2011 STAC Boys Soccer

DarkManX14

• Replies 583
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not to mention the talk of building Elmira, do you know where Corning was before he stepped in? I know when my sons played that Corning didn't have a win for three straight years. My perception is that he is also trying to build something. Why do we tear these people down? I agree that when he coached against one of my older sons, he did scream and rant and rave. I have seem him a couple times this fall, and his dimeanor is much more under control.

We'll also have to agree to disagree because my family and I think he is a great coach.

Not to mention the talk of building Elmira, do you know where Corning was before he stepped in? I know when my sons played that Corning didn't have a win for three straight years. My perception is that he is also trying to build something. Why do we tear these people down? I agree that when he coached against one of my older sons, he did scream and rant and rave. I have seem him a couple times this fall, and his dimeanor is much more under control.

We'll also have to agree to disagree because my family and I think he is a great coach.

I agree that his demeanor has changed and that's admirable, but they aren't building much in Corning. They can't put together consecutive successful seasons. What was built in Elmira (at least at the old EFA) in such a short time was incredible. I hope the coach can do the same with the Elmira District because I think it would be good for soccer in the area.

Ithaca beats oneonta 1-0 in STAC semis.... Figure that out Ithaca loses to ELmira who only won 3 games all year. Sounds like either Oneonta can not handle a physical game or Ithaca had a bad game against them.

Ithaca beats oneonta 1-0 in STAC semis.... Figure that out Ithaca loses to ELmira who only won 3 games all year. Sounds like either Oneonta can not handle a physical game or Ithaca had a bad game against them.

Agreed, odd season, but I wouldn't hold much stock in Elmira only having 3 wins. They are essentially a new program with alot of younger players. Consider 2 of their 3 wins have come against state ranked opponents and I think something like 8 of thier 11 losses have been by 1 or 2 goals (Ithaca 0-1, U-E 2-3 and 1-2, M-E 0-2, Vestal 0-2).

Agreed, odd season, but I wouldn't hold much stock in Elmira only having 3 wins. They are essentially a new program with alot of younger players. Consider 2 of their 3 wins have come against state ranked opponents and I think something like 8 of thier 11 losses have been by 1 or 2 goals (Ithaca 0-1, U-E 2-3 and 1-2, M-E 0-2, Vestal 0-2).

Have seen Elmira play a couple times this season. I think they'll be OK in the long run, but it certainly hasn't been pretty this season. They look undersized and slow, but well organized. I could actually see them making it to the sectional final if they play well, but could also see them losing to U-E in the first round as they are terribly inconsistant.

Have seen Elmira play a couple times this season. I think they'll be OK in the long run, but it certainly hasn't been pretty this season. They look undersized and slow, but well organized. I could actually see them making it to the sectional final if they play well, but could also see them losing to U-E in the first round as they are terribly inconsistant.

Any smart team will rough Alex V. up in the first five minutes and he will take himself out of the game. Mental basketcase and hurts the team!

Sectional predictions anyone

WHo is in the final and who wins.

AA

Vestal and UE make the finals.

Vestal wins

A

Me and JC makes the final

JC wins

B

Oneonta and SV make the final

SV wins

C

Lansing and Watkins Glen makes the finals

Lansing wins

D

CV Spring and Morris make the finals

CV Spring wins

Any smart team will rough Alex V. up in the first five minutes and he will take himself out of the game. Mental basketcase and hurts the team!

Good thing yellow cars do not carry into sectionals. He leads the team.... He thinks he is so much better than other players and when he gets the ball if you double team him you can bet he loses the ball and then loses his temper. Just play him physically and he can not produce!

AA

Vestal wins

A

JC wins

B

SV wins

C

Lansing wins

D

CV Spring and Morris make the finals

CV Spring wins

AA

Agreed Vestal vs. UE in finals

A

Agreed for matchup, but ME by 2

B

Oneonta will win finals no matter who they play

C

END should make finals, we'll see how they and Lansing match up today

D

Not even sure...

AA

Vestal wins

A

JC wins

B

SV wins

C

Lansing wins

I can't comment on D schools, haven't seen a thing all year. Lansing looks unstoppable this season in C. They would probably take B as well but I think you are right with SV, seems all the injured players are back and it could be their year. Trumansburg is not to be overlooked though they are the reigning champs but they'll have to play at SV and that is a home field advantage like few others around. M-E has played a much tougher schedule than JC and looked better in doing so. I can't see an upset there M-E shouyld win by two goals. AA is as easy as C to call Vestal in a walk, but they will have some problems once they leave the Section, tough to go untested pretty much all year and turn it on.

Class AA soccer is weaker for boys this year than in year's past. Looking at STAC Showcase website, Vestal, Ithaca, and Corning are only good JV teams. Are any teams this year young at the varsity level, that will be better next year, to raise the overall level of soccer in the area?

AA

Agreed Vestal vs. UE in finals

A

Agreed for matchup, but ME by 2

B

Oneonta will win finals no matter who they play

C

END should make finals, we'll see how they and Lansing match up today

D

Not even sure...

Sorry but Oneonta struggled with JC, SV, Seton this year, they aren't the power they have been in past and they lost last season to T-Burg when they were the better team. If I was them I wouldn't look past the Dryden/Windsor winner too quick.

Class C is wide open, any of 6 teams could take it Lansing, Watkins Glen, Marathon, S/V-E, END of the IAC are all capable of making a run and Seton has an outside chance. Hell even Greene is a solid team this is the hardest group to survive this season easily.

Class A is a joke anymore next season we will have probably only two teams- JC/ME so they will just be starting the rivalry now. Vestal moving down is the only way that changes Owego is going to take a huge flood drop in population.

Class AA soccer is weaker for boys this year than in year's past. Looking at STAC Showcase website, Vestal, Ithaca, and Corning are only good JV teams. Are any teams this year young at the varsity level, that will be better next year, to raise the overall level of soccer in the area?

Binghamton loses a lot of seniors, and doesn't seem to have much coming to fill in. Their strongest athletes seem to be migrating over to football. Their jv team is the weakest in the league, and does not have much of anything coming up next year. Unlike this fall, where they had a ton of players with a lot of experience, they lose that next year too.

ME (though A plays in the AA leagues) is a pretty young team. They lose some great players, but they return a lot also. Their jvs aren't much to cough at, but they have a lot of underclassmen on varsity. They should be the favorite come sectional time next year in class A, and could certainly push Vestal next fall for the top spot in the Metro.

UE loses a lot, and their JV program is down. This is probably the best UE team in the last five years, and may be the best for the next five years coming. It will also depend on how things change in the coaching ranks. They have also lost a lot with the changes in travel in the area.

Vestal will always be Vestal. They may very well be the favorite again next year, even after losing almost their entire starting line up. It is tough to tell if this is a down year for the rest of the league, or Vestal is just that darn good. It could be a combination of both. Either way, I expect that they will be top of the Metro again next year, with ME possibly pushing them for the top spot.

Corning could be good. They only start a couple of seniors, and return almost their entire roster. Winning four matches of their last seven, while starting a few freshmen shows potential. I have seen the posts on here, and from what I can personally see, this coach must do a good job coaching possession, and overall organization, as they out possess and out pass most teams they play. He seems to be weak in coaching a finisher, so if that continues they will still be middle of the pack like every other year.

Elmira returns Alex V and some other young players. They will be better next season. Their coach will have them playing harder next year, which seems lack luster at times this year. ESS had not been good in at least 6-7 years, and the part the coach will have to do is inspire a work ethic in those kids to be successful sooner rather than later. It can happen, but is next year too early?

Horseheads loses a ton, and just like Binghamton really didn't achieve this fall to what a team that starts mostly seniors should. Their jv program is horrible. They will struggle to match their four wins from this year. They have picked it up recently, so we'll see if they can be an upset team moving forward.

Ithaca loses a lot, but their jv program is also decent. I would say top notch because they did win STAC West, but Corning beat them head-to-head twice. It is tough to gauge, as I am not sure how much time their coach will spend out of season. Their last coach did a lot out of season. They have also lost some great coaching in the spring, as those coaches have moved on to other programs.

Binghamton loses a lot of seniors, and doesn't seem to have much coming to fill in. Their strongest athletes seem to be migrating over to football. Their jv team is the weakest in the league, and does not have much of anything coming up next year. Unlike this fall, where they had a ton of players with a lot of experience, they lose that next year too.

ME (though A plays in the AA leagues) is a pretty young team. They lose some great players, but they return a lot also. Their jvs aren't much to cough at, but they have a lot of underclassmen on varsity. They should be the favorite come sectional time next year in class A, and could certainly push Vestal next fall for the top spot in the Metro.

UE loses a lot, and their JV program is down. This is probably the best UE team in the last five years, and may be the best for the next five years coming. It will also depend on how things change in the coaching ranks. They have also lost a lot with the changes in travel in the area.

Vestal will always be Vestal. They may very well be the favorite again next year, even after losing almost their entire starting line up. It is tough to tell if this is a down year for the rest of the league, or Vestal is just that darn good. It could be a combination of both. Either way, I expect that they will be top of the Metro again next year, with ME possibly pushing them for the top spot.

Corning could be good. They only start a couple of seniors, and return almost their entire roster. Winning four matches of their last seven, while starting a few freshmen shows potential. I have seen the posts on here, and from what I can personally see, this coach must do a good job coaching possession, and overall organization, as they out possess and out pass most teams they play. He seems to be weak in coaching a finisher, so if that continues they will still be middle of the pack like every other year.

Elmira returns Alex V and some other young players. They will be better next season. Their coach will have them playing harder next year, which seems lack luster at times this year. ESS had not been good in at least 6-7 years, and the part the coach will have to do is inspire a work ethic in those kids to be successful sooner rather than later. It can happen, but is next year too early?

Horseheads loses a ton, and just like Binghamton really didn't achieve this fall to what a team that starts mostly seniors should. Their jv program is horrible. They will struggle to match their four wins from this year. They have picked it up recently, so we'll see if they can be an upset team moving forward.

Ithaca loses a lot, but their jv program is also decent. I would say top notch because they did win STAC West, but Corning beat them head-to-head twice. It is tough to gauge, as I am not sure how much time their coach will spend out of season. Their last coach did a lot out of season. They have also lost some great coaching in the spring, as those coaches have moved on to other programs.

Excellent post, thank you for taking the time to put it together. Great to read, but now time to respond to. I'm in agreement with most of your opinions on this thread, except the following:

1) JV teams RARELY ever matter. There are a ton of terrible JV teams in the league with strong varsity programs. There are also alot of strong JV program with weak varsity teams.

2) Can't really see Corning being a top team. I think they've had better teams in the past and haven't put it together. Maybe i'm wrong, but they've never given anyone any other reason to think differently. They are continually an average to below average team.

3) Not sold on Elmira either. I acknowledge they have a quality coach that has had outstanding success in the past, but combining with ESS doesn't increase their talent enough to make them a top team in AA. I do think this program will be one of the best in Section IV in 4-6 years, but I just can't see it in the near future. Ironically, this program (or EFA rather) has been the most successful program behind Vestal in the past 5-6 years.

I agree with your post. JV success does not always lead to varsity success. I was simply answering the question at hand, who is young at varsity, and has good JV programs.

What is measured as success? Look at Elmira's website (http://www.eteamz.com/ElmiraSoccer/). Last year they picked up four C and D schools, non of which were strong (Norwich, Seton CC, Odessa, Elmira Notre Dame, Athens, etc.) for non-league in order to finish above .500. In 2009 they did the same thing, and have even included "scrimmages" in their standings for their record. Again it was C and D schools. Each of those years, Elmira would have finished at or below .500 on the season.

To give them credit, they played in the AA division, just like what ME is doing now. But to say they were second most successful, even though Ithaca won two sectional titles at AA, and Horseheads also won STAC West twice, just doesn't add up. Yes, they experienced a lot of success, and has helped move soccer in this area in the right direction, but second best team in STAC is not a statement that can be fully supported.

I am not sold that either school will be a top team next year. Just stating that with both teams returning youth, it could be interesting. I honestly wouldn't be surprised to see one of the two win the West next year. How that will carry over to sectional play is another thing.

Good post though! Great points-loved the refuting-hope you can enjoy the response.

I agree with your post. JV success does not always lead to varsity success. I was simply answering the question at hand, who is young at varsity, and has good JV programs.

What is measured as success? Look at Elmira's website (http://www.eteamz.com/ElmiraSoccer/). Last year they picked up four C and D schools, non of which were strong (Norwich, Seton CC, Odessa, Elmira Notre Dame, Athens, etc.) for non-league in order to finish above .500. In 2009 they did the same thing, and have even included "scrimmages" in their standings for their record. Again it was C and D schools. Each of those years, Elmira would have finished at or below .500 on the season.

To give them credit, they played in the AA division, just like what ME is doing now. But to say they were second most successful, even though Ithaca won two sectional titles at AA, and Horseheads also won STAC West twice, just doesn't add up. Yes, they experienced a lot of success, and has helped move soccer in this area in the right direction, but second best team in STAC is not a statement that can be fully supported.

I am not sold that either school will be a top team next year. Just stating that with both teams returning youth, it could be interesting. I honestly wouldn't be surprised to see one of the two win the West next year. How that will carry over to sectional play is another thing.

Good post though! Great points-loved the refuting-hope you can enjoy the response.

I noticed you included Athens in your non league list for them to be at 500? They are AA and beat EFA? Not arguing your point just pointing this out

I noticed you included Athens in your non league list for them to be at 500? They are AA and beat EFA? Not arguing your point just pointing this out

Again, good information, but inaccurate I think. Norwich was an A school last season, Elmira Notre Dame advanced to the Sectional Final last season and was in the IAC championship this season, Seton was in the Class C finals last year. Athens is always a quality program. I wouldn't consider those games on the same level as AA competition, but they were all quality programs.

I define success as a team that consistantly wins important matches. In the last 5 years, Elmira (or EFA) has won 2 STAC west titles, a STAC championship, has advanced to 3 Sectional Finals, won 2 sectional championships, and according to their website, have finished ranked in the state 3 of last 5 seasons. That's pretty impressive.

For a Binghamton based forum, someone has a lot of information on Elmira/EFA. Would not happen to be their own coach tooting their horn would it? If so come on.............

Archived