

Closings

US & World

Business

Health

WBNG/WBXI Advertisers

CBS Political

DTV FAQs

Community

News LinksRossi Laid To Rest

YouNewsTV™Story Created: Aug 2, 2008 at 7:08 PM EDT

Story Updated: Aug 2, 2008 at 7:08 PM EDT

By WBNG News

Watch The Story Aldo Rossi, Jr. was laid to rest at Calvary Cemetery in Johnson City.

Members of the Broome County Sheriff's department set off a 21 gun salute.

There was a ceremonial helicopter fly-over.

Hundreds of people joined on the hill of the cemetery.

Rossi's wife, Renee, was given an American flag.

It was draped across her husband's casket.

Rossi also leaves behind a father, a sister and 3 brothers.

Archived