M-E Football

flash211

Congrats to the M-E football program for breaking the state record on consecutive wins. Rather impressive!

I do not have a child in the M-E school system, but I have heard that M-E highly recommends that children start the normal education path a year delayed. It would be interesting to know the average grade age for the football team and compare that to other school districts. What is the avg age for 12th graders, 11th graders, etc on the varsity football team? The extra year, if true, would give them an advantage.

Other thoughts?

It would be a non-factor, as what is below applies to all high school students in a school with athletics governed by the NYSPHSAA. The red is the key part, but I included the whole schmeel.

(4) DURATION OF COMPETITION. A pupil shall be eligible for senior high school athletic competition in a sport during each of four consecutive seasons of such sport commencing with the pupil's entry into the ninth grade and prior to graduation, except as otherwise provided in this sub clause, or except as authorized by a waiver granted under clause (d) of this subparagraph to a student with a disability. If a board of education has adopted a policy, pursuant to sub clause (a)(4) of this subparagraph, to permit pupils in seventh and eighth grades to compete in senior high school athletic competition, such pupils shall be eligible for competition during five consecutive seasons of a sport commencing with the pupil's entry into the eighth grade, or six consecutive seasons of a sport commencing with the pupil's entry into the seventh grade. A pupil enters competition in a given year when the pupil is a member of the team in the sport involved, and that team has completed at least one contest. A pupil shall be eligible for interschool competition in grades 9, 10, 11 and 12 until the last day of the school year in which he or she attains the age of 19, except as otherwise provided in sub clause (a)(4) or clause (d) of this subparagraph or in this sub clause. The eligibility for competition of a pupil who has not attained the age of 19 years prior to July 1st may be extended under the following circumstances.

(i) If sufficient evidence is presented by the chief school officer to the section to show that the pupil's failure to enter competition during one or more seasons of a sport was caused by illness, accident, or similar circumstances beyond the control of the student, such pupil's eligibility shall be extended accordingly in that sport. In order to be deemed sufficient, the evidence must include documentation showing that as a direct result of the illness, accident or other circumstance beyond the control of the student, the pupil will be required to attend school for one or more additionalsemesters inorder to graduate.

(ii) If the chief school officer demonstrated to the satisfaction of the section that the pupil's failure to enter competition during one or more seasons of a sport is caused by such pupil's enrollment in a national or international student exchange program, that as a result of such enrollment the pupil will be required to attend school for one or more additional semesters in order to graduate, and that the pupil did not enter competition in any sport while enrolled in such program, such pupil's eligibility shall be extended accordingly in such sport. (d) Waiver from the age requirement and four-year limitation for interschool athletic competition for students with disabilities in senior high school grades 9, 10, 11, and 12. For purposes of this clause, the term noncontact sport shall include swimming and diving, golf, track and field, cross country rifle, bowling, gymnastics, skiing and archery, and any other such non-contact sport deemed appropriate by the Commissioner. A student with a disability, as defined in section 4401 of the Education Law, who has not yet graduated from high school may be eligible to participate in a senior high school non-contact athletic competition for a fifth year under the following limited conditions: (1) such student must apply for and be granted a waiver to the age requirement and four-year limitation prescribed in sub clause (1) of this subparagraph. A waiver shall only be granted upon a determination by the superintendent of schools or chief executive officer of the school or school system, as applicable, that the given student meets the followingcriteria:

(a) Such student has not graduated from high school as a result of his or her disability delaying his or her educationfor one yearor more;

such student is otherwise qualified to compete in the athletic competition for which he or she is applying for a waiver and the student must have been selected for such competition in the past;

© such student has not already participated in an additional season of athletic competition pursuant to a waiver granted under this sub clause;

(d) such student has undergone a physical evaluation by the school physician, which shall include an assessment of the student's level of physical development and maturity, and the school physician has determined that the student's participation in such competition will not present a safetyor health concernfor such student;and

(e) the superintendent of schools or chief executive officer of the school or school system has determined that the given student's participation in the athletic competition will not adversely affect the opportunity of the other students competing in the sport to successfully participatein such competition

I've also heard... like many school... the football players are 100% untouchable as well. Can say or do whatever they want and it all gets swept under the rug.

I remember a couple of years ago when M-E suspended 6 players (not scrubs, but starters) during the state playoffs. Doesn't sound that untouchable.

http://highschoolsports.syracuse.com/news/article/-8207788960031694322/maine-endwell-suspends-six-players-before-its-state-quarterfinal-game-against-cazenovia/

It was awesome, really cool for the kids on both teams. Bettis, Harris, Cowher, D Jones, Tull. Really a neat night. JC came out strong, gave them a heck of a game but ME really is so deep and disciplined and comes from a lot of directions.

Fun, fun night of HS football, kids will tell their kids about. I hope the press has some good pics.

It was awesome, really cool for the kids on both teams. Bettis, Harris, Cowher, D Jones, Tull. Really a neat night. JC came out strong, gave them a heck of a game but ME really is so deep and disciplined and comes from a lot of directions.

Fun, fun night of HS football, kids will tell their kids about. I hope the press has some good pics.

JC played them a good game.

Those ME uniforms were hideous.

jc did play a good game, but the first two touchdowns they had came from a fumbled punt and interception, both of which gave JC the ball deep in ME territory. had neither of those happened, the score goes from 45-30 to 45-14, but, that's why they play the game, anything can happen.

jc did play a good game, but the first two touchdowns they had came from a fumbled punt and interception, both of which gave JC the ball deep in ME territory. had neither of those happened, the score goes from 45-30 to 45-14, but, that's why they play the game, anything can happen.

Works both ways.

150 yards in penalties erases some points for ME too.

JC could give M-E a real battle for section 4 if they could just do some simple things that good coaches do. First of all they stayed in the same formation most of the game, but at the end they really exposed M-Es inability to cover them out of the spread formation. Good coaches mix up the formations early to get an idea what the defense is going to do to certain looks, like trips, option, spread, etc. JC did that too late and it could have been a different game if they had done it sooner.

And what about their clock management? With about 2 minutes left in the first half JC was 4th and 4 and immediately punted. Why not go up to the line and try to draw M-E offsides? They had 2 timeouts and could have even afforded a delay of game penalty for 5 more yards? If they kept the ball away from M-E, they erase M-Es sensational TD right before the end of the 1st half. I see flag coaches who have a better clue.

• 5 weeks later...

That's probably about right. The key to the game is the other JC DE besides Korutz. If he can stay home JC will be in the game.

Six years ago right about now JC shocked ME in the sectional final. Probably not this time.

came down to a field goal if I remember correctly...

If JC was going to beat M-E, it would have been when they last played? M-E fumbled twice to give JC 2 scores. M-E isn't going to give JC two TDs tonight. JC has the athletes, but not the Xs and Os. My prediction? M-E 40 JC 16. Not that close though. JC will keep starters in vs M-Es JVs and score one late.

If JC was going to beat M-E, it would have been when they last played? M-E fumbled twice to give JC 2 scores. M-E isn't going to give JC two TDs tonight. JC has the athletes, but not the Xs and Os. My prediction? M-E 40 JC 16. Not that close though. JC will keep starters in vs M-Es JVs and score one late.

Actual final score, M-E 40, JC 16. Do you pick lottery numbers too? That was an incredibly exact prediction.

Actual final score, M-E 40, JC 16. Do you pick lottery numbers too? That was an incredibly exact prediction.

Yeah I watch a lot of football. If I've seen two teams play, I can usually come within a score or two if they play each other. JC just continues to disappoint. They have speed, athletes, and a kid who can throw it. However, JC at least runs 6 plays now instead of 3 before they punt?

Yeah I watch a lot of football. If I've seen two teams play, I can usually come within a score or two if they play each other. JC just continues to disappoint. They have speed, athletes, and a kid who can throw it. However, JC at least runs 6 plays now instead of 3 before they punt?

29 seniors on this JC squad. It's going to be a rough few years ahead for the Wildcats.

Archived