We're #1 Again: America's Worst Places to Get Sick

Bingoloid

http://www.msn.com/en-us/health/medical/10-cities-where-you-don%E2%80%99t-want-to-get-sick/ar-AAeCz8R?li=AAa0dzB#page=11ghamont

1. Binghamton, NY
> Readmission rate: 17.3%
> Avg. 30 day mortality rate: 14.2%
> Hospital safety score grade: C-
> Preventable hospitalizations: 59.4 per 1,000
Unlike most poorly ranked hospitals, Binghamton hospitals performed inadequately in every measure of hospital quality. As many as 17.3% of discharged patients were readmitted within 30 days, nearly the highest such rate in the country. Similarly, 14.2% of patients died within 30 days of being admitted to a hospital in Binghamton, one of the highest mortality rates of any metro area’s hospitals. This mortality rate accounts for the inherent risks of death associated with the diseases treated. Only in one measure did Binghamton hospitals achieve an average rate -- unnecessary patient hospitalizations, as only 59.4 patients per 1,000 Medicare enrollees were hospitalized for conditions otherwise treatable by ambulatory care. This was similar to the national rate of 59.3 patients per 1,000 Medicare enrollees.

I worked at a local hospital, in two departments, and completed a local 10 month class in Surgical Technology. I was only at the job for about 3 years. I appreciate the opportunity I had to get an insider's look at the health care industry. It changed my life, my outlook on the industry as well as my health.

The mortality rate you mentioned is seriously alarming. The only outside factors I can think that would skew that number upwards would be aging of our population. But even that shouldn't jack up the mortality rate that high.

The readmission rate could easily be elevated by the high numbers of Medicare qualified people who live here. There is also a large, hidden population of disabled and elderly disabled living among us. They're largely invisible because they only leave their houses to go to medical appointments and the grocery store. I used to see them when I drove them around in the cab I drove and I was shocked once it dawned on me how many of them live here.

They tend to be undereducated and very poor, and many live alone. They live in subsidized housing in the city.

I can see their loneliness and lack of communication skills at navigating health care as being factors that might drive up that readmission rate, particularly the elderly. That happened with my 78 year old cancer patient Mom last year. She had recurring pain problems and every 6 days she'd get readmitted to the ER. We let her and the doctors decide whether to admit her or not because, well, she had cancer and was scared out of her wits. In a 2 week span she was in and out 4 times.

People tend to forget that doctors, nurses and the entire staff are people with bills and families to raise. If the beds are empty, they don't get paid.

Hospitals are businesses (even non-profit Catholic ones) and businesses run on money and not much else, good intentions included.

While doing chemo and radiation, the BC Health Dept. told her she had TB. Yep, TB. Turns out they were wrong and her cancer treatment was suspended for a month while she was "positive."

Random Tip: if anyone's elderly family member gets a positive TB read, get loud with them about multiple, repeat tests. Don't just take their word for it on one test.

Better yet get the flock out of Broome and go to a real hospital! If the beds are empty they still get paid and if the beds are empty that means they went to a real hospital and got better. I wouldn't take their word for anything. First off they are a hospital that should be putting your welfare in the front of the line. Stick the business up your ass. They get paid by insurance and I'm sure they've double bill many times. Lourdes isn't non profit by any means anymore.

Meanwhile, just a few miles west of us, the supposed unhealthiest city in New York State is ... Elmira.

http://247wallst.com/special-report/2015/09/10/the-least-healthy-city-in-every-state/8/

They probably have a higher obesity rate because they don't have as many meth users as Greater Binghamton. Ever see a fat meth user?

Over the years I have been hospitalized and/or operated on at a few hospitals in seven diferent States and my personal opinion is that Wilson Hospital and all the medical staff that treated me and operated on me were top grade.

My 8 days stay was made much easier by not only the Nurses and Doctors but even the non-pro workers I came in contact with helped me get through a tough operation and recovery.

I would give the Wilson Hospital and Staff a definite thumbs up

The worst in my opinion is Halifax in Daytona. Their ER is good when injured but hopefully I will never need to have any extended stay there again.

But anyways, stats and studies always have exceptions. Wilson is one of them.

Archived