2011 STAC Boys Soccer

DarkManX14

Agree about Calvey...nice keeper but far from D-1. Stenta was great but Hayen probably doesn't belong where he is. Big strong and athletic but doesn't own the box....he needs to get off his line

• Replies 583
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Calvey is not near a Div 1 keeper, he doesn't control his box well enough to play at that level. Hayen and Stenta were both far superior goalies than he is at the same point in their careers. As for Rocco being the best player 1v1 in the area, not even close. I'll take the Rood kid from SV over anyone as a top individual player. he may have some immature times and need to work on team play but skill wise he is the top player in the area 1v1.

Vestal is easily the top team in the area this season, M-E was a shell they hadn't played the other top teams except for 1 UE game the whole "unscored" on thing was overblown. However soccer is a funny game and I've seen better teams lose many times. Just look at the strong Oneonta team losing to Trumansburg last season in sectionals. I would say best bet to beat them is UE followed by Ithaca just based on the rivalry game thing those teams have going.

Let's just say they both are quality players and the best in the area. Rood is very mature and Rocco is as well. You can't argue on success and saying "not even close" proves you do not know what you are talking about. Period. Vestal's defense including Calvey is 11 boys strong!!! 6-0 proves it.

any updates on todays games

Elmira at Ithaca, 7 p.m.

Chenango Valley at Seton CC (BC United)

Binghamton at Horseheads

Chenango Forks at Oneonta, 7 p.m.

Norwich at Johnson City

Maine-Endwell at Vestal, 4:15 p.m.

Corning at Union-Endicott, 7 p.m.

Owego at Sus. Valley, 7 p.m. (Middle School field)

Elmira over Ithaca 1-0

Vestal over M-E 6-0

HHDS beat Binghamton (not sure of score)

4-0 at the half...vestal winning...could easily be 6 or 7.....not even close...hope ME has a better 2nd half

Have to say that this doesn't suprise me a bit. M-E loses to the only two real quality teams they've played (Ithaca and Vestal), while slipping by the rest of STAC in a down year. Perennial powers such as Owego and EFA (who is now the Elmira District) are also having down seasons so it looks like M-E may be the weakest representative from Class A, section IV in a long, long time going into states.

This should be Vestals year, they have so

many premier star players that it is hard to compare vestal to other teams around the area that have only a few or not even any. That being said, they can be a state champ team if they have the right attitude and focus throughout there season. I wish them good luck along with all the other schools who have a chance to make it further as well.

This should be Vestals year, they have so

many premier star players that it is hard to compare vestal to other teams around the area that have only a few or not even any. That being said, they can be a state champ team if they have the right attitude and focus throughout there season. I wish them good luck along with all the other schools who have a chance to make it further as well.

Predictions ?? WHat teams in the area will make a good run in sectionals and maybe even states?

Vestal, M-E and onteonta should all do very well out of the section

ME do well out of the Section? first game loss easy just like people said probably worst Class A bracket in Section 4 history.

Oneonta will have to find a way by the Trumansburg Dryden teams that have given them problems the last few years, IAC has been better than STAC in Class B for a while now. Just look at last season when Trumansburg beat Oneonta 3-1 and most people had Oneonta the second best team in STAC.

To be honest STAC as a whole is very far down from years past, not sure we will ever see the depth of talent there used to be with most club soccer gone now. Just not as many kids playing the game, its the key to why Vestal has depth. VYSA is the biggest club around, more soccer players naturally gives the HS team more depth than any other team. But with idiots like Darpino trying to destroy that for his own glory soon enough Vestal with join the rest with no feeder programs. Look at what losing Endicott travel has done to UE soccer the past ten years. They used to be the top team with tons of D1 talent Robinson, Esworthy, Tyree, Chavez, Leskow, Riley, Dickinson all started as EUYSA kids. Now UE is lucky to get 1 top level player every few years

So you really think ME wOnt win there first game of sectionals?! They play either JC or Owego and both those teams dont have nearly the skill that they did before

So you really think ME wOnt win there first game of sectionals?! They play either JC or Owego and both those teams dont have nearly the skill that they did before

Re-read the post. M-E will win the section, but not because they are a great team. They'll win because Owego and JC are way down and EFA isn't in Class "A" anymore. The poster said that M-E isn't good enough to do anything OUT of the section.

How can anyone have any respect for a high school soccer coach who allows, even encourages, fighting among teammates, allows players to engage in embarrassing displays of poor sportsmanship on and off the field right in front of him without consequence, randomly singles out one player to take the fall when the entire team has a bad day, and doesn't have a single positive thing to say when they do pull through and win? There's more to being a coach than standing on the sideline during a game.

Guest Giorgio Chinaglia

Elmira has the best coach in Section IV. With the ESS-EFA combination, they will soon be the team to beat in AA, just as EFA had been in A. Be afraid Vestal - be very afraid. Probably won't be this year but in 2-3 years, the transition will occur.

Also - Don't count SV out in the sectionals either. They have the best player in the area in Rood, just need to deploy him more effectively. They man-handled JC and beat Owego twice already, but then they lose to Windsor & Seton. I guess that speaks to the overall weakness of soccer in the area this season as mentioned by others.

Other than Vestal in AA, the other classes are wide open. Agree about the IAC being stronger (at the top) than the STAC B schools.

Looks like the STAC Playoffs are petty well set up only 1 division with any question so what does everyone think?

Oneonta vs Ithaca

Vestal vs JC/SV winner

Who hosts the semis this year?

Guest Tommy Pools

Soccer is a crazy game.

The way I see it is Oneonta has separated themselves from the Central and East divisions and Vestal has done

the same for the West and Metro.

After those two teams there is a lot of balance. Personally, I am glad to see Seton playing well again. They are

a state championship program after all lest we forget. Windsor has also improved and become more competitive, what is

wrong with that? The way the school's are dropping JV teams lately I can't see ripping anyone for competing.

People bashing Soccer in this area are just plain meddling adults. It really doesn't help anything and makes the

players feel like crap so save your higher than mighty crap. There are hard working kids at every school.

As for "the coach" post, plenty of coach's come to mind.

Encouraging kids to fight in practice is out of line. I've never heard of this, not cool.

The rest of the post seems pretty individual to your situation.

Kids that play shoulder the responsibility of game decisions.

It is tough to feel sorry for any players when there are plenty of kids on the bench that

would be happy to make the same mistakes. Accountability leads to correction.

When my son played his coach was on him all the time, and he was one of the

better players on the team. At first I thought he didn't like him but

when I thought about it, it made sense. Who else would the coach get on??

Better coaches get on better players. If the players are sensitive it causes

problems. The coach should address this and the player should talk to the coach.

As for being disappointed in a team's win, that happens to every team. I never met

a satisfied coach whose team did anything. If a team plays like crap and wins a good coach should

let his players know.

That's soccer, your team can take 1 shot and win to the opposition's 12 shots. It doesn't mean you should

be happy, especially during this time of year when teams are prepping for the end of the year.

The next couple of weeks are my favorite time of the year, good luck to all of the players and especially to the

Forks. Hang in there boys.

The coach and his players know who he is. No need to name names here.

If no names are needed and you aren't going to say it, why the heck would you post it? Either man up say who you are and who you're talking about of don't post

Elmira has the best coach in Section IV. With the ESS-EFA combination, they will soon be the team to beat in AA, just as EFA had been in A. Be afraid Vestal - be very afraid. Probably won't be this year but in 2-3 years, the transition will occur.

Also - Don't count SV out in the sectionals either. They have the best player in the area in Rood, just need to deploy him more effectively. They man-handled JC and beat Owego twice already, but then they lose to Windsor & Seton. I guess that speaks to the overall weakness of soccer in the area this season as mentioned by others.

Other than Vestal in AA, the other classes are wide open. Agree about the IAC being stronger (at the top) than the STAC B schools.

I'm in agreement with Elmira becoming a power in the future. I remember when EFA was just a terrible program. That coach certainly turned them around. However, I don't see Vestal ever falling away from the top. Them and Elmira should battle it out for years. Elmira is certainly struggling this season, but they could be another team that's dangerous in the post season. They have some players, and a coach, that have seen success in sectionals and that could be important.

Also agree about Sus Valley being dangerous in sectionals. They have a quality program, including a very good player in Rood. However, Class B is tough and Watkins, Oneonta, Trumansburg, Lansing are all going to be tough draws.

I'm in agreement with Elmira becoming a power in the future. I remember when EFA was just a terrible program. That coach certainly turned them around. However, I don't see Vestal ever falling away from the top. Them and Elmira should battle it out for years. Elmira is certainly struggling this season, but they could be another team that's dangerous in the post season. They have some players, and a coach, that have seen success in sectionals and that could be important.

Also agree about Sus Valley being dangerous in sectionals. They have a quality program, including a very good player in Rood. However, Class B is tough and Watkins, Oneonta, Trumansburg, Lansing are all going to be tough draws.

Lansing a C this year, and a good one.

Marathon and Lansing should be the teams to beat in the C's.

Looks like the STAC Playoffs are petty well set up only 1 division with any question so what does everyone think?

Oneonta vs Ithaca

Vestal vs JC/SV winner

Who hosts the semis this year?

I see SV plays JC this week. Any predictions?? The last time they played SV lost a starter that had to be taken off the field on a stretcher to a cheap tackle from behind. I am sure that SV has not forgotten that.......

Also does anyone know how that player is. Was it a season ending injury

I see SV plays JC this week. Any predictions?? The last time they played SV lost a starter that had to be taken off the field on a stretcher to a cheap tackle from behind. I am sure that SV has not forgotten that.......

Also does anyone know how that player is. Was it a season ending injury

Heard SV hasn't had that player back since the injury- broken collarbone, he was hoping to be back for sectionals from what I heard. Also heard SV lost a player to a leg injury vs Forks and he has been out for a few games. This makes sense to me on the losses to Seton and Windsor. JC could have a shot if SV is missing starters like that.

Heard SV hasn't had that player back since the injury- broken collarbone, he was hoping to be back for sectionals from what I heard. Also heard SV lost a player to a leg injury vs Forks and he has been out for a few games. This makes sense to me on the losses to Seton and Windsor. JC could have a shot if SV is missing starters like that.

Sounds like JC can possibly cruise right to the division title. Just hope there is no retaliation to the JC player that took the SV kid down from behind that takes away from the game.

Sounds like JC can possibly cruise right to the division title. Just hope there is no retaliation to the JC player that took the SV kid down from behind that takes away from the game.

That woud be sad lose 5-0 to a team, take out a key player with a bad play and be rewarded long term. SV did beat Owego last week, maybe they aren't done with.

That woud be sad lose 5-0 to a team, take out a key player with a bad play and be rewarded long term. SV did beat Owego last week, maybe they aren't done with.

Sv has to beat JC adn hope that Owego beats JC as well. If not they will be tied and will have to play a tie breaker

Archived