Pet Squirrels

Sleepless in Hillcrest

One of my friends tell me there is a pet shop in Endicott, that sells squirrels as a pet. It's on their website!!!! How could you possibly sell a ravenous beast like this as a pet??? A rattlesnake maybe, but not a squirrel.

A rattlesnake? Now be cereal, Sleepless :rolleyes: Let's get back to dogs.

One of my friends tell me there is a pet shop in Endicott, that sells squirrels as a pet. It's on their website!!!! How could you possibly sell a ravenous beast like this as a pet??? A rattlesnake maybe, but not a squirrel.

Terroristic plot, I'm afraid.

A girl I know has 2 of them I think they are called tree squirrels. She tried to get me to hold one once I told her not in this life time.

Is it even legal to sell squirrels as pets in NYS?

I believe they are considered a wild animal and they could get fined for it.

While we're on it.... How many of you have red squirrels around??

Ya don't believe me...check their website out...forget the name of the place, but they are in Endicott!

The place is The Reptile Company. This is their website: http://www.thereptileco.com/

They have many, many exotic pets - the place is at 40 Washington Ave in Endicott... they have degus, grey chinchillas, all sorts of reptile things, tegus, and what is listed as baby Richardson Ground Squirrels. (haven't seen them yet, but sound interesting enough...

The place is USDA certified, so I doubt any of their pets are 'illegal' to sell. Just may want to check the local town codes where you live, as some have wierd laws regarding exotic pets and what you can or can't have depedning on the local town laws.

Guest Squirrely

They sell certain types of squirrels, not the wild eastern gray squirrels you see running around everywhere. One type of squirrel they sell is a Richardson's Ground Squirrel. It looks more like a prairie dog. (See here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richardson%27s_ground_squirrel) I saw one on their NewsChannel34 segment and it was so cute! I want one!! :wub:

That's the place! Believe me, squirrels are not our friends. They swoon you in with those puffy tails, and their cute little "tree" antics. Trust me, they are cold hearted killers. I had one go for the jugular vein on my pug, Linus. If Linus wasn't enriched in the "Eastern Arts" of self defence...he'd of been lost to us!

Guest Guest

OK.... So you want some kind of exotic gerbil or whatever. We've been witness to many animal cruelty cases across the country because people get animals they can't take care of *OR* stores offer for sale or even house animals that they are not certified to take care of.

So here's the crap that will get me in trouble....

Come Monday... Or sooner if I get ahold of him.... I am going to ask the NYSDOH to look into this store along with the NYS Dept.of Agriculture and Markets (just to make sure) for licenses and certificates. Sure some of you may love these little animals but the reason the criteria exists is to protect the animals and I for one am sick of the "Vicks" of the world and all that crap. Just because you can buy an animal does not make you an expert. There are way too many exotics that are being sold to people that within a short time may mean well but will end up burying the critter in the garden.

This has to stop.

I'm *REAL* serious when it comes to animal abuse.

(Oh, BTW - USDA don't mean crap.... Look at the recent beef recall !!!(Good job Fed ! Do you work for Al-Queda or what???))

That's the place! Believe me, squirrels are not our friends. They swoon you in with those puffy tails, and their cute little "tree" antics. Trust me, they are cold hearted killers. I had one go for the jugular vein on my pug, Linus. If Linus wasn't enriched in the "Eastern Arts" of self defence...he'd of been lost to us!

Hey Sleepless, don't let those puffy tails fool you one bit. Squirrels are actuall nothing but tasty rats.

OK.... So you want some kind of exotic gerbil or whatever. We've been witness to many animal cruelty cases across the country because people get animals they can't take care of *OR* stores offer for sale or even house animals that they are not certified to take care of.

Come Monday... Or sooner if I get ahold of him.... I am going to ask the NYSDOH to look into this store along with the NYS Dept.of Agriculture and Markets (just to make sure) for licenses and certificates. Sure some of you may love these little animals but the reason the criteria exists is to protect the animals and I for one am sick of the "Vicks" of the world and all that crap. Just because you can buy an animal does not make you an expert. There are way too many exotics that are being sold to people that within a short time may mean well but will end up burying the critter in the garden.

This has to stop.

(Oh, BTW - USDA don't mean crap.... Look at the recent beef recall !!!(Good job Fed ! Do you work for Al-Queda or what???))

:blink::wacko::blink::wacko::blink:

Guest dogowner

This has to stop.

The store has been the target of others who believe it should be shut down, but I really don't understand why. Go there. Get into a conversation about the animals. It will quickly become clear that they are the most knowledgeble pet store workers in the area. The other local stores are fine when it comes to dogs, cats, fish, and standard rodents, but in terms of something more exotic, particularly reptiles, I wouldn't dream of going anywhere else. As an educated former snake owner, I was so impressed with this place. There is a genuine love for all the creatures in this shop.

Is it even legal to sell squirrels as pets in NYS?

I believe they are considered a wild animal and they could get fined for it.

While we're on it.... How many of you have red squirrels around??

we are surrounded by red squirrels everyday. (lots of spruce on the property) my son and i are *REAL* serious about population control. why you need some thinned out?

• 2 weeks later...
Hey Sleepless, don't let those puffy tails fool you one bit. Squirrels are actuall nothing but tasty rats.

the reptile co is a great pet store. everything that they have there. they have a licence to sell. Its clean, and the workers know alot about the animals. whats wrong with having unique animals. i think its awsome they have the wide variety. Its not like any other pet store around. more hands on. any other place isnt nearly as impressive. and as for the squirels. they are ground squirels. and there NOT illegal to sell. and not mean at all. they are very tame. and if you dont like squirels well then dont buy one. But they make great pets if you have the time and patience to work with them. they are very sweet

Guest slowpoke

This has to stop.

I love when the "experts" get on under a guest name.

Archived