Constitutional Convention 2017

ginger

Healthcare a right? YES or NO? What was that Andrea Stewart Cousins? SHE DOESN'T WANT A CONSTITUTIONAL CONVENTION. :)

We could make it so everyone in NY has to have the same coverage as those in Congress. Who would vote for that in NYS? May as well get something for the outrageous taxes we pay. :D

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Upstate is out voted by the NYC greater metropolitan area. So be careful what you wish for.

Do you know the answer to this? Matt Ryan was on Binghamton Now the other day and said if we have a constitutional convention in NYS the legislature has to vote on it. That is not how I understood the gentleman who was on Binghamton Now (I can't recall his name) who stated every item we change had to be voted on by the constituency via referendum.

As for your post...could we effectuate some legislation separating upstate from NYC...we already differentiate in so many ways. NOTHING THAT APPEARS TO BENEFIT UPSTATE!!!! ie They dictate OUR MINIMUM WAGE? Perhaps some voting legislation, ie an electoral college like law to even things out...not sure if that would work though.

• 4 months later...

The vote will be coming up soon. If you think it's NOT OK for the government to scan your license plate at will, without cause, I highly suggest you vote yes.

To emphasize...case on point....Not too long ago a police officer knocked on my mothers door. He wanted to know if she knew who owned a Chevy Camaro that was parked on the street.The way I see it, police officers are now allowed to drive down the street, scan every vehicle and perhaps actually have cause to knock on your front door? Is that the way it's going to be? My own vehicle that's parked in MY DRIVEWAY? Then they're going to walk up the steps to MY FRONT PORCH AND knock on MY FRONT DOOR?

The vote will be coming up soon. If you think it's NOT OK for the government to scan your license plate at will, without cause, I highly suggest you vote yes.

I think it's completely OK for the police to scan license plates. I have nothing to hide, so what's the big deal? I would love the fact that people with warrents, driving without insurance or registration, and criminals will be possibly caught because of this technology? I agree their may be no cause, but having a car, with proper registration and a drivers license is a PRIVELEDGE, not a right.

Plus, opening the Constitution will cost millions? We don't need more waste in our government.

This is the NYS Constitution not the US Constitution. Be careful not to confuse the two. You better be OK with the way NY is being run and you better be OK with illegals voting and collecting benefits. Theres a lot at stake and all of it can be done without opening and redoing the entire States Constitution.Its going to be very costly for NY. After the failure of the free tuition,the NYC rail system and all of Cuomos out of the country trips he has no choice but to raise taxes to pay for this Please read and educate yourselves on whats at stake We cannot afford this and we dont need it

:) I'm not confused. I'm voting for the NYS convention but I've often posted, calling for a federal convention as well, due to the exigency of privacy concerns related to technological advances.

NY City sucks out 50% of every NY State tax dollar, which means that Upstate subsidizes them. No votes in Upstate can overcome that.

Screw the Electoral College....go by popular vote, so that your vote in NY State might matter in a Presidential election.

Enough political gamesmanship.

I have no idea how to solve it on a NY State level. That is one screwed up and entirely corrupt system.

Screw the Electoral College....go by popular vote, so that your vote in NY State might matter in a Presidential election.

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo! We are a Republic, not a democracy. The founders were well aware of the dangers in a democracy and they were brilliant in coming up with the Electoral College. We would have never become so great and have a chance at being great again if we were a true democracy. Democracy is 2 wolves and a sheep voting on what is for dinner. A very worn out cliche but it is truth eternal!!

• 2 weeks later...

I'm really on the fence about this vote. On one hand, I am inclined to vote 'yes' because I feel there is so much that should be addressed, changed, etc. However, I fear special interests and corrupt politicians will push their agendas to benefit themselves rather than make changes to improve policies, practices, etc. for the good of the people of this state.

Voting 'no' just leaves things as status quo, and I am not OK with that either.....the more I read, the more indecisive I become. This is not something to go into with blinders on.

• 3 weeks later...

I still think the NYS constitution could use a makeover. :) As President Trump said, "What have we got to lose?" We're the highest taxed state in America.

I live in the City of Binghamton. We already have "Welcoming" legislation on the books. Funny how they don't go after any other local municipality.

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo! We are a Republic, not a democracy. The founders were well aware of the dangers in a democracy and they were brilliant in coming up with the Electoral College. We would have never become so great and have a chance at being great again if we were a true democracy. Democracy is 2 wolves and a sheep voting on what is for dinner. A very worn out cliche but it is truth eternal!!

So according to your cliche, Republicans are the sheep and the Democrats are the wolves? The electoral college had its time, and its time has passed. No one can argue that some votes should count, and some should not count, unless your Trump. In addition, the EC distorts the presidential race because both parties write off the more than 40 states that they know they either cant win, or cant lose. Lastly, an individual citizen in Wyoming has more than triple (almost quadruple) the weight in electoral votes as an individual in California.

Interesting dilemma we find ourselves in. The Electoral College was intended to prevent the illiterate masses from causing a big mistake...this was, after all, near the the time of the French Revolution.

The Electoral College was a compromise between the English law at the time that only allowed property owners to vote, and opening it up to a free-for-all.

Now we have almost 100% literacy by those standards, but people are still poorly informed and subject to persuasion by who spends the most money on mass media.

Add to that gerrymandering, which both parties engage in when in power.

To my mind, the influence of money on politics, the lack of term limits, and the lock that both parties have on the system (making it almost impossible for a third party candidate to succeed) completely subverts our Founder's intent, Electoral College or not.

I'd prefer popular vote given where we are, but that's only a poor solution.

So according to your cliche, Republicans are the sheep and the Democrats are the wolves? The electoral college had its time, and its time has passed. No one can argue that some votes should count, and some should not count, unless your Trump. In addition, the EC distorts the presidential race because both parties write off the more than 40 states that they know they either cant win, or cant lose. Lastly, an individual citizen in Wyoming has more than triple (almost quadruple) the weight in electoral votes as an individual in California.

That's part of my concern as well, SE. My vote in Virginia matters...your vote in New York means shit.

Shouldn't be that way.

That's part of my concern as well, SE. My vote in Virginia matters...your vote in New York means shit.

Shouldn't be that way.

Getting rid of the EC wouldn't make a vote in NY count any more than it does now. We would still have the same problem. Getting rid of the EC is extremely unfair to smaller states with different needs and values. Plus, to anyone<not you> who says Hillary lost because of the EC I'd ask, doesn't she understand how Presidential elections work?? Apparently not, she was 0-2.

Archived